Color Survey for School [KARMA] Done!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=54962

Psyc

23-02-2007 20:47:03

Ok, so I have to do a color survey on [b034147fe3f]10[/b034147fe3f] people about 3 different sites for one of my online classes. I don't feel like getting 10 people to do it and most people I know wouldn't know what I'd be asking them.

So, if 10 of you guys could participate, please? D

The three web sites are
The Eisenhower National Clearinghouse @ http//www.enc.org/fr_index.htm
CBS Online @ http//www.cbs.com/
Universal Studios @ http//showcase.universalstudios.com/

The questions are (must answer all of these for each site)
1.With regards to color, what first draws your attention on this web page?

2.What strikes you most about the use of color on this web page? Why?

3.Does color choice play any role in your ability to read the content on this web page? How?

4.Do the graphics and background color compete with or complement each other? In what ways?

And once you're done doing those the last question for all 3 sites is
Which web site made best use of color with regards to graphics, text, and background?

I would really appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,
Pam

Edit Changed the title to make it more appealing.

theysayjump

23-02-2007 22:15:25

http//www.enc.org/fr_index.htm

1.) The orange login box, mainly because it's completely different than the rest of the page. Also the logo in the top left. Whilst the rest of the page has a solid colour, this has a mix between a light and darker colour so that's why it got my attention.
2.) The colours are light and welcoming, not too harsh and complement each other.
3.) No
4.) The only thing I don't like about the site page is the image of the woman. It's distracting and doesn't go very well, the red of her shirt conflicts with the the light oranges and blues.

http//www.cbs.com/

1.) The blue box on the right and the blue menu's on the left.
2.) The colour is dark and not very welcoming. Too much of the same colour and it doesn't look like they put much time, effort or thought into it (for a company the size of CBS you'd think they'd have a nicer site).
3.) Not really, but in certain places the blues are dark and if they were any darker they would be a pain on the eyes to read.
4.) They don't compete and they slightly complement. I think more than just two colours (blue and white) would make the site much easier on the eye.

http//showcase.universalstudios.com/

1.) The type underneath the media player (Media Showcase).
2.) I like it a lot. It's warm and welcoming, doesn't have tons of distracting colours or images and flows well.
3.) Not too much. Some of the white fonts can slightly blend in with the lighter background colours.
4.) I like the background images, but the lighter lines on the darker background parts can be somewhat distracting.

The Universal Studios site is the one I like the best.

Hope that helps. )

guelah75

23-02-2007 23:36:06

Site One

1. Definitely the color of the login box.
2. I like the shading from dark to light from top to bottom(blue to purple)
3. Well the text of the website has a white background making it easy to read.
4. I like the color combo of blues and orange.

Site Two

1. The black stripe of color at the top of the website is what I notice first.
2. Again the use of blues, very easy on the eyes
3. White text on blue background is easy to read.
4. yes, the use of shading of the color blue works well

Site Three

1. Red Universal image box.
2. Simple colors with shading again easy on my eyes.
3. No, text is harder to read than the other sites.
4. The only thing I dont like is the two "ad" boxes in the top right corner, in my opinion doesnt go well with the site.

The CBS site to me was the most appealing site

soon2bbriz

24-02-2007 00:15:21

1. Orange Log In box stands out..warm color when all others on page are cool.
2. The way the side bars go from blue to purple. Just notice the change as you scroll down.
3. The color choice is great for reading. Can't go wrong with black text on white background. very easy to read.
4. I think it all complements well. Easy to read all info. No distractions with too many graphics. straight to the point site.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. The dark blue box on the left.
2. Not very exciting. Nothing really pops out at you. All blends together.
3. Easy to read site again. i like reading the white type on the blue background.
4. I would like to see a little more variety but it complements well. stays consistant
--------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The yellow bar at the top
2. the dark reds and bright yellows offer a good contrast together
3. Harder to read. can't read the white type on the bright yellow as well as on the dark red.
4. Colors compete more than complement. Going from dark on the left side of page to bright on the right side. Easier to read on the left side of page. Graphics at the top don't go very well with the red-yellow combo.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I liked the CBS site the best. It was easiest to read.

