Who can help me? --Gay Rights

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=54067

samz465

14-02-2007 18:57:06

Ok so basically I need to do a research paper...And I'm pro Gay marriage, unfortunately, someone took the pro debate so i took the con debate.

My problem is...I have no idea why someone would be con.

I don't wanna start up a huge argument or anything..I just want to get help getting articles.

Basically anything proving why con is the way to go...That's about it.

I appreciate any help!!

-Samad.

stueybaby17

14-02-2007 19:07:41

The gov. doesn't like it for tax reasons
They make less money from people filing as married filing jointly.

And religion is against it.

I'm not, I dont' give a shit what they do.

edit That kinda sounds mean, but I'm not trying to be that way. One of my friends is gay and I hold no hostility against him.

theysayjump

14-02-2007 19:10:46

They're dirty, they have diseases that other normal people don't, they smell, bad taste in clothes, fling their arms around when talking, enjoy hamsters a little too much and most of them set fire to new born kittens whenever they can.

What's not to be against?

samz465

14-02-2007 19:10:55

[quote16da28a80f="stueybaby17"]The gov. doesn't like it for tax reasons

edit That kinda sounds mean, but I'm not trying to be that way. One of my friends is gay and I hold no hostility against him.[/quote16da28a80f]

What else?

Any articles?

J4320

14-02-2007 19:18:10

Maybe you could look at some articles on how gay parenting is bad (not saying it is)? shrug

Veek

14-02-2007 19:19:49

[quote18771ac766="theysayjump"]They're dirty, they have diseases that other normal people don't, they smell, bad taste in clothes, fling their arms around when talking, enjoy hamsters a little too much and most of them set fire to new born kittens whenever they can.

What's not to be against?[/quote18771ac766]

Aw baby, this isn't the Scottish thread. cry wink

Yeah, you could bring up on how the Goverment would make less money from it.

P.S I hate getting the opposite position I am for a debate or essay. It's fustrating.

Daggoth

14-02-2007 19:21:46

[quotede23dd29b3="J4320"]Maybe you could look at some articles on how gay parenting is bad (not saying it is)? shrug[/quotede23dd29b3]

The only argument you could come up for that point is that children don't have a role model for one of the two sex. Other than that, children really are not harmed with gay parenting. (I think?)

Here is an article

http//media.www.fairfieldmirror.com/media/storage/paper148/news/2004/04/15/Commentary/The-Debate.Over.Gay.Marriage.Con-659841.shtml

Google and ChaCha are your friend )

moviemadnessman

14-02-2007 19:22:37

[quote9108fa19f2="theysayjump"]They're dirty, they have diseases that other normal people don't, they smell, bad taste in clothes, fling their arms around when talking, enjoy hamsters a little too much and most of them set fire to new born kittens whenever they can.

What's not to be against?[/quote9108fa19f2]

Wow. Lol.

samz465

14-02-2007 19:26:20

[quotee23adebf7d="moviemadnessman"][quotee23adebf7d="theysayjump"]They're dirty, they have diseases that other normal people don't, they smell, bad taste in clothes, fling their arms around when talking, enjoy hamsters a little too much and most of them set fire to new born kittens whenever they can.

What's not to be against?[/quotee23adebf7d]

Wow. Lol.[/quotee23adebf7d]

I think he's being sarcastic...

At least i hope ..

J4320

14-02-2007 19:29:58

[quote932686d3fc="samz465"][quote932686d3fc="moviemadnessman"][quote932686d3fc="theysayjump"]They're dirty, they have diseases that other normal people don't, they smell, bad taste in clothes, fling their arms around when talking, enjoy hamsters a little too much and most of them set fire to new born kittens whenever they can.

What's not to be against?[/quote932686d3fc]

Wow. Lol.[/quote932686d3fc]

I think he's being sarcastic...

At least i hope ..[/quote932686d3fc]

'Jump is the most serious mod we have. That's definitely not sarcasm.

ILoveToys

14-02-2007 19:30:19

Did you ever hear of HIV?

theysayjump

14-02-2007 19:33:07

[quote844b90a873="ILoveToys"]Did you ever hear of HIV?[/quote844b90a873]

NO WOT IS IT A KNEW MP3 FRMAT??1

ilanbg

14-02-2007 19:34:08

[quotedd805d40c6="ILoveToys"]Did you ever hear of HIV?[/quotedd805d40c6]

AKA the "Only-transmittable-via-gay-marriage-disease."

