W9 question and ID

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=54568

gmario

20-02-2007 06:59:34

I recently worked on a site and the owner told me that i would need to submit my W9 since i reached the limit of $600 for the year, so i submitted my W9 to them and on the support ticket he stated that after i gave him my W9 i would not have to worry in the future on getting paid so they ended up paying me the $760, and now they are holding on paying me now saying that they need my ID? i dun have a problem with buying a sacnner to scan my ID just dont get why they would tell me this now and then before saying i would have no more hassles since they had my W9? has this happen to anyone else?

tracemhunter

20-02-2007 07:19:23

i have never had to submit id for the sites that require a w-9. something sounds fishy...

zwarrior99

20-02-2007 08:04:39

just state the network that your refering about

gmario

20-02-2007 08:26:46

ordercash4free, the owner is asking me now for a copy of my ID after last month he stated on our support ticket that once he had my W9 i would go thru no hassles, and now they owe me $1120 and are putting me on hold because they need my ID, not a big deal just sounds wierd that he would do this after he told me before that no more hassles after we have your W9 and keep earning cash on our site, and i did and look what happens now

Gigante

20-02-2007 08:33:01

Sounds like a way to trying to steal your money. There is nothing that the site should need your ID for.

gmario

20-02-2007 08:35:38

i know thats why im nervous they have my Tax info and now they want me to Scann them a copy of my ID, pretty fishy im not trying to have to deal with identity theft, and reading alot on the forums about people getting their credit cards overcharged just scares me even more, but they owe me $1120 (!!!

doylnea

20-02-2007 08:45:18

[quote84ade9be9d="Gigante"]Sounds like a way to trying to steal your money. There is nothing that the site should need your ID for.[/quote84ade9be9d]

Except to verify the info on the W9 is accurate?

gmario

20-02-2007 08:53:49

yea im sending my ID just found it wierd they didnt tell me this b4

TFOAF

20-02-2007 09:09:55

Yeah, what the hell? Your "ID" is really on it because you put your Social Security Number on it. O_o

gmario

20-02-2007 09:17:39

well i sented them my ID hope they quit the BS now since they did place me on hold saying i violated the rules i dont think that should of been necessary

zwarrior99

20-02-2007 09:22:45

I did hear there a very hold friendly network. But that is BS, i would just send the ID with my name/address block out everything else like number maybe even picture

gmario

20-02-2007 09:33:02

now im getting an error on my email saying that they are not accept my emails since i got put on hold, i guess it means that they wont accept my email?? this makes no sence

TryinToGetPaid

20-02-2007 09:35:36

upload it somewhere and open a support ticket with the link?

gmario

20-02-2007 09:40:32

ok hopefully that will work, becuase i the person who refered me melmarie80 from A4F is saying she wants a refund from me? even thought i went green for her back in 12/27/06 i believe and i been getting paid from Ordercash4free before, and i find it odd that shes just cashing out now

bballp6699

20-02-2007 10:05:16

Why were you put on hold in the first place?

gmario

20-02-2007 10:20:05

He didn't tell me why i was on hold, but this is what the support ticket said

Admin 2007-02-19 224745 Mario, before we can continue to make payments to you we must be assured of your identity by way of a state-issued ID scan from you. Please scan the ID and email= it to email=admin@orderit4free.comadmin@orderit4free.com it to email=admin@orderit4free.comadmin@orderit4free.com/email with the subject being your referral link

and now the wierd part is when i try to send my ID to that email i keep getting an error saying that it could not be deliver to that following email

Admin

20-02-2007 10:39:43

while what he's doing is cautious, i don't think its unreasonable. if you falsified info on your w9 and he paid you, he could be held liable for the taxes on the amount which would end up in him losing money.

if i were you i'd send in ID and say "thanks" for not being disqualified. you're telling me you were legitimately interested in almost $2000 worth of offers??

gmario

20-02-2007 10:46:27

i only completed the offer requieremnt i was suppose to do, the rest were people i refer who have gone green, and he clearly stated i could make as much as money as i wanted on his site with no hassles

johnjimjones

20-02-2007 10:49:15

Asking for ID isn't really out of the question for W-9s. While it is scary/sketchy that they now have just about all of your information to steal your identity, they do need to verify everything.

gmario

20-02-2007 10:51:18

yea i know but the crazy part is that he gave me the email to send him my ID but i keep getting an error everytime i try to email him my ID

