Another paypal being stupid thread(very long)

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=46213

downthesun

24-09-2006 08:15:45

I began selling items during this summer on ebay. I needed some money and I wanted to get rid of some junk, where better to sell than ebay since I already had about 190 feedback with only 5 negatives that took place many years a go and were from the other person I share the account with.

During the summer I had sold some items that went over 100s of dollars. There were also the other items that were between 10-50. In total I sold probably around 30-40 things on ebay. My feedback shot up to 250. No negative comments from anyone who purchased anything. I always/only ship out on Wednesdays and Thursdays. This was not a problem with any of my buyers. Until newmommy37 decided to rear her ugly head into my auction.

I was selling my old gameboy with 9 games and a cleaning cartridge. Wasn't expecting to get to much for it all and of course I didn't. It sold for 10.59 with 7.99 shipping on a Tuesday. A Tuesday, the day before the two days that I am able to ship out items. Well this buyer decides to pay two days later(Friday. So unfortunately for her she had to wait to the following week for the item. She messages me and says to PLEASE SHIP THIS OUT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, MY HAILEY'S FATHER JUST WENT BACK TO IRAQ AND THIS WILL HELP HER. Yes, she did type in all capitals and no I did not know who Hailey was. I did not message her back because I really didn't care what she had to say because no matter what her items were going out on Weds or Thurs.

That upcoming Tues I am getting her items packed up and ready to ship and I had noticed that the working gameboy(that she had won) and a broken gameboy were mixed up. Not having 4 AA batteries to test the gameboys again I message her and told her that they had been mixed up and that I would be shipping out both of them for no extra charge. I said I WOULD be shipping, obviously meaning I had not shipped yet. I received no reply or concern from her. Wednesday her items went out without a tracker. I only got trackers for items that went over 50 dollars. I didn't think anyone would try to steal 18 dollars worth of products from me. I was wrong. DEAD WRONG.

Three days later, Saturday, I receive a message from her stating that she doesn't believe I shipped out her items and that she was going to file a claim against me. I thought this was hilarious. I messaged her back basically with the message of HAHAHAHA. I log into paypal soon after and see she has filed this claim against me. This is copied and pasted from the exact dispute, this is what she said.

i bought this 10 days agao then he emailed and said he couldnt find the good gameboy or didnt have batteries to check the other one but still never sent anything i think i got ripped off here and want my money back

This was 3 days after I shipped. I left a message on the dispute resolution area and stated that she may have won the item 10 days prior but she did not buy the item 10 days ago. I also stated that I do not ship till Weds and Thurs and that she had missed the day after auction end shipping time due to her waiting 2 days to pay. I called paypal and explained that I only shipped out 3 days prior to her dispute being filed. I told them I did not purchase a tracker due to the price being so low on the auction. I explained to them that I hadn't had negative feedback in years and that 3 days was not enough time for an item to get to a place using media mail unless USPS had invented teleporters. They said, well she did pay 5 days ago, and I said media mail can take up to 5-9 days.

Twenty or so days went by, the end of August was upon me, the dispute time limit was about to come up. I figured she received her items and just felt really stupid at the fact that she had accused me of stealing from her. She escalated the dispute to a claim. So again I called paypal and this time I told them to look at her feedback on ebay. Most of her negative comments came from sellers. She had a total of 12000+ feedback, about 150 negative comments. I gave them examples from her negative comments that users had left and where she had left follow up comments. One of her follow up comments consisted of " I SENT THIS PACKAGE TO DAN IN IRAQ AND IT CONTAINED HUMAN HAIRS." Yes, again she typed in all capitals. She also likes to call people jerks in their feedback. I told them to look at other follow up comments she had left in which she accused sellers of saying her son was ugly and that he deserved to die and that they were glad that he died. All of those ebayers said that she was crazy and that they did not say any of that and that they did not mail her human hairs.

Even after all of that, paypal still requested a tracker even though I had told them that I had not gotten one. They told me to contact the ebay Trust and Safety department. I did, I told them to look at her feedback and told them that she was a shyster. This did nothing to help me because obviously a user with 250 feedback is worthless to a person that has 12000.

So on September 11th, paypal decided to give her her refund of 18.59. I couldn't believe they did this. I was shocked that they would side with this crazy woman. They emailed me and asked me if I would transfer funds from my bank account into my paypal account so I could give her the refund. I emailed them and laughed and said I would never refund that shyster's money and I told them their investigation team was worthless because an investigation requires more than just asking the seller for a tracker.

