My parents got jacked

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=51461

Wolfeman

14-01-2007 09:19:00

I gave my parents one of the 42" plasmas I got and someone jacked it last night. It pisses me off...

d11m

14-01-2007 09:20:59

Wow that sucks! sorry to hear

Wolfeman

14-01-2007 09:22:13

Yeah my mom is freaking out, I feel shitty since it was a gift...

ClassAct

14-01-2007 09:22:19

is that all they took, sorry to hear but at least no1 got hurt

YourGiftsFree

14-01-2007 09:23:01

Wow sorry man that sucks. Someone came into the house or was it on the porch?

FreeOffersNow

14-01-2007 09:25:06

Insurance! Not really sure how homeowners works on something like this...I'd assume you'd need some sort of receipt...but it's worth looking into, yes? When something like this happens it sucks...but it could always be worse (they could have been home, or if they [iaf421ce5a2]were[/iaf421ce5a2] home the thieves could have been violent, etc.). Nonetheless, sorry to hear the bad news.

Wolfeman

14-01-2007 09:37:43

Yeah it was outside but attached to the wall. It must've taken the assholes a while to get it off. They took the TV and the cable box but thats it. I mean we are happy no one got hurt and they didn't get anything else but you feel so violated. I think the insurance will pay for it but it still blows (

d11m

14-01-2007 09:38:55

irvine seems like such a quiet and peaceful town too (

Wolfeman

14-01-2007 09:52:33

Actually it happened in Palm Desert in a gated community shrug

bballp6699

14-01-2007 09:55:39

Wait, you put a 42 inch plasma TV outside and are surprised it was stolen?

That really sucks man, but that's just asking for trouble.

J4320

14-01-2007 09:58:33

[quotedea8e6d96b="bballp6699"]Wait, you put a 42 inch plasma TV outside and are surprised it was stolen?

That really sucks man, but that's just asking for trouble.[/quotedea8e6d96b]

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. What was it doing outside?

ilanbg

14-01-2007 09:58:43

That's why I put tracking devices in all my 42" plasma tvs.

d11m

14-01-2007 10:06:36

[quotee6d81542fc="Wolfeman"]Actually it happened in Palm Desert in a gated community shrug[/quotee6d81542fc]

does your gated community have security or patrol
whenever i have to leave something out i just have a security guard watch it )

bsi4063

14-01-2007 10:10:33

Sorry to hear, but its a funny thing because there is a show on DISCOVERY CHANNEL called "IT TAKES A THIEF" and the thief stole from this familys home in a gated community took diamonds, credit cards, social security numbers even a beemer, and the security guy at the gate let the thief out.
So it just goes to show you, gated community = false sense of security.

Tsmith10803

14-01-2007 10:48:03

I'm sorry to hear that. I can understand how that feels, as I got mugged once in the city, and it's not the exact same feeling, but you steal feel like crap and wish there was something or another that you could've done to change something, either way, nobody got hurt. As long as nobody got hurt, you're fine. It's not like your parents love you because of a gift, I'm sure everything will be ok. Good luck man

BoYgAB90

14-01-2007 10:54:59

[quote369df9bf3d="Wolfeman"]I gave my parents one of the 42" plasmas I got and someone jacked it last night. It pisses me off...[/quote369df9bf3d]

[quote369df9bf3d="Wolfeman"]Yeah it was outside but attached to the wall.[/quote369df9bf3d]

lol sig worthy

Wolfeman

14-01-2007 11:01:37

[quote5569405be6="bballp6699"]Wait, you put a 42 inch plasma TV outside and are surprised it was stolen?

That really sucks man, but that's just asking for trouble.[/quote5569405be6]
Security is supposed to good and where it is outside you can't see it unless you are in our yard. Thats why we think it was a gardener or pool guy because they are the only ones allowed in our backyard. Its a sad comment on society that people blame something getting stolen on the person that got jacked...

good2speed

14-01-2007 11:27:21

[quote8bef6dbf19="Wolfeman"][quote8bef6dbf19="bballp6699"]Wait, you put a 42 inch plasma TV outside and are surprised it was stolen?

