Changing careers at 30.

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=46931

topbillin1

10-10-2006 11:31:03

I 've decided to change careers at my age (30) and do something else. For the last 5 years I've driven a small company truck dropping off packages to customers, it's a decent job, pretty stable and I'm well liked but the money isn't there. Granted, a noob can drive a truck but I'd like some more money and these guys won't give it so I've decided I need training in another field in order to make more money.

Now, I never desired to be rich, I'm just a average guy living a average life, never wanted more or less so I'm not looking for big bucks but a little more money (over 40k) along with better benefits.

Back when I was 23 I attained a 2 year A.S degree in Computers (Networking) however, I quickly gave up the dog fight that is called I.T due to at the time I really wasn't serious about it and I felt that the requirements where so high that most people cannot meet them. I quickly changed pace due to no money at the time and took a month course to attain my cdl and I got hired at my company shortly there after.

Thinking it over, I have a couple options on how to handle this, one is a pretty expensive but pretty certain 40k a year and up and the other is really cheap but not much certainty in it at all.

1. Turn my A.S into a B.S in EET at Devry.

http//devry.edu/whydevry/gradstats_pdf_term/GES-US-SoFlorida-6-06.pdf

Everyone I talk too says Devry has a really good EET program that pretty much gets anyone who walks in the door 40k.

2. Community College, get either a A.S in Radiography or something similar or even a certificate or something of that matter.

http//www.broward.edu/programs/#CT

BD2006BD

10-10-2006 11:36:18

Edit Good luck..

good2speed

10-10-2006 11:39:47

[quotebce6814928="topbillin1"]I 've decided to change careers at my age (30) and do something else. For the last 5 years I've driven a small company truck dropping off packages to customers, it's a decent job, pretty stable and I'm well liked (even though I'm african american) but the money isn't there. Granted, a noob can drive a truck but I'd like some more money and these guys won't give it so I've decided I need training in another field in order to make more money.

Now, I never desired to be rich, I'm just a average guy living a average life, never wanted more or less so I'm not looking for big bucks but a little more money (over 40k) along with better benefits.

Back when I was 23 I attained a 2 year A.S degree in Computers (Networking) however, I quickly gave up the dog fight that is called I.T due to at the time I really wasn't serious about it and I felt that the requirements where so high that most people cannot meet them. I quickly changed pace due to no money at the time and took a month course to attain my cdl and I got hired at my company shortly there after.

Thinking it over, I have a couple options on how to handle this, one is a pretty expensive but pretty certain 40k a year and up and the other is really cheap but not much certainty in it at all.

Everyone I talk too says Devry has a really good EET program that pretty much gets anyone who walks in the door 40k.

2. Community College, get either a A.S in Radiography or something similar or even a certificate or something of that matter.

http//www.broward.edu/programs/#CT[/quotebce6814928]

Don't know what to say as I've never had to think about changing careers at that age. But considering your age I would sya to just go out and tr to find a job doing something computer related. try a helpdesk soehwere. The pay and hours may not be great at first but try to stick with it and try to learn new technologies on the job. After about a year or 2 youll have enough skills for a better position. No reason to go back and pay for college at ths point unless your job search fails. Its october so you have about 2 more months of searching around for some IT position. If that doesnt work then yous till have the college route.

Either way best of luck to ya

topbillin1

10-10-2006 11:40:05

I agree but it's a factor in the workforce these days and it's reality but I edited it out.

topbillin1

10-10-2006 11:41:57

[quote6c3f352f9f="good2speed"][quote6c3f352f9f="topbillin1"]I 've decided to change careers at my age (30) and do something else. For the last 5 years I've driven a small company truck dropping off packages to customers, it's a decent job, pretty stable and I'm well liked (even though I'm african american) but the money isn't there. Granted, a noob can drive a truck but I'd like some more money and these guys won't give it so I've decided I need training in another field in order to make more money.

http//www.broward.edu/programs/#CT[/quote6c3f352f9f]

Don't know what to say as I've never had to think about changing careers at that age. But considering your age I would sya to just go out and tr to find a job doing something computer related. try a helpdesk soehwere. The pay and hours may not be great at first but try to stick with it and try to learn new technologies on the job. After about a year or 2 youll have enough skills for a better position. No reason to go back and pay for college at ths point unless your job search fails. Its october so you have about 2 more months of searching around for some IT position. If that doesnt work then yous till have the college route.

