Anyone else applying to college this fall?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=47418

Powerbook

21-10-2006 10:31:19

Yup, it's that time of the year. I am personally stressed out. My SAT's suck, but my grades are great. For these top schools my SAT scores don't fit the cut. So I have decided to give the ACT a go, and sign up to some high caliber SAT optional schools. Hope it all works out. Oh yeah, my history teacher is being gay and is not done my recommendation yet. It needs to be be at a couple schools by November 1st in time for early action. I am currently writing my essay as we speak. How about you guys, anyone else going through this stressful process?

Psyc

21-10-2006 10:56:06

/me raises hand.

I'm scared that my SAT is going to be the determining factor of being rejected. My GPA is nice, grades are great, and -if I remember correctly- I'm #4 in the class. I do the whole extracurricular thing too. Soccer, Quiz Bowl, National Honor Society. I just feel like I'm going to be rejected by my top choice. North Carolina State University. I just suck at taking big tests that you don't really know what's going to be on them.

JKirk

21-10-2006 11:06:23

What colleges you guys applying to? Just curious.

nobody2000

21-10-2006 11:07:35

dude....choices of schools are shit....a Harvard grad vs. a State school grad is nothing. When it comes down to it, it's one minor factor.

High school kids are so caught up in "what school will accept me?" Go to a school where you'll be more than just one number in 10,000, go to a school that has the cirriculums and clubs you want. I know a lot of private schools that suck way worse than state schools.

If you suck at taking standardized tests, so do a lot of ppl. It's not the end of the world, but seriously...don't get caught up in prestige.

Not that you are caught up in prestige, but consider a plethora of schools. You may find that the small 1000 full time student school in rural NYS (my school) is for you. You may also find that yes, that 10,000 student school is for you.

Analyze the schools that are gonna help you find out who you are.
Analyze the schools that will prepare you for life.
Analyze the schools that give you great options to prepare for your future. Some schools are so smug and shit that they have no real world preparation (internship programs, connections) that their students are like deer in headlights when they graduate. This is a huge selection and don't get caught up in one school.

maybe you've done all this, which is great, and I know it's all somewhat impertanant, but so many H.S. seniors are caught up in going to the most presigious school that they forget that smaller schools have way more to offer in a lot of cases.

And SAT will not be the determining factor if your grades are pretty good. Also, your college essay, and extracirriculars will get you what you want.

Good luck.

Powerbook

21-10-2006 11:08:51

[quoted9ab398fe7="Psyc"]/me raises hand.

I'm scared that my SAT is going to be the determining factor of being rejected. My GPA is nice, grades are great, and -if I remember correctly- I'm #4 in the class. I do the whole extracurricular thing too. Soccer, Quiz Bowl, National Honor Society. I just feel like I'm going to be rejected by my top choice. North Carolina State University. I just suck at taking big tests that you don't really know what's going to be on them.[/quoted9ab398fe7]

Same with me, except I am ranked top 16% and have a ton of community service and crap. I am the Future Business Leaders of America President at my local chapter, President of the National History Club at my school, member of the Math Team, Band, Beta Club, National Honors Society, Radio freshmen year, and Track and Field. I have like 1000+ community service hours for my church. I hope all that helps. But, the reality is SAT scores and ACT's count a lot. That's why I am applying to some high status colleges without testing requirements ). I am going to give the ACT a go, hope it works out much better than the SAT. A 30+ would be very nice. ( But, yeah good luck to you. My top choices are Notre Dame, Boston College, Bowdoin, Tufts, Amherst, and Wesleyan. Good part is Bowdoin is SAT/ACT optional. I got a couple safties too but I am not a big fan of a school with 20,000 people. My cutoff is like 12,000 lol. Anyone take the ACT's and the SAT's? I wanna see how they stack up.

EDIT Thanks heh. Yeah i know that is why I do not like state schools. It is as if you are a number there, with no identity. My schools that I picked are all schools I love because of their identity, diversity, size, or majors. I didn't pick any schools because of the name. That's basically why I did not pick any ivy league schools.

JKirk

21-10-2006 11:13:26

Notre Dame is pretty hard to get into in my opinion. But yeah, I took the SAT last weekend so I should get my scores the 8th of November and I'm taking the ACT the next session it's available. (I think it's a week or two away) Is that when you are taking it?

Powerbook

21-10-2006 11:17:15

[quotebc0ebfd1fc="JKirk"]Notre Dame is pretty hard to get into in my opinion. But yeah, I took the SAT last weekend so I should get my scores the 8th of November and I'm taking the ACT the next session it's available. (I think it's a week or two away) Is that when you are taking it?[/quotebc0ebfd1fc]

Yup. ) I also took the October SAT. Scores are going to come out earlier now. They changed the availability of the scores to November 2. Anyways, yeah ND is tough. I love that place though. I most likely won't get in, but I refuse to give in to these damn tests. I will get the best of them in some way.

