Graduate School

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=46164

burritopunk

23-09-2006 10:26:48

I've been really considering going to NYU for a Masters in Music Business. A great school in one of the best cities to live in for the music industry, I think it'd really help excel my career. I've been in contact with the school, but have yet to receive an answer reguarding requirements to get into the program. They say you hvae to have a Bachelors (a given) and a couple of letters of recommendation. I realize grades are an issue, but they give no minimum requirements.

My question is, does going to grad school for something like music business, or business in general require someone to simply pay and have good letters of recommendation, or are grades a primary factor?

tylerc

23-09-2006 10:46:25

With med school, do you think they accept anyone into their programs and let even the people with mediocre grades get in there and start cutting people up?

I'm sure grades are extremely important.

burritopunk

23-09-2006 11:20:54

I figured med and law school are a different story, but this music business masters takes only 2 years to complete, so I didn't know if you had to have a 4.0 or something.

kyks17

23-09-2006 11:29:25

to my knowledge, all masters programs are only 2 years. and since it is an advanced educational degree, grades are always an important factor, but it doesn't mean u need a 4.0

hehehhehe

23-09-2006 13:24:00

It really depends on your competition. If the school is supposed to bring in x number of students and your grades are good enough to place you within that x number, you should be good. Schools are a business, after all. Obviously, med school is tough to get in to because of the high level of competition, but a masters in music business I don't know (but my guess would be that the level is not that high). You can't compare it to grad schools in business in general (MBA?) either, since that is very competitive as well.

Dave82

23-09-2006 19:41:14

Have you taken the GRE? Or GMAT maybe in your case? I dont understand how you can do anything without that? That's like wanting to go to med school without taking an MCAT

Gigante

23-09-2006 21:46:52

[quote5ba9353703="burritopunk"]I've been really considering going to NYU for a Masters in Music Business. A great school in one of the best cities to live in for the music industry, I think it'd really help excel my career. I've been in contact with the school, but have yet to receive an answer reguarding requirements to get into the program. They say you hvae to have a Bachelors (a given) and a couple of letters of recommendation. I realize grades are an issue, but they give no minimum requirements.

My question is, does going to grad school for something like music business, or business in general require someone to simply pay and have good letters of recommendation, or are grades a primary factor?[/quote5ba9353703]

Grades are important because they can't let everyone in. They need something to compare with, and for many, that comes down to grades.

burritopunk

23-09-2006 21:49:51

I haven't taken the GRE yet, but that's a factor in acceptance as well. As i've been looking deeper into this, a lot of it rests on experience, letters of recommendation, your essay(s). and your undergrad work having to do with your subject. grades do mean something, but if you have a 4.0 but shitty credentials, theyre not letting you in because theyre not seeing potential. for instance, if you had a 2.5 for your first two years in college, but brought it up to a 3.5 by the time you graduated, many grad schools will look at that like "he learned to improve his study habits and got on the right track"

thanks for all the info though guys.

has anyone here taken the GRE?

Dave82

23-09-2006 22:01:04

[quotec2d2ba532d="burritopunk"]
has anyone here taken the GRE?[/quotec2d2ba532d]

I've taken the GRE, GMAT, and LSAT (I'm in law school now).

Go to your library and study the Kaplan/Princeton review books. Or get them off of ebay, even the 2001-2005 editions. They are really helpful. Also, there are TONS of online references.

Many people say you cant study/practice for these things, but they are idiots. My good friend studied for one year for his mcat (payed off because he got a 36 and got accepted to John Hopkins, Harvard, Yale..... but ultimately choose CWRU)

burritopunk

23-09-2006 23:13:04

Thanks a lot man.