I gave in a few days ago as I needed to continue selling and accepting and sending money via paypal. I transfered the funds from my paypal, they gave me the option to either send her the money or for them to send her the money, I decided to go with them sending her the money so I wouldn't feel as bad.

I think that about covers the whole thing. If anyone lives in Ohio and wants to pay a visit to this woman for me let me know! If you read this whole thing, and to the tl;dr people, I know how you feel.

Dave82

24-09-2006 08:48:27

i read your whole post and i am glad i did. I plan on selling stuff on ebay soon, so it was beneficial to see people cannot be trusted no matter what.

If you send something priority then delivery confirmation is [bd0dfc614fd]only 45 cents[/bd0dfc614fd]. I think it's worth it.

newmommy37, look at her "about me" page. It's like a life journal.

On a side note, here are some users who left funny feedback
andy46477
mizzelphug

dmorris68

24-09-2006 09:53:22

She sounds like a nut, but let this be a lesson to you -- if your eBay reputation is worth more to you than 50 cents, pay extra for the freakin' tracking. ;) Tracking is not only a convenience to the buyer, but is also a form of protection for the seller, as in this case.

I always provide tracking no matter how I ship, whether USPS, UPS, or FedEx (of course with the latter two, tracking is included at no additional cost). Tracking is extremely important with mail/online transactions. If you had simply done that it would have saved you that $18.59 and the blemish on your record.

I'm actually not surprised PayPal and eBay didn't rule in your favor just because this nut has left kooky feedback for others. Unless they have complaints about her not paying, or claiming non-shipment against a large number of sellers, they're going to take her side -- especially since you couldn't produce tracking and her feedback is so high. Unfortunately, being a crackpot isn't against the TOS of either site. lol

What you might do is give her time to receive the shipment, then e-mail her and NICELY (not with HAHAHAHA, which is immature and never advised when trying to resolve an outstanding dispute) request that she resend payment once she confirms the item works. Remind her that she can see from the postmark when it was sent, which is when you claimed, and that she owes you the money. Appeal to her conscience, without using threats or insults. You'd be surprised what that can accomplish. She might even be willing to send PayPal a note explaining that it was a misunderstanding and everything is fine now.

downthesun

24-09-2006 10:41:33

I have another ebay story. This recently took place. It has to do with selling my PS2. I listed the auction with the PS2 console, the cables and two controllers. The bidder took a week to pay for the items. During that week he asked me if I could throw in a free game, I said I would give him the Sims, he replied with, sorry my son has that already, meaning he didn't want it. He then asked if I could give him some action games, I said those games weren't meant for a young child, he then stated that I had misunderstood and that he wanted those games for himself. I said, hey lets act like we have a contract here and stick to what was originally in the auction. He then said, ok ok, lets stick to the original agreement of the sims, I said nope, sorry you turned that game down. Shipping day comes, and like a dummy, I couldn't find the AV cables that I had pictured in the auction. Everything was together on top of my tv, I tore my room apart looking for those cables, but I was unable to find them. I told him I was going to ship out everything else and purchase him new cables and send them to him. He replied back after I shipped out the items and copied and pasted what I said in the auction page. And said WE HAD A CONTRACT GIVE ME MY CABLES. I kept telling him I would buy him new ones, he eventually replied and said BUY ME NEW ONES AND I WANT THEM HERE IN 3 DAYS. I bought new cables right away via another ebay seller and I had the cables shipped directly to him. Well, I guess he had received the cables on saturday because today he messages me with this gem

You could of had some common courtesy to send cable in 3 days at least, You were paid in full! Shithead. You should learn how to make your customers happy after you f...cked up with transaction. I requested you send cable immediately and you chose to send it the slowest way possible, bastard. This console better work, cause if it don't I will be at your doorstep, Im tired of typing. Tired!!!!

Daggoth

24-09-2006 10:48:54

Some of these problems would not occur if you were more responsible. You should have bought the cables before shipping out the entire package.

downthesun

24-09-2006 10:55:46

[quote3c85b83c63="Daggoth"]Some of these problems would not occur if you were more responsible. You should have bought the cables before shipping out the entire package.[/quote3c85b83c63]

Well, I asked him what he wanted me to do. I messaged him before I shipped out the package and I said I would buy him new cables and he declined and said he would be shipping the items back. I would have purchased them right after I sent out the ps2 if he agreed to letitng me do that, but he declined and he later c hanged his mind when he received the ps2.