JKirk

21-10-2006 11:23:29

[quote023c90ff19="Powerbook"][quote023c90ff19="JKirk"]Notre Dame is pretty hard to get into in my opinion. But yeah, I took the SAT last weekend so I should get my scores the 8th of November and I'm taking the ACT the next session it's available. (I think it's a week or two away) Is that when you are taking it?[/quote023c90ff19]

Yup. ) I also took the October SAT. Scores are going to come out earlier now. They changed the availability of the scores to November 2. Anyways, yeah ND is tough. I love that place though. I most likely won't get in, but I refuse to give in to these damn tests. I will get the best of them in some way.[/quote023c90ff19]

That's cool. What'd you think of them? I thought the essay was pretty easy and the math was also but the English sections killed me especially with those boring passages. You ever thought of applying to University of Kentucky? That's going to be the main one I'm shooting for. 8)

Powerbook

21-10-2006 11:26:40

[quotec5c14a04e8="JKirk"][quotec5c14a04e8="Powerbook"][quotec5c14a04e8="JKirk"]Notre Dame is pretty hard to get into in my opinion. But yeah, I took the SAT last weekend so I should get my scores the 8th of November and I'm taking the ACT the next session it's available. (I think it's a week or two away) Is that when you are taking it?[/quotec5c14a04e8]

Yup. ) I also took the October SAT. Scores are going to come out earlier now. They changed the availability of the scores to November 2. Anyways, yeah ND is tough. I love that place though. I most likely won't get in, but I refuse to give in to these damn tests. I will get the best of them in some way.[/quotec5c14a04e8]

That's cool. What'd you think of them? I thought the essay was pretty easy and the math was also but the English sections killed me especially with those boring passages. You ever thought of applying to University of Kentucky? That's going to be the main one I'm shooting for. 8)[/quotec5c14a04e8]

Na, I haven't heh. Connecticut and Kentucky are quite far away. ND is pretty damn far away from CT, but I love it so much heh. Personally, I thought everything was good except the Math. I had 4 math sections and one of them was deadly to me. I had 6 blanks just on one. I hope that is the experimental one that won't count for my score. Oh well.

JKirk

21-10-2006 11:28:25

[quote06d26b3a89="Powerbook"][quote06d26b3a89="JKirk"][quote06d26b3a89="Powerbook"][quote06d26b3a89="JKirk"]Notre Dame is pretty hard to get into in my opinion. But yeah, I took the SAT last weekend so I should get my scores the 8th of November and I'm taking the ACT the next session it's available. (I think it's a week or two away) Is that when you are taking it?[/quote06d26b3a89]

Yup. ) I also took the October SAT. Scores are going to come out earlier now. They changed the availability of the scores to November 2. Anyways, yeah ND is tough. I love that place though. I most likely won't get in, but I refuse to give in to these damn tests. I will get the best of them in some way.[/quote06d26b3a89]

That's cool. What'd you think of them? I thought the essay was pretty easy and the math was also but the English sections killed me especially with those boring passages. You ever thought of applying to University of Kentucky? That's going to be the main one I'm shooting for. 8)[/quote06d26b3a89]

Na, I haven't heh. Connecticut and Kentucky are quite far away. ND is pretty damn far away from CT, but I love it so much heh. Personally, I thought everything was good except the Math. I had 4 math sections and one of them was deadly to me. I had 6 blanks just on one. I hope that is the experimental one that won't count for my score. Oh well.[/quote06d26b3a89]

Seriously? You are the first person I've really talked to that's ever said the English part was easier than the math. lol But yeah, there were some hard ones at that math section. You can see the math sections that won't count if you log into CollegeBoard.

Powerbook

21-10-2006 11:32:03

heh yeah. I didn't think the English sections were too bad. Usually I think the math was easy. Oh well. Crap. I don't remember whether i had a math section right after the essay or if I had it third. Hmmm

OldManWrigley

21-10-2006 12:42:07

[quote4add12c580="Psyc"]/me raises hand.

I'm scared that my SAT is going to be the determining factor of being rejected. My GPA is nice, grades are great, and -if I remember correctly- I'm #4 in the class. I do the whole extracurricular thing too. Soccer, Quiz Bowl, National Honor Society. I just feel like I'm going to be rejected by my top choice. North Carolina State University. I just suck at taking big tests that you don't really know what's going to be on them.[/quote4add12c580]

Number four in your class? Wow, good for you.

I haven't taken the SAT or the ACT yet, and it's really pissing me off. I was signed up to take the ACT in the spring, but a family thing came up so I was unable to attend.....

I'm thinking of applying to Southern New Hampshire University, Saint A's College, or possible University Of Tennessee.....

Or maybe all three

bruman

21-10-2006 12:49:47

I just went to Community College, which i'm in right now. You don't need to worry about all that ACT stuff or anything really. I didn't even take my ACT/SAT. I'm gonna get my Associates Degree at this college, and thats also transferrabe. Just need to stay above 2.5 GPA and I can transfer to a lot of big universities. It's also a lot cheaper and gives you more time if you aren't ready to leave home right after high school.

burritopunk

21-10-2006 13:13:35

Man, I got a 1070 on my SAT (before it was revised) which wasn't that great and ended up going to a state school, then transferred to the most populous school in VA (Virginia Commonwealth University). When I get my degree, I'm hopefully going to NYU for a masters in music business. Best of luck to all of you, but in the long run, it's not the school you go to, but rather what you do there. For me, Undergrad school is a stepping stone in a graduate program. Just some insight.

Psyc

21-10-2006 16:22:14

Ok, does anyone know anything about tax jargon?

I'm finishing up one of my applications and I have to put in our "Annual gross household income." I'm looking at my mom's yearly reports and it has two "incomes."

Which is the one I'm supposed to put in? "Total Income" or "Adjusted Gross Income?"

tylerc

21-10-2006 22:10:23

I have applied to Marquette, Indiana (already been accepted), Virginia, and Michigan. I won't find out about Marquette, Virginia, and Michigan until early 2007.

johnjimjones

21-10-2006 22:30:33

idnana sucks, so therefore if you go the there i have to hate you

tylerc

21-10-2006 22:49:14

[quoted9edd719c3="johnjimjones"]idnana sucks[/quoted9edd719c3]

Typical spelling ability of a Purdue student.

I don't want to be an engineer, or go into management. I want to go into accounting.

Indiana's business school is #10 in the nation, and the 3rd best public business school, behind Virginia and Michigan.

Where's Kranert (Purdue's b-school)? Oh yeah, not top 10, or 25, or 30, they are #38.

gg.

