FAFSA -- denial excuse needed

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=46726

Dave82

05-10-2006 13:25:24

guys, i need your help.

My cousin missed the deadline for his FAFSA forms and my aunt and uncle are asking him when they can expect the check.

Can someone tell me how that whole thing works? Do they mail you a check in your name?

Could he lie and say he was denied? My uncle is over 60 and unemployed and my aunt doesnt make too much money. Maybe 30,000/per year, i'm not sure though.

WHat are the requirements for eligibilty? Are there age or gpa restrictions??

My cousin is really scared. She messed up, i know that. But i dont want to get her in more trouble. Is there anyway she can get outta this?

Any advice on how she should handle would be appreciated.

tylerc

05-10-2006 13:26:09

I don't see how you could just forget something like that.

Dave82

05-10-2006 13:30:24

I see how it was irresponsible.

I am not asking what to do about her. I was asking for advice on what she can do to get out of trouble or less trouble with her parents (especially my uncle).

I will deal with talking to her the other issues as well (responsibilty, value of money, procrastination, time management, priorities).

But i posted this because she doesnt want to get in trouble with her parents and i wanted to help her as i know they are SUPER strict and she is freaking out now. And i was looking for advice on[bc14050d2fb] that.[/bc14050d2fb]

VrExe

05-10-2006 13:31:10

[quotebabfa018a4="Dave82"]guys, i need your help.

My cousin missed the deadline for his FAFSA forms and my aunt and uncle are asking him when they can expect the check.

Can someone tell me how that whole thing works? Do they mail you a check in your name?

Could he lie and say he was denied? My uncle is over 60 and unemployed and my aunt doesnt make too much money. Maybe 30,000/per year, i'm not sure though.

WHat are the requirements for eligibilty? Are there age or gpa restrictions??

My cousin is really scared. She messed up, i know that. But i dont want to get her in more trouble. Is there anyway she can get outta this?

Any advice on how she should handle would be appreciated.[/quotebabfa018a4]

If he (she?) miseed the deadline, he (she?) can't do much about it. But if you are referring FAFSA to Free Application for Federal Student Aid, the dead line is July, 2007?

EDIT Read the post you just posted before me.

Well I guess the best way to tell them is that he (she?) sent it before the deadline but they didn't receive it in time.

Dave82

05-10-2006 13:38:36

[quote8226fa8f98="VrExe"]
Well I guess the best way to tell them is that he (she?) sent it before the deadline but they didn't receive it in time.[/quote8226fa8f98]

I dont think that would work because it is filled out online and they send you a confirmation email of receiving it according to one of my friends.

I was looking more along the lines of could she say she was denied? ANyone know the conditions of this?

I have no clue. Both my parents are doctors, and although i am paying my own way, FAFSA factors in how much your parents are likely to contribute (Even if in reality they do not). So i was never eligible for it. The website (http//www.fafsa.ed.gov/) doesnt tell too much how you can be denied.

If she put the wrong income, could that have been a reason she would have been denied.

I am trying to put her in a situation where it looks like she did her part, and THEY denied it.

Or if someone has anything better.

If you are an honest, responsible person and have a problem with this, fine. I'll make another post for you to yell at me and you can explain me the merits of letting someone reap what they sow.

[b8226fa8f98]But for now, i am looking for clever people good at getting out of things.[/b8226fa8f98]

www.Points4Rewards.com

05-10-2006 13:44:23

[quotea3a2b9117a="Dave82"][quotea3a2b9117a="VrExe"]
Well I guess the best way to tell them is that he (she?) sent it before the deadline but they didn't receive it in time.[/quotea3a2b9117a]

I dont think that would work because it is filled out online and they send you a confirmation email of receiving it according to one of my friends.

I was looking more along the lines of could she say she was denied? ANyone know the conditions of this?

I have no clue. Both my parents are doctors, and although i am paying my own way, FAFSA factors in how much your parents are likely to contribute (Even if in reality they do not). So i was never eligible for it. The website (http//www.fafsa.ed.gov/) doesnt tell too much how you can be denied.

If she put the wrong income, could that have been a reason she would have been denied.

I am trying to put her in a situation where it looks like she did her part, and THEY denied it.

Or if someone has anything better.

If you are an honest, responsible person and have a problem with this, fine. I'll make another post for you to yell at me and you can explain me the merits of letting someone reap what they sow.