That really sucks man, but that's just asking for trouble.[/quote8bef6dbf19]
Security is supposed to good and where it is outside you can't see it unless you are in our yard. Thats why we think it was a gardener or pool guy because they are the only ones allowed in our backyard. Its a sad comment on society that people blame something getting stolen on the person that got jacked...[/quote8bef6dbf19]

no your just living in a realm where you think you can leave things just lying around. You probably leave car windows open when unattended and may even leave the doors unlocked if in your private community. You have to be more skeptical of everyone, even if you live in a gated mansion. I guess that is what NY has taught me through my years. Don't trust anyone. You should see me on a subway. Hands in pocket and dont talk to no one.

You couldve put a transparent glass covering over it which could have its own alarm system if tampered with. Another idea would have been to drill it from isnide the house. Therefore the only way to uninstall or remove would be to unscrew from the inside.

Wolfeman

14-01-2007 11:30:35

Yeah it's an illusion of safety. I guess if he gets a replacement we need some way that its secure and a lot harder to steal...

d11m

14-01-2007 11:32:30

Lol subways sound fun )

good2speed

14-01-2007 11:39:46

Kind of reminds of the time I spent at Intel in Sacramento. I was staying at a house with 3 other guys. The head of the house, a 40+ year old dude, was trying to sell his son's car since his son was off to college. One day when I got back from work I saw some Mexicans(gardners - hate to be stereotypical but they were) who were taking a close look at the car. I thought they were interested and went to the house to get the 40 year old dude to talk to them. He went down and cam back running up after 10 minutes and got on the phone to report a stolen car. I asked him what happened and he said they wanted to go for a test drive so he handed the guy the keys and before he could get back into the car the kid sped off.

Amazing. In Ny if they want your car they'll just beat you up and take it at gun point or just steal it at night while your asleep. In Cali I'm sure you do the same but for some reason it seems you have more friendlier criminals.

d11m

14-01-2007 11:45:47

i really dont think its as bad as you guys make it sound like
i've walked around compton and it's really not that bad

good2speed

14-01-2007 11:48:30

[quotefb004e5462="d11m"]i really dont think its as bad as you guys make it sound like
i've walked around compton and it's really not that bad[/quotefb004e5462]

what is not as bad as we make it sound? The Ghettos?

I'd also advise you to stop walking around in Compton especially if you don't reside in that neighborhood. Especially at night. Maybe you haven't seen enough yet but I'm pretty sure you don't want to.

Tholek

14-01-2007 11:54:37

Sorry to hear it Wolfe. (

freaky1718

14-01-2007 11:58:01

its actually very dull and boring trip unless some cracp heard or bum comes on the train

bballp6699

14-01-2007 11:58:15

Not to get off topic, but the problem with most of the ghettos, along with the people being poor, is that most of the thugs that live in those parts like their sections being known as dangerous.

good2speed

14-01-2007 12:06:04

[quote72ba747cf8="bballp6699"]Not to get off topic, but the problem with most of the ghettos, along with the people being poor, is that most of the thugs that live in those parts like their sections being known as dangerous.[/quote72ba747cf8]

Oh I just usually label a place dangerous if it has an exceptional amount of liqour stores, gun stores, check-cashing, and bail bondsmans. oh yeah and anywhere I see a Kennedy's fried Chicken

bballp6699

14-01-2007 12:11:25

[quote772921bd0c="good2speed"][quote772921bd0c="bballp6699"]Not to get off topic, but the problem with most of the ghettos, along with the people being poor, is that most of the thugs that live in those parts like their sections being known as dangerous.[/quote772921bd0c]

Oh I just usually label a place dangerous if it has an exceptional amount of liqour stores, gun stores, check-cashing, and bail bondsmans. oh yeah and anywhere I see a Kennedy's fried Chicken[/quote772921bd0c]

I went to NYC this year. We were walking from WTC all the way to Time Square. When we got to about 27th street, some black dude said something along the lines of, "you know this aint a white block". We just kept walking...

Also there are too many annoying guys trying to sell their CDs. Like some tourist is going to be able to sign your ass.

good2speed

14-01-2007 12:20:13

[quote66727da9bd="bballp6699"][quote66727da9bd="good2speed"][quote66727da9bd="bballp6699"]Not to get off topic, but the problem with most of the ghettos, along with the people being poor, is that most of the thugs that live in those parts like their sections being known as dangerous.[/quote66727da9bd]

Oh I just usually label a place dangerous if it has an exceptional amount of liqour stores, gun stores, check-cashing, and bail bondsmans. oh yeah and anywhere I see a Kennedy's fried Chicken[/quote66727da9bd]

I went to NYC this year. We were walking from WTC all the way to Time Square. When we got to about 27th street, some black dude said something along the lines of, "you know this aint a white block". We just kept walking...

