Got in a small fight at school. 2 days OSS. need advice

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=45650

Powerbook

12-09-2006 16:31:12

I have never had any problems at school till now. I am a good student and just made a bad choice today. I don't want to go into details but it was a small fight. I was punched so i punched back. How will this affect me getting into good colleged? I received a 2 days suspension. ( I am trying to write a letter to our National Honor Society before they know the full details. I don't want to be kicked out over this dumb mistake i made once throughout high school. Any help would be appreciated. My parents aren't too happy and yeah this sucks. I was stupid.

EDIT Didn't register for the common app yet. Is there a place for problems like this that I have to mention it to schools?

tylerc

12-09-2006 16:33:51

What were you expected to do if you were punched, just sit there and take it?

TFOAF

12-09-2006 16:36:11

?

Powerbook

12-09-2006 16:36:13

Kinda my fault i got punched. I provoked it in a way. I played a small practical joke and he got angry. I can't believe it has escalated into two day OSS. I basically took a bread stick and rubbed it on his face. I was an idiot.

bballp6699

12-09-2006 16:37:25

I can fix your busted up glasses and braces for $10.

TryinToGetPaid

12-09-2006 16:37:28

Agreed. My school (Catholic, private) had a policy, if you were punched first, you could fight back. Which is much like in the real world, if someone punches you, you have ever right to beat the crap out of him, as long as he is not on the ground. Hit him on the ground, and you my friend have just assaulted someone.

As for colleges, do not worry about it. You probably could fight the suspension, because if he hit you first, all you were doing is protecting your body because you were and felt threatened. And honestly, I do not see how your parents can be mad, if someone ever hit my child first, I would let them fight back. I know you are supposed to "turn the other cheek" as the Bible says, but if someone physically harms you, you have a right to physically harm them.

benner410

12-09-2006 16:39:00

[quotee5448bb8f8="Powerbook"]Kinda my fault i got punched. I provoked it in a way. I played a small practical joke and he got angry. I can't believe it has escalated into two day OSS. I basically took a bread stick and rubbed it on his face. I was an idiot.[/quotee5448bb8f8]

You sound like the kid I got suspended for in 10th grade. A Grade A asshole who thinks shit's funny when its not, and then you pay the price.

Basically, a kid called me fat, and I clocked him in the nose, broke his nose, and he told on me. 2 weeks OSS, while he got away clean.

UberVash

12-09-2006 16:39:23

Take it from a "bully" (I've been suspended for it-I pulled a kid's sweatshirt string, he made fun of my ethnicity, I kicked the shit out of him).

Fight the suspension.

Powerbook

12-09-2006 16:40:30

[quote9c4d290525="bballp6699"]I can fix your busted up glasses and braces for $10.[/quote9c4d290525]

I'm not some nerd like that. I don't wear glasses or braces..... I am a pretty big kid actually and I wasn't hurt from this.

Powerbook

12-09-2006 16:41:45

[quote32f5c4b7bc="benner410"][quote32f5c4b7bc="Powerbook"]Kinda my fault i got punched. I provoked it in a way. I played a small practical joke and he got angry. I can't believe it has escalated into two day OSS. I basically took a bread stick and rubbed it on his face. I was an idiot.[/quote32f5c4b7bc]

You sound like the kid I got suspended for in 10th grade. A Grade A asshole who thinks shit's funny when its not, and then you pay the price.

Basically, a kid called me fat, and I clocked him in the nose, broke his nose, and he told on me. 2 weeks OSS, while he got away clean.[/quote32f5c4b7bc]

I agree I was an ass. Me and him used to be cool. I thought he would have a laugh over it since he has pulled some jokes on me in the past.

TryinToGetPaid

12-09-2006 16:45:33

Bah, you played a joke on him, he couldnt take it and decided to punch you. Happened to my friend and I, I slapped him on the sholder and he went crazy on me. I was 120 pounds he was around 250.....so to even it up I took off my fossil watch, wrapped it around my hand and hit him, and he went good night. Neither of us got in trouble though, as the vice principle (RIP Rick Huckaby) liked me very much. But enough about me, back to you.