OldManWrigley

21-10-2006 22:51:53

I'm thinking of majoring in account also )

Maybe i'll apply there too, imagine if we ended up in the same college

oops hahahahaha

tylerc

21-10-2006 22:54:41

There are 38,000 students at IU.

Trust me, if you don't want to see someone there, you don't have to.

JKirk

22-10-2006 07:42:15

[quotef2fe5fd314="OldManWrigley"]I'm thinking of majoring in account also )

Maybe i'll apply there too, imagine if we ended up in the same college
[/quotef2fe5fd314]

LOLOL OMFG!!! DAT WOULD BE BIZARRE!!!!! But seriously, Tyler, I'd go to Michigan. 8)

GiftMonsterKyle

22-10-2006 11:33:45

I am. Got a 1740 SAT which is pretty average but good enough to get me into a decent school. Also have a weighted GPA avg of 4.01 and an unweighted 3.5. I plan on applying to Towson University and Salisbury University, 2 Maryland state schools.

and fortunately, I'm majoring in accounting where most of the great private schools won't do me any better than the two state schools I'm considering.

I know a bunch of people who are killing themselves to try to get into a top quality school, and I can't help but laugh sometimes.

johnjimjones

22-10-2006 11:58:02

[quotea61f47d714="tylerc"][quotea61f47d714="johnjimjones"]idnana sucks[/quotea61f47d714]

Typical spelling ability of a Purdue student.

I don't want to be an engineer, or go into management. I want to go into accounting.

Indiana's business school is #10 in the nation, and the 3rd best public business school, behind Virginia and Michigan.

Where's Kranert (Purdue's b-school)? Oh yeah, not top 10, or 25, or 30, they are #38.

gg.[/quotea61f47d714]

lol whatever, it's not like I'm a damn recruiter for the school, big deal. roll

Gigante

22-10-2006 23:10:02

who needs college anyway?

Powerbook

23-10-2006 03:30:41

I just finished my second draft of the college essay. Draft number 3 will be coming today. I will update you guys as November 1st comes close. ) I am applying to like 4-5 schools by that deadline.

tylerc

23-10-2006 04:16:29

Man, 3 drafts? I just wrote the essay and submitted it.

shortys408

23-10-2006 06:36:08

college is fun.

unknown uchiha

23-10-2006 06:48:11

College sucks. Mark this as "Allnighter #3" in the past two weeks. FUCK.

GiftMonsterKyle

23-10-2006 07:15:02

[quote8e8e842e49="tylerc"]Man, 3 drafts? I just wrote the essay and submitted it.[/quote8e8e842e49]

haha, will be doing the same here.

egyptianruin

23-10-2006 07:18:49

I applied for my phD in Art History at JHU, lol - does that count?

Daggoth

23-10-2006 08:11:17

Just out curiousity, what kind of jobs are available for people who have major/have a phD in Art History?

egyptianruin

23-10-2006 08:14:45

[quotec2aacd18b6="Daggoth"]Just out curiousity, what kind of jobs are available for people who have major/have a phD in Art History?[/quotec2aacd18b6]

Retail sales, lol. But really, professor, museum work, curator, etc. I want to get into the museum industry - more importantly the field of preservation - like working for the NPS.

shortys408

23-10-2006 10:51:43

join a fraternity

Gigante

23-10-2006 12:45:49

nah, just sleep @ the sorority. frats are overrated.

manOFice

23-10-2006 12:48:05

[quote91b12eeea8="Gigante"]nah, just sleep @ the sorority. frats are overrated.[/quote91b12eeea8]

I can say with 100% confidence I would have had like 10 friends If I didn't join my fraternity....i gained ALOT of friends and got in with the girls real good ;)

Powerbook

23-10-2006 13:41:18

Essay all done! If anyone wants to read it, just pm me. Hope it turned out pretty good. )

toiletpaper55

23-10-2006 15:00:49

im applying to colleges tis fall but idk if i can get into michigan....which is where i want to go

i got a 1410 sat score on the old janks (1st 2 sections) and a 1980 with all 3(yeah my writing sucks) and my gpa is like a 3.42 unweighted and 4.17 weighted only thing is, i cant get reccomendations and my essays will prob suck

extracorriculars are like varsity cross country, varsity wrestling and a couple of clubs

im applying to maryland, umbc, michigan-when i get the time to write all the essays....and maybe like illinois and vt

but i have no clue where to apply for business, any suggestions (realistic to my stat)? i like bigger schools....

tylerc

23-10-2006 15:21:43

Indiana University-Bloomington is the 10th best business school in the country, and the 3rd best public school. With your SAT scores you would be a shoo-in and probably get some scholarships too.

Gigante

23-10-2006 18:21:31

[quote6b53b4b966="toiletpaper55"]im applying to colleges tis fall but idk if i can get into michigan....which is where i want to go

i got a 1410 sat score on the old janks (1st 2 sections) and a 1980 with all 3(yeah my writing sucks) and my gpa is like a 3.42 unweighted and 4.17 weighted only thing is, i cant get reccomendations and my essays will prob suck

extracorriculars are like varsity cross country, varsity wrestling and a couple of clubs

im applying to maryland, umbc, michigan-when i get the time to write all the essays....and maybe like illinois and vt

but i have no clue where to apply for business, any suggestions (realistic to my stat)? i like bigger schools....[/quote6b53b4b966]

Come here to berkeley man. I am working on business too. #1 public school and #9 for business and climbing fast.

toiletpaper55

23-10-2006 18:24:34

[quotead8e714229="Gigante"][quotead8e714229="toiletpaper55"]im applying to colleges tis fall but idk if i can get into michigan....which is where i want to go

but i have no clue where to apply for business, any suggestions (realistic to my stat)? i like bigger schools....[/quotead8e714229]

