I need a cure- HELP!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=45937

zr2152

18-09-2006 12:16:33

OKay ive been using smokeless tobacco for about a year now (dip). Im pretty bad right now, i use it like 3 times a day and i need to quit before I end up not having a face.

I need some tips, i try using sunflower seeds, but its just not cutting it for me. Any advice would help. Im considering getting the patch, but not sure yet.

Anyone ever use and then quit. Its soo hard. Help!

Akademikz

18-09-2006 12:18:28

Although I have no first hand experience in dropping a bad habit like tobacco the patch seems like your best bet. It just takes time, and if you committ to it and utilize the necessary tools at your disposal you should be off it in no time - hopefully.

tylerc

18-09-2006 12:20:15

My grandpa used to smoke and he chewed gum nonstop.

Try that.

romanodog

18-09-2006 12:31:51

I can't understand how smokers can't just stop. i kinda want to start smoking just because i want to know what its like to be addicted to something like that.

tylerc

18-09-2006 12:35:29

With your logic, why not start shooting heroin or start doing crystal meth?

ghondi

18-09-2006 12:39:40

I tried to quit smoking once and to quit I started smoking 2 cigars a day vs 2 packs...didn't work...then smoked 2 cigars and 1.5packs...

Tried to quit again and started dipping. Then for a while with that I dipped and smoked...

I finally stopped smoking cigars, and dipping but still smoke 1-2packs a day.

So start smoking....you'll quit dip. Lol...or try the gum thing, which is supposed to work. Hell go for some [bc71eb0514a]big league chew![/bc71eb0514a]

romanodog

18-09-2006 12:42:52

maybe i should start shooting heroin, i could stand to lose a few pounds. roll

DesperateForAss

18-09-2006 12:44:55

[quotee782ea16ea="romanodog"]I can't understand how smokers can't just stop. i kinda want to start smoking just because i want to know what its like to be addicted to something like that.[/quotee782ea16ea]

I've never understood either. Same with fat people constantly eating.

ClassAct

18-09-2006 12:56:16

Ive been usin dip for about 6-7 years, tryed to quit few times, stopped for 2 months thats about it, the gum and patch dont work at all, When im in a sitation where I cant use dip I have seeds or halls, may try the seeds route but ur mouth will kill in the morning from the salt, what U dip?

Edit just saw where you said you already tried seeds, somewhere online u can buy some sort of mint leaf that acts like dip, no nictaine or anything, and they got a beef jerkey type thing as well that you can prob find at a convient store.

http//ccrsnacks.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=009&DEPT=1080563310&BACK=A0042A1

johnjimjones

18-09-2006 14:57:16

I almost threw up when I heard smokeless tobacco. I have no idea how ANYONE touches that stuff.

TryinToGetPaid

18-09-2006 15:01:09

Agreed with JJJ. (How often is that)

Dip, looks and smells nasty.

I only smoke cigs, and I only smoke between 3 - 4 a day. Usually it is when I am at work, or when I am studying and need a break.

KeithA

18-09-2006 16:49:23

I used smokeless tobacco and smoked cigarettes heavily for several years, mostly in college. It's been well over a year since I last used it, but I'll admit that the urge recurs occasionally.

I can't tell you what will work for you, but I can tell you what I've done. [b49b89ed652]As a disclaimer, I would discourage anyone who has lost family to tobacco-related illness from reading on.[/b49b89ed652]

For me, relying on gum, the patch, sunflower seeds, jerky, or anything else was just a crutch, and I always went back to tobacco. Substituting something pleasurable with something less pleasurable never worked for me; after a few days, I'd realize that the substitute wasn't satisfying at all, it was just a constant reminder of my enjoyment of the substance I was trying to quit. I needed to find a way to stop craving tobacco altogether.

What worked for me was a broader reassessment of my goals and values. (Cheesy, I know, but bear with me for a second.) I started out by just calculating what I spent every month on tobacco. In Massachusetts, the taxes are pretty steep. I was going through 2 tins a week at about $7 a piece, so I was wasting ~$60 a month and ~$700 a year on tobacco. It didn't take long to think of a few better ways to spend that money.

