Jimmy John's

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=47290

tylerc

17-10-2006 16:56:25

We finally got one here in Fort Wayne. I am excited, because before I could only get it if I was going to a college campus.

srsly.

Iloveipods2

17-10-2006 17:02:22

nice! i miss it. that and chipotle.

tylerc

17-10-2006 17:07:47

Yeah, I love Chipotle, but we have a place in town called Moe's, which is pretty much the same thing.

guelah75

17-10-2006 18:40:42

[quote35c7b6fdf5="tylerc"]which is pretty much the same thing.[/quote35c7b6fdf5]

only better!

johnjimjones

17-10-2006 18:44:21

Jimmy Johns is soooooo overpriced. Now on the other hand Chipolte / Qdoba are something new to me and I like it.

unknown uchiha

17-10-2006 18:45:06

JohnJimJone's is cheaper. He give you $5 sucky-sucky.

ilanbg

17-10-2006 18:58:11

I'v never heard of any of these chains. ?

johnjimjones

17-10-2006 19:00:27

[quote7a32edc8f1="ilanbg"]I'v never heard of any of these chains. ?[/quote7a32edc8f1]

Neither did I until I got to Indiana.

Kidd

17-10-2006 19:03:13

chipolte in the city is 9 bucks for a burrito and a soda (

too bad i get those free meal vouchers )

johnjimjones

17-10-2006 19:04:54

[quote2389201ac3="Kidd"]chipolte in the city is 9 bucks for a burrito and a soda (

too bad i get those free meal vouchers )[/quote2389201ac3]

Yeah, but they're no Taco Bell sized burrito ;)

Kidd

17-10-2006 19:10:40

what kinda of meat do you get and do you get beans?

man the rice is kinda gross but when its combined with the meat its great. no beans for me )

dmorris68

17-10-2006 19:11:47

Moe's pwns Qdoba IMO.

J4320

17-10-2006 19:20:46

Chipotle rocks. For some reason all the girls I knew called it "Chipolte" and I'd always ask them if they were dislexic.

But yeah, the prices weren't that bad and it wasn't my money that I was using so I never really felt like I was wasting my money on overpriced burritos.

This is another thing I don't like about it up here where I live, NO CHIPOTLE. The closest one is like a 35-40 minute drive away. (

Oh and by the way, I've never even heard of Jimmy John's.

JordanE

17-10-2006 19:22:11

For some reason i've never liked Jimmy John's. Port Of Subs FTW. But Chipotle and Zaba's are fucking good. I get the barbacoa with peppers and rice. It tastes so good.

J4320

17-10-2006 19:24:14

[quotef36f28ef0f="JordanE"]For some reason i've never liked Jimmy John's. Port Of Subs FTW. But Chipotle and Zaba's are fucking good. I get the barbacoa with peppers and rice. It tastes so good.
.[/quotef36f28ef0f]

Don't forget the guacamole with that. ;)

They charge so much extra for it but in my opinion it's definitely worth it.

JordanE

17-10-2006 19:27:59

Hell yeah. Barbacoa, Peppers, Cheese, lettuce, Pico de gallo, guacamole, and alot of hot souce. So good...

Kidd

17-10-2006 19:32:20

yea barbacoa cheese rice lettuce green chilli or the spicer one, and a diet pepsi with lime or coke and i got lunch.

ajasax

17-10-2006 22:07:21

Best burritos here, Dos Hermanos[=http//www.redorgreen.com/]Dos Hermanos. We know our burritos here wink While on the subject of restaurants, anyone in CO ever been to Tokyo Joe's? My sister and I miss it so much since we've moved here.

dmorris68

18-10-2006 08:31:38

I would also like to add -- for sake of authenticity, and to assuage my OCD nit-pickyness -- that none of these huge stuffed tortillas are actually real "burritos." We Americans sure are good at bastardizing foreign foods into something only remotely similar (or even completely different) while retaining the original name. Taco Bell and most American "Mexican" food chains are so far away from authentic in their dishes, that it isn't funny. Tex-Mex is a more accurate category than "Mexican."

Most "real" Mexicans will look at one of these burritos and say "WTF kind of burrito is that?!"

Yeah, I know it doesn't matter -- they're still tasty. I'm just a chronic nitpicker with OCD about details. P That and I've had the honor of eating authentic Mexican food for so long now that I've become quite the critic. ;)

tylerc

18-10-2006 08:45:39

So how much better is authentic Mexican compared to stuff at restaurants like...say Carlos O'Kelleys or Cebolla's?

Do you guys even know what those are?

JordanE

18-10-2006 08:56:11

[quoteb7854f8201="tylerc"]So how much better is authentic Mexican compared to stuff at restaurants like...say Carlos O'Kelleys or Cebolla's?