Come here to berkeley man. I am working on business too. #1 public school and #9 for business and climbing fast.[/quotead8e714229]

haha, i wish, i wont get in-dont you need sat 2's? i dont have those

willr91

23-10-2006 18:37:04

[quotede41e8fc16="nobody2000"]dude....choices of schools are shit....a Harvard grad vs. a State school grad is nothing. When it comes down to it, it's one minor factor.
.[/quotede41e8fc16]
Are you serious? A Harvard Education will get you almost anywhere. If you consider a 200,000$ salary difference a "minor" difference, then yeah, I guess you're right. roll

Powerbook

24-10-2006 17:12:45

[quotee6e37a35f9="willr91"][quotee6e37a35f9="nobody2000"]dude....choices of schools are shit....a Harvard grad vs. a State school grad is nothing. When it comes down to it, it's one minor factor.
.[/quotee6e37a35f9]
Are you serious? A Harvard Education will get you almost anywhere. If you consider a 200,000$ salary difference a "minor" difference, then yeah, I guess you're right. roll[/quotee6e37a35f9]

I laughed! Of course a Harvard education makes a difference. Unfortunately, not many of us are that talented to get in.

JKirk

24-10-2006 17:14:04

[quote9ed12b37d1="Powerbook"][quote9ed12b37d1="willr91"][quote9ed12b37d1="nobody2000"]dude....choices of schools are shit....a Harvard grad vs. a State school grad is nothing. When it comes down to it, it's one minor factor.
.[/quote9ed12b37d1]
Are you serious? A Harvard Education will get you almost anywhere. If you consider a 200,000$ salary difference a "minor" difference, then yeah, I guess you're right. roll[/quote9ed12b37d1]

I laughed! Of course a Harvard education makes a difference. Unfortunately, not many of us are that talented to get in.[/quote9ed12b37d1]

Nor wealthy enough.

johnjimjones

24-10-2006 17:18:12

[quotee0e32440dd="JKirk"][quotee0e32440dd="Powerbook"][quotee0e32440dd="willr91"][quotee0e32440dd="nobody2000"]dude....choices of schools are shit....a Harvard grad vs. a State school grad is nothing. When it comes down to it, it's one minor factor.
.[/quotee0e32440dd]
Are you serious? A Harvard Education will get you almost anywhere. If you consider a 200,000$ salary difference a "minor" difference, then yeah, I guess you're right. roll[/quotee0e32440dd]

I laughed! Of course a Harvard education makes a difference. Unfortunately, not many of us are that talented to get in.[/quotee0e32440dd]

Nor wealthy enough.[/quotee0e32440dd]

Well that's necessarily required. They Ivy League school give very good financial aid.

Brok3n_Sword

24-10-2006 17:26:50

[quote9efca0e900="Psyc"]/me raises hand.

I'm scared that my SAT is going to be the determining factor of being rejected. My GPA is nice, grades are great, and -if I remember correctly- I'm #4 in the class. I do the whole extracurricular thing too. Soccer, Quiz Bowl, National Honor Society. I just feel like I'm going to be rejected by my top choice. North Carolina State University. I just suck at taking big tests that you don't really know what's going to be on them.[/quote9efca0e900]

Don't stress too much. I know plenty of people who got into NC State who had high gpa's, but didn't do spectacular on the SAT. I'm sure you'll get in. That's a nice campus too, I like it. )

Powerbook

24-10-2006 17:41:46

I hope my college essay turned out good. (

tylerc

24-10-2006 17:59:45

Chill man. I read an article in composition from a guy who read essays, and they aren't concerned about reading the perfect essay, they want to read about you as a person and they want you to let them in a little bit.

shortys408

25-10-2006 15:49:29

[quote582151b9de="manofice"][quote582151b9de="Gigante"]nah, just sleep @ the sorority. frats are overrated.[/quote582151b9de]

I can say with 100% confidence I would have had like 10 friends If I didn't join my fraternity....i gained ALOT of friends and got in with the girls real good ;)[/quote582151b9de]

which fraternity are you in?

Zanpaktou

25-10-2006 16:46:54

UF, FSU, UM, UCF..... basically most florida schools and ill probably end up applying to USC, ND (for hells sake, my best mate got a full ride there last year), and another....

I just got finished revising my MAIN essay, the others will branch of that one with some minor revisions....

Anyone else have parents constantly askign about college essays and applications, almost excessively?

I just retook the SAT oin OCT as well... my first score in april was about an 1170 or 1920 depending on the scale... my numbers may be a little off... im hoping to break the 1200 mark this time around, but those damn passages. there were so many! I wouldnt have minded having extra math sections, but of course I'm stuck with the trial reading passages..

Aurelius

25-10-2006 20:14:33

[quote6673ac3572="Gigante"][quote6673ac3572="toiletpaper55"]im applying to colleges tis fall but idk if i can get into michigan....which is where i want to go

but i have no clue where to apply for business, any suggestions (realistic to my stat)? i like bigger schools....[/quote6673ac3572]

Come here to berkeley man. I am working on business too. #1 public school and #9 for business and climbing fast.[/quote6673ac3572]

Man o man... I wish I could make it to Berkeley. I'll end up having somewhere around a 4.3-4.45 weighted GPA when all is said and done and probably around 2000+ for my SAT score but I go to a really crazy competitive school where almost everyone takes 4-5 AP classes senior year. Only thing that gives me hope is that stat that only 15% of people from my school (Lowell HS in San Francisco) get over 4.0. Did you do a lot of extracurriculars and such? I'm on track and some volunteering things but definately nothing like what everyone else is doing.