[ba3a2b9117a]But for now, i am looking for clever people good at getting out of things.[/ba3a2b9117a][/quotea3a2b9117a]

FASFA would never deny a person. They would tell he(she?) parents or if he(she?) is independent, that they make too much to qualify for FASFA. In this situation I dont think that was the case. If he(she?) made a mistake income, FASFA would ask for corrections, they won't deny he(she?) of FASFA.

Dave82

05-10-2006 13:47:14

SHE SHE SHE

I was typing fast and talking on the phone with my friend and got jumbled.

Okay, so what is the limit? Does anyone know? Although my uncle doesnt work, they still have a huge house and money. However my aunt who still works doesnt make too much.

Do you think she's be denied?

Alright, i'm off to class. See if you guys can come up with something good please.

www.Points4Rewards.com

05-10-2006 13:48:52

[quote2edfb2bfce="Dave82"]SHE SHE SHE

I was typing fast and talking on the phone with my friend and got jumbled.

Okay, so what is the limit? Does anyone know? Although my uncle doesnt work, they still have a huge house and money. However my aunt who still works doesnt make too much.

Do you think she's be denied?[/quote2edfb2bfce]

That depends on the financial system of FASFA and also the financial system of the University, no one has access to that.

Dave82

05-10-2006 13:50:59

[quotecaaf53550c="www.Points4Rewards.com"]

That depends on the financial system of FASFA and also the financial system of the University, no one has access to that.[/quotecaaf53550c]

i'm asking in anyone has an idea of the financial limit because they were denied? Ot they have a similar financial situation to my cousin and they were not denied?? PM me if you dont wanna post it.

nobody2000

05-10-2006 13:55:14

FAFSA will tell you your expected family contribution. They only see if you're eligible for a federal PELL grant (you really only get this if you have LOW income) Federal stafford loans, and state-by-state aid. THEN you get something from the state if you're eligible for aid.

No one can tell you your expected family contribution or the limits as FAFSA doesn't make these lists available.

How about your cousin try applying online, and instead of undermining her parents, tell the truth if shit doesn't work out.

manOFice

05-10-2006 13:58:55

this is a tough process....lots of paper work...good luck

x323smostwantedx

05-10-2006 14:40:15

I submited mine and havent received anything, I contacted the financial office at my college and I had to file some papers and they told me to wait 2 more months to see if I was eligle for Fafsa or Cal Grant (which ill be getting $1551 for cal grant).

doylnea

05-10-2006 14:55:36

When I applied for FAFSA, I was making good money, and had a variety of assets, and I was approved for full Federal loans. I can't imagine there's a chance in hell anyone would be denied at least some portion of a Federal loan.

The only way around this, IMO, is to take out private loans, which will have significantly higher, and variable interest rates.

dmorris68

05-10-2006 17:39:33

[quote9859150574="doylnea"]When I applied for FAFSA, I was making good money, and had a variety of assets, and I was approved for full Federal loans. I can't imagine there's a chance in hell anyone would be denied at least some portion of a Federal loan.

The only way around this, IMO, is to take out private loans, which will have significantly higher, and variable interest rates.[/quote9859150574]
Yeah, there are 2 kinds of Stafford Loans -- subsidized and unsubsidized. A subsidized loan is granted based on financial need, and the government pays all interest accrued during school and deferment periods. An unsubsidized loan is available to anyone (otherwise eligible) regardless of financial need, but you pay all interest.

PLUS loans are also unsubsidized loans, to be taken out by the parents rather than the students. IIRC they are also not subject to financial need, but are subject to creditworthiness.

egyptianruin

05-10-2006 18:08:36

What kind of check are they expecting? A refund check? Because if you apply for FAFSA your funds are paid directly to the school and you are rebated any extra money from the school. If they want a refund check did they assume she was going for a Direct PLUS loan where they took money out to pay for education? I would just come clean if they are expecting a rebate check, whether or not they took out a Direct PLUS loan. If she is funding her own education through FAFSA what do her parents have to do with waiting for a check - if she missed the deadline and they were going for a Direct PLUS loan the loan was never taken out so they arent in or out any money.

egyptianruin

05-10-2006 18:12:48

I kinda get the feeling that her parents wanted her rebate check (if any) for themselves which is a no no anyway. The rebate check is technically supposed to be used towards your education - she could always use that excuse, lol. Mine however went to buying myself shoes and clothes.

