Stop Global Warming

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=50905

giovannip811

06-01-2007 16:43:06

Help stop global warming today. People are getting killed everyday. If we dont act now in 15-20 years, we will all die!

How?

Global warming is the heating of the earth. We have many big glaciers, if they melt, the world will be flooded.

Stop Littering, Using Too Much Electricity, Warn Factories about what The smoke is doing to the earth. We only have one earth. Keep it alive. Reply with your First and Middle Name or Just first so I can add you to the petition. I will be writing a letter to the president to make an announcement about this. We need 50 people, we need you. Reply with your Name please.

Visit my website, it is the signature.

tjwor

06-01-2007 17:32:38

How does Littering effect global warming again?

BoYgAB90

06-01-2007 17:42:22

whats global warming again?

tracemhunter

06-01-2007 17:42:22

How many refs?

Armstrong

06-01-2007 17:49:02

Al Gore Rules!!! wheres the snow?

bruman

06-01-2007 18:03:42

[quote3365d9171f="giovannip811"] People are getting killed everyday. If we dont act now in 15-20 years, we will all die![/quote3365d9171f]

OMG!!!!!!

jy3

06-01-2007 18:17:27

50 people can change the world. that is impressive optimism )
some things to consider
are we just in a natural cycle with warming temperatures? this has happened before
could the earth warm more quickly than predicted?
with other countries adding to the polution helping warm the earth, will a change in the USA matter?
does my flatulence add to the problem?

kidd2108

06-01-2007 18:34:00

I think there is a problem that is slowly growing. NYC is supposed to be frozen cold by now, yet I was in shorts and people were at the beach. lol

Tsmith10803

06-01-2007 18:50:38

There is no facts to support global warming
We've only been recording temperature and weather conditions throughout the world for around 150-200 years. Only around 100 or so years accurately.
Just because we have a set calender for when it should snow, doesn't mean the earth does. NYC has been warm thanks to many conditions, one of which being an el nino. There are no facts to support that global warming is real, so right now, it's just a theory. How you stop a theory, I don't know, but I'd imagine kill the one who starts it and brings it up the most. Al Gore must die P

Dave82

06-01-2007 19:01:14

[quote3a8ba2e256="tracemhunter"]How many refs?[/quote3a8ba2e256]
lol!

At first i thought you were one of those people who registers a name to make just one post about something to "bring awareness" to an issue...

reminds me of
http//forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=49238

Labtec-Jay

06-01-2007 19:26:39

freewebs, you must mean business.

dang

Godrockdj

06-01-2007 19:34:56

[quotea6273f004a="Tsmith10803"]There is no facts to support global warming
We've only been recording temperature and weather conditions throughout the world for around 150-200 years. Only around 100 or so years accurately.
Just because we have a set calender for when it should snow, doesn't mean the earth does. NYC has been warm thanks to many conditions, one of which being an el nino[/sizea6273f004a]. There are no facts to support that global warming is real, so right now, it's just a theory. How you stop a theory, I don't know, but I'd imagine kill the one who starts it and brings it up the most. Al Gore must die P[/quotea6273f004a]

http//www.buzzhumor.com/images/36/chris_farley_el_nino01-tn773f51.jpg[" alt=""/imga6273f004a]

jy3

06-01-2007 20:28:46

[quoted93d91873e="Tsmith10803"]There is no facts to support global warming
Just because we have a set calender for when it should snow, doesn't mean the earth does. NYC has been warm thanks to many conditions, one of which being an el nino. There are no facts to support that global warming is real, so right now, it's just a theory. How you stop a theory, I don't know, but I'd imagine kill the one who starts it and brings it up the most. Al Gore must die P[/quoted93d91873e]

na, there is plenty of data that supports global warming. mentioning that there are no facts is irrelevant - anyone familiar with science will tell you there are no "facts" in science

ajasax

06-01-2007 21:16:43

http//youtube.com/watch?v=w-ogUCrZafY

theysayjump

06-01-2007 21:24:34

The U.S. being the highest (or very close second behind China, not sure if the Chinese have caught up yet) polluter on this planet means that any kind of action to cut or control the amount that is emitted in this country can only be a good thing.