Then I thought of the health consequences. I visited webmd.com, drcoop.com, and a few other reputable resources. A lot of what I read was persuasive, but if you're pressed for time, just look at the pictures.

Then I thought about what would go through my mind if I got sick. Depending on my age and personal situation, I would have to face my parents, my siblings, my girlfriend or wife, and possibly even my kids. There would be some explaining to do, but mostly I'd have to say goodbye far earlier than necessary. These aren't the fifties, when knowledge of tobacco's health consequences was weak. I would have nobody to blame but myself.

For the first few months, when I got the urge to buy a tin, first I'd weigh the annual cost of tobacco against whatever else I was planning to buy with the money I could save.

Then I thought of my face if I got sick. Would I be able to speak? To eat? Would people even recognize me?

Then I thought of my family.

So, essentially, I'd be giving up things like an HDTV. A sound system. A 360. An iPod. A car. Some lingerie for my bedroom gymnastics partner. Watching my kid graduate college. Get married.

And for what? For a shorter, more miserable life.

I can't say it'll work for you, but if still works for me.

zr2152

18-09-2006 19:40:10

[quote5cf1d127fd="KeithA"]I used smokeless tobacco and smoked cigarettes heavily for several years, mostly in college. It's been well over a year since I last used it, but I'll admit that the urge recurs occasionally.

I can't tell you what will work for you, but I can tell you what I've done. [b5cf1d127fd]As a disclaimer, I would discourage anyone who has lost family to tobacco-related illness from reading on.[/b5cf1d127fd]

For me, relying on gum, the patch, sunflower seeds, jerky, or anything else was just a crutch, and I always went back to tobacco. Substituting something pleasurable with something less pleasurable never worked for me; after a few days, I'd realize that the substitute wasn't satisfying at all, it was just a constant reminder of my enjoyment of the substance I was trying to quit. I needed to find a way to stop craving tobacco altogether.

What worked for me was a broader reassessment of my goals and values. (Cheesy, I know, but bear with me for a second.) I started out by just calculating what I spent every month on tobacco. In Massachusetts, the taxes are pretty steep. I was going through 2 tins a week at about $7 a piece, so I was wasting ~$60 a month and ~$700 a year on tobacco. It didn't take long to think of a few better ways to spend that money.

Then I thought of the health consequences. I visited webmd.com, drcoop.com, and a few other reputable resources. A lot of what I read was persuasive, but if you're pressed for time, just look at the pictures.

Then I thought about what would go through my mind if I got sick. Depending on my age and personal situation, I would have to face my parents, my siblings, my girlfriend or wife, and possibly even my kids. There would be some explaining to do, but mostly I'd have to say goodbye far earlier than necessary. These aren't the fifties, when knowledge of tobacco's health consequences was weak. I would have nobody to blame but myself.

For the first few months, when I got the urge to buy a tin, first I'd weigh the annual cost of tobacco against whatever else I was planning to buy with the money I could save.

Then I thought of my face if I got sick. Would I be able to speak? To eat? Would people even recognize me?

Then I thought of my family.

So, essentially, I'd be giving up things like an HDTV. A sound system. A 360. An iPod. A car. Some lingerie for my bedroom gymnastics partner. Watching my kid graduate college. Get married.

And for what? For a shorter, more miserable life.

I can't say it'll work for you, but if still works for me.[/quote5cf1d127fd]

Thanks a ton Keith, I think that this was some motivation here. Im trying to cut it back to 1 dip a day for now (and trying to not smoke). Its so hard cause my buddies do it (the 4 of us would go through a tin a day). So im tryign to get to the point where i can just stop, after ive been cutting down. I told my mother about it when i went home from college this weekend to see her for her bday and she bought me some seeds...gotta love the mother )

goof

18-09-2006 20:18:26

My dad has smoked for like 40+ years, he got cancer a few months ago and stopped instantly. So either quit now or wait and quit later...

nobody2000

18-09-2006 21:07:31

I've never heard of anyone personally stopping gradually with gum or patches.....