Veek

14-02-2007 19:36:19

Oh man, I'm just going to sit this one out and watch.

stueybaby17

14-02-2007 19:36:57

[quote65d7c0a72a="theysayjump"][quote65d7c0a72a="ILoveToys"]Did you ever hear of HIV?[/quote65d7c0a72a]

NO WOT IS IT A KNEW MP3 FRMAT??1[/quote65d7c0a72a]

Hahaha I actually laughed out loud instead of saying laughed quietly to myself but telling you I laughed out loud

LOL

samz465

14-02-2007 19:37:55

[quotec2310e2531="theysayjump"][quotec2310e2531="ILoveToys"]Did you ever hear of HIV?[/quotec2310e2531]

NO WOT IS IT A KNEW MP3 FRMAT??1[/quotec2310e2531]

Lmfaoo.

ILoveToys

14-02-2007 19:37:58

Sure, it's not just HIV, but he did title it gay rights too, not gay marriage. Those such diseases are quite often very costly to control, and thus driving up health care prices such as health insurance and the like. I was simply offering another point of view, but I guess I was being somewhat factious when I did it.

And come on....Is writing a paper that you don't really agree with so difficult to come up with ideas that you have to go to an internet forum for? I mean this would be a pretty easy paper to find resources for from either side pro or con.

samz465

14-02-2007 19:40:23

[quoteb0949fbc04="ILoveToys"]Sure, it's not just HIV, but he did title it gay rights too, not gay marriage. Those such diseases are quite often very costly to control, and thus driving up health care prices such as health insurance and the like. I was simply offering another point of view, but I guess I was being somewhat factious when I did it.

And come on....Is writing a paper that you don't really agree with so difficult to come up with ideas that you have to go to an internet forum for? I mean this would be a pretty easy paper to find resources for from either side pro or con.[/quoteb0949fbc04]

Harder then you think...

stueybaby17

14-02-2007 19:41:11

[quote080e7394cc="samz465"][quote080e7394cc="stueybaby17"]The gov. doesn't like it for tax reasons

edit That kinda sounds mean, but I'm not trying to be that way. One of my friends is gay and I hold no hostility against him.[/quote080e7394cc]

What else?

Any articles?[/quote080e7394cc]

I have no articles, I'm too lazy to look it up. I just know.

My gay friend dated a drug dealer for a while and got addited to crystal meth and went to gay sex parties regularly while not sleeping for more than two hours for a month straight before overdosing on meth and almosting dying.

Don't think that story helps, but I found it interresting.

MyJobIsThis

14-02-2007 20:08:55

Easy, Religion, My god is against homosexuals basically they will enjoy hell.

Armstrong

14-02-2007 20:14:57

i don't know what to tell you. but just wanted to point out my views. I used to be against it, but to be honest, who cares what they do. Every one is different. rock on fags! (still call them fags, its fun)

tylerc

14-02-2007 20:20:53

[quoteb945b881fe="MyJobIsThis"]Easy, Religion, My god is against homosexuals basically they will enjoy hell.[/quoteb945b881fe]

Since you know god exists and you know hell exists and the USA is a theocracy?

tylerc

14-02-2007 20:23:17

Sorry for the double post, but here is my composition research paper FOR gay marriage.

