any computer science majors here???

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=47357

GCY

19-10-2006 13:00:50

I'm not majoring in computer science, class was given to me by my counselor. Anyways, I have this HW that I don't freaking got a clue what to do. Any1 know this stuff? Will give as much Karma as I can!!! +5, +10 maybe

First go here
http//imada.sdu.dk/~juul/dm35/simulator.html

And then I'm suppose to plug in the #'s on the simulator and change it to negative or something.
http/" alt=""/img74.imageshack.us/img="74/6507" alt=""/img0242uf3.jpg[/img0e230fa0f0][=http//imageshack.us][img="0e230fa0f0]http/" alt=""/img74.imageshack.us/img="74/6507" alt=""/img0242uf3.jpg[/img0e230fa0f0][/url]

ILoveToys

19-10-2006 13:26:12

LOL...it's assembly of some sort basically...I took a class on the MIPS proecessor a couple of years ago, but I don't remember much about it, and I would be of little help for you on this.

GCY

19-10-2006 13:34:14

[quote0428eda8ff="ILoveToys"]LOL...it's assembly of some sort basically...I took a class on the MIPS proecessor a couple of years ago, but I don't remember much about it, and I would be of little help for you on this.[/quote0428eda8ff]
any idea how to start it? or how to "run the program in the given data"?

Dave82

19-10-2006 13:36:55

when is it due?

Please do not say tomorrow

GCY

19-10-2006 13:47:45

lol...its tomm.
I heard its suppose to be "easy" shock

Killer722

19-10-2006 14:10:12

That's the instruction set in hexadecimal for a processor. Someone might be able to help if you could provide the op codes and their functions. It's a little confusing to me cause I'm kind of new at this, and I don't see why you have to put those contents into addresses that I don't see listed.

bruman

19-10-2006 14:19:38

You're giving away karma? What good is karma?
Man this is fipg, you gonna need money. You want help, they want money.

ILoveToys

19-10-2006 14:26:50

Yeah...assembly is a big pain in the ass to begin w/...I'd have to be pretty bored to write that for karma, when I'm still not sure i get the point of karma....and to answer ur question, I don't really know how to start it...It's been way to long, and to even think in Hexadecimal again is beyond what I want to do.

bballp6699

19-10-2006 14:33:04

Dmorris is an assembly masta, but unless you can offer him 20k plus benefits, he won't help you.

GCY

19-10-2006 14:35:43

how much u ppl want?

AstonisheD

19-10-2006 16:08:39

i have no freaking clue what this is, but i figured out how to put that info from the first part

it says put 20 in address 00 and put 80 in address 01 right? i put

[00] 20
[01] 80

and it worked, idk wth this kind of stuff is but maybe that might help a bit

Killer722

19-10-2006 16:40:30

Don't you have the functions and opcodes to go along with it? It would be kind of mean of a teacher to give them assembly without translating each op code with its given function.

GCY

19-10-2006 17:38:41

The professor I had is a fucking ahole. He expect us to do this shit just spending one class on it, hack not even. He freaking went over 4 sections in the textbook in one class!!. He even said it himself "I can't believe I just went through 4 sections today" exact same word.

dmorris68

19-10-2006 18:41:50

I have this rule about doing folks' homework for them, so I'll just give you some pointers. ;)

The book should have the assembler instructions listed that match the opcodes, which will make things a little easier. This is an extremely simple assembler language, with only about 14 instructions. For example, opcode 01 is a Load instruction, 03 is a Store, 09 is XOR, etc.

I'll also give you this link to a Windows program version of this machine, which includes an assembler instruction view. I haven't tried it, mind you, but if you plug in the opcodes you should be able to see an assembler view of the instructions. Then it is a simple matter to make the modifications required by your assignment to change the behavior.

http//wwwes.cs.utwente.nl/software/simpsim

This is very simple, you just have to understand what you're working with. Did you pay attention in class? ;)

Killer722

19-10-2006 19:18:22

[quote457af864d9="dmorris68"]I have this rule about doing folks' homework for them, so I'll just give you some pointers. ;)

The book should have the assembler instructions listed that match the opcodes, which will make things a little easier. This is an extremely simple assembler language, with only about 14 instructions. For example, opcode 01 is a Load instruction, 03 is a Store, 09 is XOR, etc.

