(LONG POST) Help with my Ebay listing for my FIANCE

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=49430

Dave82

06-12-2006 20:26:54

So my FIANCE (not gf anymore, D) has waaaaaaay too many clothes, shoes, purses, everything! We are moving into a condo in the beginning of next year. She actually volunteered to get rid of some of her stuff, to which i was overjoyed. As soon as i'm done with my finals i am gonna list them on ebay. Her stuff would sell better on ebay than craigslist.

She has a really expensive Christian Dior purse that she wants to sell. I have been doing some research about how to list it. She surprisingly still has the receipt, bag, authenticity cards and all that jazz. She gave me a basic description as i am modifying it.

blah blah blah
I want to make a lisitng page for the purse where i design the html. I will be adding my own photobucket background and pictures. The only thing i can find regarding html is the "Listing Designer" which is only $0.10.... which cant be right??

Like this one
Item number 270064865225
But not the pre-made Ebay tables, one that i would design instead.
I cant seem to find in the help section if there are any stipulations.
Can I have as many images as i want (photobucket)?

If i did the listing gallery then i would not even have to pay for a picture because the first picture is free. So why add pictures if i can add them into the html of the Description, right?

What is the specific feature called that shows your picture in the search as opposed to the camera icon? Edit Answered myself "Gallery" $0.35
==============

My fiance has two of a lot of things. So if i just want to list one and then do a Second Chance Offer for the next high bidder, can i do that? Is there a fee? Is that option still available even if the high bidder pays? I do NOT want to do the whole Dutch auction thing.
I remember I once bid on something and got out bid an hour before it ended. Seconds after the auction ended i got a second chance offer. So i dont know if that means you do that.

============================

Image protection
I branded the images taken of her purse with my email address and ebay account name. I also took pictures of the bag with signs with my email and ebay account.

Is that prohibited by ebay to list your outside contact info (ie my gmail email address)? I also plan on putting in the description something like, "For more pictures, feel free to contact me at" and then my email. So i want to be sure ebay wont pull my auction for that.

================================

Edit Oh yea, waht is the feature called that puts your listing at the TOP of the search? Even if you want them listed lowest price first, these will still be at the top and then there will be a divisionary line, then the search results.

==================================

DONT POST if you dont want to help or if you have something unrelated to say. NO i dont want to use Craigslist, and yes i know my finace has a lot of clothes and blah blah "Why does anyone need a $1200 purse," whatever. Make a separate thread.

[b4b746f717f]I JUST NEED EBAY LISTING HELP HERE.[/b4b746f717f]

As always, +karma

JKirk

06-12-2006 20:37:42

I can't really help you with the technical stuff but I'll give you my advice, which isn't much. For the second chance offer, it does it on it's own at the end of the auction. It's free. For the image protection, that is allowed to post your email for more pictures. I also have a suggestion, promote combined shipping costs. In other words, if someone buys like 2 shirts that are two separate listings, provide them with combined shipping to save them money so be sure to advertise that.

ILoveToys

06-12-2006 20:41:23

Use dreamweaver or frontpage if you must to design your html listing....Then just copy and paste the code into the description part when you list it. No extra cost. ) That's what I always do.

Dave82

06-12-2006 20:44:47

[quotecd0db84582="JKirk"]I can't really help you with the technical stuff but I'll give you my advice, which isn't much. For the second chance offer, it does it on it's own at the end of the auction. It's free. For the image protection, that is allowed to post your email for more pictures. I also have a suggestion, promote combined shipping costs. In other words, if someone buys like 2 shirts that are two separate listings, provide them with combined shipping to save them money so be sure to advertise that.[/quotecd0db84582]

Thanks, good advice.

I just do not want to post my email and then have them pull my auction. The reserve price is kinda high and if they pull my auction i will lose all my fees.

Also, it looks like i should go with the "Value Pack," $0.65 which [icd0db84582]combines a Gallery picture, an item Subtitle, and Listing Designer for a discounted price[/icd0db84582].
And then $4.80 for the reserve over $500

SHEESH! The fees are now 5.25% / 3%....... add that to 5% Paypal and shipping with insurance (God knows how much the shipping insurance will run me for this purse).... and..... sucks man. I see the merit of craigslist finally. But this purse will go for more on ebay so i have no choice

(

Dave82

06-12-2006 20:47:20

[quoteeafabc55fc="ILoveToys"]Use dreamweaver or frontpage if you must to design your html listing....Then just copy and paste the code into the description part when you list it. No extra cost. ) That's what I always do.[/quoteeafabc55fc]

I know basic html.

So the desciption allows for html? Then i dont need the $0.10 Listing Designer. Not that 10cents is anything. I guess Listing Designer is just pre-made tables/backgounds for people who do not know html.
[beafabc55fc]
So HTML in the description is free and automatic??[/beafabc55fc]

BD2006BD

06-12-2006 20:48:46

To send out a second chance offer is free, if they accept it you are charged with a final value fee just like if you listed it.

Dave82

06-12-2006 20:54:33

How are the biding incremenets set up?
I always wondered that.

It isnt always the same. I noticed a lot are .99, 1.04, 1.54, ... then after a while it is just an additional dollar.

But one time i was bidding on tickets and it was in $10 increments.

How does that work?

Edit, so far everyone has given me good advice. I;m moving down giving +karma as time permits. I jsut gave you JKirk. Damn, 114. You really are helpful.

