Fire without warning

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=54560

moviemadnessman

20-02-2007 02:16:51

So I went out in the hall not 20 minutes ago to return something to a neighbor, and I see the hall is filled with smoke, along with my RA and another resident a little ways down the hall. We all go into our lounge, where we see the microwave is on fire! It was put out and the incident was reported, but the strangest thing is that at no point did it set a single fire alarm off.

The smoke could be smelled outside the building (I live on the 6th floor), and there are numerous fire alarms (including one not 6 ft above the flaming microwave). It was tested to be working fine a few weeks ago, but apparently, it didn't work.

So, just a heads up reminder to check your fire alarms and make sure they are working, because the ones where I live sure don't work.

liMods, if this isn't an appropriate off topic discussion when it concerns safety, then I apologizeli

Tholek

20-02-2007 02:26:53

This reminds me of that NJ dorm fire. Seton Hall, wasn't it?

You shouldn't let this go.

moviemadnessman

20-02-2007 02:29:14

[quote4f6de2912f="Tholek"]This reminds me of that NJ dorm fire. Seton Hall, wasn't it?

You shouldn't let this go.[/quote4f6de2912f]

We reported the fire to Public Safety, who seemed just as worried that the fire alarms hadn't gone off either, especially with the proximity of the source to a fire alarm.

Hopefully they do something about it, though ... because I can only imagine what might have happened if noone was awake.

johnjimjones

20-02-2007 06:57:53

Whoa. Almost the same exact thing just happened to me last night. Some moron must have put his popcorn in for 30 minutes and set off the alarm and the hallway smelt burnt and his microwave didn't look to be in good shape.

Dave82

20-02-2007 09:19:48

Haha, yea, freshman year some guy wanted to heat up some soup he had.... in a METAL thermos. I never met someone that did not know that rule.... but anyway, you could smell that [i0f472498cc]smell [/i0f472498cc]for [b0f472498cc]months[/b0f472498cc].

ajasax

20-02-2007 09:27:12

Haha. I thought you were gonna whine to us that you got fired from your job w/o warning lol

I guess they don't teach you how to operate a toaster oven in business school....Ryan started the fiyha!

Twon

20-02-2007 09:29:05

My house is the exact opposite. I don't even have to burn toast and they all start going off. Better to be too sensitive I guess. It's just annoying.

johnjimjones

20-02-2007 09:55:49

[quote5ee91804f4="ajasax"]Haha. I thought you were gonna whine to us that you got fired from your job w/o warning lol

I guess they don't teach you how to operate a toaster oven in business school....Ryan started the fiyha![/quote5ee91804f4]

Mad karma for The Office reference. lol

moviemadnessman

20-02-2007 10:15:20

Yeah ... from the looks of the remains, it appears someone was heating up a sandwich on a styrofoam plate ... and then just walked away. It still reeks throughout the whole building, though.

tjwor

20-02-2007 11:13:15

[quote033c60c57f="Dave82"]Haha, yea, freshman year some guy wanted to heat up some soup he had.... in a METAL thermos. I never met someone that did not know that rule.... but anyway, you could smell that [i033c60c57f]smell [/i033c60c57f]for [b033c60c57f]months[/b033c60c57f].[/quote033c60c57f]

My idiot roomate last year put a can of peas in the microwave, the entire can!

It started sparking and he was looking at it, i heard it and looked over and he goes "dude, what is it doing" and i started yelling take it out of the fucking microwave you idiot! (being my microwave) and he goes, whyd it do that man?

He is just a complete idiot, when he got to college he got on my computer but he didn't know how to get to the internet roll

Long Story short, he is no longer my roomate )

stueybaby17

20-02-2007 21:58:58

Sometimes I wish they didn't test the fire alarms here so often. Like everyother week we are having a fire drill at like 930 when I am watching something good on tv. And we have to leave our rooms and stand outsite for like 20 min. Not a problem in the summer but I mean it's like a quick thing and if your not out in a certain time you are fined. So you end up standing outside in shorts in -5 degree weather with the windchill.

Umm. . . but I dont' think I want to burn to death either. So i guess standing out in the cold isn't so bad.