Veek

05-10-2006 19:14:40

[quote9d2f128aad="x323smostwantedx"]I submited mine and havent received anything, I contacted the financial office at my college and I had to file some papers and they told me to wait 2 more months to see if I was eligle for Fafsa or Cal Grant (which ill be getting $1551 for cal grant).[/quote9d2f128aad]

Where do you go?

x323smostwantedx

05-10-2006 19:16:17

[quote7e73f35123="Veek"][quote7e73f35123="x323smostwantedx"]I submited mine and havent received anything, I contacted the financial office at my college and I had to file some papers and they told me to wait 2 more months to see if I was eligle for Fafsa or Cal Grant (which ill be getting $1551 for cal grant).[/quote7e73f35123]

Where do you go?[/quote7e73f35123]
ELAC (
I was stupid enough not to take the sats so I couldnt apply to cal states, which I know I couldve made most of them ? , ur going to school?

Dave82

05-10-2006 19:50:55

[quoteeb2c525441="egyptianruin"]I kinda get the feeling that her parents wanted her rebate check (if any) for themselves which is a no no anyway. The rebate check is technically supposed to be used towards your education - she could always use that excuse, lol. Mine however went to buying myself shoes and clothes.[/quoteeb2c525441]

Well yeah they wanted the refund check for themselves, because they pay her tuition. She doesnt have any loans. My aunt and uncle just write a check for however much the tuition costs every semester. I dont understand how that is a "no no"?

Dave82

05-10-2006 20:01:23

[quote43db5291d9="egyptianruin"]The rebate check is technically supposed to be used towards your education - she could always use that excuse, lol. Mine however went to buying myself shoes and clothes.[/quote43db5291d9]

and what you said about buying clothes with that money does not make sense to me because you still had/have to pay your tution. FOr example if they sent you $1,000 and your tuition was $1,000 and you spend $1,000 at Anthropology..... you still had to pay the $1,000 tuition with your bank money anyway. Do you see what i am saying?

Unless i dont understand FAFSA and they send you MORE money as in $1,500 when your tuition was only $1,000 and you spent the difference ($500) on clothes. But i doubt that is how they work.

You were spending your own money anyways, it was just a difference of direction.

My work pays half of my tuition. I pay at the beginning of my semester. At the end, i submit my grades and they cut me a check of half the amount of my total tuition. If i spent that money on clothes, it does not mean that i spent my tuition reimbursment money one clothes. I already paid that. It was technically MY money that was spent.

Does anyone else understand this??

Dave82

05-10-2006 20:07:08

[quotec711dbb951="nobody2000"]
How about your cousin try applying online, and instead of undermining her parents, tell the truth if shit doesn't work out.[/quotec711dbb951]

I dont think i explained it right. They paid her tuition and she was suppose to fill out the FAFSA. The deadline for the Jan 2005- June 2006 classes was this September. She missed the deadline.

I was looking for her an excuse that she got denied so it looked like she had not missed the deadline. So it would look like she submitted it on time, but was denied because they have a lot of money and that is why she isnt getting a refund check.
[bc711dbb951]
I just want to know if it is plausible that she would be denied so she can tell them thats what happened (rather than saying she forgot to submit it).[/bc711dbb951]

Like i said, my uncle doesnt work, however they have a HUGE house which paid off therefore no morgage, they own all of their cars.... so could she be denied? Like someone mentioned, it isnt publically known what their standards are. So i was posting to see if other people who have a similar financial situtaition to my cousin, if they were denied or approved so i would have some basis in telling her is it believable if you tell your mom and dad you were denied.

egyptianruin

05-10-2006 20:12:45

[quote7da1ba8f15="Dave82"][quote7da1ba8f15="nobody2000"]
How about your cousin try applying online, and instead of undermining her parents, tell the truth if shit doesn't work out.[/quote7da1ba8f15]

I dont think i explained it right. They paid her tuition and she was suppose to fill out the FAFSA. The deadline for the Jan 2005- June 2006 classes was this September. She missed the deadline.