I'll also give you this link to a Windows program version of this machine, which includes an assembler instruction view. I haven't tried it, mind you, but if you plug in the opcodes you should be able to see an assembler view of the instructions. Then it is a simple matter to make the modifications required by your assignment to change the behavior.

http//wwwes.cs.utwente.nl/software/simpsim

This is very simple, you just have to understand what you're working with. Did you pay attention in class? ;)
That will be $20k please.[/quote457af864d9]
[b457af864d9]FIX'D[/b457af864d9]

GCY

19-10-2006 19:26:21

dmorris, seems like u know ur stuff. My lame ass professor only spent 1 class taking about this stuff. Actually we were in the lab, on the same site I posted above, all we really did was plug in the #'s he wrote on the board. With like 15 minutes left till class end, he told us to convert them to negative without really explaining anything.

I had literally no clue what I'm doing.

Can u at least help me start it? Just plug in the #'s for me? I'll try working it out myself.

Killer722

19-10-2006 20:55:33

[quote378cdc426b="GCY"]dmorris, seems like u know ur stuff. My lame ass professor only spent 1 class taking about this stuff. Actually we were in the lab, on the same site I posted above, all we really did was plug in the #'s he wrote on the board. With like 15 minutes left till class end, he told us to convert them to negative without really explaining anything.

I had literally no clue what I'm doing.

Can u at least help me start it? Just plug in the #'s for me? I'll try working it out myself.[/quote378cdc426b]
To convert to a negative, are you using twos complement notation?
I'll try to explaing twos complement, but it might be hard.
If you know how to translate from hexidecimal to base 2, that's the first step.
Say you have hexidecimal 1F, which is the bit pattern 0001 1111
That in twos complement would be 1110 0001
To go from a positive to a negative, start from the 1 to closest to the right, write down that 1 and anything to the right of it, because nothing changes. Then, to the left of the 1, everything that is a 1 becomes a 0 and everything that is a 0 becomes a 1.

I really hate doing opcodes and assembly, so I'll leave that part for the morrisman.

GCY

19-10-2006 21:18:32

thanks for the effort.+K, and to dmorris as well. I know some of that stuff. Still confusing as hell. I'm just trying to start the whole shit. First process should be plugging in the #'s b4 converting it. I've been looking over it the past hour and I still can't figure this shit out.

I might not do it at all. Still have till 12 tomm. to finish. Its the only hw he assigned that will be collected and its already pass midterm!.

Dave82

20-10-2006 07:51:26

[quotece04747cf4="GCY"]I might not do it at all. Still have till 12 tomm. to finish. Its the only hw he assigned that will be collected and its already pass midterm!.[/quotece04747cf4]

I feel for you because i am a habitual procrastinator. I know the feeling of having something due and not having started it. I think that's why i go out of my way to help people in the bind because i understand THAT feeling.
I used to put things off so far and i was so deep in the hole that i would rationalize NOT doing the assignment all together.

I know this is awefully hipocritical of me to say, but im only saying it to genuinely help DONT PUT SHIT OFF UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE. Try and remember this feeling and use that to do a little bit of work everyday.

For me, i wasnt motivated to do school work until i felt that pressure that it HAD to be done. It is still something that i struggle with daily. There should honestly be a Procrastinators Anonymous like they have AA.

It just would have been so much easier for you to have posted this 3 days ago. Or tried it yourself and then when you got stumped, go to the professor a few days before it was due and showed him the work you had done and asked for direction.

If i knew how to do this assignment i swear i would have done it for you.... which is worst because that facilitates your procrastinating!!!!

I hope you remember this OH SHIT feeling and keep it in reserves.
Take it from me, procrastination only gets worse and more risky. So stop putting off assignments until the last minute. No excuse about how busy you are, if you can do the assignment in one night, you can do it in a week. Professors give you more than enough time for assignments. And if you are honestly working your ass off and there still isnt enough time, most professors (provided you are a good student and show up to class) will give you an extension if you take the work you have done and show it to them.

SO EVERYONE WORK ON NOT PROCRASTINATING

GCY

20-10-2006 09:07:54

thats def. my problem. I always tend to do my work at the last minute and besides I do better with pressure. Like writing an essay for example, ideas will come to mind more easily when I'm rushing to finish it. Its always been the case for me since High School and I'm desperately trying to change that but its harder said than done.
For the three essays I've done this semester for english, I stayed up at least till 3AM, getting up at 8.

