Clean out yerr ears!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=47777

mnx12

29-10-2006 10:46:47

So my ears seem to be clogged up. I cant really use a q-tip cause your not supposed to stick them into your ear. Its making it so I cant hear very good out of that ear (yeah i know its gross). Any ideas how to clean it out really well?

J4320

29-10-2006 10:55:02

Wow dude...

Just be a man and use a q-tip lol. ;)

You'll be fine if you don't touch your tympanic membrane, and that's really far down. Look at this diagram ---

http//www.cap.nsw.edu.au/bb_site_intro/stage1_Modules/Senses/eardrum.gif[" alt=""/img80e99f4356]

Q-Tips are fine if you don't stick them in too far. If you really have a bad wax problem, there's this product that you stick in your ear and you burn the other end of it and it kills your wax or something.

theysayjump

29-10-2006 10:57:40

I use a nail file (very carefully).

When I was about 17, I had a night job cleaning a shop and I'd go in and clean up and then watch TV for a few hours. Out of curiosity one night, I bent a paper clip into a point and tried to see how much earwax I could get out. It was a shitload, seriously. Not like a few flakes, this was full-on black, dark orange shit and it was in clumps and balls.

Since then I moved onto nail files and they get quite a lot out. I know it's dangerous, but I know what I'm doing and I know how far in I can stick them. Q-tips never worked for me, they just push it farther back in.

There's also Peroxide, Olive Oil or Vinegar. Peroxide works for me and it can sometimes get a lot out, but be prepared for a really weird feeling and it getting really itchy.

Dr. Doom

29-10-2006 11:03:25

I've heard your doctor can get it all out with some kind of pump. There's a big popping sound and suddenly you start to hear very well (Artie Lange mentioned this on the Howard Stern Show).

mnx12

29-10-2006 11:05:45

[quote6aead33c3f="Dr. Doom"]I've heard your doctor can get it all out with some kind of pump. There's a big popping sound and suddenly you start to hear very well (Artie Lange mentioned this on the Howard Stern Show).[/quote6aead33c3f]Wow. That sounds cool. And what would I do with peroxide?

ilanbg

29-10-2006 11:18:41

You would pour it in your ear.

People don't seem to realize that ear wax serves a purpose, though; it keeps out infectious things in the air and prevents hearing loss. It's not that good to completely clean out your ears, or to do so often.

theysayjump

29-10-2006 11:20:28

[quote0e39d5e12e="ilanbg"]You would pour it in your ear.

People don't seem to realize that ear wax serves a purpose, though; it keeps out infectious things in the air and prevents hearing loss. It's not that good to completely clean out your ears, or to do so often.[/quote0e39d5e12e]

^^^

Also, as for Peroxide, I just have my wife fill the cap of the bottle and then drop maybe 3 drops into my ear. It'll fizz like a bitch and bubbles will start coming out of your ear, so have some tissue ready to mop it up.

guelah75

29-10-2006 13:04:36

use one of those ear candles, they work great

VrExe

29-10-2006 13:38:21

You could try a vacuum. The trick is to use Q-tip after you shower. After shower, the water wets the earwax and easily removed by Q-tip.

CollidgeGraduit

29-10-2006 13:39:18

[quote0be5e49d10="VrExe"]You could try a vacuum. The trick is to use Q-tip after you shower. After shower, the water wets the earwax and easily removed by Q-tip.[/quote0be5e49d10]

Yeah, I have a huge earwax problem.. the best way I've found to control it is to end my shower with the hottest water I can handle, then use a Q-tip right away.

double_d

29-10-2006 13:40:57

[quote304a79edbf="guelah75"]use one of those ear candles, they work great[/quote304a79edbf]

No thanks.

http//www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html

mikedb

29-10-2006 13:41:37

There are commercial products on the market.

I have seen my brother using one, but I really didn't explore it further.

Mike

CollidgeGraduit

29-10-2006 13:42:50

[quoted2836f6cd5="double_d"][quoted2836f6cd5="guelah75"]use one of those ear candles, they work great[/quoted2836f6cd5]

No thanks.

http//www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html[/quoted2836f6cd5]

I wouldn't necessarily count it out because of what a website says. My wife has her undergrad degree in Speech Pathology & Audiology, and her audiology profs always suggested ear candles over alternative methods.

ilanbg

29-10-2006 14:32:40

An easy way to limit ear wax production is to stop listening to music so loudly.

If you want to test this theory, check this out clean out your ears real good, then put on a pair of earphones and listen to your music as you normally would for about an hour. Your ears will now be as ear-wax-full as they were before, I bet.

Commander

29-10-2006 14:59:05

WHAT A SUBJECT LOL.

I use the head of a pin (the really thin ones) you can push them all the way in and it has like a lip at the end so it digs it all out.

If that fails, use the reel from a clipper lighter, take a pen apart and use the part that holds the ink.