Bush opting out of the Kyoto Treaty because it would be a strain on the economy and not worth it, is as pathetic and narrow-minded a viewpoint you would come to expect from him.

The world is getting warmer, therefore Global Warming is real and is happening.

Obviously, there's a lot of sensationalism that comes along with it, so you just have to do your research and not take everyones word on it. Whether it's as bad as they say it is or not, there's still no reason to not do your part.

tmberwolff

06-01-2007 21:38:12

[quote1bef1914ee="theysayjump"]
[/quote1bef1914ee]

I rarely disagree with TSJ... but... my best friend is an operational meteorologist with several degrees in things that end in -ology. I haven't seen data for the past 2-4 years, but I used to go with him to several technical presentations for various groups, and back then, the professional community had data that showed the global average temperature had fallen some fraction of a degree in the past decade.

Ultimately, nature is cyclic. Just like years ago people were like "OMG!! There's a HOLE in the OZONE!!!" except that data today shows that hole is much smaller, and is on a natural cycle that makes it larger and then smaller.

I do believe humans have the potential to mess with the climate a little, but mostly as a result of some major nuclear event. The data that's out there today does not support that the world is coming to an end, and that the ice caps will melt, and that we're all going to die. not yet, anyway....

I DO believe, though, that we should be more consciensious of how we treat our planet (i.e. we all should do our part, etc...). Just because it doesn't change global climate doesn't mean it isn't screwing up the quality of air we (and our children) will be breathing.

anyway, that's my two cents. )

Dave82

07-01-2007 02:08:11

[quote8b477284b3="theysayjump"]The U.S. being the highest polluter on this planet ...[/quote8b477284b3]

Did that make you feel good to say?
roll lol

Giovanni, I admire you trying to support a cause. I know you're trying to get 50 signature, maybe you can do a search and join an ongoing cause. Or at least read what other support groups have to say and what advice they offer.

Oh, and stop dumping garbage on the whales! THE RAINFOREST IS THE DEVIL!!

jy3

07-01-2007 05:39:49

[quoted49ca56714="theysayjump"]The U.S. being the highest polluter on this planet ...[/quoted49ca56714]

yeah i realized that after I posted )
I agree that this is a concern, I just like to play devils advocate, which, by the way is an excellent movie

TFOAF

07-01-2007 05:44:10

Great. Now Global Warming is really starting to take effect here. I live in New Jersey. Yesterday it was 70 degrees. It should be like 30. Records are being set daily because of this. The only way to fix global warming is us. We have to stop using shit that fucks up the Earth. That's the only way. Otherwise, we're just fucking up our future.

ragefu

07-01-2007 09:32:01

Never listen to Al Gore

MyJobIsThis

07-01-2007 09:48:08

I don't have a garbage man....I get our garbage bags then travel to the nearest woods, Ponds, Lakes ext.... Through my shit in there...

TryinToGetPaid

07-01-2007 10:50:19

You mean Throw?

Tsmith10803

07-01-2007 10:51:23

[quote5fe8e54455="TFOAF"]Great. Now Global Warming is really starting to take effect here. I live in New Jersey. Yesterday it was 70 degrees. It should be like 30. Records are being set daily because of this. The only way to fix global warming is us. We have to stop using shit that fucks up the Earth. That's the only way. Otherwise, we're just fucking up our future.[/quote5fe8e54455]
No, Global warming isn't taking effect in New Jersey.
It's all explainable weather, and it's "No Cause for Alarm" and you should "Enjoy it while You can"
http//www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16457787/

TFOAF

07-01-2007 10:52:07

[quote455fdf8ef3="MyJobIsThis"]I don't have a garbage man....I get our garbage bags then travel to the nearest woods, Ponds, Lakes ext.... Through my shit in there...[/quote455fdf8ef3]
That's genious. evil

doylnea

07-01-2007 20:44:48

[quote91ebb5337a="tmberwolff"][quote91ebb5337a="theysayjump"]
[/quote91ebb5337a]

I rarely disagree with TSJ... but... my best friend is an operational meteorologist with several degrees in things that end in -ology. I haven't seen data for the past 2-4 years, but I used to go with him to several technical presentations for various groups, and back then, the professional community had data that showed the global average temperature had fallen some fraction of a degree in the past decade.