Id say fight the suspension, the worst that will happen is you will be suspended, which you already are.

bballp6699

12-09-2006 16:51:06

Why do people never bring up the fights they get their asses kicked in? I've never heard someone say, "well, back in high school this kid started shit with me, and then kicked my ass."

I don't believe a word of it.

TryinToGetPaid

12-09-2006 16:55:15

What if no one has ever gotten their asses kicked before? Then what do they do, make up a story to make you happy?

bballp6699

12-09-2006 17:01:09

How can EVERYONE win all their fights? There has to be a loser.

I can be honest. I've never gotten my ass kicked because I never really got into a fight. I've punched a friend in the face, but that was about it. This was about 8 years ago and he's still my best friend. Go figure.

Jeorgius

12-09-2006 17:02:26

Whenever I applied to my colleges here in Colorado and so on, they ask for such events such a suspensions, arrests, felonies, etc. I did get in a brawl in high school, but explained the fulls story about how I should have walked off, been the bigger man you know.

Just be honest and explain in detail, a paragraph is good just be honest if you do apply to a college. Well you know what? I was accepted to many colleges here in Colorado and aboard, just keep your grades good and you can go where you want. My little fight didn't affect the admissions lol

ilanbg

12-09-2006 17:08:39

What you should do is speak to the principal, make it very clear you understand what you did is wrong, point out that you've never been in trouble before and that you have very good grades, and ask that it be stricken from your permanent record. (This way, the colleges don't see it.) Explain to them that you are willing to log extra suspension or community service in order to be able to further extend your education later.

I got suspended for a couple days last year (for fucking with the computer system and scaring a teacher) and I almost got expelled, but I was able to talk it down by being adamant that I didn't want one mistake to impact my life goals.

CollidgeGraduit

12-09-2006 17:15:22

[quote5b5cdd519f="bballp6699"]Why do people never bring up the fights they get their asses kicked in? I've never heard someone say, "well, back in high school this kid started shit with me, and then kicked my ass."

I don't believe a word of it.[/quote5b5cdd519f]

Why [b5b5cdd519f]would[/b5b5cdd519f] someone bring up a fight that they got their ass kicked in? There's not much point in that.

Darkside

12-09-2006 17:18:26

In my school theres a $300 fine for fighting, even in self defense. Add $100 for blood. You'll be fine, just argue the suspension and do exactly what ilanbq said. Thats the best advice you can get.

ilanbg

12-09-2006 17:19:00

[quotef9113f8026="CollidgeGraduit"][quotef9113f8026="bballp6699"]Why do people never bring up the fights they get their asses kicked in? I've never heard someone say, "well, back in high school this kid started shit with me, and then kicked my ass."

I don't believe a word of it.[/quotef9113f8026]

Why [bf9113f8026]would[/bf9113f8026] someone bring up a fight that they got their ass kicked in? There's not much point in that.[/quotef9113f8026]

I think it would be funny if schools started suspending kids who got beat up as well.

Because I would totally racketeer from it. I would contract the kids who planned on dropping out to beat up the star students who didn't pay me to keep the goons off of them.

Man, now that I think about it, that would be awesome. It would be like a high-school mafia.

bballp6699

12-09-2006 17:20:53

Yeah of course. I just think it's funny when people tell stories and always end it with them kicking someones ass.

nobody2000

12-09-2006 18:03:19

most fights end in draws...at least the pussy fights I've seen

johnjimjones

12-09-2006 18:12:04

sucks to see that happen especially when you have an good resume (NHS etc) buit up. There were a lot of kids I wanted to fight, but I've always known better.

Tsmith10803

12-09-2006 18:12:55

I've only got in one fight, and it was some asshole who kicked my friend who's a girl, and I broke his nose 8)
Since then, if someone bigger then me wants to fight and I know I'd get my ass kicked, I joke around with them, if you make them laugh, they don't wanna fight anymore and I am actually friends with anyone who's ever wanted to kick my ass )
As for the college thing, everyone makes mistakes, I'm sure there are TONS of people in any school you go to that have gotten into fights, including proffessors and most faculty of the school. They've all made mistakes and I'm almost positive they'd look past it.