Keep the advice coming! We wanna make money! twisted

JKirk

06-12-2006 20:57:28

I wouldn't really set a reserve if it's going to cost a lot. If you set it lower, it gets more attention and more watchers. I've sold a few expensive items on eBay and that's what I always do.

Dave82

06-12-2006 21:06:15

[quoted034dabebc="JKirk"]I wouldn't really set a reserve if it's going to cost a lot. If you set it lower, it gets more attention and more watchers. I've sold a few expensive items on eBay and that's what I always do.[/quoted034dabebc]

The reserve price is fully refundable IF the item sells. Plus with a reserve price you can set the auction to begin at $0.01 if you want. People bid as they please, but the seller has the option of selling or not if the reserve price is not met.

From ebay help
[quoted034dabebc]Many sellers have found that too high a starting price discourages interest in their item, while an attractively low starting price makes them vulnerable to selling at an unsatisfactorily low price. A reserve price helps with this.

[bd034dabebc]How does it work?[/bd034dabebc]
A reserve price is the lowest price at which you are willing to sell your item. If a bidder does not meet that price, you're not obligated to sell your item. You set your reserve price, as well as a starting price, when you list your item.

The reserve price is not disclosed to bidders, but they will be told that your auction has a reserve price and whether or not the reserve has been met.[/quoted034dabebc]

But i understand what you are saying in a sense that bidders dont want to bid as much when they see "Reserve Not Met."

So should i
A. set a reserve and start the auction at $0.01
or
B. start it off at the high price?

JKirk

06-12-2006 21:13:17

I would set it off at a lower yet not super cheap price. I'm telling you, the word "reserve" does not appeal to bidders. They don't want to play a guessing game with the seller. lol Sorry to make a "useless" post but I've honestly learned this.

J4320

06-12-2006 21:14:12

Start it at $.01 with no reserve and if it doesn't get high enough, have a friend save you.

Dave82

06-12-2006 21:21:22

[quotea9874ce4a9="J4320"]Start it at $.01 with no reserve and if it doesn't get high enough, have a friend save you.[/quotea9874ce4a9]

So true.

I cant wait for the shill bidding lectures to begin...

jy3

06-12-2006 21:35:21

there are great ways to do html. i am unsure of the name but there are services out there that will set up your listing for you and usually for a fee but the awesome thing is that the site/program is interactive and once u get ur html u can just stop.
some links
http//www.freeauctionhelp.com/
http//sbinfocanada.about.com/cs/onlinebusiness/a/ebaysellingtips.htm
http//www.robshelp.com/
[b99e8102548]lililililihttp//www.auctiva.com/free_auction_software_help/help.aspx lililili[/b99e8102548]
also, I would suggest for her cheaper stuff to give them away to a local charity. but i assume she would have done that.
designer purses with authentication are sought after b/c a lot of online retailers are shady and may not have real purses

Dave82

06-12-2006 21:43:08

[quote8cb525c447="jy3"]there are great ways to do html. i am unsure of the name but there are services out there that will set up your listing for you and usually for a fee but the awesome thing is that the site/program is interactive and once u get ur html u can just stop.
some links
http//www.freeauctionhelp.com/
http//sbinfocanada.about.com/cs/onlinebusiness/a/ebaysellingtips.htm
http//www.robshelp.com/
[b8cb525c447]lililililihttp//www.auctiva.com/free_auction_software_help/help.aspx lililili[/b8cb525c447]
also, I would suggest for her cheaper stuff to give them away to a local charity. but i assume she would have done that.
designer purses with authentication are sought after b/c a lot of online retailers are shady and may not have real purses[/quote8cb525c447]
I know html, so i have it all done already. Thanks for the links though, i'll check them out to see if there are any clever ideas.

Her regular clothes she donates. But she has a lot of designer stuff that is in good condition.

She actually cut back on spending after she moved out of her parent's home.

Ebay is full of fakes. But surprisingly, from the research i have done on the specific purse my gf is selling, even the fakes that they blatantly advertise as "Designer Knockoff" are going for $200-$300. shock

dmorris68

07-12-2006 12:38:03

You can basically insert any HTML into the eBay listing page.

The easiest way is to design a stand-alone web page, then copy/paste everything between the <body> tags and paste it into the listing area.

A couple things to be aware of

CSS stylesheets. You can use inline element styles but of course that can be tedious and also defeats some of the benefits of styles. The standard says a <style> include link should only appear in the HEAD, however most browsers will recognize it within the body as well, so you can theoretically include your own stylesheet within the eBay listing. However it's very easy to totally screw up an eBay listing page with your own stylesheets -- it's actually possible to style body and everything, overriding eBay's built-in style for it's own stuff (the standard eBay stuff that surrounds your listing). So tread with care, and use your own initials or something to avoid a namespace conflict with eBay's own stylesheet. Also note that unless you're a cross-browser CSS expert and know the various browser hacks, over-styling will break a lot of browsers, especially IE/Win.

Wrap your listing content within a wrapper table or div. The "proper" way is to use a div, however again you can run into positioning & sizing problems with divs due to IE's buggy box model, so to play it safe you might want to stay old-school and use a table for a wrapper. Using div's for layout and positioning across browsers can be tricky without implementing some cross-browser CSS hacks. Using a wrapper element makes it a lot easier to segregate your listing markup into its own contain. I suppose you could use a too since it doesn't have to be a layout element.