Or a sensible option, heat some olive oil up, and pour it in with a syringe )

J4320

29-10-2006 17:14:47

^ Wtf is with your avatar? roll

mnx12

29-10-2006 20:55:02

I ended up using peroxide. It helped, but I am thinking the reason that ear is barely getting any sound is because of my cold that i have had for 2 weeks. I think it's time to get to a doctor...

h3x

29-10-2006 21:00:45

I used to clean my ears on a daily basis, but then I got a really bad ear infection. That probably explains what ilan said about the purpose of ear wax.

burritopunk

29-10-2006 21:05:50

If you go to a health food store (yeah, weird place for this i know) you can get something called an ear candle. its this cone-like thing that put in your ear just a little bit, and light one end. about five minutes later, it goes out. it basically sucks out the moisture and gunk...my sister has used one before, it was pretty cool actually.

theysayjump

29-10-2006 21:11:16

[quote3bc18f8627="burritopunk"]If you go to a health food store (yeah, weird place for this i know) you can get something called an ear candle. its this cone-like thing that put in your ear just a little bit, and light one end. about five minutes later, it goes out. it basically sucks out the moisture and gunk...my sister has used one before, it was pretty cool actually.[/quote3bc18f8627]

[quote3bc18f8627="CollidgeGraduit"][quote3bc18f8627="double_d"][quote3bc18f8627="guelah75"]use one of those ear candles, they work great[/quote3bc18f8627]

No thanks.

http//www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html[/quote3bc18f8627]

I wouldn't necessarily count it out because of what a website says. My wife has her undergrad degree in Speech Pathology & Audiology, and her audiology profs always suggested ear candles over alternative methods.[/quote3bc18f8627]

wink

JennyWren

30-10-2006 07:49:55

[quoteafeaa2f5a6="mnx12"]I ended up using peroxide. It helped, but I am thinking the reason that ear is barely getting any sound is because of my cold that i have had for 2 weeks. I think it's time to get to a doctor...[/quoteafeaa2f5a6]

Yeah, sounds like your problem is more of a sinus congestion (on the inside) than wax buildup. That being said, I had a bad cold and stuffed up ears once and I did get buildup on the outside, so I went to the doctor who flushed them out with warm water and TONS of gunk came out.

Advice DO NOT DO THIS BEFORE SOMETHING LOUD. I did it before orchestra rehearsal. That year I was sitting in front of the loudest trombone player I have ever heard, so let me tell you this was pretty frickin' loud. Although, I have to say that walking through crispy leaves sounded awesome.

I'd try a decongestant first, then if you still have trouble see your doctor. DON'T STICK SHARP STUFF IN YOUR EARS. That's just asking for trouble. You only have one pair. All it takes is bumping your elbow against something while doing this and you damage your eardrum.

Stroid

30-10-2006 08:56:54

Like Jenny said you go to the doctor or you can do it yourself. You get some water and some peroxide. You get a plastic needle that you can fill with water and has a long narrow curved tip( you can buy them at the pharmacy) you mix a little peroxide and water and flush out your ear have a catch can under your ear you must have someone hold it there. Keep filling up the needle and keep flushing eventually a big clump of shit will come out. I would probably just got to the doctor and do it since they can actually see inside your ear with that little thing they have. But yeah thats how they do it.

mnx12

30-10-2006 09:17:09

Whats decongestant stuff?

CollidgeGraduit

30-10-2006 09:24:44

[quotef96567b68e="mnx12"]Whats decongestant stuff?[/quotef96567b68e]

Decongestant is a medicine that clears head congestion.........

egyptianruin

30-10-2006 09:26:53

I lay my head on a towel over a pillow and put peroxide in my ear for about 15 minutes. Then clean them, also take Mucinex it breaks up congestion. Dont take an expectorant it will just make it worse.

doylnea

30-10-2006 09:32:48

I'm grossed out, and strangely interested. ER, how much stuff comes out the first time? I've read 5 minutes is enough time to loosen it up - but you go a full 15 minutes with peroxide?

egyptianruin

30-10-2006 09:36:52

[quote7b6e246eb8="doylnea"]I'm grossed out, and strangely interested. ER, how much stuff comes out the first time? I've read 5 minutes is enough time to loosen it up - but you go a full 15 minutes with peroxide?[/quote7b6e246eb8]

Yep 15 minutes, its kinda weird at first the fizziness. My ears are usually clean but I HATE wax HATE IT! So I go the full 15 minutes. My husbands ears however, when he does it (for 15 minutes too each ear) pulls out all kinds of stuff, its kinda gross to look at but then again it's relieving. The first time I did mine (he made me do it) was the best time, lol.

Tholek

30-10-2006 13:57:04

[quote3aa594cdc3="theysayjump"][quote3aa594cdc3="burritopunk"]If you go to a health food store (yeah, weird place for this i know) you can get something called an ear candle. its this cone-like thing that put in your ear just a little bit, and light one end. about five minutes later, it goes out. it basically sucks out the moisture and gunk...my sister has used one before, it was pretty cool actually.[/quote3aa594cdc3]

[quote3aa594cdc3="CollidgeGraduit"][quote3aa594cdc3="double_d"][quote3aa594cdc3="guelah75"]use one of those ear candles, they work great[/quote3aa594cdc3]

No thanks.

http//www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html[/quote3aa594cdc3]

I wouldn't necessarily count it out because of what a website says. My wife has her undergrad degree in Speech Pathology & Audiology, and her audiology profs always suggested ear candles over alternative methods.[/quote3aa594cdc3]

wink[/quote3aa594cdc3]

Yeah, these were debunked a long time ago. Every couple of years some TV report shows it. Just buy two, use one, and light the other by itself. You get the same amount of "wax" wicking up out of the paper.

As for cleaning, I do it regularly. Aside from the disgusting idea of the stuff building up, the risk of not getting into the routine of cleaning, and then forgetting to do it until it's too late, isn't worth it.

Cleaning deeply is something I just don't advise to everyone. You really have to be careful and work with a feather touch. I've brushed the tympanic membrane without incident, but the risk of hitting or puncturing it with an unsteady hand is real.