Ultimately, nature is cyclic. Just like years ago people were like "OMG!! There's a HOLE in the OZONE!!!" except that data today shows that hole is much smaller, and is on a natural cycle that makes it larger and then smaller.

I do believe humans have the potential to mess with the climate a little, but mostly as a result of some major nuclear event. The data that's out there today does not support that the world is coming to an end, and that the ice caps will melt, and that we're all going to die. not yet, anyway....

I DO believe, though, that we should be more consciensious of how we treat our planet (i.e. we all should do our part, etc...). Just because it doesn't change global climate doesn't mean it isn't screwing up the quality of air we (and our children) will be breathing.

anyway, that's my two cents. )[/quote91ebb5337a]

without spending too much time responding, here are a couple of bullets points and a couple of other comments...

according to NOAA, 2005 had
[list91ebb5337a][li91ebb5337a]Warmest average global temperature on record
[li91ebb5337a]Lowest Northern Hemisphere sea ice extent on record
[li91ebb5337a]Highest number of named storms and hurricanes in Atlantic on record
[li91ebb5337a]Northwest U.S. snowpack less than 50% of normal[/listu91ebb5337a]
Even more to the point, global temperature has risen 0.6°C (1.1°F) since 1900, and the rate of increase has tripled over the past 30 years. But, it's easy to dismiss the data as just illustrative of the past 100 years, as a cyclical event, but if you look at the data there's a distinct upward trend since the industrial revolution. I don't have the data here, but I'll grab the charts for the past few hundred years that show an increase in global CO2, temperature and "greenhouse gas" tomorrow if anyone's interested. Furthermore, it's hard to dismiss Science's thorough review of the record[=http//www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686] thorough review of the record which shows all of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, all major scientific bodies in the United States, and 928 refereed articles either agree, or do not refute global climate change caused by humans.

Furthermore, even places like junkscience.com include charts on their website like this one that show the effects of global warming
http//www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/GHCN-ERSST.gif[" alt=""/img91ebb5337a]

Finally, that the hole in the ozone is smaller, or not of concern can be statistically attributed to late 1980's ban of CFCs.

hehehhehe

08-01-2007 20:03:11

I'm surprised anyone still believes global warming isn't happening. It is happening, although scientists aren't completely in agreement as to the cause. Obvious signs are the melting icecaps and glaciers and disappearing bodies of water. It could be us, or it could be cyclical. In this case, it's obviously better to be safe than sorry and do something, like sign the fucking Kyoto protocol. China and India shouldn't be exempt either.

Gooogler

08-01-2007 20:35:48

All of you who say it's not snowing as much anymore are crazy. We currently have the most snow we have had in 25 years here and we are heading into our 4th blizzard in 3 weeks. I am nearing 100" of snow at my house.

MyJobIsThis

09-01-2007 09:11:23

It hasn't snowed at all here in KY, Normally It snows like 2-3 times a week It hasn't snowed at all this year. Hmm Odd.

petezahut2

09-01-2007 13:59:00

You know that the farts and shit of cows increase global warming a lot more than cars and stuff do.

Easy_Money

09-01-2007 21:10:52

The refusal to sign the Kyoto Treaty wasn't simply an economic defense or a narrow minded action by the President, but also in defense of our country's ability to regulate its future industrial development.

Not sure about you, but I'm not so sure that allowing Japan, China, or any other nation that has decided to support the Kyoto Treaty, the ability to dictate weather(haha) the United States may or may not continue with a project that could create a strong economic environment becuase the earth may overheat in a few hundred years is a direction that we should be heading.

Why allow another country that is competing in a global market place to shut down one of our industrial operations because we happen to produce a few more pollutants than they? What are the true motives of that country anyway?

Additionally, except for environmentalists, most support the President's refusal to sign the Kyoto Treaty.

