Who thinks I'm getting scammed?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=52643

OldManWrigley

28-01-2007 18:47:39

I sold a Wii for $405 total after shipping ($330 + $75 shipping) to this guy in the United Kingdom. He paid with PayPal, and he has 28 feedback on eBay. I sent it out to him last Wednesday. Who thinks he's going to pull some crazy shit and do a chargeback? I mean has ANYBODY ever had a sucessfull big-money transaction with out-of-country-ers?

freaky1718

28-01-2007 18:50:56

ehh it looks legit and the uk has a low stock of wiis so thats why he could of bought it

redman12

28-01-2007 19:19:16

Your not gonna have any problem if its "confirmed address"

Dave82

28-01-2007 19:34:25

I would click on the feedback items. If they are 1 cents ebooks, $2 necklaces.... then yes, youre getting scammed.

Paypal payment, mailed WITH SIGNATURE confirmation, to confirmed address only..... and you should be, um, 80% safe.

ANYWAY, glad you made this post because I have a buyer from the UK for something over $300. Is a [b6bdfaccdbe]wire transfer[/b6bdfaccdbe] to my bank account safe? Can they possibly scam that way? I mean, i dont think so. But then again i was the one who thought UPS money orders were 100% safe (WRONG!).

Because after everyone's threads i dont trust paypal. evil

cowboy.from.hell637

28-01-2007 19:55:14

[quote4534de4f67="Dave82"]I would click on the feedback items. If they are 1 cents ebooks, $2 necklaces.... then yes, youre getting scammed.

Paypal payment, mailed WITH SIGNATURE confirmation, to confirmed address only..... and you should be, um, 80% safe.

ANYWAY, glad you made this post because I have a buyer from the UK for something over $300. Is a [b4534de4f67]wire transfer[/b4534de4f67] to my bank account safe? Can they possibly scam that way? I mean, i dont think so. But then again i was the one who thought UPS money orders were 100% safe (WRONG!).

Because after everyone's threads i dont trust paypal. evil[/quote4534de4f67]

what happened with the money order?

Armstrong

28-01-2007 21:02:42

Good luck, friend of mine got dicked over with a UK shippment. I don't ship out of the country because of it

ajasax

28-01-2007 21:47:27

[quote6fe3fbfcdf="Dave82"]I would click on the feedback items. If they are 1 cents ebooks, $2 necklaces.... then yes, youre getting scammed.

ANYWAY, glad you made this post because I have a buyer from the UK for something over $300. Is a [b6fe3fbfcdf]wire transfer[/b6fe3fbfcdf] to my bank account safe? Can they possibly scam that way? I mean, i dont think so. But then again i was the one who thought UPS money orders were 100% safe (WRONG!).

Because after everyone's threads i dont trust paypal. evil[/quote6fe3fbfcdf]
I just Googled. It looks like most banks won't allow chargebacks with wire transfers, but YMMV -- call your bank and ask.

Dave82

28-01-2007 21:52:36

[quote37c2b1df11="cowboy.from.hell637"][quote37c2b1df11="Dave82"]I would click on the feedback items. If they are 1 cents ebooks, $2 necklaces.... then yes, youre getting scammed.

ANYWAY, glad you made this post because I have a buyer from the UK for something over $300. Is a [b37c2b1df11]wire transfer[/b37c2b1df11] to my bank account safe? Can they possibly scam that way? I mean, i dont think so. But then again i was the one who thought UPS money orders were 100% safe (WRONG!).

Because after everyone's threads i dont trust paypal. evil[/quote37c2b1df11]

what happened with the money order?[/quote37c2b1df11]
Okay, here is the thing money orders cannot be tracked and they can be forged.

USPS offers trackable money orders, and they cash them for you. So you can cash out your money order, and THEN send it out. If a UPS money order was fake and you gave it to your bank and they later found out it was fake, the money deposited is removed. You probably already sent out the PS3 or whatever.

Here is the thread to read
http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=49332

[quote37c2b1df11="DMorris68"]True, that's why you should only accept USPS Postal money orders, which are cashable only at the post office (banks won't take them). Unless the scammer is working with an inside USPS employee, they aren't going to be able to fake one. The PO can verify the validity of the money order (the serial number will be in their computer system) when you present it.

M.O.'s drawn on a bank are no different than checks, and can be forged & reversed. [/quote37c2b1df11]

Hope it helps. It's just when you put in your auctions that you only accept money orders, many people do not want to bid. It is a hassle for them. Plus i think it makes you look suspicious to them because people associate paypal with protection. A money order in their eyes is giving you money and hoping you dont scam them.

Honestly, I would look at their feedback. Make sure to click on the items they bought and make sure it not 1 cent ebooks or anything that is just used to build feedback. Also make sure it is from many different sellers. I dont like anyone with feedback under 100. But I am super paranoid. Maybe 50 is fine.

Dave82

28-01-2007 21:53:55

[quote5c9f272dd8="ajasax"]
I just Googled. It looks like most banks won't allow chargebacks with wire transfers, but YMMV -- call your bank and ask.[/quote5c9f272dd8]

Thanks for looking that up, +karma

unknown uchiha

29-01-2007 04:07:28

Dave82, send me the buyer's contact info or a copy of his email to you (with full headers, including IP addresses and such) and I'll take a look for you.