Cold turkey. Suck on breath savers (sugar free), drink soda, coffee, whatever. You have a non-homosexual oral fixation going on, and you need to safely wean yourself off of that.

Get over the 3 day hump. The rest is just mild determination.You can be cured.

zr2152

18-09-2006 21:10:19

[quote11cbfdaeec="nobody2000"]I've never heard of anyone personally stopping gradually with gum or patches.....

Cold turkey. Suck on breath savers (sugar free), drink soda, coffee, whatever. You have a non-homosexual oral fixation going on, and you need to safely wean yourself off of that.

Get over the 3 day hump. The rest is just mild determination.You can be cured.[/quote11cbfdaeec]

So all i have to do is avoid it for 3 days or so and then the urge will be a lot better?

egyptianruin

18-09-2006 21:43:45

Brother in law got mouth cancer from chewing tobacco and he stopped three years ago. I recommend nicotine gum then weening yourself off of that to sugar free gum.

I used to smoke but I have really bad asthma, after an almost fatal attack I gave up cold turkey.

egyptianruin

18-09-2006 21:45:18

[quote9630a9c331="zr2152"]
So all i have to do is avoid it for 3 days or so and then the urge will be a lot better?[/quote9630a9c331]

Yes the urge gets less and less each day, believe me. You will always have an urge to do it but willpower is your friend. Whenever I wanted a ciggarette, and I mean REALLY wanted one, I said to myself if in 15 minutes I still want one...and then 15 minutes later I didnt even remember.

BD2006BD

18-09-2006 21:47:57

auricular therapy is what my dad did to stop smoking..

KeithA

19-09-2006 03:59:06

[quote89b17595b6="egyptianruin"]Brother in law got mouth cancer from chewing tobacco and he stopped three years ago.[/quote89b17595b6]

How long did he chew?

nobody2000

19-09-2006 05:32:36

[quotefd54fdce1f="zr2152"][quotefd54fdce1f="nobody2000"]I've never heard of anyone personally stopping gradually with gum or patches.....

Get over the 3 day hump. The rest is just mild determination.You can be cured.[/quotefd54fdce1f]

So all i have to do is avoid it for 3 days or so and then the urge will be a lot better?[/quotefd54fdce1f]
The "three day hump" is the universally known addiction tough spot. It goes for dieting, nicotine, even heroin. It's that period of high vulnerability. Stop hanging out with your friends when they chew/dip (if at all), and do what I said. You'll break it....your first step has been taken...you wanna quit....that's a huge step. Now, take step 2 and the rest of the steps will quickly fall into place!

zr2152

19-09-2006 08:00:42

OKay so i dipped 2 times yesterday and im trying to go the whole day today without a dip..i have class till 4 and then work till 1030/1100 so when i get back is the only time that i can throw one in, so all i have to do is avoid it for an hour or so.

Its funny cause my buddies and i ran out of dip yesterday and we are going to try to NOT buy one today. Its just whoever breaks first and goes and buys one-i know it wont be me.

DAY 1 starts todayyyy

thanks for the encouragement guys ) )

nobody2000

19-09-2006 08:26:17

stay away from the stores that sell dip if you can, if skoal comes out with some new flavor, you're gonna wanna try it, so just avoid it like you would avoid freepay or a similar site.

burritopunk

19-09-2006 08:31:57

[quote5827cf5233="nobody2000"]stay away from the stores that sell dip if you can, if skoal comes out with some new flavor, you're gonna wanna try it, so just avoid it like you would avoid freepay or a similar site.[/quote5827cf5233]

haha. I love how I'm constantly reminded that this is a freebie forum

tjwor

19-09-2006 08:49:11

totsie rolls i've heard are good, just put them in like a dip...

