Interview - tomarrow ...need questions

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=53442

manOFice

08-02-2007 08:11:02

Hey guys, I'm going for a big interview tomorrow against one other candidate. Now i have read the guides on what questions to ask and what not but i want some answers from maybe people who have interviewed lately.

What are some good questions to ask and what are some major questions to be ready for? And how much should I know about the company? And is it bad to read off of notes I have or do i have to memorize a lot of the info about the company?

The company is an architectural, engineering firm and i'm going for a IT position btw

Thanks!

jy3

08-02-2007 08:27:51

well, don't spell tom[b6c000e6825]o[/b6c000e6825]rrow, that is tip #1 ;)

I always was myself in interviews. A good idea is to NOT focus on money/bennies/etc in the first interview. they want people who are good workers with attributes other than the want of money

good2speed

08-02-2007 14:01:54

[quote34e89223dd="O4F-Manofice"]Hey guys, I'm going for a big interview tomorrow against one other candidate. Now i have read the guides on what questions to ask and what not but i want some answers from maybe people who have interviewed lately.

What are some good questions to ask and what are some major questions to be ready for? And how much should I know about the company? And is it bad to read off of notes I have or do i have to memorize a lot of the info about the company?

The company is an architectural, engineering firm and i'm going for a IT position btw

Thanks![/quote34e89223dd]

just relax and be yourself. If its for an It position they just want you to be articulate and productive. They probably dont care about your dress so dont worry about which tie to where. They will be looking for you to be able to adapt to situations you're unfamiliar with. The articulate part just comes in with talking to the business. They(business side) don't understand geek talk and need you to break it down to them into business terms. Most importantly display an image of confidence. I like using zen tricks. Read below ( may sound gay but give it a try)

Calm yourself and close your eyes. With your eyes closed imagine yourself in the interview. Whatever fears you have you may able to see them right away. Try to get rid of any fears you may have while doing this. Last but most important you must picture yourself succeding in the interview. Things become easier when you can visualize them in advance.[/color34e89223dd]

Sounds weird but it seemed to work for me as it may help to calm you down. Good luck on your interview.

ILoveToys

08-02-2007 18:38:52

Not that I'm a lot of help, but interviewing sucks. I absolutely hate it.

DCoop

08-02-2007 20:00:42

[quote9bc15acfc9="good2speed"]just relax and be yourself[/quote9bc15acfc9]
Nah, for most people being yourself bites. Be who you want to be instead.
What I mean is you have to be better than your normal working self, not that that isn't fine once you are hired, but you need to beat the others who are just being their normal selves. If you are shy, be more outgoing, if you tend to mumble, speak up, etc.
The interviews that go best for me are ones that I can't really remember that clearly afterwards because I've kinda removed myself from myself.. or something like that.

Anyway, as for the interview
ask about the company - growth projections and future expansion - show you are interested in growing with the company.
make a couple light jokes. Not too many, but don't be super serious all the time.
Oh yeah, EYE CONTACT

manOFice

09-02-2007 04:41:54

Thanks all...i'm going to the interview in about 30 minutes!

good2speed

09-02-2007 05:15:16

[quote9e30da80e2="DCoop"][quote9e30da80e2="good2speed"]just relax and be yourself[/quote9e30da80e2]
Nah, for most people being yourself bites. Be who you want to be instead.
What I mean is you have to be better than your normal working self, not that that isn't fine once you are hired, but you need to beat the others who are just being their normal selves. If you are shy, be more outgoing, if you tend to mumble, speak up, etc.
The interviews that go best for me are ones that I can't really remember that clearly afterwards because I've kinda removed myself from myself.. or something like that.

Anyway, as for the interview
ask about the company - growth projections and future expansion - show you are interested in growing with the company.
make a couple light jokes. Not too many, but don't be super serious all the time.
Oh yeah, EYE CONTACT[/quote9e30da80e2]

well if you have a speech impediment there is nothing that will help you. What I was saying is that you must be calm and try to be casual. Obviously if you have a habit of biting your nails please dont do so during the interview. For an IT person especially they want to find out what kind of person you are. Are you friendly to talk to? Can you answer questions promptly and atriculately? if they pose a question you don't know the answer too can you rebound and make some kind of analytical estimation of what they're looking for. Maybe its easier for me to be myself because I come off genuinely as a nice guy and I like to joke around. If thats not you then I guess try to impersonate this person as best you can.

