Would this be considered Fraud?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=47281

Tsmith10803

17-10-2006 15:48:33

I have not done this, but I was thinking.

A lot of my friends don't have credit cards, if I were on a site that allows the use of Prepaid, could I purchase the card for them, give it to them, and they use that to complete the site? Or just buy some Simon Giftaccounts and give them the numbers in exchange for doing my refferal link? Once I gave it to them, it wouldn't be used my anyone except them for whatever they want. Opinions and comments please, especially looking for TSJ, Dmorris, and YGF's opinions

zdub08

17-10-2006 15:52:59

i think thats allowed

im 99.9% sure you couldn't get caught for that wink

YourGiftsFree

17-10-2006 16:08:04

If they do the offer with there own address, credit card or gift card thats theirs and there unique IP address, and information its considered a legitimate lead. So your buying them a giftcard then they are getting there own card so its fine.

OldManWrigley

17-10-2006 16:26:14

It isn't fraud. At all. It's just you buying them the credit card. I've done it many times, never had any sort of problems, because you don't have to register prepaid cards or anything with your info if you buy them in the store......

You'll be fine )

BD2006BD

17-10-2006 16:57:37

sites might concider you buying them a card as a 'walkthrough' but I don't see anyone finding out.

Wolfeman

17-10-2006 18:06:51

It is fraud. Just because people get away with it doesn't mean it isn't fraud. You are essentially doing the offers for your friends or walking them through it. Also, if they don't have a CC/Debit card they probably aren't 18 either...

YourGiftsFree

17-10-2006 18:22:14

If your doing the offers for the friends yes that IS fraud. But if your buying them a giftcard (thats what giftcards are made for) and they decide to do an offer they are interested in and want its fine.

bruman

17-10-2006 18:23:24

I believe it's fraud as well. Any form of prepaid gift card is fraud. If you only have like $10 on your card, and you're doing something like True.com which is a free 7-day trial, and then after that it's like $50. That says you're not interested in the offer and are only doing it to get credit, as there is no way you'll go past the trial. True.com pays out around $40 per lead, and when you do that you're costing them that much. Sure, it's True's decision to market this way, but when you do it just to get credit and there is no way you can even go past the trial, that wouldn't be quality lead at all. Unfortunetely this is undetectable so it gets by just fine.

bruman

17-10-2006 18:24:27

[quotef9efe1aa8e="YourGiftsFree"]If your doing the offers for the friends yes that IS fraud. But if your buying them a giftcard (thats what giftcards are made for) and they decide to do an offer they are interested in and want its fine.[/quotef9efe1aa8e]

Giftcards are definetely not made for monthly payments as 99% of the offers are.

topbillin1

17-10-2006 18:25:57

Even though the gift card will most likely not approve a offer over 25 bucks, meaning 99.9% chance of C'ing the offer isn't fraud?

So they do Carelton sheets for 10.00 then cancel? That's not fraud....

bruman

17-10-2006 18:27:27

[quotecf61e1cb3c="topbillin1"]Even though the gift card will most likely not approve a offer over 25 bucks, meaning 99.9% chance of C'ing the offer isn't fraud?

So they do Carelton sheets for 10.00 then cancel? That's not fraud....[/quotecf61e1cb3c]

what?

topbillin1

17-10-2006 18:28:37

lol, I'm with you.

by the way, I think so sites put you on hold for prepaid cards.... can't remember which ones.

YourGiftsFree

17-10-2006 18:33:06

Of course if you have say 10.00 and you do an offer knowing it will try to charge more then 10.00 thats fraud. If you do it knowing it will cancel itself and you wont be billed for what your supposed to be billed its fraud. You should use your own CC.

johnjimjones

17-10-2006 18:43:10

If you have to ask, it's probably fraud.

ronmm

17-10-2006 18:52:42

It's not fraud to use a prepaid cc or giftcard registered in your own name and info. If it wasn't allowed the offers would simply not accept them as some offer do not. They all have the ability to block them from signing up.