[quote265ed14178]Ignorance often breeds contempt, and people fear that which they do not understand. Homosexuality’s existence has puzzled the world for centuries, and despite persecution and hate, it has continued on through generations. Many people object to homosexuality, claiming the act is immoral and wrong, and some far-Right movements even go so far as to say AIDS created to rid the world of all the gay people. However, even in today’s “tolerant” society, gays are still not allowed to marry in most of the world, nor are they allowed to adopt or create children. Homosexuality is not a choice, and gays should be allowed to marry, adopt, and create children for psychological and legal reasons.
Homosexuality is not a choice. According to the American Psychological Association, sexual orientation is a result of environmental, cognitive, and biological factors, and it is not a conscious choice that can be voluntarily changed (Topic Sexuality, 2004). Orientation shows during adolescence, prior to any sexual experiences. This may be the reason that people often say they always knew someone was gay. If homosexuality were a choice, then any heterosexual could wake up the next day and decide to be attracted to the same sex at a whim. Homosexuals are not asking for special rights, they are simply asking for the rights everyone else has (Rauch, 2004). One concern among many Christian fundamentalist groups is that allowing gay marriage would turn other people gay. This is ludicrous, and saying that would turn people gay is the same as saying hanging around tall people will make other people tall.
There are several legal issues that arise from the potential outlawing of gay marriage. The first amendment of the Constitution guarantees a separation of church and state by the Establishment Clause, which states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.” Since marriage is a religious institution, the government has no right to regulate who can and cannot get married. The fourteenth amendment states
“All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.” (Morgan, n.d.)
Reading this, it is apparent that all citizens, not just heterosexuals, are equal under the law. If this is the case, then why are gays not allowed to marry in thirty-seven states? Denying homosexuals the rights to marry is a clear violation of the fourteenth amendment.
In 2003, the United States Supreme Court struck down Texas’s anti-sodomy laws in the court case Lawrence vs. Texas. The court’s opinion stated, “the court’s obligation is to define the liberty of all, not to mandate its own moral code,” (Morgan, n.d.). The 1947 case of Everson vs. Board of Education of Ewing Township, a case involving parochial school students riding on public school buses, furthered the separation of church and state. In this case, the court stated, “the first amendment has erected a wall between church and state. That wall must be kept high and impregnable. We would not approve the slightest breach,” (Morgan, n.d.). Allowing civil unions is a step in the right direction, but in reality, is no different than the “separate but equal” facilities for blacks and whites, which were indeed separate, but far from equal (Rauch, 2004, p. 68). In Indiana, the ban on gay marriage will be voted on in 2008 (Burns, 2005, p. 37). Another concern among anti-gay marriage movements is that allowing gay marriage will “open the door” to people wanting to marry pets, family members, or multiple partners. Such beliefs are unfounded; animals have no legal standing and incest and polygamy are illegal.
Homosexuals should be allowed to adopt and create children. According to the American Psychological Association, they are just as likely to have supportive, healthy environments for their children (2004). Other studies by the APA show no developmental differences between children in the four critical developmental areas intelligence, psychological adjustment, social adjustment, and popularity with friends (2004). A parent’s sexual orientation does not determine the child’s sexual orientation, and to say that gay parents would raise gay children is to straight parents would only raise straight children. If this were true, there would be no gay people (Burns, 2005, p. 60). The American Psychological Association has also concluded that effective parenting skills are not related to the sexual orientation of the parents, nor is the psychological well-being of the children (2004). Research done by the APA also suggests that children of homosexual parents have normal relationships with peers and adults (2004). Gay parents have been shown to divide the childcare evenly and are generally satisfied in their relationships with their partners, and research has failed to confirm if children will experience gender or sexual identity issues if they have gay parents (2004). Some studies conducted by the APA suggest that homosexuals may be better parents than heterosexuals, perhaps because they understand what it means to be different, and how to communicate their emotions to the child in a more effective manner (Rauch, 2004, p. 137). Fears of children being sexually abused by homosexual parents have no scientific backing (Resolution on Sexual Orientations, Parents, and Children, 2004). In many places, gays are not allowed to adopt children, despite the need for stable environments for children to grow up in. Two primary concerns among anti-gay activists with regard to raising children are children needing a mother and father influence while growing up, and many feel that the purpose of marriage is to reproduce (Rauch, 2004, p. 49). Those are both valid points, however, if they are true, why are there single-parent households in the United States and why are old and sterile people allowed to marry? The point of marriage is to build a life together, and children should be brought up in any stable environment that can be provided for them.
Legalizing gay marriage would change the United States, but for the better. The United States is known around the world as a nation of tolerance and freedom, and always has been, but this potential ban of gay marriage makes us no better than the nation of prejudice and hatred against blacks. Same-sex marriage would redefine marriage as a union between two people, not just a man and a woman, who want to build a life together and contribute to the community in which they live (Rauch, 2004, p. 82). Marriage is often thought of as the final step into adulthood; people go from high school, into college, get a job, and then get married. Denying marriage to homosexuals is denying them the right to completely grow up and become an adult (Rauch, 2004, p. 83). Allowing homosexuals to marry would reestablish the United States as a nation of tolerance and freedom, where people are free to be their own person.
There are some problems that would arise from the legalization of gay marriage. For example, many people feel that marriage should only be between a man and woman, and that God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve (Burns, 2005, p. 56). Opposing same-sex marriage on religious grounds is completely acceptable, and well within anyone’s first amendment rights, but the government has no right to regulate the religious institution of marriage. Furthermore, churches would not have to permit homosexuals to marry within their walls, and the government could not do anything about it. Again, the churches have the right to do this, but not allowing homosexuals to marry is a blatant violation of fourteenth amendment rights.
Homosexuals are not the only people that would benefit from the legalization of same-sex marriage—heterosexuals would too. According to Rauch, marriage serves three purposes provides a healthy environment for children, helps young people mature, and provides people with caregivers once they age (2004, p. 118). Rauch, a homosexual, also suggests that committed relationships would stabilize the community, and could, in theory, lead to a slower spread of sexually transmitted diseases (2004, p. 126). Married households would also allow for a greater number of stable environments for children to grow up in, whether the children are adopted or created. Since they would be forced to grow up and mature, the community would have more productive members.
As has been proven, homosexuality is not a choice, and prohibiting gays to marry, adopt, or create children is an obvious violation of their inalienable rights. Permitting same-sex marriage would stop the treatment of homosexuals as second-class citizens, and give the United States the prominence it once had as a free, accepting nation. Homosexuality has continued, even though there have been repeated attempts to stop it. Christian fundamentalists should realize that gays are not going away, and their persecution makes them no better than the people who protested against blacks in the 1950s. Perhaps with a little more education and an open mind, people will stop hating that which they do not know.[/quote265ed14178]