TryinToGetPaid

09-02-2007 05:18:07

I do not think anyone wants to be you, besides you - Thanks though!

good2speed

09-02-2007 05:21:57

[quote27bb6378ed="TryinToGetPaid"]I do not think anyone wants to be you, besides you - Thanks though![/quote27bb6378ed]

and that was needed why? Listen once you do something productive with your life and get passed 25 years old then go ahead and make bold comments like that. Anyways I have a flight to catch to Miami to go work. Still don't want to be me.....

TryinToGetPaid

09-02-2007 05:23:01

No, because I have a flight to the Bahamas, with 5 top models....see ya!

good2speed

09-02-2007 05:25:56

[quote7a7900e619="TryinToGetPaid"]No, because I have a flight to the Bahamas, with 5 top models....see ya![/quote7a7900e619]

I suppose we can all day dream. Keep trying to get paid while my bank account stays full.

good2speed

09-02-2007 05:28:25

seriousyy at least be productive in this thread. Youve done nothing in this thread but insult so go sit in the corner. When you can join threads productively then contribute. Don't just start posting for attention.

manOFice

09-02-2007 07:56:36

Thanks for the input good2speed. The interview went good, the guy was a real hard ass at first but once he got comfortable talking with me he loosened up and smiled and laughed, made me feel better too.

TryinToGetPaid

09-02-2007 07:58:33

But did you get the job? Or did he say "We'll call you"?

doylnea

09-02-2007 08:13:19

[quotef6cad19a4d="TryinToGetPaid"]But did you get the job? Or did he say "We'll call you"?[/quotef6cad19a4d]

I've been offered several jobs, and only one of them was during the interview. If they're interviewing multiple candidates, the interviewer often has to weigh the pros and cons of the candidates before making a decision. Further, if it's a big company or organization, the person you're interviewing with simply makes a hiring decision, and then HR takes care of offering the job.

long-winded way to say, "Don't fret if they didn't offer you the job during the interview."

TryinToGetPaid

09-02-2007 09:08:37

Most interviews I have done have given me the job after the interview, only one said "We will call you" and they called several hours later to tell me I had the job.

justinag06

09-02-2007 09:51:51

yes but you didn't graduate from college with a degree either. It's different when you are getting a job like that.

TryinToGetPaid

09-02-2007 09:59:38

The job I have now is a job they give to college students straight out of college? And I was given the job on the spot shrug

manOFice

09-02-2007 10:01:19

I have a Bachelors in IT and experience, I've never been offered the job on the spot...they have called me. This is a huge firm that is very well known. He stated he had more candidates to interview today and said he doesn't do the actual hiring, i believe he said HR does that.

bballp6699

09-02-2007 10:27:38

[quote84541ba346="TryinToGetPaid"]The job I have now is a job they give to college students straight out of college? And I was given the job on the spot shrug[/quote84541ba346]

Burger King will hire anyone.

Good luck, Manofice.

TryinToGetPaid

09-02-2007 14:07:20

Burger King? Since when did Burger King get interns? And computer access?

FreeOffersNow

09-02-2007 15:47:51

OK, unfortunately this advice will come too late for Manofice...but I figured the bulk of you guys and gals might appreciate my input (I've extensive interviewing experience, and have never "failed" an interview [not been offered the position])

Regardless of what some have said above, ALWAYS dress to impress. Recruiters will develop a first impression in roughly 3 seconds...based largely on your appearance. Of course, it is possible to painstakingly "undo" the first impression...but it's much more difficult than just making a good impression to begin with )

[b9d7bbcfd10]Seven interview MUSTS[/b9d7bbcfd10]
- Be on time (scope out the location the day before...at the same time of day your interview is!)
- Have a good handshake (3 seconds is perfect, but don't count it out!)
- Be prepared
- Be familiar with the company [i9d7bbcfd10][see interview preparation below][/i9d7bbcfd10]
- Be interested in the company
- Be polite at all times (even when asked repetitious questions)
- Be professional