Anywho, just my opinion.

doylnea

10-01-2007 09:53:18

http//www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-sci-temperature10jan10,0,4718993.story?coll=la-home-headlines
[quote33cbe875be]Overall, annual temperatures in the U.S. and around the world are one degree higher than a century ago and the rate of warming has accelerated threefold in recent decades. Eight of the last 10 years are the warmest on record worldwide. Climate experts at the British Meteorological Office last week predicted that this year could easily become the warmest year globally on record.[/quote33cbe875be]

http//www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/09/AR2007010901949.html
[quote33cbe875be]"People should be concerned about what we are doing to the climate," said Jay Lawrimore, chief of the climate monitoring branch of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. "Burning of fossil fuels is causing an increase in greenhouse gases, and there's a broad scientific consensus that is producing climate change."[/quote33cbe875be]

irannaked

10-01-2007 22:41:48

WERE ALL GANNA DIEE!!!!!!!

doylnea

30-01-2007 09:25:07

http//www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/29/news/climate.php

[quotea7b97cd73f]According to scientists involved in writing and reviewing the report, the fourth since 1990 from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a body overseen by the United Nations, the paper is nearly certain to conclude that there is at least a 90 percent chance that human-caused emissions are the main cause of warming since 1950.

Among findings in recent drafts are that the Arctic Ocean could largely be devoid of sea ice in summers in this century; the Mediterranean shores of Europe could become barely habitable in summers while the Alps shift from snowy winter destinations to summer havens from the heat; growing seasons in temperate regions will expand, while droughts will further ravage semi-arid regions of Africa and southern Asia.[/quotea7b97cd73f]

fawker

30-01-2007 11:19:26

you know whats funny is the wind chill is -2 and it hasn't been like that in a few years btw I live in Kansas City

Tsmith10803

30-01-2007 13:40:16

[quote66c29aeb07]
na, there is plenty of data that supports global warming. mentioning that there are no facts is irrelevant - anyone familiar with science will tell you there are no "facts" in science[/quote66c29aeb07]

Sorry, I used the word facts too loosely, I mean that, we haven't been recording data for long enough to really justify anything. The earth could very well just be recalibrating itself from winters past.

doylnea

30-01-2007 16:45:51

[quotee0adcf3034="Tsmith10803"][quotee0adcf3034]
na, there is plenty of data that supports global warming. mentioning that there are no facts is irrelevant - anyone familiar with science will tell you there are no "facts" in science[/quotee0adcf3034]

Sorry, I used the word facts too loosely, I mean that, we haven't been recording data for long enough to really justify anything. The earth could very well just be recalibrating itself from winters past.[/quotee0adcf3034]

You're likely right, the so-called "scientists" aren't using ice-cores to determine historic atmospheric temperatures, carbon levels, or methane levels, they're just using the last 20 years of data, or whatever they could find by googling.

theysayjump

02-02-2007 00:12:26

http//news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6321351.stm

irannaked

02-02-2007 08:42:09

[quote4437ed553e="Tsmith10803"][quote4437ed553e]
na, there is plenty of data that supports global warming. mentioning that there are no facts is irrelevant - anyone familiar with science will tell you there are no "facts" in science[/quote4437ed553e]

Sorry, I used the word facts too loosely, I mean that, we haven't been recording data for long enough to really justify anything. The earth could very well just be recalibrating itself from winters past.[/quote4437ed553e]

soooo, we're ganna have another ice age? causing human kind as we know it to become close to extinct, which was god's plan seeing how humans are filthy, disgusting creatures?

Veek

02-02-2007 08:46:54

[quote0dc8831ab1="irannaked"][quote0dc8831ab1="Tsmith10803"][quote0dc8831ab1]
na, there is plenty of data that supports global warming. mentioning that there are no facts is irrelevant - anyone familiar with science will tell you there are no "facts" in science[/quote0dc8831ab1]

Sorry, I used the word facts too loosely, I mean that, we haven't been recording data for long enough to really justify anything. The earth could very well just be recalibrating itself from winters past.[/quote0dc8831ab1]

soooo, we're ganna have another ice age? causing human kind as we know it to become close to extinct, which was god's plan seeing how humans are filthy, disgusting creatures?[/quote0dc8831ab1]

You said it.

KnightTrader

03-02-2007 06:57:22

NO! Don't stop global warming. I LOVE GLOBAL WARMING! I Wish it went faster though =(. I really wany my New Jersey house to become Beach-Front property. I'd also love to grow oranges in my backyard. Please, global warming, speed up.