I was looking for her an excuse that she got denied so it looked like she had not missed the deadline. So it would look like she submitted it on time, but was denied because they have a lot of money and that is why she isnt getting a refund check.[/quote7da1ba8f15]

I believe FAFSA checks with the school. If the tuition was paid up front Im not sure if FAFSA would have covered it. If they make a lot of money her FINAID would be reduced anyway especially if she isn't over 23. (or was it 24...Im so old now)

Dave82

05-10-2006 20:18:07

[quotece9d7994b6="egyptianruin"][quotece9d7994b6="Dave82"][quotece9d7994b6="nobody2000"]
How about your cousin try applying online, and instead of undermining her parents, tell the truth if shit doesn't work out.[/quotece9d7994b6]

I was looking for her an excuse that she got denied so it looked like she had not missed the deadline. So it would look like she submitted it on time, but was denied because they have a lot of money and that is why she isnt getting a refund check.[/quotece9d7994b6]

I believe FAFSA checks with the school. If the tuition was paid up front Im not sure if FAFSA would have covered it. If they make a lot of money her FINAID would be reduced anyway especially if she isn't over 23. (or was it 24...Im so old now)[/quotece9d7994b6]

She doesnt get financial aid. Her parents pay her tuition in full in the beginning of the semester.

Dave82

05-10-2006 20:23:08

Look, all i want is for someone to say, "She would have been denied by FAFSA. So she never has to tell her parents that she forgot to fill out the papers. All she has to say is they denied her," and be correct.

Because if she lies and says she was denied, and her case is obviously one that would have been approved, then she is in deeper trouble.

I want to know if her case would have been denied. No one can answer that, obviously none of us work for FAFSA.
[ba995015073]
Therefore, I am asking people who are in a similar financial situation as my cousin who have filled out as FAFSA form, WERE YOU APPROVED OR DENIED[/ba995015073]??? I dont know why everyone is answering everything else but that.

Veek

05-10-2006 20:25:33

[quote8fa9c708f5="x323smostwantedx"][quote8fa9c708f5="Veek"][quote8fa9c708f5="x323smostwantedx"]I submited mine and havent received anything, I contacted the financial office at my college and I had to file some papers and they told me to wait 2 more months to see if I was eligle for Fafsa or Cal Grant (which ill be getting $1551 for cal grant).[/quote8fa9c708f5]

Where do you go?[/quote8fa9c708f5]
ELAC (
I was stupid enough not to take the sats so I couldnt apply to cal states, which I know I couldve made most of them ? , ur going to school?[/quote8fa9c708f5]

ELAC. Was going to try PCC, but didn't after all. I'm going to transfer to Art Center in Pasadena, though. 8)

egyptianruin

05-10-2006 20:29:50

My Dad only made 50K a year my mom didn't have a job and my EFC was 4,000 out of 8,000 tuitiion for TU at the time. Ridiculous, yes. They dont take into consideration debt or anything just earned income. I have always been accepted for Direct loans (subsidized and unsibsidized) when I was dependant and independant. Although independant brought me more they never cared how much money I owed to CC, etc or if I was paying on my house. They wanted to know how much money I earned and had in my bank account. It's pretty hard to get denied by the Federal Government for student loans.

x323smostwantedx

05-10-2006 20:54:57

[quote01b6d41621="Veek"][quote01b6d41621="x323smostwantedx"][quote01b6d41621="Veek"][quote01b6d41621="x323smostwantedx"]I submited mine and havent received anything, I contacted the financial office at my college and I had to file some papers and they told me to wait 2 more months to see if I was eligle for Fafsa or Cal Grant (which ill be getting $1551 for cal grant).[/quote01b6d41621]

Where do you go?[/quote01b6d41621]
ELAC (
I was stupid enough not to take the sats so I couldnt apply to cal states, which I know I couldve made most of them ? , ur going to school?[/quote01b6d41621]

ELAC. Was going to try PCC, but didn't after all. I'm going to transfer to Art Center in Pasadena, though. 8)[/quote01b6d41621]
How long have u been going? Your going to the main campus right? Whats ur major at ELAC? After u answer this, ill pm you, I need to ask you some stuff lol wink

kidd2108

05-10-2006 21:46:28

It seems like your asking for excuses...how about creating a letter(well done) saying she got denied? she could then show it to her parents and eventually take it back and "loose it."

or

Just tell the truth.

doylnea

05-10-2006 22:46:32

sounds like your cousin is you.