Do you guys even know what those are?[/quoteb7854f8201]

I know what Carlos O'Kelleys is. I miss that place we don't have it on the west coast. But to answer your question its no where near authentic.

johnjimjones

18-10-2006 09:15:25

[quoted9f10a709f="dmorris68"]I would also like to add -- for sake of authenticity, and to assuage my OCD nit-pickyness -- that none of these huge stuffed tortillas are actually real "burritos."
[/quoted9f10a709f]

Wait....what? of course they're authentic!

ajasax

18-10-2006 11:03:12

We have [ie776c6f6ba]actual[/ie776c6f6ba] mexicans make our burritos here. Does that make it authentic? Not to mention we have the word "Mexico" in our state name wink

Kidd

18-10-2006 11:05:19

theres mexicans at taco bell that doesnt make their food authentic

tylerc

18-10-2006 12:15:16

[quote5c13c01fcd="Kidd"]theres mexicans at taco bell that doesnt make their food authentic[/quote5c13c01fcd]

QFT

dmorris68

18-10-2006 12:38:27

[quote351bead0dd="tylerc"]So how much better is authentic Mexican compared to stuff at restaurants like...say Carlos O'Kelleys or Cebolla's?

Do you guys even know what those are?[/quote351bead0dd]
Don't know what either of those are, but I can say that Los Pablos, Rio Bravo, Cancun, El Meson (all nicer, sit-down, dinner type restaurants), as well as the fast food joints like Taco Hell, Moe's, etc., are definitely NOT authentic. Although I will say, in its defense, that Moe's doesn't pretend to be Mexican, it's roots are from Texas and it considers itself entirely Tex-Mex.

One popular "Mexican" food that most Americans don't realize isn't authentic at all is fajitas. "Fajitas" don't exist in Mexico. They would essentially be called "tacos." When Americans think of tacos, we think of a hard shell with some ground beef, maybe some chicken. The fact is there are thousands of variety of tacos, and Mexicans lirarelyli eat ground beef at all. Same is true of burritos, which are never 4 inches in diameter like at Moe's. ) An authentic burrito will have one or two things in it, but never lettuce, tomatoes, and all that other filler they put in the big ones. That stuff goes on the side.

Basically, they eat tortillas with every meal, no matter what type of food is served, and most put their food in the tortilla as they eat it -- exactly like a fajita. In fact many don't eat with forks or spoons, instead they tear off pieces of tortilla and pick up their food with the tortilla. So a fajita to them looks like just about every meal they eat. lol My wife said there is no translation of "fajita" in the Mexican-Spanish dialects that she's familiar with, the term just does not exist.

Your best shot at authentic Mexican would be to avoid chains and seek out the little mom-and-pop Mexican restaurants. Not all of them are very authentic either, but you can find some pretty close. The problem isn't that they don't know how to prepare authentic food, but rather one of their target market's expectations -- American's expect "Mexican" food to look and taste a certain way, so if you're catering to Americans you modify your menu accordingly. The best authentic Mexican food outside of Mexico (unless you can get it at home, like I do) will be found in those largely Hispanic communities where they cater to themselves predominately, rather than Americans.

Having lived in Mexico for awhile, and having married a woman born in Mexico -- with a lot her relatives still there who are also excellent cooks -- I can categorically state that authentic Mexican is so much better than the Tex-Mex stuff. ;)

Dave82

18-10-2006 12:44:15

[b1b84ddd8a5]chipotle[/b1b84ddd8a5]

If you go to chipotle, BE REALLY NICE TO THE PEOPLE MAKING YOUR FOOD!!!!!

Every day they give out about 20 free orders to people who are really nice, atleast where i live they do. I am super nice and have never gotten it, but my gf has gotten the free order over 10 times. SHe has a killer smile though D

I dont know if they do it everywhere, but where i live they
do! You just have to first ask the person how they are doing and make sure you are genuine or at least act like you care about their response and talk to them as they are making your food saying crap like, "I just love coming to this place, the food is so great and the people are very friendly."

hehehhehe

18-10-2006 12:53:47

[quote00aa4295dd="Dave82"][b00aa4295dd]chipotle[/b00aa4295dd]

Every day they give out about 20 free orders to people who are really nice, atleast where i live they do. I am super nice and have never gotten it, but my gf has gotten the free order over 10 times. SHe has a killer smile though D

do! You just have to first ask the person how they are doing and make sure you are genuine or at least act like you care about their response and talk to them as they are making your food saying crap like, "I just love coming to this place, the food is so great and the people are very friendly."[/quote00aa4295dd]
That's hilarious. I would rather pay for the food than have to say stuff like that.

As for ethnic authenticity of food, I'd say that foods adapt themselves to their environment. When those first immigrants/entrepreneurs came into foreign countries ans started serving food, they adpated their ethnic foods to suit the crowd. Chinese food is different in various countries, and so is even Mcdonalds to a certain extent. You won't see chicago style pizza anywhere in Italy. I think I saw a lot of stuff on the History channel about this.

