Anyone in here A+, Network+, or Microsoft certified?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=45557

TryinToGetPaid

10-09-2006 18:33:20

If you are, what study tools have you used? And can you recommend any books or software?

Also, how has your certification helped you in your real world job?

And one more, how many hours of real time work did you have before you were certified?

And if no one has, you all aren't as cool as I once thought D

PsychoAU

10-09-2006 18:50:27

I have Network+. It won't help you get far in life. A 4 year degree serves you better long term. Those certs might get you in the door if you have no other experience or training. It won't help you advance in an organization.

So yeah, if you have no other way to get in an entry level job, go for it. Otherwise, get a 4 year degree and a good internship.

TryinToGetPaid

10-09-2006 18:52:49

I am not looking to advance, I am looking to get my foot in the door. Whether I choose computer repair or networking.

h3x

10-09-2006 18:56:11

I have both A+ and Network+... and look where I'm at now... Working at a god damn hotel. (but it pays fair and it's easy... I just sit around from 12am to 8am and I really only do 3 hours of work and all the free Coca-Cola I want) lol

I recommend you check out http//mcmcse.com[]http//mcmcse.com

They have Free Tests and Study Guides... Also a forum if you need help on a certain certification... I used these resources and passed both my A+ and Net+ on the first shot.

TryinToGetPaid

10-09-2006 18:58:20

Thanks h3x, but I already know of this site. And why are you working at a hotel if you have your certs, when you could be doing so much more?

h3x

10-09-2006 19:01:34

[quote08054ae891="TryinToGetPaid"]Thanks h3x, but I already know of this site. And why are you working at a hotel if you have your certs, when you could be doing so much more?[/quote08054ae891]

Because I live in Rural Alaska and there aren't too many job opportunities at this present time. Of course, as soon as one opens up, I'll go after it... But this is the best that's available to me right now, other than shit work (gutting fish, scrubbing toilets and working at Wal-Mart)... lol

PsychoAU

10-09-2006 19:02:15

[quote18cb973f86="TryinToGetPaid"]Thanks h3x, but I already know of this site. And why are you working at a hotel if you have your certs, when you could be doing so much more?[/quote18cb973f86]

That's the thing. You can't do so much more. The market is flooded with jackasses who have certs. Any idiot can do basic computer repair. So there are very little jobs out there. People think they have skilled IT jobs, but the truth is that any monkey could do it. That is why those certs are basically useless on a resume when you try to find a real job.

Unless you go for a high range Cisco cert or the MCSE or something, anything less isn't worth the time.

h3x

10-09-2006 19:06:17

Well it is worth noting that I have a business license for a Computer Repair business...

But stupid me, I haven't bothered putting my name out there at all... (there's only 2 competitors where I live)... and the major competitor is known to gouge people in the ass [i.e. he charges $70 for virus scan and spyware cleaning].

It's just that I've been so focused on my job at the hotel, that I don't have time to do the computer repair job. I really should starting getting my name out there... I know if I focused hard on advertising, which I can advertise my company on the local public access scanner channel for only $100 a month, i could easily take at least 30-40% of my major competitor's business.

TryinToGetPaid

10-09-2006 19:06:35

My plan was to do A+, then Network+ and go after the various Microsoft certifications.

Or the backup was to go after CISCO certs, and do networking for a company.

h3x

10-09-2006 19:08:52

Word of advice... I would suggest you go for your MCSE first if you're going to do certifications... I wish I would have done that ?

TryinToGetPaid

10-09-2006 19:12:09

Why would you suggest that?

I think the more logical thing would be to do what I am doing, but if not, lemme know.

h3x

10-09-2006 19:14:55

[quotebc9fd391e6="TryinToGetPaid"]Why would you suggest that?

I think the more logical thing would be to do what I am doing, but if not, lemme know.[/quotebc9fd391e6]

Because I had a job opportunity once I got to Alaska to work as the network administrator for the entire school district... It paid GOOD money. When I went in to talk with the superintendent.. The first question he asked me was.. "Do you have your Microsoft Certified System Engineer certification?".... Since I didn't, it cost me the position...

TryinToGetPaid

10-09-2006 19:32:02

Hm. Good enough reason for me -)

PsychoAU

10-09-2006 19:34:00

That's like I said. MCSE is about the only one that is worth anything. It and the mid to high level Cisco ones. Don't bother on the entry level Cisco certs.

TryinToGetPaid

10-09-2006 19:35:39

Could you give me a list of these "mid to high level" Cisco certs?

Also, do many companies ask about A+ or Network+ or is it like h3x said and just MCSE?

PsychoAU

10-09-2006 19:54:03

If all you are doing is straight tech work and installations and what not, then you can get by with an A+. But if you are going to design and administer a networking solution then you would need MCSE or MCSA. A+ and Network+ are more hardware oriented because that is all you know at that level. Network+ is about what type of cable to use and what connectors and what routers, etc. A+ is about installing a sound card, troubleshooting a printer connections, etc.

Save your money, skip ahead, and get a better job out of it.

TryinToGetPaid

10-09-2006 19:57:44

I really appreciate it Psycho. +K. I currently have TESTOUT MCSE, have you heard of / used this program before?

