Scammed on eBay... eBay account hacked.. San Fransisco

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=47939

bruman

02-11-2006 13:01:25

Ok, I listed my laptop on eBay. Someone used the "Buy it Now" to purchase it. He sent me an e-mail saying he bought it, and he wanted fast delivery. I told him i'll ship it out the same-day, if possible, as soon as the payment is received. He sent me $550 via PayPal, and his address was verified on PayPal... his address was linked to his eBay account (besides his last name), everything looked legit. He sent me an extra $25 to do it 2-day shipping (he said he wanted it for his brothers b-day). So I sent it out via UPS 2-Day air, and he received it on Wednesday.

Now today, I get an e-mail from the ACTUAL ACCOUNT holder and he says

"Hi. My name is Chris Monteleone (ccm2406). Someone has hacked
into my account and purchased your computer. I am not the buyer
of your computer. Please DO NOT leave me negative feedback, as I
am not the buyer. Thanks"

So I contacted eBay and PayPal. They said the money in PayPal will be reversed. Now i'm stuck here, sent my laptop away, with no money. Total scam and if at all possible i'm not gonna let this guy get away with it.

I'm pretty sure he's not from this country, his last name is "kirubakaran", and he's from San Fransisco.

What can I do? Anyone want to go pay him a visit in the San Fransisco area and get it back )

gruffer

02-11-2006 13:03:33

Call the shipping company quickly and try to get the shipment stopped. Withdraw all the money from your paypal account.

Powerbook

02-11-2006 13:07:00

I am sorry to hear this. What the fuck is the world coming to. What ever happened to honest and caring people. ARhh. Anyways, best of luck my friend. I would contact ebay again and keep bitching. Was your item protected? I know they can cover up to a $1k loss?

bruman

02-11-2006 13:19:47

[quote885ee5b096="gruffer"]Call the shipping company quickly and try to get the shipment stopped. Withdraw all the money from your paypal account.[/quote885ee5b096]

It was delivered yesterday.. I was just notified of it today.

And I wasn't the only person who this guy did it for. He also.. well the one I know of, because the seller left the 'buyer' negative feedback, he also bought a $2,000 laptop from someone. That seller was just about to ship it out, but for some reason didn't and left negative feedback. It's gone now (the actual account holder got it reversed).

Here's a link to MY auction http//cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160046181507

And the one other one that I know about (i'm sure he probably tried to buy other things while he had a chance) was this
http//cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270048020274

but the seller never shipped the second one

gruffer

02-11-2006 13:23:19

Was his address confirmed on they paypal details page?

bruman

02-11-2006 13:26:24

Yes, it was..

It was a weird address though.

"Seller Protection Policy
Eligible

Attn. Sellers
You must ship to the address shown below to be protected under PayPal's Seller Protection Policy.

Shipping Address
Danny kirubakaran
50 Landers St
San Francisco CA 94114
santa clara, CA 95050
United States
Confirmed"

It was weird because he had two cities. I contacted him about it, saying there was two cities and just said send it to this address, and just copied and paste the address with the two cities again. I mapquested it and Landers St. is in San Fransisco, not santa clara.. so I sent it w/ San Fransisco.

gruffer

02-11-2006 13:42:22

You followed the SPP so you should be okay. Who says the paypal payment will be reversed, is their a dispute on your paypal account yet?

mistertomlinson

02-11-2006 14:03:44

Rule of thumb don't do business with eBayers with funny names or poor english... I had a guy (you could tell by the crapily orchestrated messages eBay sent me from him that he was foreign) try to get me to send him my iBook (when I sold it on eBay) before he even paid for it... asshole. I had to relist the notebook and everything!

bruman

02-11-2006 14:16:29

[quoteb933e09d4f="gruffer"]You followed the SPP so you should be okay. Who says the paypal payment will be reversed, is their a dispute on your paypal account yet?[/quoteb933e09d4f]

That's what eBay said

KeithA

02-11-2006 19:19:10

[quoteb1fb050ecd="mistertomlinson"]Rule of thumb don't do business with eBayers with funny names or poor english...[/quoteb1fb050ecd]

This really applies to life in America in general, doesn't it?

EatChex89

02-11-2006 20:18:17

it's a damn shame that you didn't ship fedex.. with fedex you can see who signs your package. then you'd have proof if he signed it or someone related to him..

ajasax

02-11-2006 23:42:20

UPS does that. I've done it a couple times w/ UPS/eBay, and about a week after your package gets delivered, you get a physical copy of the signature of the person who signed for the package. That is, if you have signature confirmation.

I would have automatically become suspicious seeing two cities in the address. Obviously some attempt at fooling Paypal's address confirmation system or something. Also, why are his auction items listed as located in NC? Maybe running a business from SF? Just seems fishy...

bruman

02-11-2006 23:48:10

[quote91633fc5f8="ajasax"]UPS does that. I've done it a couple times w/ UPS/eBay, and about a week after your package gets delivered, you get a physical copy of the signature of the person who signed for the package. That is, if you have signature confirmation.

I would have automatically become suspicious seeing two cities in the address. Obviously some attempt at fooling Paypal's address confirmation system or something. Also, why are his auction items listed as located in NC? Maybe running a business from SF? Just seems fishy...[/quote91633fc5f8]

That's the original account holder's location, in NC. The hacker, who hacked the account and bid on the items lives in SF. The original owner of the account just found out that his account was hacked and restored it, so now it's in it's original hands again.

ltsmash2

03-11-2006 05:23:46

Report this to the SF Police ASAP

kdollar

03-11-2006 07:40:00

thats sucks, how about a brew man...no not funny, im sorry.

bruman

03-11-2006 16:30:53

Here's the tracking # 1Z7W108A0245537328

It says, "Signed by CHU"

Whatever that means

VrExe

03-11-2006 16:36:57

Chu chu, signed by a scammer train.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to complain about this with paypal since you were being an honest seller and shipping it to the verified address. (Well according to the hacked acccount anyways.)

Dave82

03-11-2006 20:31:43

[quote4025e33082="EatChex89"]it's a damn shame that you didn't ship fedex.. with fedex you can see who signs your package. then you'd have proof if he signed it or someone related to him..[/quote4025e33082]

cant the signer just make up a signature or sign really poorly??? I mean they dont ID you when you sign. Its fraud to sign someone else's name. But there is not rule against having a sloppy, illegible signature.

compuguru

03-11-2006 20:34:38

Just because you complain, doesn't mean you'll get your $$$ back though. Not sure what PayPal does in a situation like this.