What you do with the School/Education loan money is up to you. I know several people who were able to write checks to pay for their education (college/grad school/whatever) and still chose to take out Federal loans. During school you don't pay interest and then out of school pay some absurdly low interest rate. These folks took the money, deposited in a generally low risk, high yield money market account and made free money. Depending on their situation, they either paid the loan back in full after the grace period, or made payments on the loan and continued to earn interest on the Federal loan money.

Veek

06-10-2006 00:50:27

[quote6a25ee1b76="x323smostwantedx"][quote6a25ee1b76="Veek"][quote6a25ee1b76="x323smostwantedx"][quote6a25ee1b76="Veek"][quote6a25ee1b76="x323smostwantedx"]I submited mine and havent received anything, I contacted the financial office at my college and I had to file some papers and they told me to wait 2 more months to see if I was eligle for Fafsa or Cal Grant (which ill be getting $1551 for cal grant).[/quote6a25ee1b76]

Where do you go?[/quote6a25ee1b76]
ELAC (
I was stupid enough not to take the sats so I couldnt apply to cal states, which I know I couldve made most of them ? , ur going to school?[/quote6a25ee1b76]

ELAC. Was going to try PCC, but didn't after all. I'm going to transfer to Art Center in Pasadena, though. 8)[/quote6a25ee1b76]
How long have u been going? Your going to the main campus right? Whats ur major at ELAC? After u answer this, ill pm you, I need to ask you some stuff lol wink[/quote6a25ee1b76]

Main campus. Photography & Imaging.

nobody2000

06-10-2006 05:18:00

[quotecd3b132e90="egyptianruin"]My Dad only made 50K a year my mom didn't have a job and my EFC was 4,000 out of 8,000 tuitiion for TU at the time. Ridiculous, yes. They dont take into consideration debt or anything just earned income. I have always been accepted for Direct loans (subsidized and unsibsidized) when I was dependant and independant. Although independant brought me more they never cared how much money I owed to CC, etc or if I was paying on my house. They wanted to know how much money I earned and had in my bank account. It's pretty hard to get denied by the Federal Government for student loans.[/quotecd3b132e90]

[icd3b132e90]Only[/icd3b132e90] $50,000???? that figure, unless you have 12 brothers and sisters is a pretty good figure.

And my dad makes about $38,000 retirement, plus disability and social security, dividends and interest, he makes about $78k

Our EFC for the last 3 years was $83k because he's expected to sell his assets and mortgage the house.

So yes, if the house is OWNED 100% without a mortgage, then there is a good chance of denial.
If the cousin's income is relatively high (>$10,000) there's a good chance.
If the parents' income is high (>$100,000) then there's a good chance of denial.

However, fafsa ALWAYS grants SOMETHING...loans are a business, and they don't do it for charity, loans are paid back with interest, and while it IS low, it's more than enough to keep up with inflation....

Tell them about the income, house, and student income, then hope they don't take into consideration the thing about loans.

Also, i believe that you can file FAFSA late, and some schools will take the late next-semester app for this semester. Look into that before you lie to your family.

jadem

06-10-2006 08:36:54

Ok, I understand you want to help your cousin, but only true way to help her in this situation is to help her ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY! If she doesn't, this could happen again next year, because she "forgot." This is a good chance for her to act like the adult she "legally" is, and admit a mistake. I bet she won't forget next year.

It is situations like this that either help you grow up, or stay a junvenile.

Btw, her parents could have filled it out...my mom always did.

Wolfeman

06-10-2006 08:49:14

[quotedae764601c="jadem"]Ok, I understand you want to help your cousin, but only true way to help her in this situation is to help her ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY! If she doesn't, this could happen again next year, because she "forgot." This is a good chance for her to act like the adult she "legally" is, and admit a mistake. I bet she won't forget next year.

It is situations like this that either help you grow up, or stay a junvenile.