My brother chewed once and was adicted, i want to try a dip, but i don't want to get addicted, so I've strayed away from it, knowing that once I start I probably won't stop... I'll smoke a cigar on occations, but not inhale, i love the taste of them tho...

Good Luck With It! Stay strong! find something to do when you are getting an urge to dip...

ClassAct

19-09-2006 09:32:43

I dont suggest starting, I started cause of football, 1st couple lips you pack you get extremily lightheaded, then after that, in 6-7 years ive gotten lightheaded maybe 4 times since then,

tylerc

19-09-2006 10:18:34

TJWor-One dip, same as 1 pack of cigarettes, won't get you addicted.

I've been smoking while I drink for about 6 months now, and very rarely do I get the urge for a cigarette when I'm not drinking, generally only after a stressful day.

Dave82

19-09-2006 10:24:11

From what others have told me, the majority of addiction (cigarettes, food, sex, gambling) is psychological rather than physical. well with the exception of heavier drugs.

This girl i was dating, Jen, in freshman year smoked (total turn off to me now btw) and whenever she would go home she wouldnt smoke because her parents were strict. She told me that she never had any problems not smoking or cravings when she was at home.
But she HAD to smoke at the dorms in the morning, after she ate, and after we had sex.

If you chew when you are on the computer or doing yard work, then that is when your get the psychological urge. My friend Sam smoked on the way to work and home from work. So when he quit the hardest part for him was driving in his car because that's he wanted one the worst.

Jen never smoked at her parents home so there werent "triggers." Which was why it was not difficult to not smoke there.

If you wanna quit, try to avoid what you do when you chew. Are you at a bar? Then stop going. Sucks, but your health is more important.

Jen's case she smoked after things she could not avoid (eating, sleeping, sex). If you made a habbit of chewing at events that are neccessary, just have the realization that you have to be extra careful doing those things because that is gonna trigger your urge to chew. Try and replace it. Chew on those slim jims or whatever when you are "suppose" to be smoking. I think you are addicted to be feeling of chewing and spitting. So for now continue to chew taffy candy and frequently spit.

Good luck. This is one of the reasons i never started. My gf sometimes smokes when she drinks and always offers me one. I never do just because i dont wanna take the chance of it becoming a habit. I know people that smoke "only when they drink" and then slowing it becomes "just one cig when i am really stressed" and so on.

Hope this helped
GOOD LUCK!!!

zr2152

19-09-2006 10:53:37

[quote315a557339="Dave82"]From what others have told me, the majority of addiction (cigarettes, food, sex, gambling) is psychological rather than physical. well with the exception of heavier drugs.

This girl i was dating, Jen, in freshman year smoked (total turn off to me now btw) and whenever she would go home she wouldnt smoke because her parents were strict. She told me that she never had any problems not smoking or cravings when she was at home.
But she HAD to smoke at the dorms in the morning, after she ate, and after we had sex.

If you chew when you are on the computer or doing yard work, then that is when your get the psychological urge. My friend Sam smoked on the way to work and home from work. So when he quit the hardest part for him was driving in his car because that's he wanted one the worst.

Jen never smoked at her parents home so there werent "triggers." Which was why it was not difficult to not smoke there.

If you wanna quit, try to avoid what you do when you chew. Are you at a bar? Then stop going. Sucks, but your health is more important.

Jen's case she smoked after things she could not avoid (eating, sleeping, sex). If you made a habbit of chewing at events that are neccessary, just have the realization that you have to be extra careful doing those things because that is gonna trigger your urge to chew. Try and replace it. Chew on those slim jims or whatever when you are "suppose" to be smoking. I think you are addicted to be feeling of chewing and spitting. So for now continue to chew taffy candy and frequently spit.

Good luck. This is one of the reasons i never started. My gf sometimes smokes when she drinks and always offers me one. I never do just because i dont wanna take the chance of it becoming a habit. I know people that smoke "only when they drink" and then slowing it becomes "just one cig when i am really stressed" and so on.

