GPS Navigation System

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=49274

Nimh

02-12-2006 20:36:33

Christmas is coming, and my girlfriend recently got lost (A girl got lost? No Way!) driving, so I was thinking I could possibly look into getting her a GPS system for her car so she doesn't get lost anymore. The only problem is, after doing a bit of research, I've found that any of the nice systems worth having are really expensive, and I'm in college with an internship (which means I'm not getting paid, but I'm having fun, so it's ok for now). So I was wondering if anyone had a GPS system that was cheap (I was hoping for something under $100, but I'm thinking that's not happening, so I'll let you guys decide what you think is "cheap") that was at least decent. I'm not even sure what kind of features GPS systems have (some of them have really crazy things, like 6 different ways to get places, finding your dog's shit in the backyard, and things like that. It's crazy!), so if anyone has any recommendations, throw them my way. Or don't. It's up to you.

Thanks in advance.

Edit Should this go in the Tech forum? If so, could some mod move it there?

tylerc

02-12-2006 20:48:25

You missed it, Best Buy had one on sale for Black Friday, but I forget how much it was.

ajasax

02-12-2006 20:49:28

I'm not sure, but I think what you mean by "6 different ways" is the ability of GPS systems to track 6 satellites at once. Although, most GPS devices can track up to 12 simultaneously. You might also want to get one that has WAAS capability (can get you accurate down to 3meters). Although WAAS isn't fully deployed yet (only a few WAAS satellites), it will future-proof your GPS system when WAAS goes into full swing.

I own a handheld Garmin eTrex Legend, and it is fairly accurate for my uses, so in the case of GPS systems, accuracy doesn't improve with higher price, but the features will be more abundant in the upper-range GPSs.

Nimh

02-12-2006 23:18:54

[quoteb118b5eaeb="ajasax"]I'm not sure, but I think what you mean by "6 different ways" is the ability of GPS systems to track 6 satellites at once. Although, most GPS devices can track up to 12 simultaneously. You might also want to get one that has WAAS capability (can get you accurate down to 3meters). Although WAAS isn't fully deployed yet (only a few WAAS satellites), it will future-proof your GPS system when WAAS goes into full swing.

I own a handheld Garmin eTrex Legend, and it is fairly accurate for my uses, so in the case of GPS systems, accuracy doesn't improve with higher price, but the features will be more abundant in the upper-range GPSs.[/quoteb118b5eaeb]

No, by 6 different ways, I meant like 6 routes (minimize highways, maxmize highways, scenic, etc.). How do you like the Garmin? Do you use it while driving? Is it difficult to use while driving, being handheld?

samz465

02-12-2006 23:38:10

My father uses a Garmin Streetpilot C330.

We live in New York and he tends to go to Baltimore for business a lot.

He likes it a lot.

PS He's a real nub with technology, but seems to have an easy time with this, so its pretty user friendly.

fawker

03-12-2006 00:59:24

try slickdeals.net I remember being a gps system there a few days ago

ajasax

03-12-2006 01:59:50

The handheld GPS I have probably isn't good for driving. I've used it once while driving, but the screen was a little small and you have to keep it on/near the dashboard in order to receive the best signal.

I would definitely recommend Garmin. But, in your case, I would look for one with a color screen and expansion card (transFlash) capability (for Points of Interest).

I found a relatively cheap, but highly rated Garmin GPS on Amazon.com for ~$270. That's probably the best one you can get with the least amount of money. It even comes with a suction-cup mount.
Garmin StreetPilot i3[=http//www.amazon.com/Garmin-StreetPilot-12-Parallel-Channel-Vehicle-Navigation/dp/B000ACHVVE]Garmin StreetPilot i3

xyclonez

03-12-2006 16:19:11

the Mio C310x was 150 on black friday, so they might be on sale again soon

Kidd

03-12-2006 16:19:53

there 200 on staples.com free ship now

Nimh

04-12-2006 09:35:28

Thanks for all you're guys help, but it's looking like she's going to break up with me. We've had a long relationship, so I might still get her a gift, but it certainly won't be something this expensive. Again, thank you.

double_d

04-12-2006 13:37:56

Damn. Sorry to hear that, Nimh.

J4320

07-12-2006 19:19:26

I heard that that "tomtom" GPS systems have a $100 rebate from the company. Can you combine that with Google checkout or something?

You might be able to get a decent GPS system for really cheap. I'm kind of interested in this myself. P

Are tomtoms any good? Looks like I'll have to do a little research. )