Psyc

24-02-2007 10:22:31

Ok, I gave TSJ +karma. I've been trying to give you two karma as well but it's not letting me. I'll try later.

I still need 7 more people, I could use some help.
It's nothing painful, so please help me out.

Armstrong

24-02-2007 20:10:12

enc.org

black bold lettering, so black

plain, but good for contrast

3.Does color choice play any role in your ability to read the content on this web page? How?

yes, black on white makes it very helpful

4.Do the graphics and background color compete with or complement each other? In what ways?

no, looks good

cbs.com

the yellow banner ad on the right. initial to load and brightest.

over coloring, between the faces and use of graphics, the amount of colors on the pages overrides much of the content. confuses my eyes

yes, there is no hierarchy in the page elements. the colors make my eyes jump around the page and make it very hard to pin point any specific area to start.

Yes, there is too much going on. i have no idea where to stop and read

Universal

The white lettering

light letters on a dark background. the red and orange are extremely dominant

yes, white is extremely hard to read on these bright of colors. the white lines also disrupt the linear movement

Nom mainly just the words.

QUESTION 4 the first one

condra

24-02-2007 20:35:58

http//www.enc.org/fr_index.htm

1. Very blue, color continuous and different shades consistent with the main theme color
2. The transition between blue and violet also, the bit of orange at the bottom of the page makes a weird contrastl; i guess its ok since it is the complement of violet
3. the too bright blue and the white spots tend to distract me from reading the actual content; the links section is way too bright, i cannot ever read it without my eyes hurting
4. the right and left areas of blue complement the text area, but the top spot competes with the actual ''content''

http//www.cbs.com/
1. It is very dark blue, very loaded page;

2. the contrast between the white and the black - navy blue in the background; it is very disconcerting

3. yes, it distracts me; it is again painful to read the text and actually pay attention, because of the contrast and the color changement of the ads.

4. the compete too many things to look at, to many things to pay attention to

http//showcase.universalstudios.com/
1. The color spread - use of different reds and oranges that are similar and work tgther

2. very nice put, clean colors, work well one with another, calm and warm, look appealing

3. yes, i think it makes it easy to follow and read the content

4. they complement in a good way, as tones of red are used, but they all work well together (not as red and lets say pink would get along)

Which web site made best use of color with regards to graphics, text, and background?

3rd - http//showcase.universalstudios.com/

D

Psyc

24-02-2007 20:54:37

You guys are awesome. I gave guelah karma, and I'll keep giving it as the forum lets me.

5 more, 5 more, 5 more... D

Armstrong

24-02-2007 21:02:07

what class is this for?

harley_girl1963

25-02-2007 00:49:55

go enc

[b4614c0e0c6]The dark blue line under the enc banner[/b4614c0e0c6]

[b4614c0e0c6]I liked the different shades of the color blue. Using only one color makes the page look simpler and easier to read.[/b4614c0e0c6]

[b4614c0e0c6]
Yes, It's very easy to read using only blue. It doesn't muddy up the print and the use of blue for links makes them easy to find.[/b4614c0e0c6]

[b4614c0e0c6]Not at all. This page is very easy to read because there are no graphics or colors in the way of the print.[/b4614c0e0c6]

cbs.com

[b4614c0e0c6]The big blue video link to the Amazing Race All Stars[/b4614c0e0c6]

[b4614c0e0c6]I think blue is a great color to use. It's neutral and it doesn't detract from everything else on the page.[/b4614c0e0c6]

[b4614c0e0c6]Yes. The page is very easy to read. The only think that detracts me is my eyesight. I like the use of blue background and white print. That is very easy to read - it jumps out at you![/b4614c0e0c6]

[b4614c0e0c6]I think they complement each other. This page looks great. It uses great graphics and the use of blue and black make it pleasant to browse.[/b4614c0e0c6]