Tsmith10803

21-02-2007 09:08:54

I was at stop and shop last week, and as my mom and I pull up, I pull over by the side and I'm like, look at all that water flow down the side, that snow is melting, that's going to mess up that roof like nobodies bussiness, and my mom and I just laugh it off, then, five minutes later, the roof on one part collapsed, ha, nobody was hurt, but I was standing right next to it telling the employee to move because it was going to fall, and he did, and then...it fell, and it burst a pipe, and all the water on top of it fell down too, and it was like a giant water baloon. So, all the fire alarms start goign off, and sirens for deaf people, and the fire department come, and decide it's safe to go back in if we use the different door, but they didn't turn off the alarms, so people were shopping with the sirens going off and the alarms blaring, it was funny.

tjwor

21-02-2007 09:41:48

[quote863ddc1246="Tsmith10803"]I was at stop and shop last week, and as my mom and I pull up, I pull over by the side and I'm like, look at all that water flow down the side, that snow is melting, that's going to mess up that roof like nobodies bussiness, and my mom and I just laugh it off, then, five minutes later, the roof on one part collapsed, ha, nobody was hurt, but I was standing right next to it telling the employee to move because it was going to fall, and he did, and then...it fell, and it burst a pipe, and all the water on top of it fell down too, and it was like a giant water baloon. So, all the fire alarms start goign off, and [b863ddc1246]sirens for deaf people[/b863ddc1246], and the fire department come, and decide it's safe to go back in if we use the different door, but they didn't turn off the alarms, so people were shopping with the sirens going off and the alarms blaring, it was funny.[/quote863ddc1246]

what good would a siren be for a deaf person?

TryinToGetPaid

21-02-2007 09:49:45

A siren does not have to make noise.

http//azhearing.com/smoke-detectors/Default.htm

ajasax

21-02-2007 09:51:35

[quotef43bf9bbca]This page is best viewed with screen resolution 800li600. Your current resolution is 1920li1200. If possible, please change the resolution![/quotef43bf9bbca]
Lollerskates lol

tjwor

21-02-2007 11:14:27

[quoted4b9573d17="TryinToGetPaid"]A siren does not have to make noise.

http//azhearing.com/smoke-detectors/Default.htm[/quoted4b9573d17]

nope, a SIREN does have to make a noise, an alarm doesn't )

an acoustical instrument for producing musical tones, consisting essentially of a disk pierced with holes arranged equidistantly in a circle, rotated over a jet or stream of compressed air, steam, or the like, so that the stream is alternately interrupted and allowed to pass.
an implement of this kind used as a whistle, fog signal, or warning device.

anyways, just trying to not be so bored shrug

Tsmith10803

21-02-2007 11:20:25

[quote8c79a682f0="tjwor"]

what good would a siren be for a deaf person?[/quote8c79a682f0]

My bad, I meant Strobes...like, the blinking lights

stueybaby17

27-02-2007 12:30:53

How about this

You are sick, trying to sleep but you can't. You look at the clock and it's 145. Soon you are asleep, but suddenly. . . .

"weird noise the fire alarm makes, weird noise the fire alarm makes, weird noise the fire alarm makes!"

You wake up, it's 230am! And you're thinking WTF! You get up throw on some shoes and wait outsite in a few inches of snow and temperatures around 15 degrees for half an hour.

Oh yes the wonderful police at Bloomsburg University got bored and decided to have a fire drill. It was great fun, I even overheard that a full evacuation only took 1min and 15 seconds. Not too bad I guess.

Now I could go and lay in bed trying to get back to sleep thinking about how safe I am, and not have to worry about dying in a fire until I could fall asleep again at about 4.

It's a good think I didn't have to get up at 7 to get read for an 8 am class. Oh wait, Nevermind, I did have to get up at 7 am for an 8 am class!

I hate fire alarms!

samz465

27-02-2007 13:20:52

[quote78e01a0088="ajasax"]Haha. I thought you were gonna whine to us that you got fired from your job w/o warning lol

I guess they don't teach you how to operate a toaster oven in business school....Ryan started the fiyha![/quote78e01a0088]
/offtopic
I LOVE the office!!!