Paying for and auction via paypal TRANSFER: safe idea?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=47307

Dave82

17-10-2006 21:01:51

First of all, i did not know whether i should have put this in my other thread. i titles them different bc they are diff subjects but in similar categories. So let me know if i should delete this.

OKAY, so something else i bought off ebay, the seller states in the auction listing that they accept paypal but prefer money orders due to paypal fees. So i wanted to send them a money order but go sidetracked. I didnt want them to wait so i sent them a message that i would include the paypal fees and pay via paypal (credit card), it was a $7 a clockwork shirt so no biggie. The seller sends me a new invoice, paypal is not an option on this one. So i email the seller to just send me their paypal address and i'll send the money bc paypal gives you the option to enter in the ebay auction number it is for.

I just wanna know if that was a good idea? Like i said, this purchase was no biggie. [bc3a18cb20f]But if it had been something expensive, would it still have been covered if i filled out the boxes correctly stating the auction number and all???[/bc3a18cb20f]
It seems like a lot of sellers do this or they do not accept certain types of paypal payments, jsut the ones without fees for them (not cc i think).

Edit and for the sending money/transfers do they still pay a fee?

hehehhehe

18-10-2006 11:29:27

If you're paying with paypal fund transfer, there would be no fee if they are using a personal account. If they use a premier/business account, I think they do (that's why some people set up two accounts to minimize fees).

I would never pay for an item using fund transfer. You should always use cc with paypal since you can do a chargeback as a last resort.

For this case, all I can say is that I wouldn't buy anything expensive off ebay if the seller requires a money order. That's an easy scam for them. For $7, maybe go ahead and do what you were doing if the seller has good feedback.

jy3

18-10-2006 14:02:46

also u should be able to go to the original auction and pay via paypal since that was an option originally.