Hope this helped
GOOD LUCK!!![/quote315a557339]

I totally agree that its psychological, its the atmosphere that im in. When im at school and come back to my dorm room in between classes, im like "what should i do? Oh lets throw one in" When I go home to visit my parents, i dont get the urge to dip or smoke. When I am in the car heading to work (to and from work), i need something to do in the car-so I smoke. Im not addicted to cigarettees, i smoke black n milds in the car and is a psychological addiction. BUT it is an addiction, no matter what type it is. An addiction is an addiction.

So today after I ate lunch, i wanted one soooo bad. But i stuck it out for 15 minutes and here I am now, no dip.....just browsing the forums here on fipg and heading to class in 40 minutes )

KeithA

19-09-2006 11:13:35

[quotec580fa5377="zr2152"]...here I am now, no dip.....just browsing the forums here on fipg and heading to class in 40 minutes )[/quotec580fa5377]

Stay strong

egyptianruin

19-09-2006 11:47:33

[quote07f4f07bc9="KeithA"][quote07f4f07bc9="egyptianruin"]Brother in law got mouth cancer from chewing tobacco and he stopped three years ago.[/quote07f4f07bc9]

How long did he chew?[/quote07f4f07bc9]
3 years

jy3

19-09-2006 14:49:06

alright i didnt read the above posts.
some things to remember
smoking/chew is a habit. break the habit break the smoking/chew. does anyone refuse to be around u when u chew? are there places u cant chew? hang with them or go to that place a lot. rooms u dont chew in? do everything in that room

it takes the average smoker 12 attempts to quit...i am sure chew is similar

Darkside

19-09-2006 15:23:22

[quotefb5bc1fb01="romanodog"]I can't understand how smokers can't just stop. i kinda want to start smoking just because i want to know what its like to be addicted to something like that.[/quotefb5bc1fb01]

I used to think the same way. For perspective, drink nothing but water and eat nothing but healthy food, cutting out all sugars and caffinated products for 30 days. Cut out chips while your at it. Start this when you'll be home all day.

nobody2000

19-09-2006 17:07:27

The thing is, most addictions ARE psychological. No doubt about it.

However, there are signs of physical withdrawl when certain chemicals are introduced for prolonged amounts of time, and then quickly taken away. Nicotine withdrawl is annoying and your body produces neurotransmitters and other chemicals to compensate, and an effect is that irritable feeling.

Heroin addiction and related opiates is much more serious. Quitting cold turkey can lead to horrible sickness. These habits are tough to kick.

jy3

19-09-2006 17:30:20

quiting cold turkey for nicotine products leads to crankiness and feeling ill but it is not a horrible sickness. a horrible sickness is hemalytic uremic syndrome from e coli from spinach

zr2152

19-09-2006 22:07:59

day one is in the books my friends )

So when i got back fromw work today, i was told by my buddy that i dip with that he didnt dip at all today! I was pumped. So i walk into my buddies room (where we usually dip) just to see whats up and i saw my other friend just spitting seeds! YAY

So we made a bet to see who can go the longest. We are just trying it cold turkey ( and with seeds of course).

Ill keep you all updated...thanks for the encouragement and motivation....

I cant believe im saying this but....fipg is going to help me quit dipping

Tsmith10803

20-09-2006 16:14:55

good for you man!

freaky1718

20-09-2006 16:17:39

lmao good for you too

zr2152

20-09-2006 16:44:33

Today so far has been the worst day

im so agitated and crankyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over the stupidest things....this is withdrawl im guessing?

freaky1718

20-09-2006 16:53:30

im guessing a yes but i would never put something like that in my mouth so idk go get some food it will make you happy lmao

Kidd

20-09-2006 17:00:21

if you get over the crankiness the first couple of days and you go over the hump your set!

good luck

also i know some prescription shit that will help with quitting and i know a couple books you could read that help.

