Guild Wars and lag issues

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=46527

DrkWarlock

01-10-2006 07:09:47

Ive been playing Guild wars for a couple months now and so far it has been fine. However, now whenever I start up the game, the lag meter in the top corner just skyrockets and doesn't stop. This prevents me from being able to log on and it is quite annoying. I dont know why it's doing this now. I dont even have anything else running.

Can anyone else explain this phenomenom and how to fix it?

Oh, I also have turned off all firewalls so that can't be the problem.

dmorris68

01-10-2006 07:34:06

I'm not having that problem. You may be dropping packets between you and your ISP or between your ISP and the PlayNC servers.

You could try to run some traceroute's to a PlayNC server (the IP's my GW just connected to are 216.107.24.21 and 216.107.240.201) and see if any drop packets. Mind you they will stop responding once you get into the PlayNC network (to thwart DoS attacks) but you should reach the plaync.net domain without losing packets, before it stops.

It might even be a bad server at NC's server farm that you are getting assigned to. If nothing else you might try their support -- they probably have some specific tests you can run that will help isolate the problem. Do you play any other games and have the latency problem?

DrkWarlock

01-10-2006 10:00:26

I do but I haven't tried any yet. Could it also be that I am running on a college network?

TFOAF

01-10-2006 10:00:59

Definitely.

dmorris68

01-10-2006 10:06:35

[quote03c56bee13="DrkWarlock"]I do but I haven't tried any yet. Could it also be that I am running on a college network?[/quote03c56bee13]
Sure, that's a possibility. A lot more variables in the equation when you're running on a large shared network vs. a direct connection. Does the latency differ according to time of day? What are your ping times to various servers, not only GW servers?

DrkWarlock

01-10-2006 12:08:15

[quoteef0b40cce3="dmorris68"][quoteef0b40cce3="DrkWarlock"]I do but I haven't tried any yet. Could it also be that I am running on a college network?[/quoteef0b40cce3]
Sure, that's a possibility. A lot more variables in the equation when you're running on a large shared network vs. a direct connection. Does the latency differ according to time of day? What are your ping times to various servers, not only GW servers?[/quoteef0b40cce3]

Well I have tried Starcraft and I couldn't even get a game started with my bro cause it kept giving us that "Latency is too high" message. Diablo 2 I think was fine. And like I said, I was running Guild Wars just fine up until two days ago...so I have no clue why the sudden change

Bentley

01-10-2006 14:11:26

Also make sure your not running and torrents or file sharing programs. Diablo 2 is the shit, hardcore uswest and east, lod.