Google Toolbar (In IE6)

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=45986

Tholek

19-09-2006 08:41:04

Just the other day, the damned thing updated itself without my involvement (hate that), and aside from causing me to have to tweak its position, I think it's fucking up IE6 in another way.

Yeah, I use Firefox too, but I still use IE a lot, and despite tabs in FF, I like to open new windows in both (just used to it in IE). Well, I could open 20-30+ IE windows before the file menu disappears, and you eventually crash it, but now I can only do 3 or 4 before I reach that point.

When I disabled the toolbar, it was back to normal.

Anyone else encounter this? I'm guessing that I can't go back to the previous version since it's automatic, and I noticed the last time I saved the program file (had dictionary.com embedded in that version) trying to use it again after another unwilling update (it removed dictionary.com), it just didn't revert.

I actually use it, so this pretty much sucks.

VrExe

19-09-2006 13:56:05

Sometimes, if you go to downloads.com, they have archive links of old versions of files.

Make sure you uncheck some stuff while installing like choice to allow sending anonymous info about what sites you go and updating the toolbar automatically.

Tholek

19-09-2006 19:26:22

[quoteb4e801ed28="VrExe"]Sometimes, if you go to downloads.com, they have archive links of old versions of files.[/quoteb4e801ed28]

Considering it automatically updates itself, there's no point. (

[quoteb4e801ed28="VrExe"]Make sure you uncheck some stuff while installing like choice to allow sending anonymous info about what sites you go and updating the toolbar automatically.[/quoteb4e801ed28]

I don't think you understand. There doesn't seem to be a setting for that. It just does it. I didn't even get a choice in stopping it. I guess Google considers you lucky to even see the "Your toolbar has been updated" bit. evil

As for data (now, "usage statistics"), I've always had that turned off.

If I didn't use it at all, I'd have uninstalled it, but until I know there's no fix for this, I just disabled it. (which sucks)