Dave82

20-10-2006 09:41:29

[quote8f8a46c4c0="GCY"]Like writing an essay for example, ideas will come to mind more easily when I'm rushing to finish it.[/quote8f8a46c4c0]

Oh boy, same here. And i used to use that to almost justify it, because honestly i wrote great stuff with last min pressure. But honestly if you start early and finish a couple days in advance, the next day when you review your paper you make great corrections i think.

I am only trying to help you.
When i procrastinate and it is 11pm and the paper is due the next morning, i waste yet another hour pacing frantically with that OH SHIT feeling, then i hit the comp, write (really good stuff mind you), stop halfway and waste another hours OH SHITTING, then barely finish (being 10 mins late to class because i was printing my paper).

I swear it is going to take 10 years off my life.

edit Did you get it done by the way???

GCY

20-10-2006 10:04:34

haha...same here. Even if I'm under pressure to finish it, I'll do some and waste more time doing other unless shit on the computer.

Na, I won't do it. I just can't figure a way to start it. If I know how to plug in the goddamn #'s on the simulator shit, I could at least try figuring it out. I just have no freaking clue how to start so its useless trying to do it anyway.
gotta go to class right now.

Dave82

20-10-2006 10:47:55

[quote80530d8445="GCY"]haha...same here. Even if I'm under pressure to finish it, I'll do some and waste more time doing other unless shit on the computer.

Na, I won't do it. I just can't figure a way to start it. If I know how to plug in the goddamn #'s on the simulator shit, I could at least try figuring it out. I just have no freaking clue how to start so its useless trying to do it anyway.
gotta go to class right now.[/quote80530d8445]

See if you can discreetly get help from someone in the class and email it to the professor late. He might not count it, but at the end of the semester if your grade is borderline, it might be taken into consideration.

Or figure it out over the weekend and on Sunday send your prof and email, something like

I know this is late, but I wanted to finish the assignment even if it does not count. I am sorry I did not turn this in, I have been going through a lot these past couple weeks. I am a good student and unfortunately I got side-tracked this week. I am not trying to get credit, I just do not want you to think I did not take the assignment seriously.

Or that may be too over the top, i dont know, you can edit it.

BUT TURN IT IN DAMNIT!!! If you procrastinate and then begin to mentally justify not turning it in at all, THINGS BEGIN TO GET WORSE. I am seriously trying to help you out here. Just MAKE yourself do it tonight. Force yourself. Otherwise the whole "[i80530d8445]well i'll do really well the rest of the semester to make up for it,[/i80530d8445]" "[i80530d8445]Oh well, a B/C is fine, who ares in the big picture[/i80530d8445]" and so on. I procrastinated so much in undergrad, i had to drop a few classes because i did not turn in the work.

Just finish the assignment, even if the professor does not give you credit (he might give you partial credit even if the syllabus says late assignments are not accepted). [b80530d8445] If you complete the assignment, it psychologically makes it different if you do not do it. If you skip it all together it makes it easier to do that again for something else.[/b80530d8445] So do yourself a favor in the long run and just do the assignment, even if you arent going to email/turn it on.

I swear to god i am giving the best advice for someone in your situation. You are scrweing yourself over if you dont listen to me. I dont even know you so i have no reason to give you bad advice. I have been there, done it. Trust me it sucks. Deal with it, cancel your plans for the next two days, disable your internet connection/tv/phone, open your text book, start from stratch if you have to, and finish that assignment. Seriously.

GCY

20-10-2006 13:46:33

He'll let me hang it in late(next class is on tuesday). Most ppl in class don't even freaking know what to do as well. They still did it though. I kinda got a clue on how to start now.(looked at a few of my classmates.)

Its easier said than done. I've been trying to study at least an hour a day but that haven't happen at all. Maybe 1-2 hrs a week I put in studying. My counselor kept telling us, "if u put in 3 hrs a day studying for 7 days a week, u'll get an A". Thats 21 hrs a week yet I'm only putting in 1-2 hrs.( According to him, I'm on the verge of failing every class this semester base on the amount of time I put in studying.
Maybe I should disconnect my internet, turnoff my phone, tv, etc....
or I could always lock myself in the library....)

thanks for the advice, u've been helpful.D +K

bruman

20-10-2006 14:00:22

Eh, don't worry about it. School isn't that important anyways.