My dog is dying :(

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=45702

benner410

13-09-2006 16:52:27

I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and i have had her for 11 years. She has been a great dog and really fun. However, in the past couple months to a year, she has been going downhill... I will list her problems...

-Loss of bladder control
-Cyst on thigh
-Kidney failure
-Loss of appetite
-Hips are going out
-Yeast infection (right now)
-Really bad fleas (they keep coming back, the vet says there's nothing we can do about it)

I take good care of her and everything. I bathe her, brush her, and feed her a healthy diet. She is just old.

Now, I have been thinking this over a whole lot.

My vet told me he could put her to sleep for me, and it's because he agrees that she is a good candidate for it. She is suffering right now. She looks happy, but I can tell that she doesn't love life anymore. She doesn't chow down her kibbles & bits like she used to. (she used to love them). And she doesn't run around and go crazy when people come up to her anymore. I was thinking about having her put down.

On the other hand, I love her very much, and I have been with her my entire life. I even saw her brought into this world (born). I don't want to put her to sleep, but I know she is not happy on this earth anymore.

What would you do? I need some good replies. Thanks

P.S. This is a pic I found, almost identical..

http//kelbryncorgis.homestead.com/files/Abbie0001.JPG[" alt=""/imgd8ef2ac3a9]

Powerbook

13-09-2006 16:57:09

sorry to hear that. My dog paco died last year during July. I was so sad. I only had him for like 2 years and he was a pug. My best wishes to you and your dog.

Tsmith10803

13-09-2006 17:00:06

I'm sorry to hear this man, when I was 13, my cat that I played with every day after school died, and I found her under my bed, after 2 weeks of nobody listening to me that my cat was sick (. But It will get better, don't try and forget about your dog, but don't obsess. Remember your dog after it dies, and if you're lonely, get a new one, not to replace your old one, but to remember it.

DesperateForAss

13-09-2006 17:11:26

In all honesty, I would put her to sleep. You don't like to see her suffer do you? I know for sure that it's got to be one of the hardest decisions to make but I would just think of how it was for the good. Sorry about all the shit thats been happening with her but you just gotta keep telling yourself that it's old age and you can't do anything about it.

dmorris68

13-09-2006 17:15:10

I'm very sorry. My wife and kids and I are dog lovers, we have two wonderful Golden Retrievers at the moment. As much as we love them, if we knew they were suffering and there was no hope for recovery, we would not hesitate to make the decision to relieve their suffering.

Ultimately the decision is yours of course, and it's an extremely difficult thing to go through, so nobody can really fault you for trying to hang on. I just ask that you be honest with yourself and to your dog, and recognize when things have gone on long enough.

It's not the same for everybody, but when Buffy, our Cocker Spaniel of 10 years, died suddenly a few years ago, we were all devastated. Especially my kids -- my youngest daughter was 2 when we got the dog, so they had been raised together. The absolute best thing for us was to rush out and get another dog. You can never [ifc2778d4f5]replace[/ifc2778d4f5] a cherished pet, but you can acquire another and begin building a new relationship that will lead to all the joys you had with your prior pet. Buffy died on Wednesday, on Sunday we had our first Golden. It really helped us all get through the grieving period, and we loved it so much that 6 months later we got a second one from the next litter by the same parents. We have said ever since than when something happens to one of our dogs, we will not hesitate to get another. Pets (especially dogs, but I'm biased) bring us so much joy that it's a shame to deprive both yourself and the pet of such a relationship.

Good luck to you.

Tholek

13-09-2006 17:26:16

Are all the problems and illneses solvable and curable if money were not an issue?

benner410

13-09-2006 17:39:55

[quote6337be241f="Tholek"]Are all the problems and illneses solvable and curable if money were not an issue?[/quote6337be241f]

Nope, she is just a really old dog. The infections and stuff are cureable, but the age isn't. The kidney failure is incureable. Its just a fact of age.