Admin

24-09-2006 11:01:31

consider $18 your penalty for committing mail fraud, a felony.

downthesun

24-09-2006 11:12:26

[quote5fa23dc9e0="Admin"]consider $18 your penalty for committing mail fraud, a felony.[/quote5fa23dc9e0]

I didn't really ship out media mail, I shipped out what my post office calls "first class" and its just as cheap and takes just as long, so I list the auction as media mail. I didn't fraud the postal service.

Darkside

24-09-2006 11:14:42

[quote64d8a6ca8b="Admin"]consider $18 your penalty for committing mail fraud, a felony.[/quote64d8a6ca8b]

I fail to see how sending two systems instead of one as mail fraud when he notifed the buyer.

Admin

24-09-2006 11:28:49

[quote6024a9abf9="Darkside"][quote6024a9abf9="Admin"]consider $18 your penalty for committing mail fraud, a felony.[/quote6024a9abf9]

I fail to see how sending two systems instead of one as mail fraud when he notifed the buyer.[/quote6024a9abf9]

it's mail fraud to use media mail to send things that aren't bound printed material and/or cds, dvds or cassettes.

and frankly i don't believe you, downthesun. USPS limits first class mail to 13 ounces or less. do you know how much 13 ounces is? it's significantly less than one pound. i refuse to believe that TWO gameboys, 9 games, and a cleaning cartridge weigh 13 ounces or less.

megotcash

24-09-2006 18:13:26

also, just a sweet tip. if you are shipping priority mail and you buy your postage labels oniline (at least through ebay/paypal), delivery confirmation is FREE! not a big deal to save ya 50 cents, but it can add up if you are doing 30-40 items.

also...just from my experience, some people can really be jerkfaces (lady in case 1). i think the only way around it is to ship your products as fast as possible, and keep documentation of everything (emails, receipts, etc.). i know you probably clearly stated that you only shipped items on wednesday and thursday, but some people won't read it, they'll get pissed off, and they'll blame you. it sucks..but it's ebay.

jy3

24-09-2006 18:22:56

remember too that getting a tracker is free to you, just add it in the shipping that people pay on the auction. i use trackers for everything - sending ebay items, sending stuff back from trials if that happens, and sending in approval forms.

kidd2108

24-09-2006 20:13:14

You can get free tracking/delivery confirmation from usps.com. I think you have to print it out.

dmorris68

24-09-2006 20:29:46

[quoteaa435f410d="kidd2108"]You can get free tracking/delivery confirmation from usps.com. I think you have to print it out.[/quoteaa435f410d]
Yes, but only on Priority Mail or higher shipping. Not on First Class or Media Mail. PayPal shipping does do First Class and Media Mail, but I'm not sure the DC is free then. Doesn't matter, it's well worth it -- like someone said, it's a fee you just add into your s/h cost.

kidd2108

24-09-2006 20:31:20

[quotec9b77deccf="dmorris68"][quotec9b77deccf="kidd2108"]You can get free tracking/delivery confirmation from usps.com. I think you have to print it out.[/quotec9b77deccf]
Yes, but only on Priority Mail or higher shipping. Not on First Class or Media Mail. PayPal shipping does do First Class and Media Mail, but I'm not sure the DC is free then. Doesn't matter, it's well worth it -- like someone said, it's a fee you just add into your s/h cost.[/quotec9b77deccf]

didnt know that....never used it....now i know. hehe

ClassAct

25-09-2006 11:44:35

I hear ya, same thing actually just happened to me, my listing states i ship 1-3 days, usally next day but shipped on 3rd day cause I was buzy, was a gift card so just popped it in an envelope, now after like 5 days since she paid im getting mails asking me where it is, i kindly tell her i dont control the post office, so she doesnt mail me, i log in to check my mail and i have a buyer complaint, and like you have no tracking number cause she had great feedback and didnt think shed rip me off, so now im stuck, no way I can prove she has it (which i think she does)

So now im gonna be forced to refund her on top of the fact she has a gift card for 45 bucks, should I call (aeropostal) and tell them it was lost of stolen, I still have the receipt so hopefully they can cancel the card and issue me a new one.

JOSHBOX

25-09-2006 12:05:52

I sold a dreamcast on ebay and I had some really scratched up games that didnt work so for some reason i thought I would give these games to them for free. So I packed up the dreamcast with these really scratched games. Next thing I know I get an email from the buyer saying "this dreamcast dosent work!". It took me a while to realize that they were trying to play the broken games, so i emaild them back describing what I think was going on. Next day I have positive feedback from them. I will never create headache for myself again.

zr2152

25-09-2006 12:22:53

[quotefd4dc4df42="downthesun"] If anyone lives in Ohio and wants to pay a visit to this woman for me let me know! [/quotefd4dc4df42]

Hey i live in Ohio, where is she located? LMAO

zdub08

25-09-2006 12:44:07

[quotee567affbf5="zr2152"][quotee567affbf5="downthesun"] If anyone lives in Ohio and wants to pay a visit to this woman for me let me know! [/quotee567affbf5]

Hey i live in Ohio, where is she located? LMAO[/quotee567affbf5]
same here, wheres she at?