KnightTrader

12-09-2006 18:25:54

Meh quit complaining. Its one fight, Colleges won't care much. If you really do care, Do the whole It was wrong and I understand thing and ask to keep it off your record. I don't get into fights either. Probably because im pretty flexible with people, And I don't start shit, I keep it all humurous.

mnx12

12-09-2006 19:18:44

Uhmm dude, heres the best piece of advice you can have Dont worry about the future, other people, and consequences. Do whatever you feel like doing, life will be much better for you. Nobody will ever understand what I am telling you, it will always be read the wrong way, but its the truth.

TFOAF

12-09-2006 19:21:32

Like I told ya before man, there's nothing to worry about. College's don't care about that. They care about your GPA and your SAT score. And it was a one time thing only. It's not like your some big bully in school lighting kids on fire. ^_^

It's okay. There's no need to get overly upset about it. ;)

dmorris68

12-09-2006 19:50:12

[quote1b1b2fb601="mnx12"]Uhmm dude, heres the best piece of advice you can have Dont worry about the future, other people, and consequences. Do whatever you feel like doing, life will be much better for you. Nobody will ever understand what I am telling you, it will always be read the wrong way, but its the truth.[/quote1b1b2fb601]
Umm... wow.

That's possibly the absolute worst piece of advice I've ever heard a person give. Of course I'm sure I'm "reading it the wrong way" though.

But back to the original subject be contrite and ask that it not go on your record. If you stay out of trouble, I doubt it'll hurt you at all. If you're trying for a full ride to Harvard, be concerned about getting it taken care of now. If you're just trying to get accepted to almost any "ordinary" University, don't sweat it too much, but you should still considerin showing how sorry you are and how concerned you are for your record.

Admin

12-09-2006 19:57:18

i had a 5 day out of school suspension (the maximum punishment short of expulsion) in high school and i don't think it really hurt my college apps that much. they all give you a place where you can write about past disciplinary actions.

Tsmith10803

12-09-2006 20:29:48

I had mono and was out of school for 7 weeks (Teachers came to my house to teach me), I went back to school when I had 3 days left, I pulled my friends chair out from under him, he hit his head, and I got a 3 day oss, lol.

johnjimjones

12-09-2006 20:37:21

[quoted04a588560="Tsmith10803"]I had mono and was out of school for 7 weeks (Teachers came to my house to teach me), I went back to school when I had 3 days left, I pulled my friends chair out from under him, he hit his head, and I got a 3 day oss, lol.[/quoted04a588560]

7 WEEKS??? I've never heard of that. I had mono and it lasted a week and I waited til the last second to go to the doctor.

schizerbone

12-09-2006 20:37:49

[quote86673ed96b="bballp6699"]I can fix your busted up glasses and braces for $10.[/quote86673ed96b]

Haha @ you....you know how to fix glasses and braces....what a nerd.

JKirk

12-09-2006 20:49:38

[quotefbe06478e4="schizerbone"][quotefbe06478e4="bballp6699"]I can fix your busted up glasses and braces for $10.[/quotefbe06478e4]

Haha @ you....you know how to fix glasses and braces....what a nerd.[/quotefbe06478e4]

YA FO REAL, NERD!!!! A4F MODS TEAMING UP ON BBALLP LAWL, FTW!!!

Dave82

12-09-2006 20:56:30

[quote408250218b="mnx12"]Uhmm dude, heres the best piece of advice you can have Dont worry about the future, other people, and consequences. Do whatever you feel like doing, life will be much better for you. Nobody will ever understand what I am telling you, it will always be read the wrong way, but its the truth.[/quote408250218b]

Dude....WTF? Was that sarcasm??? DONT WORRY ABOUT THE FUTURE, OTHER PEOPLE, AND CONSEQUENCES.
Also drop out of school too and use drugs and have unprotected sex with strangers.

I kinda like the fact that he is so upset about how this will affect his college. Damn, this kid actually gives a shit about his future instead of saying, "hey i have 2 days to sleep in and watch tv."

Kid, try and explain your case. Say you went too far in a prank, but he did hit you. Feel out the rest. If the principal isnt liking that and saying, "well you should not have dont that yadda," then go along with him. But let him know that you have worked so hard for college and would really like this striken from your record and you'd be willing to do anything for that.