Tholek

13-09-2006 17:44:21

Ah well, if the kidney failure is really incurable, then euthanasia might be a reasonable consideration. (If it's treatable, with a good quality of life, then I would shell out for that)

Lightliquid

13-09-2006 17:46:58

Aww sorry dude thats really does suck. I think im gunna go downstairs and give my dog a big hug! '(

punjabi_munda

13-09-2006 18:01:11

i feel sad..

i would kill it. i wouldn't let it suffer

CougarKid

13-09-2006 18:50:15

Ugh, that's really sucky. I rue the day that my dog passes on..

Enjoy your last times with her.

Tholek

13-09-2006 18:51:53

If people are worrying about buying a long-lived pet, turtles and parrots are the way to go. If you're lucky, you'll be passing them on to your kids.

Killer722

13-09-2006 19:06:13

That's a tough decision. If you love her so much, I could see you trying to spent every moment she had left with her and not put her to sleep. That is not an evil action, because if she loves you, she would want to do the same.

On the other hand, if you put her to sleep, you know when it is going to happen and you can give a good final goodbye.

Not sure what I would do.

TryinToGetPaid

13-09-2006 19:11:02

Personally, it would be better put her down at a moment you would know, instead of waking up and suddenly finding out shes gone.

egyptianruin

13-09-2006 19:56:58

I had a cat to live to be 23 years old. He was ragged and arthritic and had problems walking around and I grew up with him. He was as old as I was when he died, we got him when I was a baby and he passed three days after my birthday. He started acting strange and we took him to the emergency vet and they said he was having heart and kidney failure. We put him to sleep because it was very painful for him and all his functions were going - he wasn't even aware of his surroundings anymore and just stared.

It is something that is up to you to decide on and what is best for you and your family. Animals become parts of the family and losing them is like losing someone very close to you. I dont even want to think about my dogs passing on now, but it will come sooner or later because we all must pass on. I'll keep your corgi in my thoughts.

Dave82

13-09-2006 21:40:53

sorry to hear about that. my gf cried just seeing the title of your post.
This is so sad to tell someone, but take pics and videos and cut a lock of hair and then schedule an appointment with the vet.
It is tough. My dog was easily my best friend and never will be replaced. It is a tough time for you and i understand.

If you do decide to send her to a better place, here is my advice

This sounds gay, but what really helped me was burying our dog in our backyard. I even made a wooden cross. It made me feel like i still had a piece of him.

If you think your family would move, pick a relative that you think is not likely to move and bury her there so you wont loose your dog when your parents sell your home. An older relative with the kids gone but plans on keeping the house until they die is a good choice.

I never cry, but i sure did when my dog passed. It is really rough and i am sorry that anyone would have to go through this. Death is difficult in general. Dogs never do anything hurtful and are so, so, SO loyal that it is the saddest when they go.

You will have to grieve and there is no easy way out. That i am sorry for because i remember it as one of the worse times in my life. But it gets easier and you go have all the good memories.

Just know that you are sending her to a better place and she will be so happy.
She knows you love her so much.

geej86

13-09-2006 23:42:09

sorry about your dog man. i had to put mine down recently and it was very hard, but the right thing to do

JOSHBOX

13-09-2006 23:47:32

I had a little blue fish last night that my shrimp got in his claws. By the time i rescued the fish from the claws of the shrimp he had no back fins and the area behind his gills was sliced completely open. I watched him swim a few circles before i decided to humanely place him into the loving tentacles of my bubble tip anemone.

Sorry for your hard decision, I honestly dont know what I would do if my dog was in that situation.

Bentley

14-09-2006 00:12:35

I would put it to sleep, better than waking up and finding your dog dead somewhere and its a much worse scenario. Putting it to sleep you can also say your final goodbye. Either decision its going to be hard to deal with in the end but you just have to look at the better side.

Tholek

14-09-2006 05:29:47

[quote30ffb1164e="JOSHBOX"]I watched him swim a few circles before i decided to humanely place him into the loving tentacles of my bubble tip anemone.[/quote30ffb1164e]

[i30ffb1164e]That's[/i30ffb1164e] more humane??? shock

Why are you mixing predators and prey, anyhow? ?

jadem

14-09-2006 08:16:46

I'm sorry that you are going through this. I had a pet die less than two weeks after adopting him from the Humane Society. It was a 4 month-old kitten and he was sick when I got him (they didn't tell me they had an outbreak of feline panleukopenia (distemper). If I had known he wasn't going to make it at all, I would have put him to sleep just so he wouldn't have had to die alone.