zdub08

14-02-2007 20:34:15

[quotef2d4d56950="MyJobIsThis"]Easy, Religion, My god is against homosexuals basically they will enjoy hell.[/quotef2d4d56950]
who is your god?

Veek

14-02-2007 20:38:59

[quotef33dbeadb1="zdub08"][quotef33dbeadb1="MyJobIsThis"]Easy, Religion, My god is against homosexuals basically they will enjoy hell.[/quotef33dbeadb1]
who is your god?[/quotef33dbeadb1]

Clearly a marker.

amir89630

14-02-2007 20:59:38

[quote0ef6be6d36="tylerc"]Sorry for the double post, but here is my composition research paper FOR gay marriage.

[quote0ef6be6d36]equal (Rauch, 2004, p. 68). [/quote0ef6be6d36][/quote0ef6be6d36]

lol

csullivan1@rochester.rr.c

14-02-2007 21:07:10

[quote725171d1b5="ILoveToys"]Did you ever hear of HIV?[/quote725171d1b5]

Do you know that HIV is no longer considered a "gay disease". The most common way of contracting HIV these days is married men with children who are sleeping with other men and are giving HIV to their wives. I do case management for people living with HIV/AIDS. Not trying to start an argument, just pointing out the facts. There are currently more straight people living with HIV than there are gay people.

Gooogler

14-02-2007 21:11:42

[quote22d4469d73="zdub08"][quote22d4469d73="MyJobIsThis"]Easy, Religion, My god is against homosexuals basically they will enjoy hell.[/quote22d4469d73]
who is your god?[/quote22d4469d73]

Yeah, exactly [i22d4469d73]which [/i22d4469d73]god is that?

[quote22d4469d73="Veek"][quote22d4469d73="zdub08"][quote22d4469d73="MyJobIsThis"]Easy, Religion, My god is against homosexuals basically they will enjoy hell.[/quote22d4469d73]
who is your god?[/quote22d4469d73]

Clearly a marker.[/quote22d4469d73]

Haha lol

h3x

14-02-2007 21:23:16

[quote2d8ffed319="csullivan1@rochester.rr.c"][quote2d8ffed319="ILoveToys"]Did you ever hear of HIV?[/quote2d8ffed319]

Do you know that HIV is no longer considered a "gay disease". [b2d8ffed319]The most common way of contracting HIV these days is married men with children who are sleeping with other men and are giving HIV to their wives.[/b2d8ffed319] I do case management for people living with HIV/AIDS. Not trying to start an argument, just pointing out the facts. [b2d8ffed319]There are currently more straight people living with HIV than there are gay people.[/b2d8ffed319][/quote2d8ffed319]

Wouldn't these married men with children, be considered bisexual if they're having extramarital relations with a partner of the same sex?

Also, I thought blacks get the HIV/AIDS more than any other categorized group of individuals...

bruman

14-02-2007 21:30:54

So lets bring up the instance of a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich. As everyone knows, peanut butter and jelly go perfectly together. Now, lets say you take away the jelly and now just have two peanut butter layers, but certain people still want to call this two peanut butter layer sandwich a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. You can't do that. It's just not the same.

tylerc

14-02-2007 21:32:52

Since marriage and sandwiches are so close roll

tylerc

14-02-2007 21:41:06

Go on and debunk each point of my research paper (which is mine) without using the sandwich analogy.

theysayjump

14-02-2007 21:43:24

Actually Peanut Butter and Jelly don't go perfectly together, they taste like shit, just like another mans ass.

