Is this a scam or not (selling an item to someone)

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=49597

Aciddrag0n1

11-12-2006 07:08:17

I recently have been trying to sell my PSP. I posted on craigslist and got a response from someone. He offered me more than what I was asking and asked where to ship the money order to. Today I got an e-mail saying that his money order has been approved and all i needed to do was send the confirmation shipping number and the money order would be shipped to me... Here is the email I got

Thanks for your order,lilililililililililili!
Congratulations! The order placed by the buyer of your item Sam Moley to have a United States Postal Service branded Money OrderSM $lilili.lili (USD) sent to you as payment for item(psp) has successfully been VERIFIED and subsequently APPROVED.
Payment would be delivered to your address provided by your buyer in 3-5 working days via first class delivery immediately we receive the tracking number confirming shipment.
Contact your buyer for shipment arrangements and reply us with the tracking number after the package has been transferred to the buyer's courier service for shipment .
Be assured that your money would be dispatched and delivered to your address in 3-5 days from the moment we receive the shipment tracking number.
Due to the fact that most sellers do not send out item despite the fact that buyers have paid for the item(s),we have made a policy that sellers must ship out items within 48 hours of payment confirmation and send us the tracking number of shipment for verification.
With this no buyer can stop payment with false claim that there is no more transaction between both of you after item has been shipped.We are your mediator, we stand between both the buyer and the seller because we have our name to protect.

So pretty much I have to send out the PSP before I even get the money... I've never seen/heard about this. Can any verify if this is a scam or not?

KeithA

11-12-2006 07:18:14

scam.

Dave82

11-12-2006 07:42:04

[quote5920fa04f4="Aciddrag0n1"]He offered me more than what I was asking and asked where to ship the money order to.
[...]
So pretty much I have to send out the PSP before I even get the money... [/quote5920fa04f4]

[quote5920fa04f4="KeithA"]scam.[/quote5920fa04f4]

I know though you would probably never go for it, even if this thread was not responded to. I just think you were secretly hoping for people to be like, "Oh i have that happen all the time, it's fine."

But you are right, it is fishy. And Keith is right.

egyptianruin

11-12-2006 07:50:16

SCAM ALL THE WAY! Don't do it - everything I have listed on Craigs list so far was nothing but 419 scammers responding. I hate Craigs list.

csurge

11-12-2006 08:23:36

[quotece17923758="egyptianruin"]SCAM ALL THE WAY! Don't do it - everything I have listed on Craigs list so far was nothing but 419 scammers responding. I hate Craigs list.[/quotece17923758]

Hey! Craigslist isn't all scammers... this guy from Brooklyn listed his xbox 360 hard drive and I went over and didn't get jipped, jumped, or killed.

Chris

11-12-2006 08:58:20

[quotee4a6bccfbe="csurge"]... I went over and didn't get jipped, jumped, or killed.[/quotee4a6bccfbe]

Funny how you skipped molested... roll shrug

csurge

11-12-2006 09:08:12

[quote0eb2db681b="Chris"][quote0eb2db681b="csurge"]... I went over and didn't get jipped, jumped, or killed.[/quote0eb2db681b]

Funny how you skipped molested... roll shrug[/quote0eb2db681b]

Because whenever people hear Brooklyn they think sexual offenders...

Stroid

11-12-2006 10:27:39

first this is a scam dont send him/her your psp accept cash only on craigslist and meet in open places. i have purchased a few different items on craigslist and sold items and I have had very pleasant experiences

Cwink78

12-12-2006 15:42:51

I agree, it is a classic scam. There is a section on craigslist that tells you of known scams used on craigslist. You should always read FAQ's and such. Gives you good info!

Peinecone

12-12-2006 18:00:12

I love craigslist. I have found a ton of great stuff, a lot of it free. We even found the house we bought on Craigslist. My sales have gone really smooth also. But i haven't sold any big ticket stuff on there to attack scammers. But i wouldn't offer to ship anything from craigslist. Only pick up and cash.

geej86

12-12-2006 18:13:49

heh. I've only sold one thing on craigslist and it was a package of world series tickets. After talking to the woman on he phone I shipped them to San Diego and she paypaled me one week later. good experience

tjwor

12-12-2006 18:24:59

[quotea333af8ef2="geej86"]heh. I've only sold one thing on craigslist and it was a package of world series tickets. After talking to the woman on he phone I shipped them to San Diego and she paypaled me one week later. good experience[/quotea333af8ef2]

you sent them before she payed anything??? YIKES! shock You are really asking for it on that one...

samz465

12-12-2006 18:27:52

[quote297b7ca5f3="Dave82"][quote297b7ca5f3="Aciddrag0n1"]He offered me more than what I was asking and asked where to ship the money order to.
[...]
So pretty much I have to send out the PSP before I even get the money... [/quote297b7ca5f3]

[quote297b7ca5f3="KeithA"]scam.[/quote297b7ca5f3]

I know though you would probably never go for it, even if this thread was not responded to. I just think you were secretly hoping for people to be like, "Oh i have that happen all the time, it's fine."

But you are right, it is fishy. And Keith is right.[/quote297b7ca5f3]

Lolll

I think thats what everyone goes through when they get emails like this.

unknown uchiha

12-12-2006 19:57:17

OP Send me their email with full headers, I'll try wasting their time so they don't get to any gullible victims.