Also, colleges get many applicants. They look at gpa and SAT score so you should be fine. The fact that you care shows you have your head screwed on right and i think you will do just fine D

MNX, i get your concept of the world not understanding and to be yourself, but you are a fool to think you should not care what others think. You should not let what others think AFFECT you, but you should care. My favorite is the people who tattoo their fingers and faces as self expression BUT THEN CANNOT GET A DECENT JOB.

You will be judged. You will have a boss to answer to. The world will have discrimination. Get use to it. Doesnt mean you have to conform, but you have to be aware.

Your actions have consequences. COnsequences affect your future. Some people care. Maybe you should.
I get what you are trying to say. I do, but you you said it was so irresponsible.

The system can use you or you can use the system.

Tsmith10803

12-09-2006 21:01:36

[quoteb65e4bb48d="johnjimjones"][quoteb65e4bb48d="Tsmith10803"]I had mono and was out of school for 7 weeks (Teachers came to my house to teach me), I went back to school when I had 3 days left, I pulled my friends chair out from under him, he hit his head, and I got a 3 day oss, lol.[/quoteb65e4bb48d]

7 WEEKS??? I've never heard of that. I had mono and it lasted a week and I waited til the last second to go to the doctor.[/quoteb65e4bb48d]

I started faking it towards the end. but for a good 5 weeks I actually was sick, my spleen got enlarged and inflamed because of the mono, and that was painful -( But my friend who I got mono from, she was out for 9 weeks, but she faked about, 5-6 weeks of it lol

Dave82

12-09-2006 21:05:11

[quotecceec81c6b="Tsmith10803"][quotecceec81c6b="johnjimjones"][quotecceec81c6b="Tsmith10803"]I had mono and was out of school for 7 weeks (Teachers came to my house to teach me), I went back to school when I had 3 days left, I pulled my friends chair out from under him, he hit his head, and I got a 3 day oss, lol.[/quotecceec81c6b]

7 WEEKS??? I've never heard of that. I had mono and it lasted a week and I waited til the last second to go to the doctor.[/quotecceec81c6b]

I started faking it towards the end. but for a good 5 weeks I actually was sick, my spleen got enlarged and inflamed because of the mono, and that was painful -( But my friend who I got mono from, she was out for 9 weeks, but she faked about, 5-6 weeks of it lol[/quotecceec81c6b]

Haha, i did this. I fake 3 weeks of this. But the work you have to make up sucks. And i swear i started to miss school after a few weeks. I know that's strange, but true. I took a semester off after my undergrad and i missed being on campus. You have the rest of your life to not be in school. Be in school while you can. Infact, what can i do after a JD....

kdollar

12-09-2006 21:25:54

doesn't matter let it go, if ur grades are good and ur involvement is high, and if your luckily a minority you will get accepted, they only care about a track record of incidents, one fight wont due you in, dont stress so much, and stay out of anymore fights.

geej86

12-09-2006 21:47:49

[quoteed052bad4c="mnx12"]Uhmm dude, heres the best piece of advice you can have Dont worry about the future, other people, and consequences. Do whatever you feel like doing, life will be much better for you. Nobody will ever understand what I am telling you, it will always be read the wrong way, but its the truth.[/quoteed052bad4c]

plus karma

Tsmith10803

12-09-2006 21:53:25

[quote2e90012862="Dave82"][quote2e90012862="Tsmith10803"][quote2e90012862="johnjimjones"][quote2e90012862="Tsmith10803"]I had mono and was out of school for 7 weeks (Teachers came to my house to teach me), I went back to school when I had 3 days left, I pulled my friends chair out from under him, he hit his head, and I got a 3 day oss, lol.[/quote2e90012862]

7 WEEKS??? I've never heard of that. I had mono and it lasted a week and I waited til the last second to go to the doctor.[/quote2e90012862]

I started faking it towards the end. but for a good 5 weeks I actually was sick, my spleen got enlarged and inflamed because of the mono, and that was painful -( But my friend who I got mono from, she was out for 9 weeks, but she faked about, 5-6 weeks of it lol[/quote2e90012862]

