help making a "magical" website...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=45995

Dave82

19-09-2006 12:10:00

okay okay, how do i even begin.....

My gf and her friends have little dogs (chihuahuas and such). She called me and wants me to make a website for them to use. She (of course) has requirements. She wants only "members" to have access to the page. Some members get so see more pages (her good friends) and others have access to less. But it isnt like there are two groups. She wants to moderate who can see what page. So i imagine they have to sign in with user names and passwords and she grants access of each page/section to each member.

I dont know anything else. I am not looking for opinions on what is going on (because i have no clue). I am just asking is this possible and if so how? Bravenet??? No?

She has seen a forum and doesnt like that type of set up.

kyks17

19-09-2006 12:16:53

well if it's going to use logins, it's going to need to be attached to a database anyway, so what i would do is make 2 groups, 1 for the good friends, 1 for everyone else. make an admin page for ur gf to use, and she can assign individual members to a particular group. then, based on the group, the site will decide what pages to grant access to or not.

Dave82

19-09-2006 12:19:16

thanks, any web tutorials for that?

FreeOffersNow

19-09-2006 12:26:52

If you have no idea how to do this...why did you volunteer? Or did she just assume you know what you're doing?

Anyway for the login/access you would simply set up a database and build build each page so that each page has a required access level (i.e. the pictures page requires access level 2...if you have access level 2 or higher you can access the page, otherwise either an alternative page loads for people without the required access level). The admin panel can be built such that she can edit a given member's access level with the click of a mouse.

KeithA

19-09-2006 12:29:26

[quote955e9cf08d="Dave82"]okay okay, how do i even begin.....

My gf and her friends have little dogs (chihuahuas and such). She called me and wants me to make a website for them to use.[/quote955e9cf08d]

A website for little dogs to use would certainly be magical in my book.

I would collect about $200 and hit rentacoder.com.

Dave82

19-09-2006 12:33:05

[quote9a739f002e="KeithA"]
A website for little dogs to use would certainly be magical in my book.

I would collect about $200 and hit rentacoder.com.[/quote9a739f002e]

The dogs arent the "magical" part....

It's her list of requirements for the site that make it so. She has about 50 weird things that are considered neccessary for her.

KeithA

19-09-2006 12:41:00

I know, i was kidding. It sounded like the site was for the dogs to use.

If you don't know what you're doing though, I'm serious about the rentacoder.com recommendation. The only other suggestion I have is to check this place out

www.sampa.com

Dave82

19-09-2006 13:02:43

ohhh... okay i cannot READ apparently.

oops, sorry Keith.

I guess with her requirements i should just get a coder. I just wanna make sure all that she wants is possible.

Those dogs are so spoiled. SHE is so spoiled -)

VrExe

19-09-2006 13:50:04

Why not just use a CMS system? If you use like PHP-Nuke, etc, they do everything for you. You just make it so that each member sign up require manual activation, so no public can sign up and have access to private areas. The only thing you would need then would be a good design template.

Dave82

19-09-2006 17:50:31

[quote10c480df66="VrExe"]Why not just use a CMS system? If you use like PHP-Nuke, etc, they do everything for you. You just make it so that each member sign up require manual activation, so no public can sign up and have access to private areas. The only thing you would need then would be a good design template.[/quote10c480df66]

that would be great... except i have no clue what is a CMS system or PHP-Nuke.

she does not want a forum look to it

VrExe

19-09-2006 18:14:06

well, it all depends on how you "dress" the script. But anyway, php-nuke or "cms" scripts are programs that install on your web server by using mysql database. it basically does everything to manage the website, hence the name Content Management System.

I'm not much of a programer, but if you need a "pretty" site. I'm your man-for-hire.