Caucasian Club?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=48200

bballp6699

09-11-2006 16:40:09

Discuss.

[quoteb2c988179f]Caucasian Club creates imbroglio

By Valerie Richardson
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

A 15-year-old girl's effort to start a Caucasian Club at her California high school has won her some support — and an avalanche of anger.
Freshman Lisa McClelland gathered about 250 signatures from students and adults to start a club at Freedom High School in Oakley, Calif., that would focus attention on European heritage and history.
Her campaign has won the support of many students, not all of them white, who say such a group would be no different from the school's other ethnic clubs, which include the Black Student Union, the Latinos Unidos and the ALOHA club for Asian-American students.
"I applaud Lisa McClelland. She should be allowed to be proud of her heritage and want to know more about it just like anyone else," said one student on the high school's e-mail forum. "What a bunch of hypocrites when people start using the word 'racist.' Why isn't the Latino club racist? Or the Asian or African-American club?"
But the Caucasian Club has run into opposition from those who accuse the club of fueling racial tension.
Darnell Turner, vice president of the East County National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said he fears the club could morph into a white-supremacy group after Lisa graduates.
"I think she's doing this for the right reasons, but what's going to happen when she graduates? What's it going to turn into?" said Mr. Turner, who added he was speaking for himself and not the NAACP.
He suggested that she change the name to the European-American Club so that the focus would be on heritage, not race.
Lou Calabro, president of the European-American Issues Forum, said he spoke with Lisa on Wednesday when she called to ask for advice.
Since then, he's become an informal adviser for the would-be club. On Friday, he sent letters to two civil-rights organizations requesting an investigation of the school administration.
In the letters, he accused Principal Eric Volta of "resisting the formation of the club" because it "would upset the alleged current positive feelings at the school," said Mr. Calabro in a letter to the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
He cited e-mail he received from Lisa on Friday describing her difficulty in finding an adviser for the club and threats from other students. She also said that teachers are allowing students to place fliers around campus criticizing her campaign.
"She's scared," said Mr. Calabro, who said he receives three to five letters a month from students interested in starting such clubs. "One white football player called her [obscene epithets]. Others are calling her names. She's only 15, so naturally she's upset." [/quoteb2c988179f]

http//www.washtimes.com/national/20030922-115056-2744r.htm

TryinToGetPaid

09-11-2006 16:47:23

About time. There a black everything. No offense to anyone is black but this has long been overdue.

There is a channel JUST for black people (BET) there is the BLACK Grammys (even though black people win Grammys in the REAL Show). They claim that white people are racist, yet they continue to separate themselves from other races.

ragefu

09-11-2006 16:48:36

Of course someone from the NAACP says it would turn into a white supremacy group roll

tylerc

09-11-2006 17:21:03

Give her a fucking medal.

This is not aimed at the black people on this forum personally, but they have everything special for their ethnic group. They have 'ethnic hair products', and like the other guy said, Black Entertainment Television.

But no, can't have a White Entertainment Television, that would make the whites ignorant bigots.

zdub08

09-11-2006 17:28:18

[quote05085e860e="tylerc"]Give her a fucking medal.

This is not aimed at the black people on this forum personally, but they have everything special for their ethnic group. They have 'ethnic hair products', and like the other guy said, Black Entertainment Television.

But no, can't have a White Entertainment Television, that would make the whites ignorant bigots.[/quote05085e860e]
I agree, but doesn't it also make sense that all the things that aren't specifically labeled for whites are created to please the majority?.. whites.

