Site suggestion

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=49451

Excel

07-12-2006 17:30:29

Hey, I know I'm not an admin or anything and my opinion doesn't really count for anything, but would it be possible to get some stricter rules about thread crapping in the Trading Post?

It seems alot of topics are getting thread crapped often, most commonly I see 3 things
1.) Person offers an amount of Paypal for a referral thats less then standard($10-$15), multiple people tell him thats a low amount and he should raise it.
---Its his decision! If he only wants to pay $10-$15 per ref, then thats what he wants to pay! Maybe hes more interested in trades, which is why hes only offering a low amount. Just because some pay $30 for a certain website, doesn't mean everyone has to

2.)Person is paying Paypal, says he won't pay until after green, regardless of TR. People come in and say he HAS to pay first because of TR - even if they aren't interested in doing the site to begin with.
---I believe in the rules, it says TR is only a guideline! Its there to protect you, but you don't always have to abide by it. If you aren't interested in his conditions, then DON'T DO IT! Simple as that!

3.)Person posted a referral link, every member that looks at the topic proceeds to call him out on it, try to humiliate him, etc.
---Yes, you should read the rules before trading. However, there is no reason for multiple people to call him out and try to embarass about it. We have mods for a reason, if you aren't one, don't try to be one, let the mods do there job!

Anyways, just throwing it out there, cuz it seems like alot of threads have alot of this lately. Not only is the thread crapping unecesary, but it also bumps the topic, meaning all our other topics get pushed down further.

ilanbg

07-12-2006 17:49:58

1. I agree.

2. I haven't seen this , in general, but if a person says this it's usually a sign of a scammer. The other members are only trying to protect the noobs.

3. People should be humiliated until they read the rules. It will give them some incentive.

dmorris68

07-12-2006 17:50:23

[quote2d2a644da6="Excel"]1.) Person offers an amount of Paypal for a referral thats less then standard($10-$15), multiple people tell him thats a low amount and he should raise it.
---Its his decision! If he only wants to pay $10-$15 per ref, then thats what he wants to pay! Maybe hes more interested in trades, which is why hes only offering a low amount. Just because some pay $30 for a certain website, doesn't mean everyone has to[/quote2d2a644da6]

True. Nobody should be flamed, least of all just for being cheap. Maybe that's all they can afford, or maybe that's all it's worth to them. However it's not unreasonable to let them know in a friendly way that they may not have much luck at that price. Ignoring the person without explaining why leads them to believe nobody cares to trade with them. They can be told without it being a threadcrap.

[quote2d2a644da6="Excel"]2.)Person is paying Paypal, says he won't pay until after green, regardless of TR. People come in and say he HAS to pay first because of TR - even if they aren't interested in doing the site to begin with.
---I believe in the rules, it says TR is only a guideline! Its there to protect you, but you don't always have to abide by it. If you aren't interested in his conditions, then DON'T DO IT! Simple as that![/quote2d2a644da6]

True, to a point. Some Trading Rules are strictly enforced, such as the Trading Post posting requirements and the <4 TR credit rule. Others, such as who goes first, are guidelines, but were established for the protection of the members. Two consenting traders can certainly work out whatever agreement they like, however if they venture too far outside the trade rules, and things go awry, they're on their own and will not be supported by the staff here. If you're a higher TR and let a new user convince you to go first, then get shafted, then you have only yourself to blame.

[quote2d2a644da6="Excel"]3.)Person posted a referral link, every member that looks at the topic proceeds to call him out on it, try to humiliate him, etc.
---Yes, you should read the rules before trading. However, there is no reason for multiple people to call him out and try to embarass about it. We have mods for a reason, if you aren't one, don't try to be one, let the mods do there job![/quote2d2a644da6]
Agreed. Then again, as long as it's done in a friendly way and not in a rude or antagonizing way, there's nothing wrong with letting somebody know they shouldn't do it. Posting referral links is technically a bannable offense -- it should NEVER happen because it's one of the golden rules of the forum and reading & understanding the rules are a condition of membership here. Granted, most of us wouldn't ban on a first offense -- I always warn them and/or remove the reflink myself, unless they keep it up -- but depending on our mood, their topic might get locked, or they might even get a temp-ban. They might actually appreciate one of you pointing it out to them in a nice way, before we find out about it.

I also remind people that the Report button is there for reasons exactly like this too. If we didn't want members to help us police the board, it wouldn't be there. But there is almost never an excuse to ridicule or flame someone because they broke a rule. Either give them a gentle reminder (and no need for 12 people to tell them, if somebody already posted, then you don't have to chime in), or report the post and let us handle it.

zdub08

07-12-2006 17:53:35

I see a fair amount of "im paying more for this site check out my thread" comments.

dmorris68

07-12-2006 17:54:49

[quotee804271836="zdub08"]I see a fair amount of "im paying more for this site check out my thread" comments.[/quotee804271836]
Those would be a threadcrap and totally uncalled for. Report them, please.