mpbollywoodking

26-09-2006 11:03:43

http//www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx?mg_ID=10010#ie7interface

CollidgeGraduit

26-09-2006 11:05:41

Lots of browsers use tabs now

hehehhehe

26-09-2006 11:21:49

Microsoft has always copied others. Why should we be so surprised now?

Wolfeman

26-09-2006 11:22:16

Microsoft lets other people innovate then they steal and bastardize...

Tholek

26-09-2006 11:50:47

This is news?

The beta has been out for ages, and it was always tabbed. (Been several threads about it here)

Akademikz

26-09-2006 11:54:13

Even if it has tabs now who cares. Firefox is better and that's just the bottom line. P

jy3

26-09-2006 12:43:05

is the beta done with? that beta screwed up my pc when i installed it. waiting for it to be more stable

Wolfeman

26-09-2006 12:46:39

Its RC1 now...

J4320

26-09-2006 12:46:55

[quote280d926470="jy3"]is the beta done with? that beta screwed up my pc when i installed it. waiting for it to be more stable[/quote280d926470]

Yeah I think it is because it doesn't say beta on the page anymore. Needless to say, I'm sticking with Firefox.

Tholek

26-09-2006 12:47:00

I won't touch it again until there's a full release.

Tholek

26-09-2006 12:50:04

Well, you know what I mean...

VrExe

26-09-2006 13:35:24

Well the thing is. People send in thousands of suggestions to Microsoft regarding their products. So I wouldn't say they "copied" but rather "used" the suggestions that obviously came from users who also probably uses Firefox.

PS looks bad in my opinion, I'm gonna stick with IE 6.

johnjimjones

26-09-2006 16:22:30

If their "security" features are anything like Windows XP then I won't be able to do much with IE.

Daggoth

26-09-2006 18:53:40

On a side note, does anyone know how to fix the error "Shockwave Performed an Illegal Operation" bug in FF?

Nimh

26-09-2006 21:44:17

My dad did a little test on his computer. He opened the new IE7, and counted the amount of time it took to load on his computer (approx 20 seconds). Then he opened firefox on the same computer with the same website as the homepage it took less than half the time to load (7 seconds). He's now getting a dual-boot Mac because he's convinced Vista's going to be a failure.

The point I was really making is FireFox kicks IE's ass, no question.

Tholek

27-09-2006 04:30:13

[quote21b6f83e6a="Nimh"]My dad did a little test on his computer. He opened the new IE7, and counted the amount of time it took to load on his computer (approx 20 seconds). Then he opened firefox on the same computer with the same website as the homepage it took less than half the time to load (7 seconds). He's now getting a dual-boot Mac because he's convinced Vista's going to be a failure.

The point I was really making is FireFox kicks IE's ass, no question.[/quote21b6f83e6a]

While I agree, FF still takes longer to load than IE6. I'm not pushing IE6, but it's true.

CollidgeGraduit

27-09-2006 04:48:25

[quote6022f8c53b="Nimh"]My dad did a little test on his computer. He opened the new IE7, and counted the amount of time it took to load on his computer (approx 20 seconds). Then he opened firefox on the same computer with the same website as the homepage it took less than half the time to load (7 seconds). He's now getting a dual-boot Mac because he's convinced Vista's going to be a failure.

The point I was really making is FireFox kicks IE's ass, no question.[/quote6022f8c53b]

Word takes longer to load on my PC than Notepad.

Nimh

27-09-2006 10:26:47

[quote433cee3065="Tholek"][quote433cee3065="Nimh"]My dad did a little test on his computer. He opened the new IE7, and counted the amount of time it took to load on his computer (approx 20 seconds). Then he opened firefox on the same computer with the same website as the homepage it took less than half the time to load (7 seconds). He's now getting a dual-boot Mac because he's convinced Vista's going to be a failure.

The point I was really making is FireFox kicks IE's ass, no question.[/quote433cee3065]

While I agree, FF still takes longer to load than IE6. I'm not pushing IE6, but it's true.[/quote433cee3065]

Really? If that's true, then it just strengthens the point even more the new Microsoft products suck. And anyway, IE6 doesn't have tabs, and a lof of things that FF has, so upgrading to IE7 to get those features makes it load longer. So you really want FF over IEanything.

And CG, what's your point?

CollidgeGraduit

27-09-2006 10:46:27

[quote665036e147="Nimh"][quote665036e147="Tholek"][quote665036e147="Nimh"]My dad did a little test on his computer. He opened the new IE7, and counted the amount of time it took to load on his computer (approx 20 seconds). Then he opened firefox on the same computer with the same website as the homepage it took less than half the time to load (7 seconds). He's now getting a dual-boot Mac because he's convinced Vista's going to be a failure.