Stroid

09-11-2006 17:28:44

i agree i dont think it's fair that there are every other kind of club except caucasian club and white tv (like BET) doesnt really seem fair to me....i see a super flame fest in this thread

tylerc

09-11-2006 17:37:04

I don't. Personally, I don't see how any non-white can disagree with our statements.

bballp6699

09-11-2006 17:44:38

http/" alt=""/img.2dehands.nl/f/normal/14615287-dvd-white-chicks-nieuw.jpg[/img7032358b7a]

dmorris68

09-11-2006 17:51:37

Yes, there is an implicit double-standard, but it's one born of ugly history, and quite frankly I don't have much of an issue with it. While ideally we should all mingle and meld and be color-blind, the reality of the world is that we are nowhere near that point. There is still a disturbing contingent of racism towards minorities from us Caucasians, and minorities feel they are entitled to assemble together, commiserate, and feel empowered amongst themselves, because not all feel they have that opportunity in the "white" world. If it makes them feel better and more comfortable, I'm fine with that. If they're using it as opportunity to engender hate and breed further intolerance, then I'm not. If this girl or any white person chooses to step up and make a white group, then I applaud their motives (if they are pure, as this case appears, and not of hate or isolationism) but they should not be naive enough to think it will be an easy or even wise thing to do.

Granted, there are idiots on both sides, and there are certainly minorities who intend to milk the hatred of the past for all it's worth, who feel they are owed something because of their ancestors' mistreatment, and love to proselytize and make excuses about how they are still held down by "the man" rather than take responsibility for their own lives (don't get Bill Cosby started!) -- but honestly I think those are in the minority (of the minority). A vocal minority, yes.

Ideally, it IS a silly and hypocritical concept to segregate yourselves while crying out when others do so, but again it's not an ideal world, and there's a lot of ugly history behind it that makes it acceptable in our society for certain people to do things when they are seen as victims.

Perhaps in another 100-200 years we will have filtered out the majority of bigots (from all sides) who feel the need to segregate and highlight our differences.

amir89630

09-11-2006 17:59:07

as long as black people are allowed to join and the club is moderated. Then everything should be alright

Daggoth

09-11-2006 18:11:20

It seems perfectly legit to me. The tables have turned nowadays, it has got to the point where other racial groups have got an advantage over caucasions. The scholarships aimed at african american and hispanic races are enermously generous, including african americans having their own national merit scholarships. To top it off, affirmitive action gives a huge advantage to minorities.

ilanbg

09-11-2006 18:23:49

Heh, I've thought about doing this sort of thing, but I've pissed off enough people in my school as it is.

Anyway, the term caucasian isn't technically accurate[=http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasus]isn't technically accurate to describe her club, but it's the sort of controversial thing that gets a lot of attention, and that can't be bad.

Labtec-Jay

09-11-2006 18:26:13

Turn into a white supremacy group? Have you seen the mexican or black clubs at schools? its basically "kill whitey", they always talk about how the white man ruined them

theysayjump

09-11-2006 20:03:41

http/" alt=""/img225.imageshack.us/img="225/3788/cratehippobv9.gif[" alt=""/img2ef868295b]

[quote2ef868295b]He suggested that she change the name to the European-American Club so that [b2ef868295b]the focus would be on heritage, not race[/b2ef868295b].[/quote2ef868295b]

[quote2ef868295b]Her campaign has won the support of many students, not all of them white, who say such a group would be no different from the school's other ethnic clubs, which include the [b2ef868295b]Black Student Union, the Latinos Unidos[/b2ef868295b][/quote2ef868295b]

h3x

09-11-2006 20:05:01

As long as it doesn't promote racism or any prejudgement amongst any minority... I say go for it...

I'm proud to be an Icelander.

http//www.flagfocus.info/worldflags-large/flag-Iceland-prexy-arms-tra.gif[" alt=""/img964540439c]

J4320

09-11-2006 20:05:33

Hippo-Crate lol. lol

I love that picture.

BD2006BD

09-11-2006 20:10:39

where the hell is our white history month

tylerc

09-11-2006 20:30:02

Can't have that, even though it would be no different than Black History Month, because that would be racist.

ajasax

09-11-2006 22:24:28

I agree with most posts above. However, there is one small problem which is why people are afraid this will turn into some kind of white supremacy group.

She's lumping all people of European descent into one group. From the outside it looks like a group based on race. She has good intentions wanting to share in heritage, etc., but I think she should have separate groups for Irish, English, Italian, etc. That way, on paper, it doesn't turn out that 75% of the student body is in Caucasian club, and the rest in their respective club.