Football Fans -- T.O. Attempts Suicide

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=46347

TryinToGetPaid

27-09-2006 07:09:52

Source http//seattletimes.nwsource.com/APWires/football/D8KD81FO0.html

Terrell Owens reportedly tried suicide

DALLAS — A police report says Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens attempted suicide by taking pain medication. Owens reportedly put two more pills into his mouth even after fire rescue personnel arrived.

A Dallas police report released Wednesday morning said Owens told rescue workers "that he was depressed." The report was first released by WFAA-TV.

The rescue worker "noticed that (his) prescription pain medication was empty and observed (Owens) putting two pills in his mouth," the police report said.

The worker attempted to pry them out with her fingers, then was told by Owens that before this incident he'd taken only five of the 40 pain pills in the bottle he'd emptied. The worker then asked Owens "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time (he) stated, `Yes.'"

The 32-year-old player broke his right hand Sept. 17 against the Washington Redskins.

Owens had surgery the following day.

Initial reports indicated Owens was hospitalized last night after a reaction to pain medication.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He took over 35+ pain pills and admitted to it. When he went to the hospital the police asked him if he took the entire bottle he said "Yes" and then they asked him if he tried to harm himself and he said "Yes". I doubt they will let T.O. play anymore....

johnjimjones

27-09-2006 08:06:52

oh shit.......

bballp6699

27-09-2006 08:50:06

Yeah, even as an Eagles fan, that's some sad shit...

GCY

27-09-2006 09:16:48

man ppl, u actually believed this shit?
Hes a attention hog!!!! thats all to it!
If he really wants to commit suicide, why not do so with a gun or knife? instead hes using pills where the success rate is minimal.

megotcash

27-09-2006 09:29:01

wow...i just don't get the obsession with sports so much. i mean, there as to be some point you can distinguish reality and what's important from football and a game. i mean, i know it was his work and income, but that's just crazy.

CollidgeGraduit

27-09-2006 09:33:03

Edit Removed the part about it maybe not being a suicide attempt. All signs point to it, but his agent is saying that he didn't know what he was saying due to the painkillers messing with his head.

Severe depression can be caused by a chemical imbalance. You never know what was going on with him, and it's not a good idea to rush to judgement at all in these kinds of situations. A man who had that much going for him must have had some serious pain in his life to try and commit suicide. I'm very, very fortunate not to have had my life touched by someone committing suicide, but I have seen some people battle depression. It's really strange, from the outside, their lives look just fine and they seem happy, but you can never really know for sure what is going on with them.

megotcash

27-09-2006 09:35:16

[quote3a5f02d2ec="CollidgeGraduit"]Nobody knows if it was really an attempted suicide or not, so just wait until the official word is out.

Besides, severe depression can be caused by a chemical imbalance. You never know, and it's not a good idea to rush to judgement at all in these kinds of situations.[/quote3a5f02d2ec]

ya, that is true. the article really didn't say more than the fact that he admittedly was "trying to harm himslef" and that he taken a large amount of pills. heck, it could've been an imbalance from the pills that caused the problem. i'm sure we'll here more of it.

Dave82

27-09-2006 09:38:47

[quote46b0aa3039="GCY"]man ppl, u actually believed this shit?
Hes a attention hog!!!! thats all to it!
If he really wants to commit suicide, why not do so with a gun or knife? instead hes using pills where the success rate is minimal.[/quote46b0aa3039]

Where are you getting your info from?? You really know for a fact that the suicide rate is minimal with pills as compared to knives??

Some people drown themselves in a bath tub, others take a gun to the head. I would NEVER kill myself, but if i had to it would definately be through method of pills.

The whole concept of suicide never made sense to me. You die and leave others to grieve/suffer/wonder/live with loss and burden. I am not saying the suicide is "selfish" because i'm sure the person suffering is not thinking about harming others; they are probably focused on their own pain.
Fortunately i have never experienced what someone who wants to committ suicide goes through. I am sure it is a lot of pain and suffering. I just think that if you were so concerned about your family then you would atleast try and get help first. IT is strange to say, but i would understand more if a person who is actually IN a mental institution committing suicide, because they tried to get help atleast and it didnt stop their pain/whatever. Not that it's justified, but i could see the person as a little less selfish becasue at least they tried.
But someone who hasnt gotten a high degree of treatment committing suicide.... that is like giving up without trying. And the fact that you dont try to get help makes it sad. Maybe he got therapy for his depression, but if you wanna kill yourself, you owe it to the people who love you to seek professional help first (meaning in-patient treatment).

GCY, you say he is an "Attention hog"..... well maybe it is a cry for help. I did not read the article, but i'm assuming it was he himself that called the ambulance, so i'm guessing he felt as though he wanted to die, but wanted help.