Dave82

18-10-2006 13:04:46

[quote7c9cd88f88="hehehhehe"][quote7c9cd88f88="Dave82"][b7c9cd88f88]chipotle[/b7c9cd88f88]

do! You just have to first ask the person how they are doing and make sure you are genuine or at least act like you care about their response and talk to them as they are making your food saying crap like, "I just love coming to this place, the food is so great and the people are very friendly."[/quote7c9cd88f88]
That's hilarious. I would rather pay for the food than have to say stuff like that.
[/quote7c9cd88f88]

Or you could just smile really nicely D

ilanbg

18-10-2006 13:08:06

Bah, I don't whore myself out for food.

JordanE

18-10-2006 13:24:28

[quotefae3745f78="Dave82"][bfae3745f78]chipotle[/bfae3745f78]

Every day they give out about 20 free orders to people who are really nice, atleast where i live they do. [bfae3745f78]I am super nice and have never gotten it[/bfae3745f78], but [bfae3745f78]my gf has gotten the free order over 10 times[/bfae3745f78]. SHe has a killer smile though D

do! You just have to first ask the person how they are doing and make sure you are genuine or at least act like you care about their response and talk to them as they are making your food saying crap like, "I just love coming to this place, the food is so great and the people are very friendly."[/quotefae3745f78]

I think someones hitting on your girlfriend.

tylerc

18-10-2006 13:58:39

Yeah I was going to say, they aren't giving it away because of her smile...

dmorris68

18-10-2006 14:00:10

[quote2aa106c670="hehehhehe"]As for ethnic authenticity of food, I'd say that foods adapt themselves to their environment. When those first immigrants/entrepreneurs came into foreign countries ans started serving food, they adpated their ethnic foods to suit the crowd. Chinese food is different in various countries, and so is even Mcdonalds to a certain extent. You won't see chicago style pizza anywhere in Italy. I think I saw a lot of stuff on the History channel about this.[/quote2aa106c670]
That's very true. I lived in Germany for 3 years, and while they have McDonald's and Pizza Hut, they aren't like ours at all. ) Aside from the differences in menu item naming (think Pulp Fiction and "Royale with Cheese"), they have some completely wonky idiosyncracies due to the local customs. For example at a German McDonalds, you (a) don't get ice in your soda, (b) get a little plastic fork with your French Fries because they do NOT eat with their hands, and (c) beer is on the menu. ) Oh, and (d) you pay extra for your ketchup packets.

The wife and kids and I were eating at Pizza Hut in Frankfurt one time, this was about 15 years ago. We were sitting there eating and drinking (a tall Dunkles Weissen for me, thanks) when I realized a hush had fallen over the place. I looked up, and EVERYBODY had stopped eating and was staring at us. BTW staring in Germany is not considered rude at all, it's perfectly normal and quite common. Anyway, they were staring because we were eating our pizza with ligaspli our hands. That's a huge social faux pas in Germany, you don't eat ANYTHING with your hands, including french fries (hence the tiny forks at McD's).

It is quite humerous when American customs are modified to fit into foreign culture, as I know native Mexicans find it humerous how we've adapted their cuisine. )

tylerc

18-10-2006 14:03:27

Why don't you eat anything with your hands in Germany?

dmorris68

18-10-2006 14:19:14

[quote2a295e7089="tylerc"]Why don't you eat anything with your hands in Germany?[/quote2a295e7089]
It's just a custom. They're raised to consider it incredibly rude. Much like we're raised to consider staring rude, while to the German's it's not -- they consider it perfectly normal behavior, and will stare at you straight in the eyes without blinking. It's pretty freaky.

I was over there in the Army, and shortly after arriving we had to take this class to introduce us to the local customs. Otherwise you'd have a bunch of drunk GI's beating the crap out of every other German who walked down the street. lol

Shortly after arriving in Germany, my wife and I were standing on the sidewalk outside a large department store in downtown Amberg, and this old lady walked past, staring at my wife. She continued to walk away but with her head turned back toward us, intently staring at my wife over her shoulder as she walked away. It freaked my wife out. )

tylerc

18-10-2006 14:21:25

Crazy Krauts P

hehehhehe

18-10-2006 14:38:59

[quote09ed277287="dmorris68"]Shortly after arriving in Germany, my wife and I were standing on the sidewalk outside a large department store in downtown Amberg, and this old lady walked past, staring at my wife. She continued to walk away but with her head turned back toward us, intently staring at my wife over her shoulder as she walked away. It freaked my wife out. )[/quote09ed277287]
Man, that old lady was just asking for a beat-down.

All the different crazy stuff that people do around the world is another reason why it's fun to travel and/or live abroad.

justinag06

18-10-2006 16:17:23

freebirds is pretty damn good, I prefer their options and taste to that of chipotle.

http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebirds_World_Burrito

only in texas and santa barbra though