What can I do about work?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=47639

mnx12

25-10-2006 21:17:46

So I have been working there since the beginning of September, my current schedule is 600am-300pm. Thats 42.5 hours a week. I'm really not a morning person at all, and getting up that early is making me sick, and too tired to do anything active like go out with friends or anything. Ive tried to ask my manager twice to change my schedule, and she says I cant change it until the beginning of September, 90 days. I keep getting warned by them that I am coming in late every day, and that can't continue. Well if you won't let me change my schedule, what am I supposed to do?? I don't want to quit, cause it's really not that bad a job, with the holidays coming up and I am trying to pay a bunch of debts off, I just can't handle the hours. Any suggestions what I should do??

johnjimjones

25-10-2006 21:21:44

you've been working where?

mnx12

25-10-2006 21:22:30

Gateway/eMachines phone technical/customer support

kidd2108

25-10-2006 21:26:21

do you go to school? what do you do after 300pm?

justinag06

25-10-2006 22:27:17

I'd say you have to ride the ship out on this one, instead of showing up 5 minutes late to work every day, show up 5 minutes early.

90 days isn't that long really, just count the days off one by one, and then cut loose on the weekends. Before you know it you will have made a good impression on your employer and maybe they will give you different hours.

What you can do is look for a different job in your spare time, maybe you can find one that offers you the hours you seek.

jy3

25-10-2006 23:32:17

i agree with justin. lemme tell ya, and i am not trying to minimize your problem, but try working 80-90 hr weeks.

h3x

25-10-2006 23:39:02

I know how you feel mnx12... I work as a Night Auditor (12 am - 8 am) and they keep fucking around with my schedule, calling me on the same day I get off from work asking to come back in to work... I work tonight at midnight - 8, then 4pm to midnight the same day [that's not even 8 hours sleep]... They are just using me like a mule.

Funny story (or not so funny), one of the co-workers decides they can't come in one day because they have a hangover from last night (she went drinking with the other co-workers)... They immediately called me in to work to take over her shift and the manager is clearly aware it's from a hangover because she was drinking with her.

It's not about the hours... The more for me, the more money I make... It's just they fuck around with my sleep routine so much that I'm always fatigue. I can only recall ONE incident where they had a co-worker take someone's shift... and I've been there for over 3 months already. There was a time, I didn't even get paid OT (4 hours just to come in and talk to some service rep on the phone for that length of time... I asked them what that was about and they gave me some bullshit excuse why it wasn't considered overtime [it was a 93+ hour pay cycle]).

I'm actually in the process of finding another job.. Turned in an application a few days ago and they stop accepting apps in a couple of days. I really want the job too...

CollidgeGraduit

26-10-2006 03:00:46

I would say just suck it up, and work that shift until they can change your hours for you. Being a big company, I imagine they figured out how many people they need working at different times of the day, so your request might require some juggling on their end.

Showing up late definitely won't encourage them to be anxious to help you out.

mnx12

26-10-2006 06:08:27

Its not like I purposely show up late, its that I cant get up. No normal person should wake up before 9am...

CougarKid

26-10-2006 06:14:32

Amen to that, I'm up at 545 and I'm hating every second of it. I'm always tired, always easily annoyed, but I am going to suck it up until I get my car and I can get a job closer to home.

DCoop

26-10-2006 06:37:14

[quotec5722ea225="mnx12"]Its not like I purposely show up late, its that I cant get up.[/quotec5722ea225]

It may sound harsh with everyone saying suck it up, but I'd have to agree. If you're always 5 minutes late, leave 5 minutes earlier. If you need to wake up 5 minutes earlier, go to bed 5 minutes earlier. It's not like there is any difference between sleeping from 1030-450am or 1035-455am
I used to work the same shift at EDS, and I am most definitely NOT a morning person... but I never understood the excuse.
Now, if you take public transit and the schedules don't jive at that time in the morning (which around here is usually the case) then that's fine, otherwise 5 extra minutes really shouldn't be an issue.
h3x sounds like he has it much worse than you, at least your schedule is consistent.

CollidgeGraduit

26-10-2006 06:56:55

[quote0de0d6cefb="mnx12"]Its not like I purposely show up late, its that I cant get up. No normal person should wake up before 9am...[/quote0de0d6cefb]

I start work at 700am every day, and I make sure I'm at my desk no later than 650, and ready to work at 700. Go to bed earlier if you have to, set your alarm earlier.

It's not that hard to be responsible and dependable, and be ready to work on time. I'm sure it sounds harsh, but unless you want to work at a grocery store or fast food, you need to learn to show up on time and be ready to work.

Fugger

26-10-2006 08:46:58

If you can't get up early enough then you don't get to keep the job. It's really that simple. There are plenty of people out there who would love to have a job and not be a drain on society. But even if you did take a job working at a grocery store or fast food place, make sure it isn't a national chain because you'll still get penalized. If you want true flexibility.... Be homeless.

mnx12

26-10-2006 08:51:08

[quote9f200f9df7="Fugger"]If you want true flexibility.... Be homeless.[/quote9f200f9df7]Well I will never be homeless, but money and jobs are really overrated. They really arent needed...

doylnea

26-10-2006 08:52:02

Hey jerks, to mnx's credit, he's online all hours of the night. He shouldn't be expected to curtail his internet use so he's available for work in the mornings.

CollidgeGraduit

26-10-2006 08:52:37

[quotecd4ccc5a11="mnx12"][quotecd4ccc5a11="Fugger"]If you want true flexibility.... Be homeless.[/quotecd4ccc5a11]Well I will never be homeless, but money and jobs are really overrated. They really arent needed...[/quotecd4ccc5a11]

That's true, as long as the rest of us are responsible and go to work, you'll be able to live off our tax dollars.

doylnea

26-10-2006 08:52:38

[quote26ea50988d="mnx12"][quote26ea50988d="Fugger"]If you want true flexibility.... Be homeless.[/quote26ea50988d]Well I will never be homeless, but money and jobs are really overrated. They really arent needed...[/quote26ea50988d]

roll says the guy with apparent support from his parents or a trust fund.