Admin

20-02-2007 10:51:42

[quote22f0730c90="gmario"]i only completed the offer requieremnt i was suppose to do, the rest were people i refer who have gone green, and he clearly stated i could make as much as money as i wanted on his site with no hassles[/quote22f0730c90]oh - my bad. congrats then! you should try fusioncash if you're that good at generating referrals... i can set you up with a publisher account and pay you very well

[quote22f0730c90="johnjimjones"]Asking for ID isn't really out of the question for W-9s. While it is scary/sketchy that they now have just about all of your information to steal your identity, they do need to verify everything.[/quote22f0730c90]i dont even think its that sketchy. most people are fine with faxing private info to paypal -- and paypal is a much more evil corporation than Order4Free imo.

identity theft is a very real concern but a site owner has much more to lose than to gain by stealing a member's identity. i mean they can't be that wealthy if they're doing a freebie site, right?

gmario

20-02-2007 10:52:16

yea i know but the crazy part is that he gave me the email to send him my ID but i keep getting an error everytime i try to email him my ID

From Mail Administrator <Postmaster@<PostmasterDomain>> Add to Address Book
Date 2007/02/20 Tue PM 121611 EST
To email==romero71@bellsouth.netromero71@bellsouth.net=romero71@bellsouth.netromero71@bellsouth.net/email
Subject Mail System Error - Returned Mail

.neturl==http://=http:///url 007 This e-mail message was undeliverable due to the
following reason

.neturl==http://=http:///url 018 Each of the following recipients were rejected by a
destination mail system.

Note The reasons given by the destination mail system are included
to help you determine why each recipient was rejected.

Solution
Attempt to resend, or contact the recipient by alternate means to let
them know about the issue.

Recipient <admin>
Reason 5.1.1 <admin>... User unknown

bballp6699

20-02-2007 10:53:52

[quotefa38b2cda9="Admin"]i mean they can't be that wealthy if they're doing a freebie site, right?[/quotefa38b2cda9]

dmorris... shock

gmario

20-02-2007 10:58:38

i never tried fusion cash before but will defently look into it after this is fix since they are holding off on $1120 that they need to pay me since none of the reffs were put on hold or anything

kerms

20-02-2007 11:01:50

[quote05d1e559c3="gmario"]yea i know but the crazy part is that he gave me the email to send him my ID but i keep getting an error everytime i try to email him my ID

From Mail Administrator <Postmaster@<PostmasterDomain>> Add to Address Book
Date 2007/02/20 Tue PM 121611 EST
To email==romero71@bellsouth.netromero71@bellsouth.net=romero71@bellsouth.netromero71@bellsouth.net/email
Subject Mail System Error - Returned Mail

.neturl==http://=http:///url 007 This e-mail message was undeliverable due to the
following reason

.neturl==http://=http:///url 018 Each of the following recipients were rejected by a
destination mail system.

Note The reasons given by the destination mail system are included
to help you determine why each recipient was rejected.

Solution
Attempt to resend, or contact the recipient by alternate means to let
them know about the issue.

Recipient <admin>
Reason 5.1.1 <admin>... User unknown[/quote05d1e559c3]

just saw the topic, you have a PM.

I think it's crazy for people to think im simply looking to steal an identity. I didn't mean for you to have to buy a scanner, I could have given you a fax number.

Either way, I see the scan now and you are off hold. We only have one default hold message, so don't think that you were on hold for fraud

gmario

20-02-2007 11:05:14

Thank you!

kerms

20-02-2007 11:07:02

re-place your order so that i can make sure it goes out in this batch

gmario

20-02-2007 11:09:38

it wont let me replace it, i dont see the cashout botton anywere it just says now i need $24 to cashout

johnjimjones

20-02-2007 14:59:42

[quote5df3306785="Admin"]
[quote5df3306785="johnjimjones"]Asking for ID isn't really out of the question for W-9s. While it is scary/sketchy that they now have just about all of your information to steal your identity, they do need to verify everything.[/quote5df3306785]i dont even think its that sketchy. most people are fine with faxing private info to paypal -- and paypal is a much more evil corporation than Order4Free imo.

identity theft is a very real concern but a site owner has much more to lose than to gain by stealing a member's identity. i mean they can't be that wealthy if they're doing a freebie site, right?[/quote5df3306785]

Right, but I think we're coming from both sides of the issue. My main concern (as a customer/consumer whatever) is my private information and you're used to running the site and needing that information for documentation. Both sides have their points.

