Appraisers confiscating merchandise - what to do in my case?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=49596

Dave82

11-12-2006 07:02:42

My gf bought a really expensive necklace from her neightbor. The neighbor had the receipt, box, and everything.

Well my fiance later noticed that the necklace didnt have the logo on the metal closure of the necklace. So she wants to have it authenticated at the store.

If it is found to not be authentic, then do they confiscate it? I know my fiance cannot legally into any trouble. But if they take the necklace, then the neighbor wont give her money back.

I am on the business end of law, so i am not sure. Everyone i have asked so far has said yes.

Just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions??

BD2006BD

11-12-2006 07:06:20

I'm not sure.. maybe if you explained that story to the business before you gave it to them they would tell you if they would confiscate it or not.

h3x

11-12-2006 07:10:28

Depends if they are authorized dealers for the brand of necklace...

For example, Rolex authorized dealers are required to confiscate a fake Rolex if they come across one and destroy it...

If the necklace is supposed to have the emblem on the metal closure and it's not present on her necklace, chances are it's a fake... A box and documentation can be replicated...

You can find great Rolex reps that are impossible to tell if they are fake without opening the case back and examining the insides (the serial numbers are engraved in the lugs and the hologram stickers are exactly dead on)... They even include the box, documentation and certificate of authenticity...

However, if he has a receipt from a jewelry store, you could always check with them to see if they in fact sold the necklace to the neighbor... If it's not a reputable jewelry store (or a store you have never heard of, they could have sold him a fake without his knowledge).

Find a jeweler you can trust, is all I can suggest. shrug

Dave82

11-12-2006 07:44:39

My concern is that if they confiscate it, then my neighbor will not give my fiance her monbey back.

I would then have to get legal on her ass. That is such a mess to do.

ANy suggestions on what I should say to the neighbor/ how I should word things?

h3x

11-12-2006 08:48:11

[quote6b44c5c639="Dave82"]My concern is that if they confiscate it, then my neighbor will not give my fiance her monbey back.

I would then have to get legal on her ass. That is such a mess to do.

ANy suggestions on what I should say to the neighbor/ how I should word things?[/quote6b44c5c639]

You're just going to have to tell him the truth... That you have reason to believe that the necklace he sold your girlfriend may be a fake (and point out what you mean)... Then ask the neighbor if he would go with you to the jeweler where he bought the necklace and talk to the jewelers.

Of course, be polite with the neighbor and let him know you mean no offense but it's something that was pointed out to you after the sale was made.

OldManWrigley

11-12-2006 12:28:44

We need more information. I know Tiffany is real strict about that sort of stuff, but if you took a Tiffany necklace into Kay's and it was fake, I doubt big time that they would not let you have it back.....

That's just IMO though shrug

KnightTrader

11-12-2006 13:31:13

Bring it to ANY jewelery Exchange and someone there will help you. At a jewelery exchange no one will confiscate it. Booths over there are owned by independent people. I Work at a place like that, and no one will care if its fake/real. They'll tell you what it is for free.