[b9d7bbcfd10]A well-prepared candidate should know...[/b9d7bbcfd10]
- The product the business makes or services it provides
- The scope of the business, number of employees and locations
- The target market or clientele
- Key business issues (opportunities and challenges)
- Publicly announced plans for the coming years
- Staffing needs
- How the company fits your objectives

There are far too many typical questions you may be asked as we’ve a very diverse membership here (different ages, objectives, qualifications, etc.), but in all instances…BE POSITIVE! Always start with the positive, even if the question is negative in nature (i.e. tell me about your least favorite professor). If asked about a weakness (either personal or on your resume), a weakness is NEVER still a weakness (you’ve either overcome it, or are working on it).

I could go on forever, and go into much more detail, but I’m just not sure how much interest there would be in something any more comprehensive than this. If you have any specific questions, or need some advice…feel free to post here…I’ll try to address it as quickly as possible. Good luck!

manOFice

10-02-2007 08:55:55

[quote26885ab8e0="FreeOffersNow"]OK, unfortunately this advice will come too late for Manofice...but I figured the bulk of you guys and gals might appreciate my input (I've extensive interviewing experience, and have never "failed" an interview [not been offered the position])

Regardless of what some have said above, ALWAYS dress to impress. Recruiters will develop a first impression in roughly 3 seconds...based largely on your appearance. Of course, it is possible to painstakingly "undo" the first impression...but it's much more difficult than just making a good impression to begin with )

[b26885ab8e0]Seven interview MUSTS[/b26885ab8e0]
- Be on time (scope out the location the day before...at the same time of day your interview is!)
- Be prepared
- Be familiar with the company [i26885ab8e0][see interview preparation below][/i26885ab8e0]
- Be professional

[b26885ab8e0]A well-prepared candidate should know...[/b26885ab8e0]
- Staffing needs

There are far too many typical questions you may be asked as we’ve a very diverse membership here (different ages, objectives, qualifications, etc.), but in all instances…BE POSITIVE! Always start with the positive, even if the question is negative in nature (i.e. tell me about your least favorite professor). If asked about a weakness (either personal or on your resume), a weakness is NEVER still a weakness (you’ve either overcome it, or are working on it).

I could go on forever, and go into much more detail, but I’m just not sure how much interest there would be in something any more comprehensive than this. If you have any specific questions, or need some advice…feel free to post here…I’ll try to address it as quickly as possible. Good luck![/quote26885ab8e0]

Great info, thanks!

manOFice

21-02-2007 17:21:06

Got another interview tomarrow....I have to take a Wonderlic test, technical test, and interview with the manager and team!

Anyone take wonderlic tests and technical tests?

TryinToGetPaid

21-02-2007 17:23:36

Never taken either, though Wonderlic will just be like a standardized test back from High School.

bballp6699

21-02-2007 17:27:17

I heard the Wonderlic was very easy. However, ESPN was my source, so... shrug

burritopunk

21-02-2007 18:39:15

[quote3ce9824fbe="O4F-Manofice"]tomarrow
[/quote3ce9824fbe]

You did it again lol

arie1985

21-02-2007 18:40:58

[quoteaedbfb449e="O4F-Manofice"]Hey guys, I'm going for a big interview tomorrow against one other candidate. Now i have read the guides on what questions to ask and what not but i want some answers from maybe people who have interviewed lately.

Thanks![/quoteaedbfb449e]

1) What's your experience in this field?
2) How long have you been working on it?
3) What's your plans?

Use your illusion (GNR) sorry imagination

manOFice

21-02-2007 18:49:45

[quote1594287135="burritopunk"][quote1594287135="O4F-Manofice"]tomarrow
[/quote1594287135]

You did it again lol[/quote1594287135]

Go jump off a cliff

litomorrow...happy?

FreeOffersNow

21-02-2007 21:57:19

I've never taken the Wonderlic, but my understanding is that they are fairly simple.