Also there are too many annoying guys trying to sell their CDs. Like some tourist is going to be able to sign your ass.[/quote66727da9bd]

i wouldve slapped that black dude. If black people want to claim anything in Manhattan it better be the LES( Lower East Side) or Harlem. Anyways some idiots will just be idiots. Stupid for him to say that but hey just let it be. If it was during the day nothing wouldve happened since the cops have the city on lock during business hours.

Tsmith10803

14-01-2007 13:07:48

[quote5861fd4496="good2speed"]
Amazing. In Ny if they want your car they'll just beat you up and take it at gun point or just steal it at night while your asleep. In Cali I'm sure you do the same but for some reason it seems you have more friendlier criminals.[/quote5861fd4496]
Not even, New York isn't [i5861fd4496]that[/i5861fd4496] bad. If you're in a bad neighborhood, then you're at risk, but for the most part, New York is a safe and friendly city.

and for the record- The Subways are nice, clean, and air conditioned )

bballp6699

14-01-2007 13:08:41

Not the subways I was in.

good2speed

14-01-2007 13:20:16

[quote81ff8c7f24="Tsmith10803"]
Not even, New York isn't [i81ff8c7f24]that[/i81ff8c7f24] bad. If you're in a bad neighborhood, then you're at risk, but for the most part, New York is a safe and friendly city.

and for the record- The Subways are nice, clean, and air conditioned )[/quote81ff8c7f24]

The subways are rat infested grimey walls and floors. The train cars are littered throughout and are way over crowded. You need to get out of NY, if you live there, and see how clean and pleasant some other places are. Don't get me wrong I love Ny, and consider it my home, and it has great scenery and I don't think you'll find a realer city in the world but it's a grimey city. But thats kind of what I love about the city. You could be on any subway and meet the weirdest people in your life. Even with its flaws NY is still a great city.

BD2006BD

14-01-2007 14:05:42

Why was the TV outside?

Powerbook

14-01-2007 14:10:28

Sorry to hear that wolfeman. Hopefully it's all good now. I do love cities, mainly becuase I used to live in one when I was very young. Of course this was Wrolclaw, Poland so it was a lot different. I haven't had the privelage to visit Boston and NYC more than a handful of times. After college, I plan to live in a city just for the experience. I will try to get some internships over the summer as well.

Tsmith10803

14-01-2007 16:05:08

I still say the subways are nice and clean. The tunnels themselves are rat infested and grimey, but any Manhattan subway is pleasant. Other borough's subways, that's another story, but yea, NYC is still the best city out there. By Far

bsi4063

14-01-2007 16:50:36

HERE IS SOMETHING Funny!!

I went to Paris, the only fast-food chain was MCDONALDS DOMINOS AND PIZZA HUT, then on one of the last days as we were going to Sacre Coeur we GOT off at the train station and as going up I was like there is alot of black people..

What is the first thing we see when we get out of the train station?

A Kentucky Fried Chicken(KFC) restaurant the only other fast food chain, I guess black people and chicken are synonymous around the world

Dippy

14-01-2007 17:13:01

[quote984d26a1df="bballp6699"]Wait, you put a 42 inch plasma TV outside and are surprised it was stolen?

That really sucks man, but that's just asking for trouble.[/quote984d26a1df]

Yeah I know!! haha.

Explain to me again, why was a 42" plasma doing outside? Do his parents prefer watching their "home movies" outside in the rain??

GCY

14-01-2007 17:33:49

[quote8b6d1e0a02="Tsmith10803"]I still say the subways are nice and clean. The tunnels themselves are rat infested and grimey, but any Manhattan subway is pleasant. Other borough's subways, that's another story, but yea, NYC is still the best city out there. By Far[/quote8b6d1e0a02]
um..all manhattan bound subways comes from another borough. Are u even from the city?? The cleanliness of Subways and its stations varies from place to place. Some subways are the cleanest they can be. The Lexington Ave Lines(green...4,5,6 trains) are by far the best. Well, they're newer than any other trains and pretty sweet looking too.