I came home for lunch one day, and he was under the kitchen table, dead. I cried my eyes out and realized he must have gone not too long after I left in the morning. I felt horrible that I didn't put him to sleep.

But this is just MY story. You do what you feel is the best thing for your friend, and I hope no matter what choice you make, you are comfortable with it.

ajasax

14-09-2006 09:16:21

I feel for you. My family has had several dogs. In fact, our oldest Lab/Chow mix is getting pretty old. He's about 16y.o. I'll be very sad when I see him go. We've had him since birth also.

JOSHBOX

14-09-2006 12:35:30

[quote4f89a34d44="Tholek"][quote4f89a34d44="JOSHBOX"]I watched him swim a few circles before i decided to humanely place him into the loving tentacles of my bubble tip anemone.[/quote4f89a34d44]

[i4f89a34d44]That's[/i4f89a34d44] more humane??? shock

Why are you mixing predators and prey, anyhow? ?[/quote4f89a34d44]

Hey that shrimp normally isnt that agressive, i guess the fish was sick. Anyway the point of having a reef tank is to make a small ecosystem myself and that would include anemones, coarls, shrimp, snails, crabs, fish, starfish. If they dont mix well together, they die. Unfortunately no too much I can do about that -(

Tholek

14-09-2006 14:27:46

[quotea30f20b4a2="JOSHBOX"][quotea30f20b4a2="Tholek"][quotea30f20b4a2="JOSHBOX"]I watched him swim a few circles before i decided to humanely place him into the loving tentacles of my bubble tip anemone.[/quotea30f20b4a2]

[ia30f20b4a2]That's[/ia30f20b4a2] more humane??? shock

Why are you mixing predators and prey, anyhow? ?[/quotea30f20b4a2]

Hey that shrimp normally isnt that agressive, i guess the fish was sick. Anyway the point of having a reef tank is to make a small ecosystem myself and that would include anemones, coarls, shrimp, snails, crabs, fish, starfish. If they dont mix well together, they die. Unfortunately no too much I can do about that -([/quotea30f20b4a2]

Not much you can do? That's not the ocean, it's [ia30f20b4a2]your[/ia30f20b4a2] tank. shock

I find that incredibly cruel. It's like having a family of mice live alongside a python. The ones that haven't been eaten yet, live under stress from the proximity and continued avoidance of being killed. With it being a confined space with no way out, it's almost like a mini Auschwitz there. (

freaky1718

14-09-2006 14:47:02

[quotec82a95b26a="Tholek"][quotec82a95b26a="JOSHBOX"][quotec82a95b26a="Tholek"][quotec82a95b26a="JOSHBOX"]I watched him swim a few circles before i decided to humanely place him into the loving tentacles of my bubble tip anemone.[/quotec82a95b26a]

[ic82a95b26a]That's[/ic82a95b26a] more humane??? shock

Why are you mixing predators and prey, anyhow? ?[/quotec82a95b26a]

Hey that shrimp normally isnt that agressive, i guess the fish was sick. Anyway the point of having a reef tank is to make a small ecosystem myself and that would include anemones, coarls, shrimp, snails, crabs, fish, starfish. If they dont mix well together, they die. Unfortunately no too much I can do about that -([/quotec82a95b26a]

Not much you can do? That's not the ocean, it's [ic82a95b26a]your[/ic82a95b26a] tank. shock

I find that incredibly cruel. It's like having a family of mice live alongside a python. The ones that haven't been eaten yet, live under stress from the proximity and continued avoidance of being killed. With it being a confined space with no way out, it's almost like a mini Auschwitz there. ([/quotec82a95b26a]

yes it is unless you have one of those 200 gallon tanks

Tsmith10803

14-09-2006 14:50:11

Yea man, but in the end, remember, your dog knows that you loved him/her, you also made their life the best you could, which is so much better then stray dogs. You're dog and you will be back together sometime. Just always remember, you lived him, he loved you, and you'll never completely be apart from eachother.