What about that myspace orange kid who killed himself? If i was a betting person, i would have guessed it was a cry for help and he would not have killed himself. I mean, didnt he write on his journal that he wanted to kill himself and then all his friends started messaging for him not to?? THAT seemed like attention hog..... but infact he DID end up taking his life. So you never know with "failed" suicide attempt what is in reality an "attention hog," cry for help, or a definate attempt at taking your life.

How would you even explain the concept of suicide to someone fighting cancer? Or someone who cannot have children? Or someone who just lost their sister??
People are fighting wars to live, and others are just taking their lives? If you are THAT depressed in life, then seek mental help.... not a pill bottle.

Wolfeman

27-09-2006 09:46:38

I think its a real attempt. He is nuts and every team he has been on has tried to get him to go to a shrink and he refuses. You don't take 35 painkillers without something wrong...

justinag06

27-09-2006 09:49:29

Everything he does has to be larger than life, he is obviously depressed about something. He could have attempted suicide though, knowing if he called for help he would be saved in time.

Lets see what happens with his season...

Dave82

27-09-2006 09:51:36

[quote832ccebf16="justinag06"]
Lets see what happens with his season...[/quote832ccebf16]

you think they will allow him to play so soon?

justinag06

27-09-2006 10:00:49

trust me right now everyone in dallas is pissed off. Parcells is so angry right now at Jerry Jones for going behind his back to sign T.O., that he won't resign with the cowboys. Once again Jerry Jones fucks things up. Jerry Jones is so upset because the Cowboy's are very close to a playoff team, and this might be the straw that breaks that.

T.O. will be out of the hospital in a few days, and either all fired up, and "I've found a new life, I'm a changed man, the lord saved me." and will have the comeback of the season and play great, and everyone will like him because they feel sorry for him. He is a tragic hero this way.

Or he is seriously fucked up, doesn't play the rest of the season, and probably retires.

I predict him playing against the eagles

bballp6699

27-09-2006 10:04:52

I was just listening to the local sports radio station and they said they didn't see how in ANY way, they would let him play for the rest of the season.

justinag06

27-09-2006 10:07:47

he is expected to make a statement soon, so we will all know soon.

off to espn news I go

bballp6699

27-09-2006 10:08:37

Yeah, 130 Eastern, but I have to leave for work at 130...

FUCK!

justinag06

27-09-2006 10:14:15

he is back home with his family, and is denying that it was a suicide attempt. He doesn't sound like he isn't playing this season again.

bballp6699

27-09-2006 10:17:55

I don't think he'll be playing for a couple weeks...

Just because he claims he didn't commit suicide doesn't mean that Parcells wants to deal with this shit.

TryinToGetPaid

27-09-2006 10:18:37

Bah. They are all down playing it as just an allergic reaction. If you had an allergic reaction and someone asks you "Did you take the whole bottle of pills?" You can answer and understand someone talking to you.

And I do not think that supplements + pain pills is not a bad combo? And even if he did mix the two, where did the other 35 pills go? Sold em or just ate em?

How can you say that if you eat 35 pain pills, are fucked up outta your mind, is not a suicide attempt. 35 is a lot of pills to take, depending on the strength of the pill and the kind of the pill.

justinag06

27-09-2006 10:23:52

oh i'm not saying he is telling the truth about the allergic reaction at all. I'm just saying we have no idea what really happened. He could've been hammered and taken to many pills, is that a suicide attempt? Kinda...

bottom line I don't think anyone is going to hold him back from playing. He will go on the field when he wants to, and it sounds like he wants to get back on the field as soon as that hand is healed.

T.O is speaking in the next 10 minutes lets see what he says

EDIT eh now it's 315 ET

kdollar

27-09-2006 11:20:19

sometimes it blows my mind how people can be depressed, hes a gifted athlete with no health problems, along with tons of money....he should find a way to be okay.

Dave82

27-09-2006 11:26:00

[quote216e36da82="kdollar"]sometimes it blows my mind how people can be depressed, hes a gifted athlete with no health problems, along with tons of money....he should find a way to be okay.[/quote216e36da82]

yea, i see things this way too. People in other parts of the world are suffering in ways we cant even understand. It's like, "f-ing learn to appreciate LIFE"

FilosopherStoner

27-09-2006 12:20:31

[quote7237601e5b="kdollar"]sometimes it blows my mind how people can be depressed, hes a gifted athlete with no health problems, along with tons of money....he should find a way to be okay.[/quote7237601e5b]

Tons of money isn't everything in life. Just because he is richer than any of us would ever be, doesn't mean he can't have a lot of social/mental problems.