Universal Studios

[b4614c0e0c6]The fact that the little blue box clashes with the bright orange and red!!! [/b4614c0e0c6]

[b4614c0e0c6]It's awful, horrible. Poor choice of color. It gives me a headache.[/b4614c0e0c6]

[b4614c0e0c6]Yes. I would not look at this page for more than a few seconds. The color jumps out and slaps me in the face. Seriously, makes my head hurt. I hate this page.[/b4614c0e0c6]

[b4614c0e0c6]There is definite competion. The color and graphic overrule the print to the point that I just don't care what it says, I just want out!![/b4614c0e0c6]

And once you're done doing those the last question for all 3 sites is

[b4614c0e0c6]Definitely the CBS. com site[/b4614c0e0c6]

moviemadnessman

25-02-2007 01:04:53

Eisenhower National Clearinghouse
1. The orange login box, and the picture in the center.
2. With the exception of the login box, it is very nice to look at and read.
3. The color would not affect my reading, but the orange color of the login box distracts my attention a little.
4. Again, the background and colors would be a compliment, if the login box was not such a focus issue.

CBS
1. The amount of blue used on the screen.
2. The color is soothing, but also just a little too dark to be entirely welcoming. It doesn't drive me away, but it is not as 'friendly' looking as it could be.
3. Everything is really readable, except for the upper-left corner, where the words appear slightly blurry because the background is so dark.
4. The color is just there. With the exception of the one corner, the words are easily read no matter what the font and background colors.

Universal Studios
1. The 'Universal' logo on the media player.
2. The colors are warm, but not very soothing.
3. The colors compliment the text very well, and everything is easily ledgible.
4. Again, the background compliments the text in my opinion. The 'hidden' Media Showcase in the background is slightly distracting, but not enough that it can't be overlooked.

I think I found the Universal site to be the best overall, because it was overall uniform and easy to read.

Psyc

25-02-2007 05:12:38

[quotefd5603d2aa="Armstrong"]what class is this for?[/quotefd5603d2aa]

"Web Design & Artistry"
I was really hoping it would be a really good and advanced class but so far we've done a lot of basic stuff. ?

Anyway, thank you harley_girl and moviemadnessman. Karma coming your way soon.

I just need 3 more. P

Armstrong

25-02-2007 08:27:55

unfortunatly those classes usually are. Im taking a web marketing class right now, but im the only one in there thats ever done anything...including knowing what html is...

Psyc

25-02-2007 08:49:18

Well I took a class in Flash last semester and it was really good. I learned a lot of stuff. Hopefully we'll start doing cooler stuff in the upcoming weeks.

Psyc

25-02-2007 10:59:08

Ok I just need two more people and I'm done.

2 more, [i4c977ee2ff]2 more[/i4c977ee2ff].

Psyc

25-02-2007 16:39:59

[bdea95a7128]One more person please.[/bdea95a7128]

Tsmith10803

25-02-2007 17:33:00

1. Orange Login Box
2. They're friendly colors, nice to look at
3. No, since they're all such light colors, everything is fine
4. They all complement eachother except for how dark the picture of the women in the center is.

1. The center picture, everything else is Black or Blue, but the center is an assortment of different colors.
2. Darker colors than the first, but they all mix together well, also makes it feel like a welcoming site.
3. The dark blue tabs on the left make it hard to read the text written on them.
4. They all fit together fine.

1.Nothing really...they're all quite the same
2. Kind of harsher on the eyes because of how bright it is
3. The text reads fine, but the overall colors hurts the eyes
4. They go well with eachother, but I don't like the choice overall.

Psyc

25-02-2007 18:00:32

Which one did you think was the best overall, Tsmith?

Tsmith10803

25-02-2007 20:40:28

I liked the CBS one, I like darker colors rather than light ones (at risk of sounding emo)

But I love bright colors in any form of Tie Dye, Dark ones in Tie Dye too )

Psyc

26-02-2007 04:05:55

Ok, cool. Thank you all for helping me getting done. Everyone that participated will get Karma. wink