HAS anyone every applied for PAypal debit card?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=51792

chrome89k

18-01-2007 20:19:53

if so could u give me a few opinions... is it good or not? are there alot of fees... or is it just like ur average debit/prepaid giftcard... i know there is a 1 dollar fee for atm withdrawals... looks tempting.. i may have to jump on it since waiting time to get a paypal check is almost 2 weeks!!... once i get the card i can withdraw at my will ) for one dollar of course

PLEASE all comments on the topic is appreciated...

Armstrong

18-01-2007 20:22:53

funny you wrote this. I applied for one and it never showed up...I think i'll look into it

Daggoth

18-01-2007 20:31:24

I applied for one two weeks ago. When I contacted support, they said I should be receiving it within two weeks from when I called. I recommend ordering it sooner rather than later.

Killer722

18-01-2007 20:33:30

I got it. It's cool. I use it a lot.

chrome89k

18-01-2007 20:42:16

nice... thanks alot guys.... one more question... wut does it mean by back up funding source... it says choose bank account, or paypal buyer credit... something like that... that means... what?

Allen626

18-01-2007 20:54:42

I don't remember thta. I know it will deny charges if you don't have the funds in your account. I use it a lot too it is handy to have around.

h3x

18-01-2007 20:59:49

I have one and I have my bank account as backup funding, so when I go out and buy groceries and I don't have money in the PayPal account, it will draw funds from the bank account and give me back 1% of the total cost in my PayPal account. I like it.

CorpRebel

18-01-2007 21:31:14

Had mine for a couple years now. If you use PayPal then you should have it as it soooo much more convenient than waiting for a check or waiting 3-4 days to transfer the funds to my checking account.

I've used it for all of my offer completions so far. No problems yet using it.

I never keep much in my PP account unless I need it but the debit card had come in handy. I don't personally want/use the back-up funding for the debit card though.

Rick aka CorpRebel 8)

ajasax

18-01-2007 22:01:15

[quote6c5a880402="h3x"]I have one and I have my bank account as backup funding, so when I go out and buy groceries and I don't have money in the PayPal account, it will draw funds from the bank account and give me back 1% of the total cost in my PayPal account. I like it.[/quote6c5a880402]
Hmm...I have my bank account has backup funding, but it has been denied at all the stores I've tried it at (no Paypal balance). However, it works on online stores shrug

kidd2108

18-01-2007 22:16:10

All this about paypal debit card makes me want to get one, but are there any fees with card?

h3x

18-01-2007 22:37:21

[quotecfde6bd9e8="kidd2108"]All this about paypal debit card makes me want to get one, but are there any fees with card?[/quotecfde6bd9e8]

No fees. You get 1% cashback on all purchases (if you run the transaction as Credit [not debit]). Only fee I can think of is the ATM withdrawal (but that's normal with any card you use on an ATM that doesn't belong to your bank).

Dave82

18-01-2007 23:50:51

i applied last week and have yet to see the cards. Thanks for the heads up that it takes about two weeks.

bruman

19-01-2007 00:16:30

I got this like a year ago. I don't think i have any backup funding source.

I like it a lot though.

dmorris68

19-01-2007 04:31:24

Had mine for 2-3 years now. Backup funding works at stores for me, you just have to run it as credit, not debit.

KeithA

19-01-2007 05:53:00

[quote4e7061fcf7="h3x"][quote4e7061fcf7="kidd2108"]All this about paypal debit card makes me want to get one, but are there any fees with card?[/quote4e7061fcf7]

No fees. You get 1% cashback on all purchases (if you run the transaction as Credit [not debit]). Only fee I can think of is the ATM withdrawal (but that's normal with any card you use on an ATM that doesn't belong to your bank).[/quote4e7061fcf7]

I've run it as credit many times, but I don't think I ever received the 1% cash back. Do you have to use a bank account as backup funding to get the cash back?

dmorris68

19-01-2007 06:08:51

[quote3621f763a3="KeithA"][quote3621f763a3="h3x"][quote3621f763a3="kidd2108"]All this about paypal debit card makes me want to get one, but are there any fees with card?[/quote3621f763a3]

No fees. You get 1% cashback on all purchases (if you run the transaction as Credit [not debit]). Only fee I can think of is the ATM withdrawal (but that's normal with any card you use on an ATM that doesn't belong to your bank).[/quote3621f763a3]

I've run it as credit many times, but I don't think I ever received the 1% cash back. Do you have to use a bank account as backup funding to get the cash back?[/quote3621f763a3]
When I got my card years ago, the cash-back offer was part of a deal where you had to post an eBay auction every so often. However they didn't enforce it, because I became pretty lax on eBay for a long time, well over a year, and still received my 1.5% on every transaction. The cash back was later lowered to 1%, but I still received 1.5% for a long time, up until just recently when I think I've stopped receiving any at all. My eBay Seller inactivity must have caught up with me. (

Not sure what the current requirements for cash back are, or if they're dropping it completely.

[b3621f763a3]Edit[/b3621f763a3] According to my PayPal Profile, my card is still earning 1.50% cash back. But I was pretty sure my last transaction didn't earn any. I don't use it that often so maybe I'm just remembering wrong. shrug

[b3621f763a3]Edit x2[/b3621f763a3] Ah yeah, after digging around PayPal Help for a bit, I remember the deal. You have to be a member of their PayPal Preferred program.

[quote3621f763a3="PayPal"]How do I become PayPal Preferred?