KeithA

20-09-2006 17:04:48

[quote629e722ba5="zr2152"]Today so far has been the worst day

im so agitated and crankyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over the stupidest things....this is withdrawl im guessing?[/quote629e722ba5]

It's probably withdrawal, but stick with it. Keep us updated.

zr2152

20-09-2006 17:20:39

[quote63d85b4b93="Kidd"]if you get over the crankiness the first couple of days and you go over the hump your set!

good luck

also i know some prescription shit that will help with quitting and i know a couple books you could read that help.[/quote63d85b4b93]

and what might that be?

Kidd

20-09-2006 17:24:04

zyban worked for this girl i know in holland

ill get you the title of the book if you want also

zr2152

20-09-2006 18:58:04

[quote7b193e73a1="Kidd"]zyban worked for this girl i know in holland

ill get you the title of the book if you want also[/quote7b193e73a1]

Yes that would be great )

Kidd

20-09-2006 20:02:06

http//www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carr-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0140277633

people swear by it

zr2152

20-09-2006 20:41:38

day 2..in the books.

I drank with my buddies tonight and we smoked 2 cigarettes ,but better than dipping. It's weird that tonight we just decided that we would quit and only smoke when we are drinking. THis is going very well right now and I couldnt have done it without you all.

Ill let you all know how tommorow goes )

zr2152

22-09-2006 17:54:52

okay well i just wanted to tell you all that its been 4 days.and i didnt really have any bad cravings for it...so i have OFFICIALLY quit dipping

KeithA

22-09-2006 18:40:08

[quotedaf1004b9f="zr2152"]okay well i just wanted to tell you all that its been 4 days.and i didnt really have any bad cravings for it...so i have OFFICIALLY quit dipping[/quotedaf1004b9f]

Congrats. It's great that your roommates are quitting along with you too.

manOFice

31-05-2007 08:13:27

In stead of starting a new thread I did some searching and figured I would pop in here.

I decided to quit smoking after about 6 years of smoking. Started smoking cigs cuz of pot. Quit pot many many years ago but kept smoking cigs. I started out hard with Newports...then to just marb meth, then the marb menth lights, and then down to marb menth ultra lights.

I was visiting my parents in Florida last weekend and never smoked in front of them. So Last Thursday was my last cig. I got back from my vacation and said since I have lasted a few days already why not just quit in general.

So today marks 7 days with out a cig after 6 years. I would say the 5th day was the hardest!! I was very dizzy all day, almost threw up couple times, and couldn't concentrate at work.

But being at 7 days now puts a huge smile on my face! I'm pretty much through the tough spot.

But I did this cold turkey if thats what you wanna call it.

Since quiting me and the wife now go on walks every night after dinner, it helps!! During the day at work I just drink coffee and maybe a walk around the floors to keep my mind off it.

So far, I'm pretty proud of myself.

TryinToGetPaid

31-05-2007 08:22:28

CONGRATS!!!!

I have tried quitting many a times, but when I get frustrated at work, I just go smoke. Like after I hit that guy today - I just had to smoke a cig. Though I never smoke once on the weekends when I am at home, because there is no stress.

Tholek

31-05-2007 08:37:21

Good luck. )

jy3

31-05-2007 08:54:35

nice work. keep at it.

gambit00x

31-05-2007 11:17:33

Another way of dealing with bad habits is finding good replacement habits (along with everything else).

manOFice

31-05-2007 11:19:16

[quote17eb6bd06f="gambit00x"]Another way of dealing with bad habits is finding good replacement habits (along with everything else).[/quote17eb6bd06f]

Yep, used to smoke a cig after dinner...now we go on walks. I'm also looking to buy two bikes for us to strole around in.

booklover1104

31-05-2007 11:49:03

Oh...good job, Glenn! I've been trying to quit too...I'm 28 now and I DON'T want to be a smoker in my 30's.
I was doing some research on smoking cessation aids and found this hypnosis site...I don't think that an mp3 is going to help me quit smoking, but this link was on the same drop down as the stop-smoking link...flililiing hilarious!!

http//www.hypnosisdownloads.com/downloads/health/picking-nose.html

JUNIOR6886

31-05-2007 15:32:06

dont mean to be a dick but i highly doubt you can do it.......