A tip for the interview...depending on how large the "team" is that is interviewing you, there is likely going to be at least one person that will be a bit more "hostile" than the others. Don't let it bother you. Keep your cool, think before you speak, and you'll be fine.

Also, don't focus your attention on any one person throughout the interview...speak to everyone in the room. If there is more than one person interviewing you, it should be no surprise that more than one person's opinion of you matters.

good2speed

21-02-2007 23:02:30

[quotec4df850e40="FreeOffersNow"]
[bc4df850e40]Seven interview MUSTS[/bc4df850e40]
- Be prepared
- Be familiar with the company [ic4df850e40][see interview preparation below][/ic4df850e40]
- Be professional
[/quotec4df850e40]

I'm sorry to dissect but your interview musts are common sense. At this stage of the game I assume everyone knows to be on time for an interview. Also if you notice being on time, prepared, and polite are all part of being professional. Your list is a little redundant.

[/quotec4df850e40]

I agree with you. You should just wear a tie or if they have a casual work environment a nice dress shirt. If it is an IT position then you don't have to go out all out but at least look somewhat decent; ie no baggy jeans or hoodies, none of that bape shit.

[bc4df850e40]A well-prepared candidate should know...[/bc4df850e40]
- Staffing needs
[/quotec4df850e40]

just to add on here. Not just important to know some of these things but to bring up questions that relate to them. Also very important is to know the job description. What will you be asked to do. What languages and/or tolls will you be working with. How does the organaztional hierarchy work. ; ie who will you report to. What specific need are they bringing you in for; is it a new role/ position or did the previous employee quit/unreliable. Are there any deadlines and/or late hours you may be expected to work.

ew1075

21-02-2007 23:24:57

Always get the interviewer's email address and business card. If possible, send them a thank you letter either by email, or preferably a typed letter.

FreeOffersNow

22-02-2007 00:00:06

[quote89b12258af="good2speed"]I'm sorry to dissect but your interview musts are common sense. At this stage of the game I assume everyone knows to be on time for an interview. Also if you notice being on time, prepared, and polite are all part of being professional. Your list is a little redundant.[/quote89b12258af]

What exactly is "common" sense is debatable ) . Interestingly enough, I just had dinner with a recruiter fromPaychex[=http//www.paychex.com]Paychex last night (NOT an interview). He has been in the industry 13 years...and shared my thoughts on "interview musts" almost to a T. Being professional means different things to different people, and some people think "being on time" means coming to a 600PM interview at 600PM...when in fact...it means being there at 545-550PM.

[quote89b12258af="good2speed"]I agree with you. You should just wear a tie or if they have a casual work environment a nice dress shirt. If it is an IT position then you don't have to go out all out but at least look somewhat decent; ie no baggy jeans or hoodies, none of that bape shit.[/quote89b12258af]

The Paychex recruiter I mentioned above actually deals primarily with applicants seeking IT positions. He said his rule is to dress for "one step up" from the job you're applying for. Work environments have become increasingly casual...but save it for after you get the job!

[quote89b12258af="good2speed"]just to add on here. Not just important to know some of these things but to bring up questions that relate to them. Also very important is to know the job description. What will you be asked to do. What languages and/or tolls will you be working with. How does the organaztional hierarchy work. ; ie who will you report to. What specific need are they bringing you in for; is it a new role/ position or did the previous employee quit/unreliable. Are there any deadlines and/or late hours you may be expected to work.[/quote89b12258af]

Good advice.

burritopunk

22-02-2007 12:18:17

[quote2b2d0051ff="O4F-Manofice"][quote2b2d0051ff="burritopunk"][quote2b2d0051ff="O4F-Manofice"]tomarrow
[/quote2b2d0051ff]

You did it again lol[/quote2b2d0051ff]

Go jump off a cliff

litomorrow...happy?[/quote2b2d0051ff]

angry?

jadem

22-02-2007 12:28:36

This doesn't pertain to this situation, but there are also many things to keep in mind if you ever have a phone interview. This worked out beautifully for me (even though I wasn't offered the job).