As for buying them for friends and them using them under they own name it depends on the network. Some would count that as a walkthough, which is against the TOS of 'some' sites.

Freepay specifically says in their TOS that they do not allow walkthroughs. Trainn only list "cancellation walkthroughs" as against their TOS not just a walkthrough.

There are walkthough guides and blogs posted all over online and as long as they don't tell you how to cancel it's not a big deal. Well at least I have never seen them have a problem.

You should always check the TOS on the site your completing, not just ask people here. Every site is different so you should do the research yourself, here you will get mostly opinions.

Jams44

17-10-2006 19:22:13

[quote9b92bb3a4f="Wolfeman"]Also, if they don't have a CC/Debit card they probably aren't 18 either...[/quote9b92bb3a4f]

How do you figure? My brother doesn't have either and he is 25. He either takes money from the bank or uses checks. Where he lives its just not neccessary. I know hundreds of people that use Prepaids to reduce their risk of identity or credit card theft.

michae229

17-10-2006 19:38:41

its not fraud im sorry but some of these sites take advantage of the customers, offers i mean by charging your card anyway even if you are not interested it protects you IMO.

XEN

19-10-2006 16:35:21

i use prepaids and im legit. Im 18 as well, turning 19 soon. Not everyone at the age of 18 has a job. some of us are full-time students. or just too lazy to get a credit card (because scared will get into a huge debt if not careful. lol!)

XEN

19-10-2006 16:44:58

some sites verify address on credit card is same as the shipping address. so make sure they can input their address on their prepaids!

theysayjump

19-10-2006 16:46:46

Didn't see this thread, but I don't see it as fraud.

If a family member buys me a pre-paid GiftCard for Christmas and I decide to use it to complete offers with, is that fraud?

As was said earlier, if you're buying GC's for friends and walking them through the process, or letting them use your card, or buying GC's for yourself and doing offers knowing they'll charge more than you have but don't do anything to discontinue your membership, then I'd consider that fraud.

JordanE

19-10-2006 17:03:26

Why do so many people think that if you use a prepaid card your off the hook when it comes to canceling? lisorry to use the "C" wordli What will happen is they will email you on your billing date and tell you there was a problem with your payment, thene they'll start sending you letters and eventually send a collection agentcy after you. A friend of mine signed up for the stamps.com trial not even through a freebie site, he just did it for some free stamps. He used a giftcard with like $5 and thought he was good to go. Than a few months later got a letter from a collection agentcy for something like $90.

Is there something i'm missing? Becouse honestly I don't see why people assume if its a prepaid they don't have to bother canceling.

theysayjump

19-10-2006 17:56:48

[quotebb67496dbd="JordanE"]Why do so many people think that if you use a prepaid card your off the hook when it comes to canceling? lisorry to use the "C" wordli What will happen is they will email you on your billing date and tell you there was a problem with your payment, thene they'll start sending you letters and eventually send a collection agentcy after you. A friend of mine signed up for the stamps.com trial not even through a freebie site, he just did it for some free stamps. He used a giftcard with like $5 and thought he was good to go. Than a few months later got a letter from a collection agentcy for something like $90.

Is there something i'm missing? Becouse honestly I don't see why people assume if its a prepaid they don't have to bother canceling.[/quotebb67496dbd]

If they don't have enough money on their card then they don't have to bother.

However, that's where they screw up because they will get calls, letters, e-mails, collection letters, and threats of involvement from the authorities, which they have every right to do so.

If pepole are so lazy as to not be bothered cancelling a service they no longer wish to use, then it's their own fault if they get charged out the ass, or threatened with lawsuits, or collection agencies. It does and will happen.

JordanE

19-10-2006 18:30:37

Exactly!

synix

22-10-2006 06:15:43

hmm..I think ppl consider it fraud because you're indirectly paying for the offers your friends sign up for..kinda how people pay for referrels shock

If a site allows gc's then there's no reason why it should be fraud..on another note...which sites allow gc's?