How do I actually get approved my first credit card?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=45958

unknown uchiha

18-09-2006 18:47:20

I've applied for the Bank of America Student Visa, I've applied for the Citi Student Visa, been denied for the BoA one and the Citi one needs proof of me being a student (which I will provide).

The BoA one says that they don't have enough credit references for me. Well, that's kind of a "no shit" thing right? I've just started out with no credit and am trying to build/start my credit history so it's only logical that I have no prior history... so why do these cards that advertise "START YOUR CREDIT HISTORY!" deny me for not having any?

dmorris68

18-09-2006 18:53:02

It's pretty common for banks to advertise "pre-approved" offers that aren't really so. They all have different qualification criteria and try to lure people into applying that otherwise wouldn't, by indicating they're already approved. All that means is you were pre-screened to not have bankruptcies or otherwise horrible credit, but it doesn't mean you necessarily meet their other criteria.

It sounds like Citi is going to approve you if they're asking for proof of being a student. I've been with Citi for several years and like them.

Starting credit is the old "chicken and egg" scenario. It's hard to get credit until you have credit. You're on the right track with the student card. Just don't abuse it. Once you have it, wait a couple months then apply for a department store CC or two, they will be easy if you have at least one major CC under your belt. That's where your credit will start growing.

Just DO NOT fall into the common student trap of financial irresponsibility and get in over your head. It's very difficult to get out of -- trust me, I know, since it happened to me oh so many years ago. ;)

Daggoth

18-09-2006 18:53:22

Have you checked out TSJ's thread on this?

megotcash

18-09-2006 19:08:59

also...the BoA cards are very specific. don't they have one where you put like a $99 deposit down, and you get like a $500 limit? as long as you don't have something bad on your credit, you should be able to get that one. i think it is the visa gold or something.

i know it is kinda tough getting your first credit card, but just keep looking around and try the student ones. they usual have low limits, and will be given to you to help establish good credit.

good luck!

unknown uchiha

18-09-2006 19:20:03

[quotebf295836cd="Daggoth"]Have you checked out TSJ's thread on this?[/quotebf295836cd]

Yup.

geej86

18-09-2006 19:26:24

i got a cell phone from verizon without any sort of deposit and i had zero credit at the time(?). couple months later I applied for a chase student visa and was accepted for that one too. heh, thats not really advice i guess

Kidd

18-09-2006 19:27:04

i started with the student amex card and the citi student card both are good now i have good standing accounts and more credit on them then ever necessary

unknown uchiha

18-09-2006 19:27:13

That's impressive. I have to put down a $500 deposit for Cingular or a $300 for Verizon.

Kidd

18-09-2006 19:27:50

one my first cellphone i put down nothing with nextel and nothing with tmobile at the same time.

dmorris68

18-09-2006 19:28:16

[quote734911ba3f="geej86"]i got a cell phone from verizon without any sort of deposit and i had zero credit at the time(?). couple months later I applied for a chase student visa and was accepted for that one too. heh, thats not really advice i guess[/quote734911ba3f]
Probably unrelated. Cellphone companies will often write a contract with no credit, as long as you don't have bad credit. The student card was probably a gimme.

Cellphone companies don't report to credit bureaus unless you don't pay your bill and it goes to collections, so having a cellphone doesn't improve your credit score unfortunately.

Bentley

18-09-2006 23:22:14

Heh I made a very similar thread last week and 2 days ago I got my BoA Amex with no credit history or co-sign with a $1000 limit.

geej86

18-09-2006 23:28:00

thats too bad that you don't earn credit with a cell phone, i always thought you did. and yea you're right about the chase student visa

tylerc

18-09-2006 23:46:02

I got a Chase Rewards Visa with a $4,500 limit no problem.

downthesun

19-09-2006 05:35:24

I recently had this problem too. Trying to find a credit card and always getting denied because I didn't have enough credit. Eventually I got the capital one student card. High rates and low credit line, saweet.