Dave82

14-01-2007 18:05:46

First of all, no one should have the idea that gated communities do anything more than decrease traffic flow. There is less crime, but it still happens. My gf's parents live in a gated community in Pepper Pike (cheapest home 1.2 million) and they have a gate keeper and patrol officer 24/7. Plus the gates dont just cover the entrance, it goes around the houses. Even if you're walking on the sidewalks you cant get in. I have "hockey puck" thing that goes on the inside/underside of my bumper that lets me in there.
BUT...just last week my gf said that[bab120a5a6b] someone's house was broken into.[/bab120a5a6b]

People can get through gates, they find ways and know what to say. Guards arent perfect. No system is.

I lived in a gated apartment complex. Something i learned is that MAINTANENCE and PEOPLE WHO WORK THERE ARE BIGGEST FUCKING THEIVES. They even conspire with outside people so they arent in the direct light.
I wouldnt be surprised if it was an inside job.

That is shitty that your parents got screwed like that.

Not that it always makes a difference, and in your case i dont think it would have But if the TV is in your house, have it engraved with your drivers license number. My friend is a cop and he told me once that [bab120a5a6b]if you call up your local police station they will loan you out an engraver for free[/bab120a5a6b]. They recommend engraving your DL number because it identifies you and doesnt give out imp info like a ss#. Also see if you can engrave it a discrete place too in addition to the side. The theif limightli think twice, obviously they can scratch those things out, but it lesses the odds a little. Plus if they are reselling the stolen merchandise they might think twice because someone might not want to purchase it if there is a scratched out engraving on the side. Kinda suspicious.

I thought of this, and it is kinda stupid, but i do it anyway. On the side of my plasma I put a sticker that says "Product equiped with factory tracking system"
Just a stupid sticker, but i had it professionally made and maybe the theif will think twice.

Sounds silly, but i dont know, i still do it oops

[quoteab120a5a6b]Its a sad comment on society that people blame something getting stolen on the person that got jacked...[/quoteab120a5a6b]

I agree with that. However i think people should have awareness of how the world is and unfortunately we have to adjust to the criminal standard and take precautions.

I'm confused it was outside..... meaning a sunroom? Or outside because they just got it and were in the process of having it carried inside??

I spent a summer in cali. Some people dont leave their patio furniture outside because it gets stolen in the area i was at. It sucks, but we in society have to take neccessary precautions as unfair as it is that we have to adjust to criminals imposing on our rights.

It's easy to say, "Oh were like in North Dakota, I never thought anyone one would steal out backyard bbq grill" but it can happen anywhere.

Losing patio furniture is one thing, but anything with value, such as a grill should be secured.

It isnt the fault of the victim by any means!!! Dont get me wrong. If you are mugged in a bad area, you have a right NOT TO BE MUGGED. It is 100% the muggers fault. It could happen anywhere in broad daylight. I only say [iab120a5a6b]try and minimize your risks[/iab120a5a6b]. Dont walk alone in a bad area at 2am. If might not be your fault, but try and minimize your risks. Dont keep a plasma television on your porch. It is more likely to get stolen there.

We dont have to make ourselves live in a bubble with everything chained to the wall, but a little common sense goes a long way.

Also, side note, claiming it with insurance makes your rates go up. Do find out if it is even worth it to report it with them. Definately fill out a police report ASAP when this stuff happens and also file a report to the landlord if you rent.

hehehhehe

14-01-2007 18:12:45

[quotead2092129d="GCY"]um..all manhattan bound subways comes from another borough. Are u even from the city?? The cleanliness of Subways and its stations varies from place to place. Some subways are the cleanest they can be. The Lexington Ave Lines(green...4,5,6 trains) are by far the best. Well, they're newer than any other trains and pretty sweet looking too.[/quotead2092129d]
Yeah that was what I was going to say. The 4, 5, 6 trains are usually in the best shape, I always figured it was because it served the upper east side (although it also goes to the bronx). The cars are overcrowded during rush hour as with anything else but otherwise it's fine. I also wouldn't say it's litter ridden either.

Many stations are in scummy shape but they get renovated from time to time.

And bball, that's crazy that some guy said that to you. While Chelsea has great areas, it has some shitty parts along with the Garment district (I'm guessing you were going up 8-10th Ave). Still I've never seen/heard anything nearly as bad. Maybe you looked like tourists so the guy was fucking with you, not in a pleasant way of course.

bsi, the main reason that KFC had so many blacks is because that's a part of the 18th district where a lot of african immigrants live. I've been to that KFC and yeah, it was just packed with africans. Other KFCs in Paris aren't like that.