It isn't just Orderit4free, it's any site that would request that I would be weary.

OldManWrigley

20-02-2007 15:20:49

I thought Kerms was a scammer? Guess not, he's seemed to have taken care of this pretty well.....

Congrats OP on the huge payout!!

theysayjump

20-02-2007 15:22:54

[quote6744968bcc="OldManWrigley"]I thought Kerms was a scammer?[/quote6744968bcc]

?

OldManWrigley

20-02-2007 15:31:16

Didn't him and FGR have this big thing? I swear I thought I never heard anything good about the infamous "Kerms". Guess I was mistaken and/or didn't do enough research.

unknown uchiha

20-02-2007 15:31:58

FGR also had a row with YourGiftsFree

OldManWrigley

20-02-2007 16:02:15

I'm about to have a row with YGF if I don't get an update on my order of Peeps.

condra

20-02-2007 17:53:56

[quoteff23ec6ed2="kerms"]re-place your order so that i can make sure it goes out in this batch[/quoteff23ec6ed2]

I am just wondering when is ''this batch'' sent ?

Dave82

20-02-2007 21:08:51

[quoted61ce4eb07="OldManWrigley"]I'm about to have a row with YGF if I don't get an update on my order of Peeps.[/quoted61ce4eb07]

I seriously hope the peep thing is a joke. It is.... right?

findme

21-02-2007 07:53:49

hmm from my point of view i see that they are trying to get as much money as possible even if its on borrowed time by making the user scan their id. They are getting like "paypal" haha. ( inside joke )

This is the first time i have ever heard such a thing like this.

dmorris68

21-02-2007 10:24:23

[quote25ac1949e3="findme"]hmm from my point of view i see that they are trying to get as much money as possible even if its on borrowed time by making the user scan their id. They are getting like "paypal" haha. ( inside joke )

This is the first time i have ever heard such a thing like this.[/quote25ac1949e3]
Freebie sites have been spot-checking ID's for years now. It's nothing new, nor is it out of the ordinary. If you're going to conduct faceless, online business transactions, especially one where you stand to profit significantly in an industry where fraud runs rampant, you've got to be willing to prove your identity to within a reasonable doubt at least.

I've been conducting online transactions for years, and have had to mail or fax ID several times to a variety of vendors and businesses. It's a minor annoyance sometimes, but no big deal. You can even blur out your license number if you're worried about it, but they already have your SSN (on the W9) and your name/address (which is required to be accurate when you sign up, remember?) so I don't see what the big concern is with the information.

givmea1032

21-02-2007 12:04:21

It's just like when you get a real job, I know, some of us have them. You fill out your W-4 for withholdings and it requires 2 IDs... Paying out 2 grand and then getting stuck with the taxes cause it was a fake W-9 would definately suck....

OldManWrigley

24-02-2007 11:26:51

[quote0ca30a3579="Dave82"][quote0ca30a3579="OldManWrigley"]I'm about to have a row with YGF if I don't get an update on my order of Peeps.[/quote0ca30a3579]

I seriously hope the peep thing is a joke. It is.... right?[/quote0ca30a3579]

Nope

holyvampire32

24-02-2007 18:56:03

[quote5962bb6589="dmorris68"][quote5962bb6589="findme"]hmm from my point of view i see that they are trying to get as much money as possible even if its on borrowed time by making the user scan their id. They are getting like "paypal" haha. ( inside joke )

This is the first time i have ever heard such a thing like this.[/quote5962bb6589]
Freebie sites have been spot-checking ID's for years now. It's nothing new, nor is it out of the ordinary. If you're going to conduct faceless, online business transactions, especially one where you stand to profit significantly in an industry where fraud runs rampant, you've got to be willing to prove your identity to within a reasonable doubt at least.

I've been conducting online transactions for years, and have had to mail or fax ID several times to a variety of vendors and businesses. It's a minor annoyance sometimes, but no big deal. You can even blur out your license number if you're worried about it, but they already have your SSN (on the W9) and your name/address (which is required to be accurate when you sign up, remember?) so I don't see what the big concern is with the information.[/quote5962bb6589]

Now I'm still new to the freebie scene and so I haven't completed that many sites but what I'm wondering about is about these W-9 forms, you have to fill that out when you recieve $600+ in freebies correct? Now do I have to do this per site like if I do several Trainn.org sites would I have to do a W-9 for all of them and if I do different sites but each site is less then 600 respectively but in total they are over 600 would I have to do one and where would it go to?