Fugger

26-10-2006 09:36:25

I do agree. Money and job is both over rated. But you know what isn't over rated? Living on your own, going to school, and growing up. So if you want to be a dirty hippie loaner... Go for it. But you'll eventually find it's time to step up into the real world. If you want to be a drifter and just bum off friends and family members for the rest of your life (to avoid the previously mentioned over rated money and job issue) that is one way to live indoors and not have a job.

Veek

26-10-2006 09:53:51

Get over it.

People who work two jobs and still go to school would slap the hell out of you.

good2speed

26-10-2006 11:47:54

ya dude your 18 you shouldnt be tired ever. Waking up to be at work by 6 sucks but hey you chose the job and agreed to the hours. If it was a problem you shouldve discussed it with your manager before starting to work there.

My advice to you. Try some coffee.

Powerbook

26-10-2006 11:56:58

I get up at 530 am everyday because of my parents' crazy schedule.... Suck it up.... If you don't like it go back to school and get a better job or just quit.

tylerc

26-10-2006 12:03:57

Did you drop out of high school or something?

Powerbook

26-10-2006 12:08:22

[quote8c05073d3f="tylerc"]Did you drop out of high school or something?[/quote8c05073d3f]

lol that was what I was hinting at. If so, he should go back to school. Once people drop out of school or finish high school they realize college or some type of work force prep program is necessary to get anywhere in life. I hate getting up early every morning, but I do it because I have to.

Gigante

29-11-2006 13:50:58

uhh... i get up earlier than you and I don't have to. Just condition yourself to sleep less. Less is more.

mnx12

29-11-2006 14:30:17

I don't know why you revived such an old thread, but my 90 days is on the 11th and I can change my schedule. I sucked it up, but that's only because I wanted to. And in no way are my parents able to support me, they are barely able to support themselves. There is this one book my cousin showed me that pretty much shows you how you can have an income without having a job, it's an anarchy book. Pretty cool.

zr2152

29-11-2006 14:31:41

[quote24194b9e51="Gigante"]uhh... i get up earlier than you and I don't have to. Just condition yourself to sleep less. Less is more.[/quote24194b9e51]

it actually is all about conditioning yourself. Im in the process of doing just that. I usually get about 6-7 hours a sleep during the weekdays and am in the process of training myself to only get 5.5 hours-but its not going too well

Although coffee always helps me get through my day

tylerc

29-11-2006 14:34:12

You are still in high school I assume, so when do you go to school? Or did you drop out?

TigerShark

29-11-2006 15:03:47

[quotee2a2dbde09="mnx12"]I don't know why you revived such an old thread, but my 90 days is on the 11th and I can change my schedule. I sucked it up, but that's only because I wanted to. And in no way are my parents able to support me, they are barely able to support themselves. There is this one book my cousin showed me that pretty much shows you how you can have an income without having a job, it's an anarchy book. Pretty cool.[/quotee2a2dbde09]

Anarchists Cook Book by any chance?!? twisted

mnx12

29-11-2006 15:11:33

No, it's not the cookbook, it's entirely devoted to simply not working. And I did drop out, but I only have to take one test, not the ged, and I will get my diploma. I dropped out cause I wasn't learning anything and I felt like I was wasting my time.

EatChex89

29-11-2006 15:34:54

do you work from home or do you go to a building/call center?

mnx12

29-11-2006 16:41:03

Call center.

Dave82

29-11-2006 23:21:39

[quotee29f9c8d01="mnx12"]And I did drop out, but I only have to take one test, not the ged, and I will get my diploma. I dropped out cause I wasn't learning anything and I felt like I was wasting my time.[/quotee29f9c8d01]

[be29f9c8d01]take the test.[/be29f9c8d01] even if you do not want to go to college. i think you'll be able to get better jobs if you have a diploma.

College is not for everyone, but if money is the reason for not going, there are many options in that area that might allow you to go. (loans, scholarships, financial aid, work/study programs, army..... or the old "work three jobs in june/july/august/december" program).

If you plan on going, just not right away, think carefully about that decision. It gets harder to fit school and studying into your schedule when you are married, have kids, etc.

Hope things work out!!

Allen626

29-11-2006 23:39:31

You are going to fall back on a "anarchist" book to make money? Sounds like a great idea. You don't even have a high school degree. Maybe you should get that before you start posting on the internet?

I mean seriously. Get your GED or take whatever test you are talking about and get something that will make your life not just going to a call center everyday. I know I would love to pick up phones for the rest of my life. I mean in all reality it does not matter what your job is as long as your are still a intellectual at heart, but do you not put even that much faith in your public education system? Community college may be shit but it is better then nothing and it will lead to a university if you know what you are doing. Sounds like you need to goto scholarship websites IMO.

Dave82

29-11-2006 23:49:29

[quotef4877d3d09="Allen626"]You are going to fall back on a "anarchist" book to make money? Sounds like a great idea. You don't even have a high school degree. Maybe you should get that before you start posting on the internet?

I mean seriously. Get your GED or take whatever test you are talking about and get something that will make your life not just going to a call center everyday. I know I would love to pick up phones for the rest of my life. I mean in all reality it does not matter what your job is as long as your are still a intellectual at heart, but do you not put even that much faith in your public education system? Community college may be shit but it is better then nothing and it will lead to a university if you know what you are doing. Sounds like you need to goto scholarship websites IMO.[/quotef4877d3d09]

gotta love the direct approach.