Nintendo Wii System Update

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=48786

TFOAF

21-11-2006 20:14:32

Has anyone done an update and had problems? It started to download and update, and it was taking a really long time, so I left it on, went out, came back, and saw my Wii was off. I turned it back on, thinking it updated, and then it asked me my country...etc. And then it started to download yet ANOTHER update, which was taking even longer...I had to kill it. Any idea what the problem is, or is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Thanks.

downthesun

21-11-2006 22:00:23

the Wii update is breaking systems and in order for them to be fixed you have to mail them back to nintendo, so you probably shouldnt update it.

http//www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25165823&sid=6162201&tag=latestnews;title;3

[quote0faa530521]

Source A pair of message board threads from Nintendo's official forums, supplemented by other reports from around the Web.

What we heard Last month, some Xbox 360 owners downloaded the Fall Update to the system's dashboard only to find that it had turned their systems into a giant paperweight. Now it appears that one of the first system updates to the Nintendo Wii has similarly affected a portion of the fledgling console's user base, and Nintendo's official forums have attracted numerous reports of broken Wiis.

Apparently the systems in question began exhibiting problems immediately after downloading updates from the WiiConnect 24 service. Specifically, the systems begin giving out the error code "110213." Several of the posters reported getting through to Nintendo's customer service, only to be told that the problem couldn't be fixed from their end and the consoles would need to be sent in to Nintendo for repairs at the company's expense.

According to the Wii error code troubleshooting page, the troubleshooting advice given for that particular error code is to call Nintendo customer service at (800) 255-3700 to resolve the issue.

It appears that some people are having issues with their systems as a result of the update, but the game giant's lack of comment--or even acknowledgement--of the complaints makes it hard to judge the scope of the problem. Nintendo's customer service line has been bogged down for much of the day, insisting that callers try to reach service representatives at some later time when they aren't so busy.

While GameSpot hasn't been able to confirm the Wii-bricking firsthand--all units in the office run smoothly--problems like this are far from unprecedented. Add to that Nintendo's relative inexperience with releasing online firmware updates, and it's not surprising that a glitch affecting a small percentage of Wii users could slip through.

The official story As of press time, a Nintendo representative had not returned GameSpot's requests for comment.

Bogus or not bogus? Tentatively not bogus.
[/quote0faa530521]

BD2006BD

21-11-2006 22:01:30

source?

BTW does anyone else get disc read errors every once in a while?

junkie06

21-11-2006 22:20:07

thats what sucks when buying systems right when the come out, theres always some error or malfunction

fawker

21-11-2006 23:16:44

I updated mine and it works fine...but the update did take a long ass time however I was using some open internet source with a very bad connection (I also had to try the update a few times it stopped and had an error int he middle of a couple

JPeeper

21-11-2006 23:21:53

Not really a Wii question, but what was the xbox 360 update doing to 360's? I must have installed it since I bought all the new games (or got them free)... My Wii from TraInn was just shipped so I guess I won't do the update. Do you need the update to play Wii games? Or..?