To become PayPal Preferred and get 1.0% cash back on all your debit card purchases

1. Obtain and activate a PayPal Debit Card.
2. Provide your business information.
3. If you list items for sale on eBay, turn on the "Tell Buyers that I prefer PayPal payments" Preference for all your eBay listings and show PayPal as the only online payment option that you advertise.
4. If you sell items on your own website or on a marketplace other than eBay, promote PayPal as your preferred payment option.

After you have enrolled, you will receive 1.0% cash back on all purchases where you do not use a PIN (restaurants, department stores, online, etc). Most merchants let you use your PayPal Debit Card without entering your PIN - just choose Credit instead of Debit when given the choice.

NoteOver-the-counter signature based cash withdrawal transactions aren't eligible for cash back and incur a $3.00 USD fee.[/quote3621f763a3]

OrderGiftsFree

19-01-2007 06:41:59

I highly recommend everyone get this. This is extremely useful for me in many cases. It's almost like a side bank. Being able to do everything online, buying and selling, and then walk into a store and buy something. A+ Card ;) Plus I love the 1.0 cash back!

bruman

19-01-2007 09:20:31

Well, one time I went over on my card at a gas station and the paypal balance just went in the negatives.

chrome89k

19-01-2007 09:34:47

[quote474d6150ae="dmorris68"]Had mine for 2-3 years now. Backup funding works at stores for me, you just have to run it as credit, not debit.[/quote474d6150ae]

im definately getting it... but about the backup funding... do u think i HAVE to do backup funding... or maybe i dont have to back it up... dmorris... when u were saying about running it as credit... do i run it as a debit when its running on paypal funds... then credit when its the bank account... or credit all the time?

bruman

19-01-2007 09:48:50

Credit all the time.. you can't do debit because you don't have a PIN #.

dmorris68

19-01-2007 10:04:55

[quote7a3b7f5486="bruman"]Credit all the time.. you can't do debit because you don't have a PIN #.[/quote7a3b7f5486]
Yes, you do have a PIN#, you set it in your account profile. You can use it as either credit or debit.

I recommend running it as credit at all times, unless you need cash back. With credit you get the same CC protection as a regular Mastercard, don't have to worry about somebody seeing your PIN#, and you get cash back if you're on the Preferred plan.

As for backup funding, it's completely optional. It doesn't impact how the card is used, it only determines whether it will be declined when you don't have enough PayPal balance to cover the transaction.

As far as going negative at a gas station, that's not uncommon. The way gas pumps pre-authorize transactions, it can be easy to either overdraw a debit/gift card, and also to have it declined when you have money in there (due to an excessive pre-auth). Most debit/gift cards, and I'm sure PayPal, will charge you a fee if you overdraw though, so it's not recommended.

condra

19-01-2007 11:41:56

hm ok stupid question where exactly do i go to get such a card?

csullivan1@rochester.rr.c

19-01-2007 12:03:49

I use my paypal card as a debit card all the time at the grocery store when I need cash back. This avoids the $1.00 cash withdrawal fee and most banks here in NY charge you an additional $2.00 to get money out if it's a card not from their bank. I do sell on e-bay but have never applied for the 1% cashback. As far as back up funding, I believe you have to have some sort of back up source, even if you never use it. I just link it to my bank acct (that has a balance of .62 cents in it) and that seems to work. But I love that I can use it as credit or debit if I want to get cashback. IT'S DEFINITELY A MUST HAVE CARD! I also use it for all the offers I fill out on the freebie sites

dmorris68

19-01-2007 12:41:42

[quotea69bb8879d="csullivan1@rochester.rr.c"]As far as back up funding, I believe you have to have some sort of back up source, even if you never use it. [/quotea69bb8879d]
Actually, backup funding is ENTIRELY optional. You don't need it at all, in fact it's a fairly recent feature -- up until several months ago they didn't even offer backup funding.

You can enable/disable backup funding anytime you like. I normally leave it off, then when I accumulate a PP balance and plan to use the card, I'll turn it back on so that I don't have to worry about going slightly over my balance and having the card declined.

If I used the card all the time I'd probably just leave backup funding on, but I rarely keep money in PayPal (despite it's nice 5.05% return). I've been meaning to use it for a savings account, but haven't gotten around to making that leap quite yet.

chrome89k

19-01-2007 13:48:55

oooooooooooooo right... good pointo... well im submitting a request to get one ... THANKS EVERYONE!!!

fawker

19-01-2007 15:10:07

HAS anyone tried the paypal money market fund...

and can you describe the prospectus in lamens terms

egyptianruin

19-01-2007 15:31:37

Here is the deal I was told about the debit card when I called about a charge being denied (I had MORE than enough in there to cover it)

PayPal debit card has limited use, you must call to reset usage UNLESS you are a verified business member - meaning you supply your business info. I did and then I could add a backup funding source AND I get 1% cash back on all debit card purchases now. They said my charge was denied before because I wasn't business verified and gone over my card usages for that month.

Now where the hell it says that in the debit card TOS I do not know, I looked everywhere and yelled at them quite a few times.

dmorris68

19-01-2007 19:46:12

[quote6e3f8f7853="fawker"]HAS anyone tried the paypal money market fund...

and can you describe the prospectus in lamens terms[/quote6e3f8f7853]
Yes, I have the MMF -- I got it when I got my debit card about 3 years ago. There's really nothing to describe about the prospectus. As with most MMF's, they invest your money wherever they like, and in return you earn a decent rate of (currently) 5.05%, which is better than almost any passbook savings account. The good thing about PayPal's MMF is that it doesn't cost you any fees or have any minimum balance requirements, unlike virtually all bank MMF's.