College Textbooks

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=49506

stackmjwiz

08-12-2006 19:56:13

Has anyone e-mailed their professor ahead of time to ask what books they require?

Last quarter, it took me more than a week to get my books from Amazon. I'd like to get everything before classes start.

Dave82

08-12-2006 20:00:21

[quote3c6f22242e="stackmjwiz"]Has anyone e-mailed their professor ahead of time to ask what books they require?

Last quarter, it took me more than a week to get my books from Amazon. I'd like to get everything before classes start.[/quote3c6f22242e]

Many universities you can look it up on their page. You have to know the section of your class because different prof use different text.

If your doesnt, then email the professor. It will also give a first good impression that you are interested in the books. So introduce yourself blah blah and ask.

Or try calling the campus bookstore. They will tell you the book, then buy it used from somewhere else.

Dave82

08-12-2006 20:07:28

oh yeah, talk to students who have taken the class before. Some professors test completely off lecture, in which case it is a waste to buy the book. Or they cover everything from the text that will be on the test in their lecture, so again waste.

Also, i buy the previous addition sometimes. SOOOOO much cheaper and not that nuch different. You just have to figure out the chapters on your own because the actually number will mostly be different then what he/she says. So if he/she says, "Read chapter 19 for tomorrow" you habve to know the content to you can read it in the older edition. Just ask a classmate. The material will be pretty much the same, just different numbers/sections.

[bdcd3cfd7d4]
Also, good site for comparing prices
http//www.directtextbook.com/[]http//www.directtextbook.com/[/bdcd3cfd7d4]

Or ask a student if they'll sell you there. Harly anyone sells back to the bookstore because they give you nothing. Many dont wanna do the online hassle. So if you ask around, some people will be thrilled that they didnt even have to find a way to sell their book, but rather someone is doing the work for them.

GCY

08-12-2006 20:26:25

older edition isn't much of a difference IMO. Well, if its only 1 or 2 editions apart. I got an older edition book(1 edition apart) on ebay for $5.50 shipped while the newer edition sells for $70. Can't tell the differences between them expect for the mixed up pages.

shortys408

09-12-2006 08:57:31

book stores wont buy back my astronomy books because pluto is not a planet anymore.

Nimh

09-12-2006 16:05:31

[quotede191d62e2="shortys408"]book stores wont buy back my astronomy books because pluto is not a planet anymore.[/quotede191d62e2]

Haha. Sucks.

Gigante

09-12-2006 16:45:50

[quote115729cc01="shortys408"]book stores wont buy back my astronomy books because pluto is not a planet anymore.[/quote115729cc01]

I doubt that. "Planets" is an outdated term. Try comparing each planet to eachother and you will see that there don't share many common characteristics. Pluto has been argued about for decades because they think it may just be a larger asteroid in the asteroid belt. The media just played it off as if this was a new discovery.

johnjimjones

09-12-2006 18:34:22

There was another thread on this, I don't remember what it was, but it had a lot of good suggestions.