[quote6673ac3572="johnjimjones"][quote6673ac3572="JKirk"][quote6673ac3572="Powerbook"][quote6673ac3572="willr91"][quote6673ac3572="nobody2000"]dude....choices of schools are shit....a Harvard grad vs. a State school grad is nothing. When it comes down to it, it's one minor factor.
.[/quote6673ac3572]
Are you serious? A Harvard Education will get you almost anywhere. If you consider a 200,000$ salary difference a "minor" difference, then yeah, I guess you're right. roll[/quote6673ac3572]

I laughed! Of course a Harvard education makes a difference. Unfortunately, not many of us are that talented to get in.[/quote6673ac3572]

Nor wealthy enough.[/quote6673ac3572]

Well that's necessarily required. They Ivy League school give very good financial aid.[/quote6673ac3572]

most banks are really eager to give a someone accepted to harvard a loan too D

[quote6673ac3572="Zanpaktou"]UF, FSU, UM, UCF..... basically most florida schools and ill probably end up applying to USC, ND (for hells sake, my best mate got a full ride there last year), and another....

I just got finished revising my MAIN essay, the others will branch of that one with some minor revisions....

Anyone else have parents constantly askign about college essays and applications, almost excessively?

I just retook the SAT oin OCT as well... my first score in april was about an 1170 or 1920 depending on the scale... my numbers may be a little off... im hoping to break the 1200 mark this time around, but those damn passages. there were so many! I wouldnt have minded having extra math sections, but of course I'm stuck with the trial reading passages..[/quote6673ac3572]

a 26 year old taking the SAT's. heheh...

[quote6673ac3572="toiletpaper55"][quote6673ac3572="Gigante"][quote6673ac3572="toiletpaper55"]im applying to colleges tis fall but idk if i can get into michigan....which is where i want to go

but i have no clue where to apply for business, any suggestions (realistic to my stat)? i like bigger schools....[/quote6673ac3572]

Come here to berkeley man. I am working on business too. #1 public school and #9 for business and climbing fast.[/quote6673ac3572]

haha, i wish, i wont get in-dont you need sat 2's? i dont have those[/quote6673ac3572]

yeah I think you do. I'm planning on taking US History (since it's right around the time AP Us test will be) Math II (because I doesn't count) and Literature as a backup even though I hear it totally sucks hard ass.

JKirk

01-11-2006 16:46:24

I know this is kind of off the topic but it wasn't worthy of creating another thread and I had mentioned it earlier. Anyone else getting their scores back tomorrow for the October SAT exam?

Also, what'd you think of that ACT, Powerbook?

tylerc

01-11-2006 16:57:09

I'll be getting back my SATs tomorrow as well, I really only need 10 points.

ACTs suck, they don't give you enough time and the science section is retarded.

Powerbook

01-11-2006 16:58:13

[quote92ec6f015d="JKirk"]I know this is kind of off the topic but it wasn't worthy of creating another thread and I had mentioned it earlier. Anyone else getting their scores back tomorrow for the October SAT exam?

Also, what'd you think of that ACT, Powerbook?[/quote92ec6f015d]

I thought the ACT went ok, but the science section killed me because i ran out of time and had to guess on like 10.... But, yeah I get my SAT's tomorrow. I am nervous because they need to be good, but they probably won't be as good as I need. I am praying though. How about you? Best of luck by the way. I applied to Providence College on the 30th of October for Early Action. I get a decision by January 1st. ) I got some more early action schools then the regular decision ones. So far, the process is going well because I have been determined and started early. However, the testing process is going quite shitty. Hopefully tomorrow's SAT, and the ACT change this.

JKirk

01-11-2006 17:34:18

I get my scores back tomorrow as well, I'll probably be posting or we can PM each other and compare scores if you don't mind. I really don't care about it since this was honestly my first time taking it. Yeah, I'm a nub. But yeah, I'd have to agree that the science section was hard. I got through all of them except the last five. I had trouble with some of the math towards the end because I forgot my scientific calculator to do the cosigns and tangents. Yeah, I'm an idiot but that's the only part I would have needed it on. Good luck though to you too.

Gigante

02-11-2006 00:01:04

Aurelius, I did a few extras.

Was Sr. Class pres, founded the Meat Lovers Club in order to combat the newly formed Vegetarian Club, played fball, wrestled, and played hockey. And some other random crap.

Powerbook

02-11-2006 02:29:16

There go my college plans.... I did shitty once again.... Only that can save is the ACT. I probably fucked that up as well. I hate this. Damn test fucking up my chances at the schools i want to go to.

Psyc

02-11-2006 03:28:54

Well, there goes almost $50 down the drain. I didn't do any different, I think I did worse in some parts. I've heard colleges only look at the reading and math. I think the only part I improved on was the writing. So that sucks. X(

tylerc

02-11-2006 04:15:29

Yeah, I got dominated on my math section, did about the same on reading and writing.

Oh well.

JKirk

02-11-2006 07:56:16

I didn't do so hot either but this is my first time taking it so I don't mind it as much. I thought I did a lot worse on the writing and a lot better on the math but oh well. Anyone want to compare scores? I'm kind of ashamed of mine. lol

johnjimjones

02-11-2006 08:12:27

I did really crappy on my SATs especially trying to go into engineering (where the average SAT score is 1300+ - old version). But I still got in all of my schools that I applied to. ;)

Powerbook

02-11-2006 11:41:12

1790, 600 Critical reading, 580 Math, 610 writing

Yeah i pwn all of you with my shitty score. I bet I have like the lowest score here. ( FUCK THE SAT"S ARHHRHR!!! I am hoping my ACT score will be better.

tylerc

02-11-2006 13:28:52

My best scores were

640 Critical Reading
620 Math
620 Writing

I did worse on all sections this time, but better on my essay.