Either way best of luck to ya[/quote6c3f352f9f]

I make a little over 30k right now driving a truck, I won't make that in I.T right now without experience. I agree that schooling is hella expensive (Devry is close to 70k) but a extra 10 grand a year would be great.

hehehhehe

10-10-2006 11:46:45

Devry is 70k?!?

good2speed

10-10-2006 11:51:08

[quote955e587e50="topbillin1"][quote955e587e50="good2speed"][quote955e587e50="topbillin1"]I 've decided to change careers at my age (30) and do something else. For the last 5 years I've driven a small company truck dropping off packages to customers, it's a decent job, pretty stable and I'm well liked (even though I'm african american) but the money isn't there. Granted, a noob can drive a truck but I'd like some more money and these guys won't give it so I've decided I need training in another field in order to make more money.

http//www.broward.edu/programs/#CT[/quote955e587e50]

Either way best of luck to ya[/quote955e587e50]

I make a little over 30k right now driving a truck, I won't make that in I.T right now without experience. I agree that schooling is hella expensive (Devry is close to 70k) but a extra 10 grand a year would be great.[/quote955e587e50]

Think of the IT job as paid college. You get your foot in the door, make a slary, and get to learn new technolgies so you can get paid better later on. That 70k for devry even if you take it will most likely cost you 2 years of salary once you get a job. And thats assuming your expenses are 0 and you wont pay taxes. So your looking at howveer long Devry is and another 2 years not making anhy money.

I dont want to influence your decision. If you feel your not ready then definetely go the college route. If you feel you can get yur foot in the door and begin to make some cash and learn new skills then do that. Either way its your decision and youll have to think long and hard on whcih step you want to make.

hairyferry

10-10-2006 13:09:58

i just switched careers and it was one of the best things I've ever done. It's hard at first, but I'm sure it will be worth your while.

Not really related to your topic but my boss came in today and he was telling me that under 8% of Americans will make $100,000 in one year.

Powerbook

10-10-2006 13:12:11

weird, i know a lot of people in CT that make 100,000 a year. That is probably because it's CT. What are you doing know for a living hairyferry?

hairyferry

10-10-2006 13:19:03

I'm a Financial planner now, insurance, stocks, bonds, real estate, mutual funds, all that good stuff.

Powerbook

10-10-2006 13:20:36

[quotebbdf15c575="hairyferry"]I'm a Financial planner now, insurance, stocks, bonds, real estate, mutual funds, all that good stuff.[/quotebbdf15c575]

sweet

double_d

10-10-2006 15:13:57

Does being a financial planner require being a good salesman?

hairyferry

10-10-2006 15:24:06

ahh, yeah, but if you're an outgoing person and you do not have much sales experience you'll do OK. I never had any sales experience but I didn't have a problem talking to people I did not know.

There is ALOT of money in financial planning. My boss is 26 and making over a million a year. They say the average first year is 50-75k, Second year is 100-125K, they said if you're good at it you'll make your first million 5-7 years after you start. Another nice thing is you get renewal commission on life, disability, and heath insurance.

The hardest part for me was passing the dang tests at the beginning.

Rampage575

10-10-2006 15:45:35

[quote32d4e278b8="hairyferry"]ahh, yeah, but if you're an outgoing person and you do not have much sales experience you'll do OK. I never had any sales experience but I didn't have a problem talking to people I did not know.

There is ALOT of money in financial planning. My boss is 26 and making over a million a year. They say the average first year is 50-75k, Second year is 100-125K, they said if you're good at it you'll make your first million 5-7 years after you start. Another nice thing is you get renewal commission on life, disability, and heath insurance.

The hardest part for me was passing the dang tests at the beginning.[/quote32d4e278b8]

I did an internship program this summer for Northwestern Mutual. Didn't have any trouble passing the life/health exams..but I hated it. I had a hard time getting out of my warm market and ppl made me feel bad like i was selling them something they didn't need..when actually, i was helping them! So glad i did this as an internship and found out..but now i'm lost at what i'd like..still in finance, but dunno what to do now

jy3

10-10-2006 16:36:26

i suggest if u arent happy to switch for sure. i had people in my graduate school who were 63. and after that there is postgrad to do too. 30 is young.
do what makes you happy
do what interests you
keep in mind that loans do cost a lot. at least the interest rate shouldnt go too much higher b/c it will max out by the time u are done and then u can look forward to decreasing rates after that )

Stroid

10-10-2006 16:45:43

i am an account executive at a healthcare staffing firm and there is amazing money in sales. i cant believe how much money i make for what i do it is unreal