Allen626

10-09-2006 20:48:58

A+ = Entry level tech support
N+ = Certified Networking Retard
CCNA = Means something, its hard though
MCSE = Congrats you found a rich company to pay for meaningless certs

Fugger

10-09-2006 21:35:18

I have my CCNA and am working on my CCNP... They are nice to have, but not everything. Early to mid 90's certs were everything. You could walk in the door, no college, and have a pretty good job. Now, thanks to brain dumps, and, well.... cheaters, the certificate game has all but gone to crap.

Certs aren't to the point where they are worthless (besides A+, N+ and MCP) but I would recommend getting your 4 year from a good college and deciding which way you want to go.

Like networking? Go Cisco. Like working on servers? Go Microsoft. Like something else? Go get it. Focusing on your 4 year + a cert will put you better off. I went the cert route right out of HS and decided to go back to college which it will now take me 8 years to graduate.

Class of 2012.

icy

10-09-2006 22:17:31

i have a+ and mcp (and an attempted ccna - ran out of time and failed test)

dont bother with a+, its basically a joke. plus its an expensive joke. I guess read the study material if you dont know your stuff but dont bother with the exam.

dont bother with network+ unless it is going to help you get a job you want. work your way up to mcse and then start to look into stuff like security and server certifications.

also note that cisco certifications expire after 3 years and you must take an updated exam to remain certified. Unless your are going to be dealing with cisco equipment, dont bother. Take it from me, unless you have a job that utilizes what you learn, you will forget everything in 3 months.

Fugger

10-09-2006 22:44:02

[quote127d9d7f7f="icy"]
... also note that cisco certifications expire after 3 years and you must take an updated exam to remain certified....[/quote127d9d7f7f]

Last time I had to recert it was 5 years... Not saying you're wrong but if they have changed it, I'm grandfathered on 5.

shaggz

11-09-2006 07:16:25

I did a bit o' college, got microsoft and novell certiified ... started as just a tech at a local computer repair shop ... grew to service manager there .. then got offered much better position at multiple places i was doing work for ... I took one of those, so I'm now an IT Director ..... and I love it )

TryinToGetPaid

11-09-2006 07:54:18

What is novell, I heard of it, but right now too lazy to look it up.

icy

11-09-2006 09:02:50

a near dead server operating system. the security control is at an anal level, so its kinda hard to use.

TryinToGetPaid

11-09-2006 09:22:14

Thanks. I figured it was an OS, but I haven't heard about it in a REALLY long time, which is why I most likely forgot.

Has anyone used the TESTOUT programs? (No one answered before)
Using them for an hour, it is a lot easier with someone telling and showing you what to do, as opposed to pictures and words to read.

dmorris68

11-09-2006 10:12:56

Actually, Netware was the network OS produced by Novell. They have pretty much gotten out of the Netware business, and now concentrate more on the Linux market. They own Suse Linux, and are rolling out a new Linux-based network suite which aims to replace Netware.

shaggz

11-09-2006 13:45:56

[quotecf98760740="dmorris68"]Actually, Netware was the network OS produced by Novell. They have pretty much gotten out of the Netware business, and now concentrate more on the Linux market. They own Suse Linux, and are rolling out a new Linux-based network suite which aims to replace Netware.[/quotecf98760740]

I just think you like to use the word "Linux" as much as you can dmorris ...

lol lol

Yah, FWIW, I got the Certified Novell Administrator for Netware 5.0 I know a lot of school systems around here still use it, but I think I may have used what I learned there maybe 1-2 times in the 4 years I was a On-Site Service Technician... Couple Server reloads on Insurance Companies and maybe 1 or two occasions where I helped a local School System make some changes with there setup .... Other than that, I've always seen it as "dead" and have been mainly into microsoft, with (here and there) dabblings of Linux, just Slackware Linux and a bit of Redhat.

dmorris68

11-09-2006 13:48:12

[quotef745fb234c="shaggz"][quotef745fb234c="dmorris68"]Actually, Netware was the network OS produced by Novell. They have pretty much gotten out of the Netware business, and now concentrate more on the Linux market. They own Suse Linux, and are rolling out a new Linux-based network suite which aims to replace Netware.[/quotef745fb234c]

lol lol[/quotef745fb234c]
I Linux have Linux no idea Linux what you're Linux talking about Linux.

Ya Srsly.

Linux.

P

shaggz

11-09-2006 13:54:22

[quote2cdbe8dabc="dmorris68"][quote2cdbe8dabc="shaggz"][quote2cdbe8dabc="dmorris68"]Actually, Netware was the network OS produced by Novell. They have pretty much gotten out of the Netware business, and now concentrate more on the Linux market. They own Suse Linux, and are rolling out a new Linux-based network suite which aims to replace Netware.[/quote2cdbe8dabc]

lol lol[/quote2cdbe8dabc]
I Linux have Linux no idea Linux what you're Linux talking about Linux.

Ya Srsly.

Linux.

P[/quote2cdbe8dabc]

Sorry Off-Topic (but Linux Related)

http//www.arouse.net/despair-linux/ubuntu.jpg

Art of Deception (Warning 18+ (boobies))
http//www.poptix.net/funny/linuxVbsd/g8.jpg