CollidgeGraduit

31-05-2007 15:52:51

[quote8c416f80bf="JUNIOR6886"]dont mean to be a dick but i highly doubt you can do it.......[/quote8c416f80bf]

I don't mean to be a dick, but I'm going to say something that a dick would say... roll

zr2152

31-05-2007 16:43:30

haha I remember making this thread...I actually quit for like 2.5 months, started again, quit for a couple weeks and then dipped until about 2 weeks ago. Since then, ive been smoking a lot.

Now that im in the Netherlands, they dont sell dip, so im good, I just need to stop smoking now..haha

aviendha47

31-05-2007 17:07:29

[quoteae0532f312="Kidd"]zyban worked for this girl i know in holland

ill get you the title of the book if you want also[/quoteae0532f312]

Zyban is really just Welbutrin with a different target audience. I've heard it helps though I haven't personally had it do anything. Patches are a good buzz if you smoke while wearing one. Which is highly not recommended.
The 3 day mark is when the nicotine is out of your system. After a couple of weeks there's another major craving. I have no idea on that one but 3 weeks of smoking seems to do it.
The suggestion of finding substitute activities is a good one. If you're going around doing the same thing you always do, chances are your smoking ritual is going to kick in. Avoiding bars is another good one if that's one of your things. Avoid it until you can safely go and beat the cravings.
All in all, it sucks to quit. Much luck to you. )

manOFice

31-05-2007 17:09:30

Thanks for the info

zr2152

24-10-2007 21:29:50

shit.

phriq

24-10-2007 21:43:15

To be hononst, I just decided I wanted to quit one day, and I did. That was it. The only time I really craved was when I was driving, but just sing in your care and that will take that away...

jwwws

25-10-2007 08:49:36

I smoked for 11 years and quit May 3, 2007 when my entire state when smoke free (in public places). Cold turkey was the way for me. I'll admit it was one of the hardest things I've done, personally, but now it's no problem. I still occasionally get an urge but my will is strong.

...oh, and I've cut back my drinking too (hard to stay strong with lowered inhibitions) )

For those who are thinking about quitting, quit your b!tching and DO IT FOR YOURSELF. Otherwise, smoke, dip, whatever, just enjoy it and quit claiming to those around you that you're gonna quit. )

kevinnku20

25-10-2007 12:57:11

I smoked for about 4 years, and just stopped one day. I think becasue it was making me sick. Hacking up the brown crap every morning etc. What cured me of dip was chewing too much once, there's nothing worse than getting dip sick. For me that was enough to stop both for good.

Try chewing a whole can in an hour and make yourself so sick you never want to see it again and see if that works for you.

Iz

27-10-2007 00:01:01

[quotef04f177af7="zr2152"]shit.[/quotef04f177af7]

What?

Seems like the other 3 posts didn't notice you just bumped this thread with that one word after 5 months of being dead.

zr2152

27-10-2007 10:51:38

I just bumped it for other ppl who might be having the same problems that i used to have.

Jeremiah1218

27-10-2007 11:02:17

I definately think its more of a psychological affect then anything...I used to only smoke cigs while I was drinkin or smokin weed and then occasionally when I got stressed out etc. and I just wanted to stop so I did. Never had any sort of "addicted" feelings or anything and I'm sure I smoked enough that I very well coulda became addicted to them. I guess its just how bad you want to stop...I like your approach though Keith, just determine whats more important in your life...your health, money, family and what not and use that to give yourself the power to just quit. Another thing that may help is that everytime you're in the car and you have a pack or tin and you're about to smoke or toss a lip in but don't want to, just throw it out the window...sure you might go back and buy a few more but keep doing it and eventually you'll get sick of wasting so much money and hopefully it will help break the habit.