Dave82

25-09-2006 13:15:19

[quote2ca13c009e="ClassAct"]So now im gonna be forced to refund her on top of the fact she has a gift card for 45 bucks, should I call (aeropostal) and tell them it was lost of stolen, I still have the receipt so hopefully they can cancel the card and issue me a new one.[/quote2ca13c009e]

Ugh, this happened to my friend. He sold a lowes gift on ebay. It was only $25 and he sold it off ebay for $22 + free shipping. Anyways he didnt get delivery confirmation because the person he sold it to had 500+ feedback, ALL positive. The dude said he never got it so my friend refunded the paypal.
[b2ca13c009e]
Here is the thing, when you call a store to cancel a gift card, they usually say "the back of the card states that we are not responsible for lost or stolen cards."[/b2ca13c009e]

Aero might be diff, but dont be surprised. The best thing you could do is refund the money and send a very KIND, POLITE email to the ebay buyer apologizing for the whole delay and nicely ask that if they receive the card in a mail a few days later PLEASE send the amount via paypal.

[u2ca13c009e]And then from your side, if you have the card number on the receipt you can always call and check the balance.[/u2ca13c009e] So if they claim they never got the card and the balance goes down, THEN shoot them an email about how wrong and dishonest that is to take money from someone, especially considering you were selling it for your brother who is mentally challenged and give them his email so they can personally explain to him why the world is filled with crooked people like them.

ClassAct

25-09-2006 13:24:47

# If your card was lost or stolen, please call the Aéropostale Gift Card Hotline at 1-800-832-0656.
# Aéropostale is not responsible for unauthorized use of Gift Cards.

Just read that on there site, hopefully they can track it with what was on the receipt from it.

Dave82

25-09-2006 13:37:07

[quotefc3b246868="ClassAct"]# If your card was lost or stolen, please call the Aéropostale Gift Card Hotline at 1-800-832-0656.
# Aéropostale is not responsible for unauthorized use of Gift Cards.

Just read that on there site, hopefully they can track it with what was on the receipt from it.[/quotefc3b246868]

Hopefully something can be done. Otherwise, try what i said.
[bfc3b246868]This is yet another case of why the 45cents is worth it[/bfc3b246868]. Like someone mentioned above, figure it into the shipping and handling. Or what i do, i make it optional (i ALWAYS purchase it, but just tell the buyer it is optional and they usually add it in paypal).

Oh, i just wanted to clarify, my friend WAS selling the Lowe's card for his brother, that wasnt to guilt trip the buyer.

Edit see if they can atleast give your the gift card number from your receipt so you can track it.

justinfreestuff

25-09-2006 13:37:30

tracking #'s don't always help with paypal disputes

i sold a 60gb ipod photo almost 2 years ago for $500, they paid, i shipped, 6 months go by, they requested a credit card chargeback out of the blue, paypal took my money, then they found me in favor with the tracking and everything - i get my money back, 3 more months go by, the buyer then requested another chargeback, and paypal took my money again, and i could do nothing

paypal is pretty fucked up

Dave82

25-09-2006 13:40:22

[quote77e5143bf8="justinfreestuff"]tracking #'s don't always help with paypal disputes

i sold a 60gb iPod photo almost 2 years ago for $500, they paid, i shipped, 6 months go by, they requested a credit card chargeback out of the blue, paypal took my money, then they found me in favor with the tracking and everything - i get my money back, 3 more months go by, the buyer then requested another chargeback, and paypal took my money again, and i could do nothing

paypal is pretty fucked up[/quote77e5143bf8]

wait..... why the second charge back??? It had to be because he claimed it was defective. Havent we learned from this thread that if the seller cannot provide a tracking number, then the buyer (even with poor feedback) wins... meaning vise versa should be true if you (the seller) HAS a tracking number

explain your case please bc i am curious.