The point I was really making is FireFox kicks IE's ass, no question.[/quote665036e147]

While I agree, FF still takes longer to load than IE6. I'm not pushing IE6, but it's true.[/quote665036e147]

Really? If that's true, then it just strengthens the point even more the new Microsoft products suck. And anyway, IE6 doesn't have tabs, and a lof of things that FF has, so upgrading to IE7 to get those features makes it load longer. So you really want FF over IEanything.

And CG, what's your point?[/quote665036e147]

My point is that load times alone don't dictate how good something is. I'll give the finished product a good try before I decide whether or not it sucks. I know if IE6 had tabs, I would prefer it to FF. It seems to run slicker on my home PC and work PC, and a lot of sites still have FF-compatibility issues.

dmorris68

27-09-2006 15:09:27

Yeah, this is old news -- IE7 has been in alpha/beta for over a year with tabs. )

IE typically loads faster by default, for the simple reason that much of IE is already loaded as part of Windows system libraries. Firefox is completely self-contained, and must load itself in it's entirety each time. Also, the more extensions you have installed, the longer it takes to load.

However there are many tweaks for Firefox that improve load times. With my heavily modified FF, I don't notice a difference, and once loaded, FF actually surfs and navigates faster than IE for me.

I use IE only when a (poorly designed) site requires it or for Windows Updates, and then it's usually through FF via the IE Tab or View in IE extensions.

Tholek

27-09-2006 15:23:51

[quotec60b5ea66b="dmorris68"]Yeah, this is old news -- IE7 has been in alpha/beta for over a year with tabs. )

IE typically loads faster by default, for the simple reason that much of IE is already loaded as part of Windows system libraries. Firefox is completely self-contained, and must load itself in it's entirety each time. Also, the more extensions you have installed, the longer it takes to load.

However there are many tweaks for Firefox that improve load times. With my heavily modified FF, I don't notice a difference, and once loaded, FF actually surfs and navigates faster than IE for me.

I use IE only when a (poorly designed) site requires it or for Windows Updates, and then it's usually through FF via the IE Tab or View in IE extensions.[/quotec60b5ea66b]

I'm with you on every point. Once in FF, pages load faster than in IE

I guess the main reason I continue to use IE so often, is because it saves favorites as shortcuts in folders, while FF saves them as a html page. The advantage of the IE method, is that I can edit favorites without starting the browser, and launch a page from the start menu. If I make FF the default browser, I can still launch those favorites from the start menu, but saving favorites within FF still goes to a html page. It would be cool if FF could also use the same method of creating shortcuts. I think I might finally wean myself off IE totally if that happened.

UniPrize Media

27-09-2006 16:20:48

IE is way faster than FF for me. I use FF just because of the TAB function. I am definately going to switch back to IE when they have it ready.

Nimh

27-09-2006 16:53:42

[quotef4cafe0868="CollidgeGraduit"][quotef4cafe0868="Nimh"][quotef4cafe0868="Tholek"][quotef4cafe0868="Nimh"]My dad did a little test on his computer. He opened the new IE7, and counted the amount of time it took to load on his computer (approx 20 seconds). Then he opened firefox on the same computer with the same website as the homepage it took less than half the time to load (7 seconds). He's now getting a dual-boot Mac because he's convinced Vista's going to be a failure.

The point I was really making is FireFox kicks IE's ass, no question.[/quotef4cafe0868]

While I agree, FF still takes longer to load than IE6. I'm not pushing IE6, but it's true.[/quotef4cafe0868]

And CG, what's your point?[/quotef4cafe0868]

My point is that load times alone don't dictate how good something is. I'll give the finished product a good try before I decide whether or not it sucks. I know if IE6 had tabs, I would prefer it to FF. It seems to run slicker on my home PC and work PC, and a lot of sites still have FF-compatibility issues.[/quotef4cafe0868]

Yeah, but i was just saying how when IE implements the same features as FF, it loads slower. Also, there's been a few times, but generally I've never had FF-compatibility issues.

podseeker

28-09-2006 15:56:11

No reason to use IE anyway. Or any Microsoft products. They always seem behind the curve.

CollidgeGraduit

28-09-2006 19:30:26

[quote9b7451e48f="podseeker"]No reason to use IE anyway. Or any Microsoft products. They always seem behind the curve.[/quote9b7451e48f]

The Microsoft Office suite has some pretty damn cool integration in the office setting. When someone can rival the cross-product integration, wide array of products, and ease of use (which is very important in the corporate setting), I'll agree with you that they're behind the curve.