Dave82

14-01-2007 18:20:32

[i22779fbefa]"I" before "e" except after "c"[/i22779fbefa].... i know, i cant spell oops

[b22779fbefa]thief.[/b22779fbefa]

bballp6699

14-01-2007 18:33:14

[quote560ae6f191="hehehhehe"]
And bball, that's crazy that some guy said that to you. While Chelsea has great areas, it has some shitty parts along with the Garment district (I'm guessing you were going up 8-10th Ave). Still I've never seen/heard anything nearly as bad. Maybe you looked like tourists so the guy was fucking with you, not in a pleasant way of course.
[/quote560ae6f191]

Yeah, it might be because I didn't want to buy his buddy's shit CD.

Wolfeman

15-01-2007 09:46:01

[quote16872dec60="Dippy"][quote16872dec60="bballp6699"]Wait, you put a 42 inch plasma TV outside and are surprised it was stolen?

That really sucks man, but that's just asking for trouble.[/quote16872dec60]

Yeah I know!! haha.

Explain to me again, why was a 42" plasma doing outside? Do his parents prefer watching their "home movies" outside in the rain??[/quote16872dec60]
No they like watching football and basketball in their backyard and when we have BBQs. I really think you should STFU or I'll permaban you...

Kidd

15-01-2007 10:54:39

i find it perfectly normal that he has a plasma outside i mean people who have nice backyards and what not have nice outside huts or w/e u wanna call them and they put tvs inside and when they have company over its a nice thing to have.

i kno people who have that here in ny.

Tsmith10803

15-01-2007 11:02:43

[quote82390c7a62="GCY"][quote82390c7a62="Tsmith10803"]I still say the subways are nice and clean. The tunnels themselves are rat infested and grimey, but any Manhattan subway is pleasant. Other borough's subways, that's another story, but yea, NYC is still the best city out there. By Far[/quote82390c7a62]
um..all manhattan bound subways comes from another borough. Are u even from the city?? The cleanliness of Subways and its stations varies from place to place. Some subways are the cleanest they can be. The Lexington Ave Lines(green...4,5,6 trains) are by far the best. Well, they're newer than any other trains and pretty sweet looking too.[/quote82390c7a62]
By The manhatten subways, I was pretty much just talking about the time square shuttle. Yea, I am from the city btw
wink
And I still say the subways are nice and clean, but you nailed all the best ones, 4,5, and 6 are very nice, but others are just as enjoyable.

Tholek

15-01-2007 11:47:31

There's more New Yorkers here than I previously thought. )

[quote36a42b5bbd="good2speed"]i wouldve slapped that black dude. If black people want to claim anything in Manhattan it better be the LES( Lower East Side) or Harlem.[/quote36a42b5bbd]

Since when have black people "claimed" the lower east side? ?

There's a couple of projects, yeah, but the tenant population is mostly hispanic. Plus the area is predominantly still home to Jews and new Yuppies moving in to regentrify that area.

good2speed

15-01-2007 12:18:10

[quote5689fe6bf2="Tholek"]There's more New Yorkers here than I previously thought. )

[quote5689fe6bf2="good2speed"]i wouldve slapped that black dude. If black people want to claim anything in Manhattan it better be the LES( Lower East Side) or Harlem.[/quote5689fe6bf2]

Since when have black people "claimed" the lower east side? ?

There's a couple of projects, yeah, but the tenant population is mostly hispanic. Plus the area is predominantly still home to Jews and new Yuppies moving in to regentrify that area.[/quote5689fe6bf2]

Obviously Harlem would be a more accurate depiction based on demographic but there are also a lot of Hispanics there as well. Basically I dont condone claiming territory as land is land and we should all be entitled to visit and congregate where ever we feel. All I was responding to is the guy was dumb and even if he wanted to claim land it should be either of those two areas.

freaky1718

15-01-2007 13:09:40

[quote7b01ed4ba4="bsi4063"]HERE IS SOMETHING Funny!!

I went to Paris, the only fast-food chain was MCDONALDS DOMINOS AND PIZZA HUT, then on one of the last days as we were going to Sacre Coeur we GOT off at the train station and as going up I was like there is alot of black people..

What is the first thing we see when we get out of the train station?

thats fucked up

A Kentucky Fried Chicken(KFC) restaurant the only other fast food chain, I guess black people and chicken are synonymous around the world[/quote7b01ed4ba4]