justinfreestuff

25-09-2006 13:50:17

[quoted639cab667="Dave82"][quoted639cab667="justinfreestuff"]tracking #'s don't always help with paypal disputes

i sold a 60gb iPod photo almost 2 years ago for $500, they paid, i shipped, 6 months go by, they requested a credit card chargeback out of the blue, paypal took my money, then they found me in favor with the tracking and everything - i get my money back, 3 more months go by, the buyer then requested another chargeback, and paypal took my money again, and i could do nothing

paypal is pretty fucked up[/quoted639cab667]

wait..... why the second charge back??? It had to be because he claimed it was defective. Havent we learned from this thread that if the seller cannot provide a tracking number, then the buyer (even with poor feedback) wins... meaning vise versa should be true if you (the seller) HAS a tracking number

explain your case please bc i am curious.[/quoted639cab667]

i won the initial chargeback, and the buyer re-requested a chargeback again a couple months later. the process was identical to the first dispute, the only difference was that in the end PayPal screwed me out of $495, instead of returning the money to me, and then closed the dispute. i called them multiple times and checked the dispute console, and i had no recourse to re-open the dispute. it was pretty crappy

Dave82

25-09-2006 15:20:14

[quote48b4c836d0="justinfreestuff"][quote48b4c836d0="Dave82"][quote48b4c836d0="justinfreestuff"]tracking #'s don't alw[...]ucked up[/quote48b4c836d0]

wait..... w[...]m curious.[/quote48b4c836d0]

i won th[...]retty crappy[/quote48b4c836d0]

I'm asking though why the charge back? Was it ecause he said what you sold him was deffective, or vbecause he said he never got it??? Because if he said he never got it, you have a tracking number to prove it. (unless he said you mailed him a box with rocks in it...)

That is pretty shitty that you lost that case. There must be something you can do. How long ago was this? Did you call the 1-800 number and speak to someone??

hehehhehe

25-09-2006 15:42:00

He lost the chargeback since Paypal sucks. The buyer's cc company probably did the chargeback second time around and so Paypal decided to screw the seller.

justinfreestuff

25-09-2006 17:34:25

[quotef93baaa4af="Dave82"][quotef93baaa4af="justinfreestuff"][quotef93baaa4af="Dave82"][quotef93baaa4af="justinfreestuff"]tracking #'s don't alw[...]ucked up[/quotef93baaa4af]

wait..... w[...]m curious.[/quotef93baaa4af]

i won th[...]retty crappy[/quotef93baaa4af]

I'm asking though why the charge back? Was it ecause he said what you sold him was deffective, or vbecause he said he never got it??? Because if he said he never got it, you have a tracking number to prove it. (unless he said you mailed him a box with rocks in it...)

That is pretty shitty that you lost that case. There must be something you can do. How long ago was this? Did you call the 1-800 number and speak to someone??[/quotef93baaa4af]

it was not defective, it was brand new sealed inside the box, and i know he got it, because teh tracking results said DELIVERED, and the crappiest part was that i sold the iPod in January, and i never heard anything from the buyer until June. that's when they did the chargeback. yes, 6 MONTHS LATER out of the blue. by that time, the money was obviously spent, so that multiplied the shittiness

Dave82

25-09-2006 17:53:35

[quotec5e69f0e4e="justinfreestuff"]

it was not defective, it was brand new sealed inside the box, and i know he got it, because teh tracking results said DELIVERED, and the crappiest part was that i sold the iPod in January, and i never heard anything from the buyer until June. that's when they did the chargeback. yes, 6 MONTHS LATER out of the blue. by that time, the money was obviously spent, so that multiplied the shittiness[/quotec5e69f0e4e]

was there anything that you could have done to prevent it?? Because i dont want this to happen to me.
I dont keep any money in my paypal account, even though it is verified with a bank account. I just charge to credit cards.

justinfreestuff

26-09-2006 08:57:00

[quotecb53e0ae86="Dave82"][quotecb53e0ae86="justinfreestuff"]

it was not defective, it was brand new sealed inside the box, and i know he got it, because teh tracking results said DELIVERED, and the crappiest part was that i sold the iPod in January, and i never heard anything from the buyer until June. that's when they did the chargeback. yes, 6 MONTHS LATER out of the blue. by that time, the money was obviously spent, so that multiplied the shittiness[/quotecb53e0ae86]

was there anything that you could have done to prevent it?? Because i dont want this to happen to me.
I dont keep any money in my paypal account, even though it is verified with a bank account. I just charge to credit cards.[/quotecb53e0ae86]

absolutely.
don't use PayPal

Dave82

26-09-2006 11:04:36

[quote8db4d7c8f3="justinfreestuff"]

absolutely.
don't use PayPal[/quote8db4d7c8f3]

Then what is safer to use????