Powerbook

02-11-2006 14:33:48

[quote01333f6ec6="tylerc"]My best scores were

640 Critical Reading
620 Math
620 Writing

I did worse on all sections this time, but better on my essay.[/quote01333f6ec6]

your scores are fine for the places you are applying to. My scores aren't gonna get me anywhere, but UCONN. I really don't wanna go there.

tylerc

02-11-2006 14:35:28

I don't think I'll get into Virginia, but I'm really just applying to Virginia and Michigan to see if I could go there for law school if I choose to.

JKirk

02-11-2006 14:42:32

What's wrong with UCONN? I thought about applying there. I can get into West Virginia University but that place is a joke for actually school. lol

Powerbook

02-11-2006 15:26:36

[quoted2399687db="JKirk"]What's wrong with UCONN? I thought about applying there. I can get into West Virginia University but that place is a joke for actually school. lol[/quoted2399687db]

me and 17,000 people on campus don't mix. Lot of idiots from my school go there. I really won't care to see them.

Zanpaktou

02-11-2006 16:37:17

SATs 04/06
Critical Reading 520
Math 670
Writing 640
Essay 8/12

October '06 scores

Critical Reading 600
Math 690
Writing 650
Essay 9/12 (and i didnt even finish it)

I'm happy with my scores......

TFOAF

02-11-2006 16:39:33

[quote77e6e6c3df="Zanpaktou"]SATs 04/06
Critical Reading 520
Math 670
Writing 640
Essay 8/12

October '06 scores

Critical Reading 600
Math 690
Writing 650

I'm happy with my scores......[/quote77e6e6c3df]
Holy shit. Holy fucking shit. LOL. That was a huge improvement.

tylerc

02-11-2006 17:30:28

[quote1ce73e4318="Zanpaktou"]SATs 04/06
Critical Reading 520
Math 670
Writing 640
Essay 8/12

October '06 scores

Critical Reading 600
Math 690
Writing 650

I'm happy with my scores......[/quote1ce73e4318]

26 year olds take the SATs?

Kidd

02-11-2006 17:33:38

havent you heard of higher education lol

Zanpaktou

02-11-2006 18:17:05

I'm pretty sure we went through this before as well.... /sigh, i guess ill change it now to get you off my back...

and yah, a huge improvement, all i wanted was an extra 10 points to hit 1200 (on the 1600 scale), but i did better than that, i cant complain..

toiletpaper55

02-11-2006 19:06:33

LOL i did much worse
june 06
reading 680
math 730
writing 570
(essay-10)
total 1410/1980

oct 06
reading 630
math 640
writing 660
(essay-9)
total 1270/1930

that was a big wasted of time and money considering that most colleges still dont look at writing but my total of the best is like 1410/2070 but my dumbassfriends went up like 100+ w/o studying

Zanpaktou

02-11-2006 19:09:22

i didnt study........ but im also not going to aa HIGHLY prestigious and demanding school, your high scores are awesome... im sure youll have no proble,, colleges usualyl only look at your highest scores

Fugger

02-11-2006 21:28:11

Scored an even 1000 on the old exam. I go to Purdue (Calumet) and had no problems getting in, but that is because their standards are shit. Someone come to school with me. We can learn how networking works together.

Powerbook

03-11-2006 11:40:23

My scores are shit. All my activities will mean shit because of the score. Prestigious schools want numbers as well. ( FUCK!

doylnea

03-11-2006 11:46:46

[quote7a7f5a0f30="Powerbook"]My scores are shit. All my activities will mean shit because of the score. Prestigious schools want numbers as well. ( FUCK![/quote7a7f5a0f30]

Great numbers don't get you in everywhere either. As much as you think it's BS, the best schools, Harvard included, look at all aspects of an application. If there's someplace you're dying to go, make it clear to them in the app.

Powerbook

03-11-2006 11:52:22

[quote86acf88418="doylnea"][quote86acf88418="Powerbook"]My scores are shit. All my activities will mean shit because of the score. Prestigious schools want numbers as well. ( FUCK![/quote86acf88418]

Great numbers don't get you in everywhere either. As much as you think it's BS, the best schools, Harvard included look at all aspects of an application. If there's someplace you're dying to go, make it clear to them in the app.[/quote86acf88418]

That's what I am trying. I even had a priest write a recommendation for me to Notre Dame. Ehh I did the best I could on the SAT. Hopefully the ACT went better and hopefully my next ACT will be good too.

shortys408

03-11-2006 13:42:38

wherever you go, give greek life a try.

tylerc

03-11-2006 22:16:02

I looked at the average profile for a student in Notre Dame's class of 2010, and it's tough. The average student was in the top 5% of the class and scored a 1330 on the old SAT.

nusqax

03-11-2006 22:45:00

[quote0f0c7dc089="Powerbook"][quote0f0c7dc089="Psyc"]/me raises hand.

I'm scared that my SAT is going to be the determining factor of being rejected. My GPA is nice, grades are great, and -if I remember correctly- I'm #4 in the class. I do the whole extracurricular thing too. Soccer, Quiz Bowl, National Honor Society. I just feel like I'm going to be rejected by my top choice. North Carolina State University. I just suck at taking big tests that you don't really know what's going to be on them.[/quote0f0c7dc089]

Same with me, except I am ranked top 16% and have a ton of community service and crap. I am the Future Business Leaders of America President at my local chapter, President of the National History Club at my school, member of the Math Team, Band, Beta Club, National Honors Society, Radio freshmen year, and Track and Field. I have like 1000+ community service hours for my church. I hope all that helps. But, the reality is SAT scores and ACT's count a lot. That's why I am applying to some high status colleges without testing requirements ). I am going to give the ACT a go, hope it works out much better than the SAT. A 30+ would be very nice. ( But, yeah good luck to you. My top choices are Notre Dame, Boston College, Bowdoin, Tufts, Amherst, and Wesleyan. Good part is Bowdoin is SAT/ACT optional. I got a couple safties too but I am not a big fan of a school with 20,000 people. My cutoff is like 12,000 lol. Anyone take the ACT's and the SAT's? I wanna see how they stack up.