You see I'm not to keen on the idea of giving a online company my SS#. I'm already a little uneasy giving my name and address.

So can anyone answer my questions?

dmorris68

24-02-2007 20:00:32

A W9 is required by law to be maintained on file if a company intends to claim payouts as a business expense -- and any company that plans to stay in business will do so.

The $600 rule is cumulative, not per prize, and is per company. Many networks that run multiple sites, where it's possible that you could get over $600 in prizes, will require a W9 even for the smallest amount. That way they're covered should you continue and complete other sites within their network.

The law requires you to claim the prize as income regardless of the amount, the $600 threshold is just the amount required for the company to track payments to you via a W9. Some multi-site networks will require a W9 for every prize regardless of value, even if you've sent the same company one before.

If you're going to succeed in the freebie scene (or any other online business venture where money changes hands outside of retail sales) then you'll have to get used to giving our your info. It's just the way businesses operate, whether online or brick & mortar. If you're the least bit worried about it, then I'd say the freebie hobby isn't for you.

condra

24-02-2007 20:03:45

but how about Canadian users? i asked some of the sites, some of them will make us fill up a different one since qe're not us citizes, but some networks say just ne need for it.
anyone knows why is that? can they get around with paying us without a W-9 bc we are in Canada? and if we complete the form, will we be double-taxed? me confused ....

holyvampire32

25-02-2007 15:52:07

[quote6cd2baf380="dmorris68"]A W9 is required by law to be maintained on file if a company intends to claim payouts as a business expense -- and any company that plans to stay in business will do so.

The $600 rule is cumulative, not per prize, and is per company. Many networks that run multiple sites, where it's possible that you could get over $600 in prizes, will require a W9 even for the smallest amount. That way they're covered should you continue and complete other sites within their network.

The law requires you to claim the prize as income regardless of the amount, the $600 threshold is just the amount required for the company to track payments to you via a W9. Some multi-site networks will require a W9 for every prize regardless of value, even if you've sent the same company one before.

If you're going to succeed in the freebie scene (or any other online business venture where money changes hands outside of retail sales) then you'll have to get used to giving our your info. It's just the way businesses operate, whether online or brick & mortar. If you're the least bit worried about it, then I'd say the freebie hobby isn't for you.[/quote6cd2baf380]

I'm just worried about Identity Theift and all the other stuff that you can do with an SS number as and a name, that's why I only work with the legit and professional sites like Trainn and 123stuffforfree

dmorris68

27-02-2007 11:20:55

[quote6559c29a82="holyvampire32"][quote6559c29a82="dmorris68"]A W9 is required by law to be maintained on file if a company intends to claim payouts as a business expense -- and any company that plans to stay in business will do so.

If you're going to succeed in the freebie scene (or any other online business venture where money changes hands outside of retail sales) then you'll have to get used to giving our your info. It's just the way businesses operate, whether online or brick & mortar. If you're the least bit worried about it, then I'd say the freebie hobby isn't for you.[/quote6559c29a82]

I'm just worried about Identity Theift and all the other stuff that you can do with an SS number as and a name, that's why I only work with the legit and professional sites like Trainn and 123stuffforfree[/quote6559c29a82]
And it's a legitimate concern. I'm not downplaying it, just commenting on the reality of this sort of transaction -- it is what it is, and if you want to participate, you have to do it. You should only conduct business with trustworthy companies if you're overly concerned about it, and even with those, breaches can still happen that expose your information.

It's like a lot of people being paranoid about ever entering their CC online for lianythingli but never think twice about handing it to the waiter/waitress/mechanic/etc who disappears with the card for a few minutes, or writing it on a catalog order form or giving it over the phone -- all behaviors that are MORE risky than entering it on a secure web page. That's how people's CC's used to get ripped off. It's harder now since most online/mail-order places verify billing info and double-check alternate ship-to addresses, but it's an example of how people's anxiety over one area of risk can completely blind them to another. The benefits of this age of electronic communication and commerce are not without its risks, but they should be balanced against the rewards as well. Be prudent, but not paranoid, is my motto.