Be careful with paypal

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=49999

BD2006BD

21-12-2006 14:19:29

I just got this email that looked legit.. but the links sent me to some different site with an ip address in the url bar... but it looked exactly like the real site. Whenever you get an email from paypal, you should type in www.paypal.com just to be safe.

PayPal
Protect Your Account Info
Make sure you never provide your password to fraudulent websites.

To safely and securely access the PayPal website or your account, open a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the PayPal URL (https//www.paypal.com/us/) to be sure you are on the real PayPal site.

PayPal will never ask you to enter your password in an email.

To learn more about protecting yourself from fraud, visit the Security Center. Click "Security Center" on the bottom of any PayPal page
Protect Your Password
You should never give your PayPal password to anyone, including PayPal employees.
Dear PayPal Client,

PayPal is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system. We recently reviewed your account, and we need more information to help us provide you with secure service. Until we can collect this information, your access to sensitive account features will be limited or terminated. We would like to restore your access as soon as possible, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

If this procedure is not completed until 24-th of December 2006, we will be forced to suspend your account indefinitetly. Thank you for your cooperation with us as we try hard to ensure your account privacy. If you choose to resolve this problem now please visit our secure webform by clicking the hyperlink below

We encourage you to restore full access as soon as possible
https//www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=login-run

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the Help link located in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences here.

PayPal Email ID PP059

beanman25

21-12-2006 14:21:15

yea, our account has got a few of those, jut send it to email==spoof@paypal.comspoof@paypal.com=spoof@paypal.comspoof@paypal.com/email

dmorris68

21-12-2006 16:29:19

Standard PayPal phishing e-mail. Been getting these for years, usually a few per week. Not only for PayPal but for eBay and several different banks as well.

BlueFusionX

21-12-2006 16:57:25

I never go to any links in my email, I just type it.

irannaked

21-12-2006 18:53:55

yeah i got these before, wether legit of fake, i ignore them. lol

nobody2000

22-12-2006 11:52:51

i get one of these a week. I just delete and carry on, every once in a while, if i catch myself reading one, I'll click the link and fill in username Fuck Password You and then fill out all the info with shit like that.

BlueX

22-12-2006 11:53:59

Google Checkout > PayPal

BD2006BD

22-12-2006 12:16:35

Oh I didn't know people got them so often. This is probably my 2nd one in 2 years.

BlueFusionX

22-12-2006 13:11:05

My PayPal email is on an email account I never read, so I never get them

dmorris68

22-12-2006 14:45:02

[quotef61b8acddd="BlueFusionX"]My PayPal email is on an email account I never read, so I never get them[/quotef61b8acddd]
They don't have anything to do with your PayPal account or your PayPal e-mail. They're random phishing attempts, broadcast across large e-mail lists like any other spam would be. I get them all the time at e-mail addresses that aren't associated with my PayPal account. Not to mention all the phishing attempts for banks and such where I don't even do business nor have ever been a customer.

Offer4All

22-12-2006 15:36:13

[quotec1f0e4921e="BlueX"]Google Checkout > PayPal[/quotec1f0e4921e]

Google Checkout is widely used yet, untill it becomes more popular Paypal will still be the number one option. You will probably still get those fake emails for Google checkout as well.

johnjimjones

22-12-2006 16:14:12

[quote717eeb922f="Offer4All"][quote717eeb922f="BlueX"]Google Checkout > PayPal[/quote717eeb922f]

Google Checkout is widely used yet, untill it becomes more popular Paypal will still be the number one option. You will probably still get those fake emails for Google checkout as well.[/quote717eeb922f]

Their deal with Buy.com I think is working pretty well. I've used it twice already.

Offer4All

22-12-2006 16:26:12

You can use that deal as many times as you want?

Dave82

23-12-2006 06:07:32

[quote9c2f9c3d85="BlueFusionX"]I never go to any links in my email, I just type it.[/quote9c2f9c3d85]

Yeah, this is the best thing. I always do this.

actually both of the BlueXs have been giving good advice lately about paypal and ebay. I am going to check out google's system because people are scaring me about paypal and I am about to list a bunch of stuff on ebay. I just worry that no one will have google checkout because paypal does dominate.

I get at least 2 emails per week telling me that Blah Blah has received my $350 payment for a digital camera and it shows the whole transaction table. Then right under it says sign into your paypal account if you did not authorize this transaction.

BD2006BD

23-12-2006 10:37:17

Only problem with that is that google checkout isn't allowed on ebay. You can see this by going to
http//pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html
and clicking on some examples.

JJPRO11

23-12-2006 16:52:42

your better off just never responding to a paypal email, ever.. unless of course you initiate the conversation. if they really need to contact you about something important, they will call you.