Haha, i did this. I fake 3 weeks of this. But the work you have to make up sucks. And i swear i started to miss school after a few weeks. I know that's strange, but true. I took a semester off after my undergrad and i missed being on campus. You have the rest of your life to not be in school. Be in school while you can. Infact, what can i do after a JD....[/quote2e90012862]
agreed, but this whole time I stayed on top of my work, chilled with my friend who was out as well, worked online, and developed some cool uses for AOL Cds...Great weeks....great weeks indeed )
I could'nt wait for school to start this summer, I would be like, at a party with my friend and just stand there with a blank stare..."Damn, I wish I was at school" lol

Powerbook

13-09-2006 04:53:01

Yah, I am in idiot. I am president of some clubs, and I do a lot of stuff in school. I am emailing the principal right now. This is the stupidest mistake I have ever made. People were trying for me to fight this kid because they did not like him. They were calling me a pussy. So i pushed and shoved him, but I refused to punch him. So not only am I a pussy in some people's eyes, I am suspended from school. ( This has to be the most foolish thing I have done. It is as if I was a little child. I don't think my parents will ever let me drive to school now or go out late at night. They lost their trust in me. All the hard work I put in is falling apart and I am trying to reassemble the pieces. Thanks for the advice guys. I am trying to fix things.

jadem

13-09-2006 08:04:44

Wow, that sucks. I agree with those that say to contact the principal. If he's not a jackass, he'll listen. )

Btw, I got into one minor altercation that ended up with me getting my ass kicked (in a way) and neither of us getting into trouble.

I called a female friend of mine a "Ho" back when I was 11 or 12 (I grew up in Gary, IN, she WAS a ho) and she pushed me out of my chair. Now, normally this wouldn't be an issue, but we were in science class, and my head hit the corner of one of the lab tables. I thought I was ok until I brought my hand around to see it and there was blood on it. I raised my other hand and said, "My head is bleeding."

Yeah, that followed me for at least two years after the incident. ;) Oh, and they didn't send me home, even though I was bleeding from the injury.

Powerbook

13-09-2006 08:16:36

[quotef04324c785="jadem"]Wow, that sucks. I agree with those that say to contact the principal. If he's not a jackass, he'll listen. )

Btw, I got into one minor altercation that ended up with me getting my ass kicked (in a way) and neither of us getting into trouble.

I called a female friend of mine a "Ho" back when I was 11 or 12 (I grew up in Gary, IN, she WAS a ho) and she pushed me out of my chair. Now, normally this wouldn't be an issue, but we were in science class, and my head hit the corner of one of the lab tables. I thought I was ok until I brought my hand around to see it and there was blood on it. I raised my other hand and said, "My head is bleeding."

Yeah, that followed me for at least two years after the incident. ;) Oh, and they didn't send me home, even though I was bleeding from the injury.[/quotef04324c785]

I hope he takes this off my permanent record. I offered community service. He told me since i shoved him and he punched me in their eyes it is a fight. Also, he said since I am to blame for starting this it takes two to tango. So, yeah sucks. I emailed him and I guess my mom did too. I hope he conciders me being a good student otherwise. I'm not sure he will take the community service into concideration. I hope he does. Both the principal and vice principal are new so just my luck.... They wanna show how tough they are and set an example.

zdub08

13-09-2006 14:18:48

[quote7d164167af="Powerbook"]Yah, I am in idiot. I am president of some clubs, and I do a lot of stuff in school. I am emailing the principal right now. This is the stupidest mistake I have ever made. People were trying for me to fight this kid because they did not like him. They were calling me a pussy. So i pushed and shoved him, but I refused to punch him. So not only am I a pussy in some people's eyes, I am suspended from school. ( This has to be the most foolish thing I have done. It is as if I was a little child. [b7d164167af]I don't think my parents will ever let me drive to school now[/b7d164167af] or go out late at night. They lost their trust in me. [b7d164167af]All the hard work I put in is falling apart and I am trying to reassemble the pieces.[/b7d164167af] Thanks for the advice guys. I am trying to fix things.[/quote7d164167af]
shock

you got in one fight in your whole life.. you'll be fine.