1. Dress up, even if they won't see you. How you are dressed can affect how you respond to questions. If you are dressed up, then you will speak more professionally.
2. Stand. Don't sit down during the phone interview, if it's possible, because it will cause you to be more relaxed, therefore relaxing your grammar and vocabulary.
3. Stand in front of a mirror. Believe it or not, people can "hear" you smile. If you stand in front of a mirror, you're more likely to smile as if you're talking to them in person.
4. Limit your distractions. Go to a room with no TV, no computer, etc. The more you can focus on the interview, the better you'll be.
5. Try to avoid a phone interview during work hours if you currently have a job. If they know that they are interviewing you while you are on company time, they might see you as a poor potential employee. How do they know you won't do that to them?

Want to know why I didn't get the job? They said I didn't quite have enough experience, but the HR manager was very upset when they didn't offer me the position. So much, in fact, they called me back in 6 months later to interview for the same position. It was unfortunate that my wedding and honeymoon were timed inconveniently for the project. /

The HR manager still gives out my information when she hears about Technical Writing jobs, lol.

good2speed

22-02-2007 13:56:39

[quote3324c5a483="jadem"]
1. Dress up, even if they won't see you. How you are dressed can affect how you respond to questions. If you are dressed up, then you will speak more professionally.
[/quote3324c5a483]

lol. You are porbably right but I still remember the one time I took an interview in bed with some notes spread across. I was in my boxers and was smoking a cig midway through the interview. One of my phone interview specialties is to ask questions that require a long response(something work related that you know they want to talk about). This way I get to learn more about the position and get to talk less. My goal in the interview is to get a solid intro for myself and to nail down the first few questions they throw at me. Once I feel the are satasfied with my response I start firing back questions related to the ones they asked me. By the end of the call it almost feels like I interviewed them for the position.

FreeOffersNow

22-02-2007 16:15:22

[quote152582d43a="good2speed"]By the end of the call it almost feels like I interviewed them for the position.[/quote152582d43a]

This is how it should be...they are interviewing you to see if you are a good fit for their position, but you're also interviewing them to see if they are a good fit for you. Recruiters might get the idea that you're not interested in the position you're applying for...but instead just "a job"...if you don't ask questions.

manOFice

22-02-2007 16:42:51

Thanks, interview went good. I got a phone interview with a different company tomorrow, hope that goes well.

manOFice

26-02-2007 17:01:00

I did a phone interview the other day and they want to see me in person now...sounds very promising...are things different for a second interview?

good2speed

26-02-2007 17:40:21

[quote262fab850a="O4F-Manofice"]I did a phone interview the other day and they want to see me in person now...sounds very promising...are things different for a second interview?[/quote262fab850a]

I suppose they just want to meet you formally and ask some more questions. Probably looking for visual cues on your comfortability level. Go in there dressed well with a nothing to lose attitude and hit a home run. Congrats on getting the 2nd interview.

manOFice

27-02-2007 08:55:17

one hour after my interview today they called and made me an offer!! I have a job now!!

TryinToGetPaid

27-02-2007 09:03:36

Congrats to you!

What will you be doing? (or do you have no idea yet)

manOFice

27-02-2007 09:11:10

Helpdesk/Desktop Support

bballp6699

27-02-2007 10:18:12

More money than your other job?

good2speed

27-02-2007 12:19:50

[quote4584566f9f="O4F-Manofice"]one hour after my interview today they called and made me an offer!! I have a job now!![/quote4584566f9f]

Congratulations on getting the job. Now you get to play office politics. Woo hooo

manOFice

27-02-2007 18:55:51

Same money as before, just I'm in a town I actually like...before my commute was 45 minutes each away...now it's only 20 minutes each way )

Gooogler

27-02-2007 20:45:39

I'm going for a Starbucks interview tomorrow, but the lady scheduled it the second I gave her my resume so I think they really need employees.

doylnea

27-02-2007 20:51:32

[quotee2eb6295ed="O4F-Manofice"]one hour after my interview today they called and made me an offer!! I have a job now!![/quotee2eb6295ed]

congrats! the first real job out of college is the hardest. you're on your way now...

if you get an offer from the other company, you can play them against each other...