doylnea

27-09-2006 12:23:43

[quote991c55c07e="FilosopherStoner"][quote991c55c07e="kdollar"]sometimes it blows my mind how people can be depressed, hes a gifted athlete with no health problems, along with tons of money....he should find a way to be okay.[/quote991c55c07e]

Tons of money isn't everything in life. Just because he is richer than any of us would ever be, doesn't mean he can't have a lot of social/mental problems.[/quote991c55c07e]

And often-times the most brilliant / gifted person teeters on the edge of brilliance and insanity. Being able to to stay on the brilliance side makes them successful (by whatever measure you're using).

jadem

27-09-2006 12:40:15

Depression can be caused by a genetic chemical imbalance. I am living proof of that. I suffer from depression, as does my mother, and her mother. My grandma isn't taking anti-depressants, but my mother and I both are. Brandon was skeptical at first, but once he saw that HUGE difference in my behavior and moods, he realized that I did have a chemical imbalance.

People ask me how can I be depressed when I'm getting married? Shouldn't it be a happy occasion? Sure, it is, I'm excited, but the stress on top of the chemical imbalance was really doing damage. I was missing one or two days of work a week, and I wasn't functional.

Don't chalk depression up to someone being sad about their life...it's not at ALL what it's about. Therapy can help someone in that situation, but not in mine.

Dave82

27-09-2006 13:20:51

[quoted2a47493b7="doylnea"][quoted2a47493b7="FilosopherStoner"][quoted2a47493b7="kdollar"]sometimes it blows my mind how people can be depressed, hes a gifted athlete with no health problems, along with tons of money....he should find a way to be okay.[/quoted2a47493b7]

Tons of money isn't everything in life. Just because he is richer than any of us would ever be, doesn't mean he can't have a lot of social/mental problems.[/quoted2a47493b7]

And often-times the most brilliant / gifted person teeters on the edge of brilliance and insanity. Being able to to stay on the brilliance side makes them successful (by whatever measure you're using).[/quoted2a47493b7]

He said ALONG with money, indicating his emphasis was NOT on money, it was on the fact he was talented and healthy.

[quoted2a47493b7="jadem"]Don't chalk depression up to someone being sad about their life...it's not at ALL what it's about. Therapy can help someone in that situation, but not in mine.[/quoted2a47493b7]

The is a huge difference between depression and suicidal depression.

My point was that if you are suicidal, you should consider therapy before considering suicide. Neuro-science, dendrites, hormones, cell receptors aside, the exact cause of depression is unknow. THere is NO set cure. My brother suffered from depression and still does. It is never completely "cured." I think the idea that therapy cannot help is closed minded. Therapy alone cannot cure depression, but it certainly helps. The toughest part with my bro was finding a medication that fit him.
Medication + Therapy + family support + group support is a good path for depression

I understand that depression isnt always caused my lossing your job. Chemical imbalance and/or both are factors. I think the point he, or rather me was trying to make is that it is difficult for us (people who do not suffer from depression) to understand how people living happily in America can be that depressed when you see what is going on elsewhere.

I get that you are sad and depressed and cannot help it. I just dont understand [bd2a47493b7]taking your life[/bd2a47493b7]. If i were that depressed that i could no longer bear living, i would hope that i would be strong enough to tell myself that inspite of the fact that i cannot bear the thoughts and feelings inside me, i will stay alive if not to help the others suffering MORE than me. I would hope i would realize that the little children being raped in Africa and around the world suffer MORE THAN ME and i should live on to help them.

There is a huge difference between depression and suicide. Or maybe, rather a difference between thinking of yourself and others.

justinag06

27-09-2006 13:26:00

well if you aren't depressed you can't understand what it's like now can you?

Dave82

27-09-2006 13:28:30

[quotef7fc7355ac="justinag06"]well if you aren't depressed you can't understand what it's like now can you?[/quotef7fc7355ac]

And i said that, however does anything justify taking your life?? Even SEVERE depression???

I guess that is debatable. In my opinion, no. What would taking your life solve?? YOUR pain basically. What about those you leave behind? Not to mention if you believe in God then you have to explain to God why you justified taking away the biggest and most significant gift he/she gave you

Dave82

27-09-2006 13:32:32

[quotee828e89d9c="justinag06"]well if you aren't depressed you can't understand what it's like now can you?[/quotee828e89d9c]

So although i cannot understand severe depression, i can understand the results that suicide leaves behind.

My brother is now in med school pursing psychiatry. He wants to help people who were in his place. He feels he, having gone through something that is possibly similar to what they are going through, will help him help them.

Wow, isnt it amazing how some peopel kill themselves and others turn their pain into helping others in the same boat??

justinag06

27-09-2006 13:56:14

Different people are going to handle situations differently than others. I don't agree with your aggressive stand on this issue at all, and am going to remove myself from further discussion with you.

jy3

27-09-2006 13:56:31

i think it is important to realize that judging someone's irrational thoughts thru rational means is just plain...well...irrational. it is irrational b/c it does not make sense.
such is depression and the thought of suicide.

