Tips on selling my car

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=47810

JOSHBOX

29-10-2006 21:03:13

Hey, I have a 92 2wd Ford Explorer that has finally pissed me off to the point that I have to sell it. The starter went out, and once I replace it and get it starting again, I think I am going to sell it. The car is actually in really good condition. It has just above 200K miles on it and a transmission with less than 15k /w reciepts to prove it. It has 1yr old tires, 2 month old brakes, calipers, and brake lines. the car has a few dents on the outside but they are minor. The car has working AC, power locks, and power windows. It also has about $300-600 in new speakers/sub/satellite radio that I am not sure if it is better to keep or sell with the car. Basically I need some advice to get the most $$ for my car, and if I should offer the extra audio equipment with it. I also need advice on where to offer my car, and what you guys think it might be worth. Thanks!

ajasax

29-10-2006 21:57:04

I actually owned a '91 Ford Explorer EB. Just about a week ago I traded it in at a used car dealership and got $2500 for it! A pretty good deal considering the KBB was $2900, the AC didn't work, and the leather on the front seats was in bad shape. It had ~111k miles on it with a rebuilt eng. and tranny around 90k. It ran well. Btw, I traded it in for a VW Passat. Very nice vehicle. A LOT better on gas wink

Xplic1T

29-10-2006 23:26:19

I would say auto trader, but maybe if your looking for a newer car use it as a trade in and avoid the headache, 200 k miles is really not a high selling point.

CollidgeGraduit

30-10-2006 02:55:05

Is the vehicle history pretty clean? I can give you a CARFAX report to show to potential buyers, that would help.

Commander

30-10-2006 03:31:45

Stick it on ebay ;)

Dave82

30-10-2006 06:58:52

I dont know if this makes a diff in your case, but i would imagine if the car was clean, as in interior, it would help in selling. You dont have to spend $100 to get it detailed. But if you clean the interior with household cleaners (you dont need the professional stuff), clean the dash with windex, use some stain remover on the seats, clean out any bad smells, maybe use those car vacuumes by the gas station/car wash.

Just make sure the interior does not end up smelling like cleaner which makes it seem like you cleaned the car just to get it sold as opposed to showing that you take good care of the car.

Kidd

30-10-2006 12:26:19

detail the car like clean the interior wax the outside it makes the car looks really good and well maintained

JOSHBOX

30-10-2006 12:35:39

CG, vehicle history should be 100% clean, I would love a carfax report, I will PM you the VIN later tonight.

CollidgeGraduit

30-10-2006 12:39:52

[quotecdff686a90="JOSHBOX"]CG, vehicle history should be 100% clean, I would love a carfax report, I will PM you the VIN later tonight.[/quotecdff686a90]

Glad to help out a FIPG regular. I can get the history report any time between 7-4, when I'm at work.

tjwor

30-10-2006 13:49:20

make sur eyou talk up the good things about it, and say the bad things as if they aren't a major problem, don't tell them "well, it's a good car but its got all sorts of shit wrong with it" word it as in "it's a great car with a few minor flaws"

pretty much use common since on what you would want if you were going to be buying it instead of you selling it...

LucaBella

31-10-2006 01:48:50

[quoted5add4b136="tjwor"]make sur eyou talk up the good things about it, and say the bad things as if they aren't a major problem, don't tell them "well, it's a good car but its got all sorts of shit wrong with it" word it as in "it's a great car with a few minor flaws"

pretty much use common since on what you would want if you were going to be buying it instead of you selling it...[/quoted5add4b136]

really good advice. combine everything that was said here.

Offer the carfax and offer to show it to whomever would like to see it, clean the car up, and talk up the good parts. don't lie about anything, because the buyer will know where you live!!! If you're planning on posting it online (craigslist is always good) take PLENTY of pictures. Don't take a few and figure if they want more, they'll ask. Make people want your car by showing them everything, mentioning KBB value, and having your price lower than that. Plan to be completely available after 5pm in order to meet anyone who'd want to see it. but make it look really good, polish and clean and vacuum and wash the tires and go all out. a few hours of sweat can make a huge difference in the money you make on it.

I've noticed ebay is not good for sellers, or at least the cars I've looked at always go for significantly lower than anywhere else, unless they've got a BIN option. So craigslist stands out in my head. Cars.com is good too. Go to both sites and search for a car like yours and see how much people are asking for it, to get a good idea of the real world value. KBB is often.... unhelpful/unrealistic. Mention that you're a young guy (I'm guessing) and that this car is a great starter car for high schoolers/grandkids/college freshmen... Try and phrase things so that it seems like if they (potential buyers) have any driving aged kids that they NEED your car...

good luck!

D