another ebay / nigeria question

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=47108

burritopunk

13-10-2006 21:50:29

So my buddy just sold his Nikon D70 on ebay, and the winner of the auction is a guy in Brazil, and it's for a friend in Nigeria. He said he will pay VIA paypal, I just want to know if you all think it's a good idea to go along with this. Here is his message...

Hi seller,
am pleased to be the winner of this item and this item is a good
luck gift for my friend who was transfered to west africa...and i
know you only ship within U S...it's because am presently in
(salvador in Brazil) for a business trips and it will take me upto
8wks...so i've called the U S P S office to know how much the item will cost

to west africa...i was told USD50,{add USD50
for the shipping} and i want ti to be shipped through Express mail
service b'cos i want it to be delivered fast as i will be paying you
via paypal..
here is my friend's address
Name-Lawal Adewale
AdderssNo 16 sw9/620 olowoyo street odo ona
city- Ibadan
State- Oyo State
Country- Nigeria
Zipcode- 23402
Pls reply me soon.

unknown uchiha

13-10-2006 22:01:18

I would just refuse and start a new auction stating North America only.

burritopunk

13-10-2006 22:03:01

That's what I was thinking too...but if this guy sends the paypal and it clears into my friends bank account, it's all good right?

hehehhehe

13-10-2006 22:10:31

No, don't fucking do it. They can still do a chargeback and your friend won't be covered.

burritopunk

13-10-2006 22:17:40

Ah okay, thanks.

megotcash

13-10-2006 22:27:52

Ya, i've seen a lot of people get burned on charge backs, and ebay tends to side with the customer, rather than the seller. plus, it's obvious the guy isn't quite right when he bought the item knowing you would only ship to the US, then wants you to ship it to nigeria. just start a new auction, or put up the second chance offer to the next highest bidder.

GCY

13-10-2006 22:39:59

the paypal could be hacked.
When I was selling my PS2, the guy from Nigeria offered $400 paypal shipped for a used ps2 rofl . I just ingore his email since he didn't even bid or win the acution.

ajasax

14-10-2006 01:16:55

What part of Nigeria Scam do people not get?

unknown uchiha

14-10-2006 01:20:12

Nigerian Scam refers to the 419 Advance Fee Fraud scam. What we're talking about here is the eBay Scam.

CollidgeGraduit

14-10-2006 05:11:41

[quote68c3cb75ca="unknown uchiha"]Nigerian Scam refers to the 419 Advance Fee Fraud scam. What we're talking about here is the eBay Scam.[/quote68c3cb75ca]

Call it whatever you want, but it's pretty obvious that anything involving high-end electronics, the internet, and Nigeria is a bad idea.

Tell your friend I'll give him $100 for it, he'll at least be further ahead than with the Brazillian ;)

JUNIOR6886

14-10-2006 05:21:39

that fool is trying to ip you off. Hopefully you can recover the ebay fees....

burritopunk

14-10-2006 06:22:47

Anything with "Nigeria" in I'm skeptical of, I just thought they usually offer a money order, rather than paypal. I've offered the item to the second highest bidder, so i'll wait and see. thanks for the info comrades.

JUNIOR6886

14-10-2006 07:20:11

lol speaking of nigeria look at what i just got

FROM MR. MATHEW OKON
BRANCH ACCOUNTANT
UBN - NIGERIA

Dear Friend,

First, I must solicit your confidence in this transaction, this is by virtue if its nature as being utterly CONFIDENTIAL and TOP SECRET. Though I know that a transaction of this magnitude will make any one apprehensive and worried, but I am assuring you that all will be well at the end of the day. We have decided to contact you due to the urgency of this transaction, as we have been reliably informed of your discreteness and ability in transactions of this nature.

Let me start by first introducing myself properly to you. I am Mr. Mathew Okon a Branch Accountant with the Union Bank of Nigeria Plc. Lagos. I came to know of you in my private search for a reliable and Reputable person to handle this confidential transaction, which involves the transfer of a huge sum of money to a foreign account requiring maximum confidence.

THE PROPOSITION

A foreigner, Late Engineer T. Brown an Oil Merchant/Contractor with the Federal Government of Nigeria, until his death on Friday the 26th of December 2003 in a ghastly plane crash in Cotonou, Benin Republic, I have being his personal Accountant Adviser and he Banked with us here at Union Bank Plc, Head Quarters in Lagos, and had a closing balance of US$13.5M (Thirteen Million, Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) which the Bank now unquestionably expects it to be claimed by any available foreign next-of-kin of the Late beneficiary or alternatively be donated to a discredited trust fund for arms and Ammunition at a Military war college here in Nigeria, do confirm the incident on the website
http//www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/africa/12/26/benin.crash/

Fervent valuable efforts are being made by the Union Bank to get in touch with any of the Brown’s family or relatives but proved no avail. It is because of the perceived possibility of not being able to locate any of Late Engr. T. Brown next-of-kin (he had no known wife and children) that the management under the influence of our chairman and member of the Board of Directors, retired Major General Kalu Uke Kalu, that an arrangement be made for the funds to be declared "UNCLAIMABLE" and subsequently be donated to the Trust Fund for Arms and Ammunition to further enhance the course of war in Africa and the world in general.

In order to avert this negative development, some of my trusted colleagues and I now seek your permission to have you stand as a next-of-kin to Late Engr. T. Brown so that the funds US$13.5M would be released and paid into your Bank Account as the beneficiary/next-of-kin. All documents that proves and will enable you get this fund will be carefully worked out and more so we are assuring you of a 100% risk free involvement.

Your share stays while the rest would be for my colleagues and myself for Investment purposes in your country. We have agreed that, the funds will be shared thus, after it has been transferred into your account 30% of the money will go to you for acting as the Beneficiary of the funds. 10% will be set aside for reimbursement to both parties for any incidental expenses that may be incurred in the course of the transfer, 60% to us the originators of the transaction.

If this proposal is acceptable by you and you do not wish to take undue advantage of the trust, we hope to bestow on you and your company; then kindly get back to me immediately via my private Tel 234-803-442-2909 or email= email=Mathew_okon@yahoo.dkMathew_okon@yahoo.dk email=Mathew_okon@yahoo.dkMathew_okon@yahoo.dk/email for security reason.

Furnishing me with your most confidential telephone, fax number and exclusive Bank particulars/information so that I can use this information to apply for the release and subsequent transfer of these funds in your favor.

Thanking you in advance for your anticipated co-operation.

Yours faithfully,

MR.MATHEW OKON

jy3

14-10-2006 07:55:49

btw, u should be able to get your listing fees repaid by ebay when u relist. also, report his userid as a possible defrauder

freaky1718

14-10-2006 09:03:48

i would of just left the cash in my account and give a second chance offer to the other one

nobody2000

14-10-2006 10:14:27

[quote59f1804b22="jy3"]btw, u should be able to get your listing fees repaid by ebay when u relist. also, report his userid as a possible defrauder[/quote59f1804b22]

This isn't true...I've been fucked out of about $12 worth of fees because of these douchebags and ebay says that the they can't refund money to relist, but they won't charge for their commission fees.