Need Wireless Router Help

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=46289

tjwor

25-09-2006 22:15:57

Ok, so I bought a belkin wireless router from walmart, the cheapest they had (I think $40) because i'm a poor college student and wanted wireless in my room. So I got it set up and everything and working fine, excecpt when I try to play poker, it loses connection to the table and freezes up after a min or 2 at the table... It also disconnects from MSN randomly, although it doesn't seem to be doing it since I turned off the poker...

So, is there any setting I can change to fix this, or should I take this router back to walmart and buy a different one?

unknown uchiha

25-09-2006 22:23:04

From my experience, wireless is horrible on a college campus when it comes to AIM/MSN/YIM/etc. and online games of any type that results in connecting to interact with other people. It just plain out doesn't work at my campus.

Does your wired connection work playing poker/going on MSN?

BTW I have the same router, Belkin 54g right? I use that one at home and it works perfectly fine.

tjwor

25-09-2006 22:29:38

wired it works great, my brother had the same problem last year in his apartment and he just plays poker wired... but i'm seeing if there is a way around it...

unknown uchiha

25-09-2006 22:31:54

AFAIK, not on my campus. However you can ask around to see if there is.

tjwor

26-09-2006 19:54:01

k, i need new help, i took the belkin back and got a linksys, now it says it can't connect to the internet, yet i am sitting here on the wireless posting this right now... the only problem is I can't get past that stage in the set up to put a password on it... anyone know how to manually go in and put a password on it?

megotcash

26-09-2006 20:48:42

ya, i was going to say that the belkin problem is mainly a problem with the fact you are using a mac. my first router was a belkin, and i ended up taking it back as well. now i'm using a super fast buffalo router, and love it.

umm, ok, as far as your password thing goes...
open you internet browser (probably firefox, right?), and type in 192.168.1.1 (i'm pretty sure that's linksys...sombeody correct me if wrong).

there you will be promted for a password, and this is only a password for the routher unit itself.

try un- root, no password; if that doesn't work, try un-root, pw-root.

one of those should work. if not, i'll look up what you should be using. anyways, in there you can edit your wirless preferences, and you should see an option to set up a WEP password or something of the sort. i think you can figure it out from there. good luck!

Nimh

26-09-2006 22:30:42

You got the right method, but I don't think the things you're putting in are correct. I set up my home wireless router, and I believe the ip is 192.168.1.100 (although try both, I'm not sure). For the password, just put admin for username, and nothing else. Otherwise, yeah, but double-check these things in the manual that came with it.