freaky1718

14-09-2006 14:54:40

[quote9127ad4bae="Tsmith10803"]Yea man, but in the end, remember, your dog knows that you loved him/her, you also made their life the best you could, which is so much better then stray dogs. You're dog and you will be back together sometime. Just always remember, you lived him, he loved you, and you'll never completely be apart from eachother.[/quote9127ad4bae]

its a female she

Tholek

14-09-2006 15:13:28

[quotee793776574="freaky1718"]yes it is unless you have one of those 200 gallon tanks[/quotee793776574]

True. The bigger the tank, the better their chances at survival, but it's still less than their habitat. It's when you have a tank the size of ones at aquariums, the odds of survival are probably closer to that of open ocean.

Tsmith10803

14-09-2006 15:49:57

[quote8f266c4d0b="freaky1718"][quote8f266c4d0b="Tsmith10803"]Yea man, but in the end, remember, your dog knows that you loved him/her, you also made their life the best you could, which is so much better then stray dogs. You're dog and you will be back together sometime. Just always remember, you lived him, he loved you, and you'll never completely be apart from eachother.[/quote8f266c4d0b]

its a female she[/quote8f266c4d0b]
Yea I wasn't sure, but this works for all cases of animals and their owners.

freaky1718

14-09-2006 16:17:24

[quote49e8943ba1="Tholek"][quote49e8943ba1="freaky1718"]yes it is unless you have one of those 200 gallon tanks[/quote49e8943ba1]

True. The bigger the tank, the better their chances at survival, but it's still less than their habitat. It's when you have a tank the size of ones at aquariums, the odds of survival are probably closer to that of open ocean.[/quote49e8943ba1]

lol i want one of those like the ones that go over your head .. well bascily a tube that someone can walk thru but umm isnt that like 1.2 million dollars or something lol

Fugger

14-09-2006 21:44:13

( I feel for you. We just had to put my dog down who was 10 years old. We expected her to live another 3-4 years. Problem was the dog had horrible breath. We took her to the vet to have them cleaned, which she had to be put to sleep to have done because they were going to really really really clean them. Well, the vet ended up poisoning her and she started to have seizures. If I can add an extra thing to be thankful for it would be that your puppy is naturally going through the course of life, and wasn't killed by an incompetent vet.

Here she is sitting on my deck.

http/" alt=""/img90.imageshack.us/img="90/7449" alt=""/img1301wm1.jpg[/img50ab57803b]

BD2006BD

14-09-2006 21:45:32

did he accidentally give her poision or did she react to be putting to sleep or something?

egyptianruin

14-09-2006 21:51:41

[quote83202f5394="Fugger"]( I feel for you. We just had to put my dog down who was 10 years old. We expected her to live another 3-4 years. Problem was the dog had horrible breath. We took her to the vet to have them cleaned, which she had to be put to sleep to have done because they were going to really really really clean them. Well, the vet ended up poisoning her and she started to have seizures. If I can add an extra thing to be thankful for it would be that your puppy is naturally going through the course of life, and wasn't killed by an incompetent vet.

http/" alt=""/img90.imageshack.us/img="90/7449" alt=""/img1301wm1.jpg[/img83202f5394][/quote83202f5394]

A dog can be killed like that, OMG thats terrible. Did you sue the vet, I would have. That vet should never practice again evil

theysayjump

14-09-2006 21:58:38

[quotea814bdab83="egyptianruin"][quotea814bdab83="Fugger"]( I feel for you. We just had to put my dog down who was 10 years old. We expected her to live another 3-4 years. Problem was the dog had horrible breath. We took her to the vet to have them cleaned, which she had to be put to sleep to have done because they were going to really really really clean them. Well, the vet ended up poisoning her and she started to have seizures. If I can add an extra thing to be thankful for it would be that your puppy is naturally going through the course of life, and wasn't killed by an incompetent vet.

/snip[/quotea814bdab83]

A dog can be killed like that, OMG thats terrible. Did you sue the vet, I would have. That vet should never practice again evil[/quotea814bdab83]

Agreed. That's fucking unreal dude. (