ILoveToys

14-02-2007 21:50:10

[quote498257ffac="csullivan1@rochester.rr.c"][quote498257ffac="ILoveToys"]Did you ever hear of HIV?[/quote498257ffac]

Do you know that HIV is no longer considered a "gay disease". The most common way of contracting HIV these days is married men with children who are sleeping with other men and are giving HIV to their wives. I do case management for people living with HIV/AIDS. Not trying to start an argument, just pointing out the facts. There are currently more straight people living with HIV than there are gay people.[/quote498257ffac]

The men who are passing it to their wives are still having homosexual sex. Whether or not they claim to be straight or gay is beside the point. Now, I realize that those men aren't looking for any "gay rights" but on the same note those men who contract it and spread it (even if they claim to be gay) still drive up insurance premiums. Heck...You are probably paid for your work with insurance dollars for the majority.

My point was that being gay comes with risks. It's like smoking. I think a smoker loses the right for affordable health care if the problem is due to the habit. The same thing could be said about men who have gay sex. If they contract a disease even though they were aware of the risks, and chose to ignore them, they shouldn't be drain on the rest of society.

Call me a prude or ignorant or ultra conservative or whatever, but I don't smoke b/c I don't want to get lung cancer, I don't sleep around, b/c I don't want to deal w/ an unplanned pregnancy or disease. But guess what, my health insurance premiums keep going up and the amount of coverage I am receiving is dropping. Is that because I am really a risk or I cost that much to insure? Absolutely not. I'm in my 20's and never had any serious illness or condition. The reason why my rates are so high are b/c of people who don't take care of themselves.

theysayjump

14-02-2007 21:57:45

[quotee97b943e98="ILoveToys"][quotee97b943e98="csullivan1@rochester.rr.c"][quotee97b943e98="ILoveToys"]Did you ever hear of HIV?[/quotee97b943e98]

Do you know that HIV is no longer considered a "gay disease". The most common way of contracting HIV these days is married men with children who are sleeping with other men and are giving HIV to their wives. I do case management for people living with HIV/AIDS. Not trying to start an argument, just pointing out the facts. There are currently more straight people living with HIV than there are gay people.[/quotee97b943e98]

The men who are passing it to their wives are still having homosexual sex. Whether or not they claim to be straight or gay is beside the point. Now, I realize that those men aren't looking for any "gay rights" but on the same note those men who contract it and spread it (even if they claim to be gay) still drive up insurance premiums. Heck...You are probably paid for your work with insurance dollars for the majority.

My point was that being gay comes with risks. It's like smoking. I think a smoker loses the right for affordable health care if the problem is due to the habit. The same thing could be said about men who have gay sex. If they contract a disease even though they were aware of the risks, and chose to ignore them, they shouldn't be drain on the rest of society.

Call me a prude or ignorant or ultra conservative or whatever, but I don't smoke b/c I don't want to get lung cancer, I don't sleep around, b/c I don't want to deal w/ an unplanned pregnancy or disease. But guess what, my health insurance premiums keep going up and the amount of coverage I am receiving is dropping. Is that because I am really a risk or I cost that much to insure? Absolutely not. I'm in my 20's and never had any serious illness or condition. The reason why my rates are so high are b/c of people who don't take care of themselves.[/quotee97b943e98]

You make it sound as if

a.) The only "bad" STD is HIV/AIDS
2.) Only gay people can contract STD's

Why should gay people be punished for having sex and knowing the risks, but straight people shouldn't?

Tholek

14-02-2007 22:06:11

[quoteac3e758478="theysayjump"]Actually Peanut Butter and Jelly don't go perfectly together, they taste like shit, just like another mans ass.[/quoteac3e758478]

Peanut butter breath? ;)

bonehead848

14-02-2007 22:52:01

one idea you could try is this. Have the government back out of marriage. Let the government recognize "legal unions" between any two people. Then let the government give those couples all the tax benefits and crap that people who are married now get. These couples could be a man and woman or man and man or even two older women not romantically involved but living together.
Then, you leave marriage to the church were they can keep it only man and woman, but to be recognized by the gov they have to have a "Legal union." The whole key here is just not calling legal unions marriage. That way everyone should be happy.

Admin

14-02-2007 23:52:34

i guess i'm being part of the problem here but some of the viewpoints expressed in this thread are so ignorant my brain can't even process them

sorry but the answer is no, we will not have another one of these threads