Powerbook

13-09-2006 14:25:05

[quote35ec725307="zdub08"][quote35ec725307="Powerbook"]Yah, I am in idiot. I am president of some clubs, and I do a lot of stuff in school. I am emailing the principal right now. This is the stupidest mistake I have ever made. People were trying for me to fight this kid because they did not like him. They were calling me a pussy. So i pushed and shoved him, but I refused to punch him. So not only am I a pussy in some people's eyes, I am suspended from school. ( This has to be the most foolish thing I have done. It is as if I was a little child. [b35ec725307]I don't think my parents will ever let me drive to school now[/b35ec725307] or go out late at night. They lost their trust in me. [b35ec725307]All the hard work I put in is falling apart and I am trying to reassemble the pieces.[/b35ec725307] Thanks for the advice guys. I am trying to fix things.[/quote35ec725307]
shock

you got in one fight in your whole life.. you'll be fine.[/quote35ec725307]

Yeah, but I'll have to plead my case to stay in NHS, then hope colleges won't hold this against me. Now kids are giving me shit telling me i am a pussy for not punching his lights out when I am bigger than him. If you ask me I could have really hurt him and payed a bigger price that way....

KeithA

13-09-2006 14:36:13

True story When I was VP of the NHS at my high school and my buddy was Treasurer, he was stripped of his title for filling in "enjoyed shoving large objects up his ass" for a fill-in-the-blank question about Voltaire on an Honors World History exam.

lol

But seriously though, you'll be fine. Just keep on demonstratin' remorsefulness and it will blow over. I got threatened with expulsion once or twice two, and most of the time they're really just trying to make sure you're sorry for what you did.

Powerbook

13-09-2006 14:43:28

[quote8520d726fa="KeithA"]True story When I was VP of the NHS at my high school and my buddy was Treasurer, he was stripped of his title for filling in "enjoyed shoving large objects up his ass" for a fill-in-the-blank question about Voltaire on an Honors World History exam.

lol

But seriously though, you'll be fine. Just keep on demonstratin' remorsefulness and it will blow over. I got threatened with expulsion once or twice two, and most of the time they're really just trying to make sure you're sorry for what you did.[/quote8520d726fa]

heh. Hope it all goes over well.

tylerc

13-09-2006 16:06:43

Chill, why would your parents lose trust in you over you defending yourself in a fight. Also, if you explain it to colleges, I'm sure they will understand.

Relax, it's a fight.

Powerbook

13-09-2006 16:17:16

well, I am kinda upset they give me this punishment for it. Even if i "provoked" him by touching him with a breadstick he didn't have to hit me. Since this is a new administration they wanna prove they all big and tough. I might consider fighting this like you guys said.

bballp6699

13-09-2006 16:49:18

[quotea22077cca6="schizerbone"][quotea22077cca6="bballp6699"]I can fix your busted up glasses and braces for $10.[/quotea22077cca6]

Haha @ you....you know how to fix glasses and braces....what a nerd.[/quotea22077cca6]

Chuckle?

Powerbook

13-09-2006 16:53:58

[quote24f9709071="bballp6699"][quote24f9709071="schizerbone"][quote24f9709071="bballp6699"]I can fix your busted up glasses and braces for $10.[/quote24f9709071]

Haha @ you....you know how to fix glasses and braces....what a nerd.[/quote24f9709071]

Chuckle?[/quote24f9709071]

crazy bball )

Powerbook

23-09-2006 07:12:36

Update I presented myself so well to the National Honors Society board, that I got a unanimous vote to keep me in. It all took place in 5 minutes. So screw you fat principal man. ) So, this should level the playing field for the college apps.

megotcash

23-09-2006 09:24:23

^congrats on staying in.

oh, and for advice on future fights, do what i do! crawl into the fetal position and start to cry. they may make jokes, but it's much better than having them make you get an ouchie. this is what i did, and i turned out perfectly normal-ed

Powerbook

23-09-2006 09:26:41

[quote6b2d35f3eb="megotcash"]^congrats on staying in.

oh, and for advice on future fights, do what i do! crawl into the fetal position and start to cry. they may make jokes, but it's much better than having them make you get an ouchie. this is what i did, and i turned out perfectly normal-ed[/quote6b2d35f3eb]

haha!

burritopunk

23-09-2006 09:44:42

You're going to be fine, dude. People that have committed felonies get into college.