True.com and $16 charges *hack* ?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=46427

burritopunk

27-09-2006 14:45:20

Hey guys, a couple of weeks ago I completed true.com and a day later was charged $16, which was kind of weird. The rep I talked to said he had never heard of that amount being charged. Long story short, they refunded my money.
Well, a friend of mine who did the same offer yesterday was charged the odd $16 amount as well. He contacted true.com and they said they would refund the amount as well, as it was a very weird amount. Well, he just received this email from the supervisor he was working with.

"Thank you for contacting TRUE Customer Care

Hi, There is someone using our name and charging customers.

We are working with banks to resolve this issue. Please fax us a copy of that charge 972/402/4801."

Just a heads up for you guys.

freaky1718

27-09-2006 15:03:33

Wtf so someone has people credit cards number . Time for a massive creditcard cancel

Xplic1T

27-09-2006 15:10:02

I'm the friend burrito is talking about, I just got off the phone with True and they said somebody has hacked into the signup portion of the webiste which i thought eventually would happen because there is no encryption used when sending through the information (no lock icon on bottom corner). The rep said he is trying to get that money back but i anticipate this happening to other sites also because a similar incident happened to a friend that did great fun, he used a gift card though and the 16 dollar charge was more than the money in the account so it never went through.

Be on lookout

Xplic1T

28-09-2006 16:47:04

Well it happened again on 3 sites now. I signed up now for Bargain.com off a Traiin site and am now holding for 20 minutes trying to get the charge taken off but all i did was just sign up for the offer 1 minute later i check my cc info online and a 16 dollar charge was put on my card again. First time was when i signed up for TRAAIN's True.com offer and then Freepays $25 passport to fun and TRAAIN's Bargain.com offer.

I dont know but it seems somebody has hacked there way into these servers and is getting CC information posing as if they are from the website.

When calling the offerers arent even aware of the charge and its hell to get that money back.

Just keep a lookout. Has anybody experienced this before ?

theysayjump

28-09-2006 16:48:42

Are you sure the charges are coming from those companies, and not just made to seem like they are?

Have you notified the sites about this?

doylnea

28-09-2006 17:21:39

Given that you're the only one reporting this, and the charges are all for the same dollar amount, I'd be concerned, if I were you, that there was some sort of Xplic1T exp!o1t on your computer.

VrExe

28-09-2006 17:34:01

Ya, maybe it could be your computer not them. Perhaps spyware?

Xplic1T

28-09-2006 17:38:12

i will do that but ive seen some posts happeneing for a4f also for the same type of thing

What makes me think its not spyware is that the offerers staff said they only recieved a 1 dollar charge, but i didn't see that reported on my cc's website just 1 charge from that company for 16 dollars. IF it was spyware it would have to know what website im on that is offering this offer and make a charge seeming that it is from them. Either way it is very odd, I think BurritoPunk had the same thing happen from true a few weeks ago.

mnx12

28-09-2006 18:11:21

Well I did the offer about a month ago, and then cancelled but got charged the $50 anyways. I called them and they said they would refund it, but they didnt. So a week later (which was like yesterday) I called back again and they said they would refund it again...They didnt say anything about any hacks, and I dont know if this is what happened to me, or if their system is just having trouble and cant refund me because of it, or what. I dont care how long it takes as long as I get the money back...

Xplic1T

28-09-2006 18:16:27

When i called they said no charge has came in, they said they would try to refund me the money but atleast they dont have it.

Did they say they recieved a payment for 50 dollars from you because on mine they denyed recieving anything, same with Bargain.com.

VrExe

28-09-2006 18:24:07

Why don't you just call your creditcard company? They will probably investigate this better for you.

Trainn-Alan

28-09-2006 18:31:26

There would be nothing to "hack" on our pages as we do not create, setup, or operate any of their sign-up pages, nor is credit card information ever passed through any of our sites or links. We just find out who signed up.

Alan

mnx12

28-09-2006 18:33:53

[quote998418d314="Xplic1T"]When i called they said no charge has came in, they said they would try to refund me the money but atleast they dont have it.

Did they say they recieved a payment for 50 dollars from you because on mine they denyed recieving anything, same with Bargain.com.[/quote998418d314]
No, im pretty sure they said they saw where it had been charged...

Xplic1T

28-09-2006 18:40:24

So i should just be like hi, i signed up for a one dollar offer but the company charged me for 16 dollars, can i please have that 16 dollars back.

ITs going to be a teeter tooter from one to the other.

BD2006BD

28-09-2006 20:55:18

You have to be careful on the internet while using your credit card. If the URL has http// and it asks your your credit card, there is a possibility for someone to hack it. If there is a https// then you are secure. The lock at the bottom right is added security.

HTTPS// means that it is a secure server and that your CC will not be stolen. Just remember that there is a risk if it is HTTP// without the S.

doylnea

28-09-2006 23:11:09

one topic about this is enough. merged.