EDIT Thanks heh. Yeah i know that is why I do not like state schools. It is as if you are a number there, with no identity. My schools that I picked are all schools I love because of their identity, diversity, size, or majors. I didn't pick any schools because of the name. That's basically why I did not pick any ivy league schools.[/quote0f0c7dc089]
You should consider University of Pennsylvania - The Wharton School of Business. As long as you have lots of extracurricular and some good essays, GPA and SAT doesn't matter as much. I have a friend who got in with a GPA of 3.6. My SAT scores weren't so good either but I still got in.

Give it some thought. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Gigante

03-11-2006 22:53:18

If you are a minority with anything decent for grades and SATs, apply to Stanford, easy acceptance.

nusqax

03-11-2006 22:58:11

[quote833291b740="Gigante"]If you are a minority with anything decent for grades and SATs, apply to Stanford, easy acceptance.[/quote833291b740]
aint that the truth.

Powerbook

04-11-2006 05:42:07

Wharton is great, but just out of my league right now heh. Oh well, I will do my best and hopefully pull out a better ACT score.

Zanpaktou

04-11-2006 09:27:17

[quotef788809c6f="Gigante"]If you are a minority with anything decent for grades and SATs, apply to Stanford, easy acceptance.[/quotef788809c6f]

I love affirmitive action!

Fugger

04-11-2006 09:46:24

Powerbook, you are going about this all wrong. 1 word my man Rudy. Go sweet talk a priest and get a semester at Holy Cross, then leverage yourself into ND from there. Then go play football.

Powerbook

04-11-2006 09:50:25

lol, i tried sweet talking a priest heh.

Gigante

04-11-2006 10:30:42

[quote66e6e30543="Zanpaktou"][quote66e6e30543="Gigante"]If you are a minority with anything decent for grades and SATs, apply to Stanford, easy acceptance.[/quote66e6e30543]

I love affirmitive action![/quote66e6e30543]

why, it is a step backwards...Some people here are actually protesting to bring Affirmative Action back. Admissions of Asians went up while blacks and latinos went down, so now they are mad. Asians are a minority since they are like 10% of the state and make up 50% of the school.

Powerbook

04-11-2006 10:34:56

I hate the minority issues for college. I don't care if your black, white, green, or purple everyone should have the same chance. The miniority status is overused and quality applicants like me are being screwed because of it. I was brought up in another country, and I am a first generation college student. It all isn't fair for me either.

Gigante

04-11-2006 10:45:14

lol, yeah. Univ of Mich SATs avg for Blacks are something like 1100 old SAT with 1350 for the school avg.

If ur white, just say u are 1/16th native american and will get u admission to most of the AA schools.

Berkeley used to have waiting lists by race until 1996 when the state had proposition 209. So if u were waitlisted, they would tell you you are i the tp 33% of the Asian waiting list or whatever.

Zanpaktou

04-11-2006 11:01:06

It was a joke really, but I wouldnt mind being accepted into a prestigous school simply because im black.. I can understand where the majority would find problem with this though.. it isnt necessarily fair

tylerc

04-11-2006 11:22:37

[quote434bd6bc5e="Zanpaktou"]It was a joke really, but I wouldnt mind being accepted into a prestigous school simply because im black.. I can understand where the majority would find problem with this though.. it isnt necessarily fair[/quote434bd6bc5e]

Isn't NECESSARILY fair?

How is it FAIR at all?

"Sorry, you got a great score on the SATs, and stellar grades. Unfortunately, you aren't a minority, better luck elsewhere."

Powerbook

04-11-2006 11:27:34

[quote62b46a9814="tylerc"][quote62b46a9814="Zanpaktou"]It was a joke really, but I wouldnt mind being accepted into a prestigous school simply because im black.. I can understand where the majority would find problem with this though.. it isnt necessarily fair[/quote62b46a9814]

Isn't NECESSARILY fair?

How is it FAIR at all?

"Sorry, you got a great score on the SATs, and stellar grades. Unfortunately, you aren't a minority, better luck elsewhere."[/quote62b46a9814]

Exactly what I was thinking. There are plenty of people like me that came from other cultural backgrounds that aren't viewed as minorities. I guess we aren't as important as minorities. Not fair at all, someone needs to change this system. Ivy league= Minorities and rich white kids whose parents are either alumni or they simply donated a lot of money.

What an idiotic system.

Zanpaktou

04-11-2006 13:34:19

[quote4a6ab6b5ce="Powerbook"][quote4a6ab6b5ce="tylerc"][quote4a6ab6b5ce="Zanpaktou"]It was a joke really, but I wouldnt mind being accepted into a prestigous school simply because im black.. I can understand where the majority would find problem with this though.. it isnt necessarily fair[/quote4a6ab6b5ce]

Isn't NECESSARILY fair?

How is it FAIR at all?

"Sorry, you got a great score on the SATs, and stellar grades. Unfortunately, you aren't a minority, better luck elsewhere."[/quote4a6ab6b5ce]

Exactly what I was thinking. There are plenty of people like me that came from other cultural backgrounds that aren't viewed as minorities. I guess we aren't as important as minorities. Not fair at all, someone needs to change this system. Ivy league= Minorities and rich white kids whose parents are either alumni or they simply donated a lot of money.