One of the modalities in a 419 Nigerian Scam is that they get the victim's bank info for a wire transfer, then "flash" the account with money (AKA transferring an uncleared, unconfirmed amount of money to the account). When the funds "clear", it turns out that they never existed and therefore disappear from the account.

Dave82

29-01-2007 05:01:15

[quotee65470eb7f="unknown uchiha"]Dave82, send me the buyer's contact info or a copy of his email to you (with full headers, including IP addresses and such) and I'll take a look for you.

One of the modalities in a 419 Nigerian Scam is that they get the victim's bank info for a wire transfer, then "flash" the account with money (AKA transferring an uncleared, unconfirmed amount of money to the account). When the funds "clear", it turns out that they never existed and therefore disappear from the account.[/quotee65470eb7f]

I cannot believe they found a way to scam even a DIRECT FUCKING BANK TRANSFER.

But +karma unknown uchiha for bringing it to my attention about the wire transfers. I cannot believe that that is even possible.

I am actually gonna switch to craigslist. They would pay cash. Although i decrease my buyer pool and will make less money, less money is better than no money.

I dont know. I am thinking to only sell in the US, block neg bidders, and accept USPS money orders. I mean, most ebayers like paypal, but i dont feel like getting fucked in the ass. There was a thread not too long ago and people were like, "Yeah, $500 down the drain."

I dont know why, but this topic always strikes a cord with me. Scammer drive me crazy.

johnjimjones

29-01-2007 05:36:49

[quoted5c7ebaedd="unknown uchiha"]
I am actually gonna switch to craigslist. They would pay cash. Although i decrease my buyer pool and will make less money, less money is better than no money.
[/quoted5c7ebaedd]

But what if they used counterfeit money!!!!111 shock

dmorris68

29-01-2007 05:50:08

Yeah, you should NEVER go with wire transfers, they are the shadiest of payment methods.

Dave82, I still say your safest with PayPal as long as your deal only with verified accounts, confirmed addresses, and provide signature tracking.

When I said "only accept USPS Money Orders" I meant that would be the only type of MO I would accept, not that it would be the only payment method. In fact I'd rather not receive anything other than PayPal, and I say so in my listings. I accept only PayPal, and allow USPS MO's for those people who refuse to deal with PayPal. Probably 40% of my >100 eBay feedback is from sales, all paid via PayPal (nobody has ever actually sent me a MO), and I've never been screwed on a sale transaction.

/knocks on wood

Oh, and I lineverli ship outside of the lower 48 states, and clearly state so in my listings. Not even Alaska/Hawaii. Sorry to those folks, but it's typically too costly or risky and I just don't want to be bothered. If an established member here that I felt I could trust lived in Alaska/Hawaii and wanted to bid on one of my auctions, I'd probably make an exception, but not for strangers.

Dave82

29-01-2007 06:08:22

[quoteef224e351f="dmorris68"]Yeah, you should NEVER go with wire transfers, they are the shadiest of payment methods.

Dave82, I still say your safest with PayPal as long as your deal only with verified accounts, confirmed addresses, and provide signature tracking.

When I said "only accept USPS Money Orders" I meant that would be the only type of MO I would accept, not that it would be the only payment method. In fact I'd rather not receive anything other than PayPal, and I say so in my listings. I accept only PayPal, and allow USPS MO's for those people who refuse to deal with PayPal. Probably 40% of my >100 eBay feedback is from sales, all paid via PayPal (nobody has ever actually sent me a MO), and I've never been screwed on a sale transaction.

/knocks on wood

Oh, and I lineverli ship outside of the lower 48 states, and clearly state so in my listings. Not even Alaska/Hawaii. Sorry to those folks, but it's typically too costly or risky and I just don't want to be bothered. If an established member here that I felt I could trust lived in Alaska/Hawaii and wanted to bid on one of my auctions, I'd probably make an exception, but not for strangers.[/quoteef224e351f]

i got what you were saying that that is the only type of money order you would take. I know you are a patron of paypal. I dont want to trust paypal anymore from other peoples' experiences. People have posted how they shipped to confirmed addresses with delivery confirmation and have somehow still lost a chargeback war.

It just pisses me off. So for me, USPS money order seems like my only choice.

However, i think i will read more into paypal's protection for sellers who follow rules. Of the people who lost money to a chargeback, I dont know how many got their money recovered by paypal (or if paypal even does that for people who had proof).

But what you said about shipping only to the 48 states makes a lot of sense. My situation is i will be selling merchandise ranging from $300 to over a $1000. So I am looking for the SAFEST method. My friend actually suggested giving it to those vendors to sell who take 10% of what it sells for. But then again my instincts are telling me that could end in a hassle as well.

unknown uchiha

29-01-2007 13:02:46

Remember, if they ever suggest an escrow service you should ONLY use an escrow service sponsored by eBay. I'm not sure which ones they sponsor but always check eBay.com directly (I've seen fake escrow sites use a fake "supported by eBay" logo or even a falsified BBB reliability page)