Btw, her parents could have filled it out...my mom always did.[/quotedae764601c]
I couldn't agree more...

egyptianruin

06-10-2006 10:01:09

[quote2d39ec680c="nobody2000"]

[i2d39ec680c]Only[/i2d39ec680c] $50,000???? that figure, unless you have 12 brothers and sisters is a pretty good figure.[/quote2d39ec680c]

Well when your mom is disabled and your dad's company files Chapter 11 and then sells it to a foriegn steel company and they are over $250,000 in debt (not including mortgage) it really doesnt seem like that much, lol. They didnt have the money to pay the EFC so I worked really hard took a year off and saved every penny to pay for the parts I needed. Plus a few scholarships and when I worked at BBY my tuition reimbursement lol On top of that art school is ridiculously expensive in terms of supplies.

dmorris68

06-10-2006 10:47:23

$50K/year is [b27d8557d16]squat[/b27d8557d16] in some parts of the country, and not just with a large family. For a houshold of 5, it would be near poverty level in places. I remember supporting my family on $50K/year, and it wasn't pretty -- and that's here in Georgia. In places like the Valley where a 1BR studio apt sets you back $2K/month in rent, or a 1000 sq ft tiny house is $400K, $50K/year would be like minimum wage.

Dave82

06-10-2006 13:39:04

[quotec2aee05468="doylnea"]sounds like your cousin is you.

What you do with the School/Education loan money is up to you. I know several people who were able to write checks to pay for their education (college/grad school/whatever) and still chose to take out Federal loans. During school you don't pay interest and then out of school pay some absurdly low interest rate. These folks took the money, deposited in a generally low risk, high yield money market account and made free money. Depending on their situation, they either paid the loan back in full after the grace period, or made payments on the loan and continued to earn interest on the Federal loan money.[/quotec2aee05468]

no, it's not me. My law school is paid for mostly by my work and some in scholarship money. The rest (which is about 20%) i write a check for.

and the rest of your post does not even help me. thanks though..

Dave82

06-10-2006 13:45:17

[quote480bf929a5="nobody2000"]

So yes, if the house is OWNED 100% without a mortgage, then there is a good chance of denial.
If the cousin's income is relatively high (>$10,000) there's a good chance.
If the parents' income is high (>$100,000) then there's a good chance of denial.

However, fafsa ALWAYS grants SOMETHING...loans are a business, and they don't do it for charity, loans are paid back with interest, and while it IS low, it's more than enough to keep up with inflation....

Tell them about the income, house, and student income, then hope they don't take into consideration the thing about loans.

Also, i believe that you can file FAFSA late, and some schools will take the late next-semester app for this semester. Look into that before you lie to your family.[/quote480bf929a5]

Thanks for the advice.

One thing i'm confused about is FAFSA loan money?? I didnt know they charged interest etc. I know on the website there are different types
li Federal Student Financial Aid
li State Student Financial Aid
li School Student Financial Aid

dmorris68

06-10-2006 13:53:57

There are many forms of Federal Financial Aid grants, loans, work-study jobs, etc. Student loans always carry interest, just like any other loans, however student loans have more favorable interest rates as well as tax breaks and deferred payback terms. Whether a student loan is subsidized or unsubsidized (see my earlier post) determines whether you pay the interest that accrues while you're still in school, or only that which accrues after your deferment period.

As was said, you can virtually always qualify for some degree of Federal Aid, it just might not be "free" money like a grant. Unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS loans are available to almost anybody who meets the creditworthiness standards, regardless of income.

Of course a lot has changed in the 20 years since I went to college, but I'm having to get back up to speed on this due to my own kids. My 2 oldest decided against college and are raising families, but my youngest is a junior in high school and beginning the college research experience. Which I'm not looking forward to (I'm looking forward to her going to college, just not all the requisite headache that goes along with starting).

Dave82

06-10-2006 14:05:01

thanks DMorris.

WEll i think she was applying for a grant because they dont need a loan money. But i dont know.

If your youngest can work part time (like 4-5 hours per day on Sat and Sun) while in school then i suggest advising them to work at a hospital. They can do billing, filing, answering phones, work the information desk, anything entry level. They usually pay your tuition via reimbursment up to $10,000 per year (at least around here in Ohio they do). That;s whay my gf did.

egyptianruin

06-10-2006 17:59:50

[quotea2b9d07726="dmorris68"]$50K/year is [ba2b9d07726]squat[/ba2b9d07726] in some parts of the country, and not just with a large family. For a houshold of 5, it would be near poverty level in places. I remember supporting my family on $50K/year, and it wasn't pretty -- and that's here in Georgia. In places like the Valley where a 1BR studio apt sets you back $2K/month in rent, or a 1000 sq ft tiny house is $400K, $50K/year would be like minimum wage.[/quotea2b9d07726]

I live in Baltimore, and the same thing here 50K is nothing - my dad is considered lower middle class in the pay range.