What an idiotic system.[/quote4a6ab6b5ce]

schools are starting to get rid of it anyways.. only reason i like it, like i said, is because im black and im not a horrible student, but even with it, like you sid, its starting to be come hard for spanish and black people to get into schools because they are trying to increase the asian population and stuff like that. I'm not here to start an argument about it, the schools im applying to are schools id most likely get into regardless of my race, it's florida after all

amir89630

05-11-2006 20:09:51

for realz,

stanford has some affirmative action going on.

DAYUMN son, im gonna apply there.

tylerc

05-11-2006 21:34:06

You should also write like that in your essay.

"Word, foolz, I'm tha reel deal fo sho, let me in, ya heard?"

Dave82

05-11-2006 22:14:33

Dont major in something just because you like it or are good at it. Factor in job availability. Many jobs in certain areas of the computer field are going over seas and will most liekly continue to go overseas. You cant always predict where something is going, but you can get an idea. That is why counselors are there. They will tell you that for every 10 law students graduating, there is approx 1 job. So if you REALLY want to go into law, make sure your love for law outweights the risk factor for not getting a job immediately.

Talk to school counselors. They can tell you what jobs that have lower risk for outsourcing AND high demand (ex accounting and the medical field). For god's sake please dont major in history or english or sociology. Yeah i'm sure people will be like my uncle did and he got a job no problems and makes lots of money. The majority dont. Why did they get a degree in that anyway?? Unless you wanted to teach history or do reseach(PhD required), your desicion to pursue that area was shooting youself in the foot. Have fun giving tours at the muesum!! You dont get degrees because you are interested in something!! If you are interested in history then you can spend your time outside of work learning about history. Look for an area where you can get a job. And from THOSE options, pick the one that interests you the most. My gf loves fashion. She wouldnt be stupid enough to get a degree from Kent State U in fashion merchandising though.
If you are one of those people who are ruled by your emotions and must must MUST get an undergrad in anthropology or philosphy at least back it up and double major in business or account or something to pair it with. I always hate it when someone gets a degree in philospophy and then is complaining about not having a job or working in the mall. Hello?! You were the idiot that thought that was a good idea. Maybe you should have gotten a degree in something that would increase your chances of landing a career rather than majoring in something you like religious studies. That way you could be spending your time off reading about religion rather than working three part time jobs to pay rent.

If you are one of those dolts who just HAD TO major in something like anthropology, do yourself a favor and go study for your GRE and get into grad school. Many schools let you do an MBA online. Not saying you have to get an MBA, but lets aim for something more practical than political science.

Dont look at being a professor as a back up option. It isnt easy. You dont just teach, you are also in most cases required to publish. The golden rule of being a professor is publish or perish. If you want to be an anthropology professor, then go for your PhD. and undergrad in anthropology will land you a job at the natual history museaum gift shop.

This post wasnt to bag on anyone. So dont take it personally. Egytianruin, you are going for your PhD in history, which is different. But you have to realize from your first day of undergrad if you want to major in something like anthropology that you need to follow through into getting a PhD in order to live in doors. You have to commit to the PhD path and realize that you wont be making decent money in 4 years. For example, psyc undergrads (my gf) will not make more than $10/hr with an undergrad. And not too many jobs for an MA or MS in psyc (aside from marketing which is oversaturated). She knows she has to stick to the PhD route.

I just really dont want to see anyone make a mistake. Dont make decisions with your emotions, be practical. Some people are content with low income. If that is you, than more power to you. Go for that degree in astrology!! Just make sure you save to have kids and bills and dont complain when you have no money, you were warned.
Geez, why didnt their parents say anything to them when they said, "Hey mom and dad, i am going to major in womens studies!" Didnt they want their kid to be ever be able to move out???

Dave82

05-11-2006 22:21:14

oh yea to whoever said Ivy league= Minorities and rich white kids whose parents are either alumni or they simply donated a lot of money.

yes, a percentage if ivy league student are in because their parents donated money (GW went to harvard)..... but certainly not most or even close. They are difficult to get into.

And a prof at harvard that i know told me once that those who get in from donations are put on a different path. No rich kid is getting into engineering and gonna survive the calc and physics without being able to do it. Those kids usually go for the arts (ex business)

Also, schedule interviews to local schools that you dont want to get into for practice interviewing. Also your school counselor should have resources (or you can look them up online or in the library) and common interview questions. It sounds stupid, but you can practice and interview with a friends parents, or anyone you know but arent too comportable with. Maybe a teach of yours.

Oh yeah, i have a lot of friends that went to CWRU. White is the minority there. They are mostly chinese and indian. Oh and NEOUCOM (an accelerated med school in Ohio that you have to have minimun 4.3 to get accepted among other things) about one white person for every 70 students or something crazy like that. So in Ohio, Zanpaktu, i ahevnt heard anything about "trying to increase the asian population and stuff like that". I dont know where you got that.

nusqax

06-11-2006 00:35:34

[quotea1fd69fe11="Dave82"]yes, a percentage if ivy league student are in because their parents donated money (GW went to harvard)..... but certainly not most or even close. They are difficult to get into.[/quotea1fd69fe11]
agreed. look at me? i'm not rich and the only way i could get in was through a 30 grand scholarship. and i still have to pay 17 grand a year /

Dave82

06-11-2006 07:20:59

[quotee083839627="nusqax"][quotee083839627="Dave82"]yes, a percentage if ivy league student are in because their parents donated money (GW went to harvard)..... but certainly not most or even close. They are difficult to get into.[/quotee083839627]
agreed. look at me? i'm not rich and the only way i could get in was through a 30 grand scholarship. and i still have to pay 17 grand a year /[/quotee083839627]

Well good for you for getting accepted! Obviously you are intelligent and hard working. Keep at it and continue to work hard and it will pay off in the long run. Hopefully once you get a job you will be able to pay off the loans in a few years. wink