Does anyone know anything about violins?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=49120

Lightliquid

28-11-2006 19:43:23

I was thinking about buying and learning the violin, but I know nothing about where to buy quality producs or anything like that. I was thinking maybe this

http//cgi.ebay.com/New-4-4-Ebony-German-Antique-Finish-Flamed-Violin_W0QQitemZ130052661754QQihZ003QQcategoryZ38108QQcmdZViewItem

And of coarse, if you have anything to say other than where to buy, please feel free.

ilanbg

28-11-2006 19:48:58

Rent a violin for the first year of playing, to see if you like it.

You can be pretty sure no quality violin will sell for any less than hundreds of dollars.

Do you even know if this violin is the right size for you? I don't remember what the sizes are, but I'm pretty sure this is a child-size violin.

Lightliquid

28-11-2006 20:07:10

[i515a7ac42d]How Do I Know Which Size Violin To Order?

Our Violins are available in 8 different sizes 4/4 (also called full size), 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/10, 1/16 and 1/32. Size 4/4 is the biggest and size 1/32 is the smallest. All adults, regardless of their size, use the size 4/4 violin. [/i515a7ac42d]

And that violin is 4/4

Lightliquid

28-11-2006 20:12:21

Also, where would I go about to rent a violin? Ive never heard of renting instruments.

zdub08

28-11-2006 20:16:19

$100 cant be much more (if any) than renting one for the year

EatChex89

28-11-2006 21:14:00

when you first start out to learn violin, it won't matter too much what type of violin you use as long as the thing works and stays in tune and all that.

I wouldn't recommend buying any violins over the internet since you can't really get a feel for the violin. Go to your local violin shop and borrow some violins and test them out see what violin you like best. If you're full grown, you're going to need a full size violin. (which is what the eBay auction is selling). You [if4d14dc6c7]can[/if4d14dc6c7] buy the eBay auction, but I wouldn't recommend it.

My sister has been a violinist for 10+ years and is majoring in music, so naturally, I know a thing or two about violins.

nobody2000

28-11-2006 21:27:56

musician's friend has some cheap new violins.

Check out guitar center too.

ilanbg

28-11-2006 21:34:05

[quote94c6180d03="Lightliquid"]Also, where would I go about to rent a violin? Ive never heard of renting instruments.[/quote94c6180d03]

If you're going to get lessons (which I highly recommend; violin is not that fun to listen to if you suck at it, unlike guitar or drums or whatever), the teacher will definitely know.

I rented violins up until I had a full size (because I would outgrow the smaller ones), and I never had a problem. It's not expensive (I think you rent them on a yearly or bi-yearly basis).

Dave82

29-11-2006 08:49:05

my cousin has played violin for 13 years. I remember they got her first one from an ad in the newspaper. Look in the wanted section. Or heck, try craiglist. But like mentioned above, try it out in person first.

nobody2000

29-11-2006 10:41:18

well trying in person is no good if he doesn' t know how to play.

Seriously, buy cheap, and buy rugged. When I bought my first guitar, I bought a piece of shit "Mark II" from BJ's and it sucked, but it played, and I learned on it, and when I was ready (meaning that the suckiness of the guitar was actually holding me back) I got a newer, more delicate, nice guitar.

Don't be afraid to buy a low quality violin. Anything under $300 isn't gonna make much of a difference. if you spend $50, or $250, they're both gonna suck by all intents and purposes. The only difference is the machineheads (i dunno what they're called in violins). Their quality may keep it in tune. It IS annoying to play with an out of tune instrument. However, most people aren't so precise with tuning until they build a fine ear later in their music careers. Clunky, cheap machine heads are fine, as long as they move relatively easily. Other than this, the $50-$250 price range will yield rather similar violins.

The thing with violins is you pay money for wood and workmanship. Luckily, there're no frets, so that's one less thing to worry about (as with guitars you do have to worry about it, even on cheap models. A guitar set up with a crappy action will never sell because of the frets).

You'll prolly shoot for an ebony/rosewood neck (i don't think they offer maple in violins) These are hardwoods that will last. I thought that ebony is standard in violins, both cheap ones and expensive ones, so don't worry about choosing this aspect.

Don't bother worrying about the body material. Anything in a starter's price range won't be good enough to play in the Kronos Quartet, but it'll be good enough to learn and start. The resonance will be minimal, and the sound will be tinny, like a fiddle. More money = less tin sound.

Another thing is, the action (height of strings against the neck) can always be adjusted. Usually an action adjustment and intonation on most stringed instruments costs about $25. For you, any violin under $100 will be suitable. Go for a 4/4 size too. It's worth growing into.

Finally, a word of experience. I started on a shit guitar and shit drums, my friend started on a shit bass, and we're both experienced musicians. Other people I know have this same story. Also, people I know who started on nice $800 and up guitars brag about their guitars all the time and they suck at playing.

YOU CAN'T BUY THE TALENT!

Also, what if violin isn't for you? Wouldn't you be glad you only wasted $100 or less? You could sell the violin for almost as much as you paid for it.

Go cheap and work your way up as you get better.

mkpeaches

29-11-2006 12:58:02

just buy a cheap $100 violin for your first year, then get a good one when you get better ;)
cheap violins sound pretty decent if you have some good strings and bow though

UberVash

29-11-2006 12:58:15

Go to any music store to rent one. Most music stores let you rent any instrument-some even have try-buy programs where if you constantly rent the same instrument you get to keep it.

Also, if anyone is ever saying they'll sell you a Stradivarius for cheap, they're lying. P