Dave82

27-09-2006 14:08:51

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
I personally look from the perspective of what does suicide leave behind. Your problems are "solved." [baaa033876e]Irrational or rational, no one can argue that suicide ends with the person dying[/baaa033876e]. Because it does not. There is always the ones who suffer afterward.
In general do not put myself first. Obviously this isnt the case with everyone. Or maybe from their opinion the remendous amount of pain they feel takes precidence to what their actions will put upon others.
I would hope that i (or anyone for that matter) never get to a point where i want to kill myself. If i do however, i hope i can think of others first inspite of my blinded judgement.

Perhaps you view suicide as a means to end pain. How ideologically inconsistant is that! You leave nothing but pain behind you.

You may feel my arguement is irrational..... but hey, ever consider that suicide is irrational?? Something for you to think about.

kdollar

27-09-2006 14:13:18

i said along with money.....thanks for dave82 helping me out.

first off he doesnt have cancer or aids, hes not missing 2 legs or an arm, or have any weird morphisms, and will never have to worry about where his next meal will come from, in my opinion if you have any depressions beyond that its b/c your religion isnt intact.

but thats a separate topic, so dont start jumbling up this thread on religion.

to has more than ample opportunity in this world, and blessed physically and financially, and obviously isnt some crazy weirdo or he would be in a mental hospital, so its all by choice .......and personally thats just pathetic.

CollidgeGraduit

27-09-2006 14:44:54

[quote00fcf75936="kdollar"]
first off he doesnt have cancer or aids, hes not missing 2 legs or an arm, or have any weird morphisms, and will never have to worry about where his next meal will come from, in my opinion if you have any depressions beyond that its b/c your religion isnt intact.[/quote00fcf75936]

So you're arguing the fact that depression can be caused by a chemical inbalance?

kdollar

27-09-2006 14:49:22

[quotebcac40d231="CollidgeGraduit"][quotebcac40d231="kdollar"]
first off he doesnt have cancer or aids, hes not missing 2 legs or an arm, or have any weird morphisms, and will never have to worry about where his next meal will come from, in my opinion if you have any depressions beyond that its b/c your religion isnt intact.[/quotebcac40d231]

So you're arguing the fact that depression can be caused by a chemical inbalance?[/quotebcac40d231]

nah, im sure there are documented cases of mental imbalances, but im also sure there are medications available. in each of its own, every case should be treated individually. not all depression is from chemical imbalances.

johnjimjones

27-09-2006 14:49:28

There's no such thing as a chemical imbalance. He needs to excercise and eat right to make that go away.

Dave82

27-09-2006 14:54:30

[quoteb0069f40d5="johnjimjones"]There's no such thing as a chemical imbalance. He needs to excercise and eat right to make that go away.[/quoteb0069f40d5]

i disagree! My brother was very healthy, ate healthy, and ran daily.

However, exercise and eating healthy and sleeping at night (vs during the daylight) play a huge factor. It will not "cure" depression though. It can help balance your hormones though (which i know you dont believe, but if you knew a depressed person i think you would change your mind).
With medication it is difficult to excercise regularly and sleep regularly (my bro took some medication that knocked him out), a depressed individual needs to try and work with find a medication that fits them and figure out what time of day to take it.

johnjimjones

27-09-2006 14:57:35

[quote8992ff1736="Dave82"][quote8992ff1736="johnjimjones"]There's no such thing as a chemical imbalance. He needs to excercise and eat right to make that go away.[/quote8992ff1736]

i disagree! My brother was very healthy, ate healthy, and ran daily.

However, exercise and eating healthy and sleeping at night (vs during the daylight) play a huge factor. It will not "cure" depression though. It can help balance your hormones though (which i know you dont believe, but if you knew a depressed person i think you would change your mind).
With medication it is difficult to excercise regularly and sleep regularly (my bro took some medication that knocked him out), a depressed individual needs to try and work with find a medication that fits them and figure out what time of day to take it.[/quote8992ff1736]

lol Just before my comment gets out of hand, I was just trying to immitate Tom Cruise.

kdollar

27-09-2006 15:00:16

jjj has always had jokes.

Dave82

27-09-2006 15:00:25

[quotef8161f337e="johnjimjones"]lol Just before my comment gets out of hand, I was just trying to immitate Tom Cruise.[/quotef8161f337e]

Oh oh oh oops. Sorry, the lawyer blood flared up there for a sec. Yea those crazy scientology folk. Good luck Kate and Sushi lol

JUNIOR6886

27-09-2006 15:09:06

he didn't succeed.... (