The Zune

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=51275

ClassAct

11-01-2007 17:13:10

Anyone else here own a zune and if so hows your feelings towards it.

punjabi_munda

11-01-2007 17:36:38

i have one and i think ipod<zune

ClassAct

11-01-2007 17:38:09

U been able to share songs with anybody? I got no zune's near me

TFOAF

11-01-2007 17:40:50

[quote5e1ace2538="ClassAct"]U been able to share songs with anybody? I got no zune's near me[/quote5e1ace2538]
Yeah (with people who have Zunes). And those people only have the song for a maximum of three days, then they have the option to purchase it.

ClassAct

11-01-2007 17:48:21

I know about the sharing I was asking in general has he shared with anyyone, cause when i go to it i can never get another zune within range

mushybubbler

11-01-2007 18:19:21

I have one too and I also think zune > ipod )

and I havent shared with anybody yet, have to wait for it to get more popular. All of my friends have ipods but are now taking a very close look at the zune now that they saw mine ;)

cwncool

11-01-2007 18:29:43

I don't like it (experience from playing with it at target and frys) because it doesn't have any type of navigation wheel or other means of quick navigation. You have to press the down button repeatedly. lishrugli

Gooogler

11-01-2007 18:36:05

I actually like having no scroll wheel, that thing is like an over-sensitive mouse. I got a Zune and love it, definitely like it way more than my iPod video.

ClassAct

11-01-2007 18:54:15

I like not having the click wheel, I will say buttons are a pain at some times (thats only cause I got that aquartic case and is as thick as a car window) anyone have the itrip version for the zune, i got one of the belkin ones for like 39 instead of the itrip type deal one that was like 89

h3x

11-01-2007 19:03:43

I also own a Zune and I love it... Sure it's lacking a few minor features that would have been nice (which I'm sure will be added soon), but other than that it's great. I'm also glad there is no scroll wheel, i find those to be a pain in the ass and they easily short out from moisture [rain]... I've had no problems with it so far (I had a 20gig iPod that had to be constantly swapped at the Apple Store for various situations battery life, hard drive failure, click wheel short)...

Sorting through songs (in my opinion) is easier to use... It's a directional pad (up, left, down, right) with a center button... Holding down the up or down button will scroll up or down the list and when you hold it down, it will display the first letter that it's currently highlight... So for example, I have 10,000 songs and I scroll down for say a few seconds, it will display "E", "F", "G" as I scroll down and once I get to the letter I want I let go and select the song... Much easier in my opinion than rotating a click wheel with a sensor clockwise and counterclockwise.

You also don't need a case for it to protect from scratches, the screen is very sturdy and well made.

The real icing on the cake is that Zune's functionality is upgradeable through firmware updates... Peter Moore said there will be Zune Games soon and other MS employees have hinted towards added Zune phone functionality. Personally, I can't wait for Wireless Zune to LAN networking.

[quote086e58de23]"A Zune phone is definitely part of the future of this brand." -Chris Stephenson, GM for Zune[/quote086e58de23]

[quote086e58de23]"We're actively seeking partners in the phone business" -Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO[/quote086e58de23]

The first added feature firmware update is set for this spring.

BD2006BD

11-01-2007 21:06:15

Whoops, I just made a thread about this in the Tech section.. but I deleted it.

Is there a way to 'eject' it from the media player so you can unplug it? Like the iPod?

And I got it today.. I love how it displays the album art and how it automatically displays it. Only con so far is that the radio doesn't display the songs like it said it would.

h3x

11-01-2007 21:17:10

[quote4c9f17099e="BD2006BD"]Whoops, I just made a thread about this in the Tech section.. but I deleted it.

Is there a way to 'eject' it from the media player so you can unplug it? Like the iPod?

And I got it today.. I love how it displays the album art and how it automatically displays it. Only con so far is that the radio doesn't display the songs like it said it would.[/quote4c9f17099e]

It only displays the song information if the radio station you're listening to broadcasts the RBDS data... How else would it work?

As for the ejecting... Are you referring to the Zune Media Player? It should have an eject button next to your Zune device in the list.

bonehead848

12-01-2007 10:52:28

Alright, i bought a zune on the release date because i had been waiting for it for a while. Long story short i returned it and now own an 80gb ipod. I think i ended up with a faulty battery bacause it was just awful on the zune, completely unusable. Other than that it was pretty bricklike, not really pocket material, i always had to stick it in my bag. The screen and radio were really nice, but not that great.

Also, zune games were not slated for "soon," they are not scheduled for release until june 08

h3x

12-01-2007 13:24:36

[quote9fcecce8eb="bonehead848"]Alright, i bought a zune on the release date because i had been waiting for it for a while. Long story short i returned it and now own an 80gb iPod. I think i ended up with a faulty battery bacause it was just awful on the zune, completely unusable. Other than that it was pretty bricklike, not really pocket material, i always had to stick it in my bag. The screen and radio were really nice, but not that great.

Also, zune games were not slated for "soon," they are not scheduled for release until june 08[/quote9fcecce8eb]

That's not what Peter Moore said... He said they'll have games available for the Zune within 18 months (according to xbox-scene).

Can you also explain what you mean by it's not wearable because it was "bricklike"? It's only 0.03 inches thicker than the 80 GB iPod and it should fit in your pocket just fine unless you like your pants emo tight.

bonehead848

12-01-2007 15:37:53

[quoted78c4df203="h3x"][quoted78c4df203="bonehead848"]Alright, i bought a zune on the release date because i had been waiting for it for a while. Long story short i returned it and now own an 80gb iPod. I think i ended up with a faulty battery bacause it was just awful on the zune, completely unusable. Other than that it was pretty bricklike, not really pocket material, i always had to stick it in my bag. The screen and radio were really nice, but not that great.

Also, zune games were not slated for "soon," they are not scheduled for release until june 08[/quoted78c4df203]

That's not what Peter Moore said... He said they'll have games available for the Zune within 18 months (according to xbox-scene).

Can you also explain what you mean by it's not wearable because it was "bricklike"? It's only 0.03 inches thicker than the 80 GB iPod and it should fit in your pocket just fine unless you like your pants emo tight.[/quoted78c4df203]
ok, so by july 08 instead of at july08, not that big of a difference, still is not soon. Here it is on engadget
http//www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/microsoft-confirms-zune-will-play-games-by-july-2008/
The reason i think it is bricklike and not pocketable is not just the thickness, but also the height and the edges. The edges of the zune are all square, hence bricklike, and not rounded like the ipods. I think i will definately be a zune v2 user once they clean it up a little bit.