Computer Problems

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=45441

stackmjwiz

07-09-2006 13:12:21

There is a computer in my house that has a ton of spyware on it because someone did not regularly run anti-virus & anti-spyware programs.

It is near impossible to use the computer as it is now. It runs so slow & there are pop-ups everywhere. I wanted to reinstall XP and see if it could be fixed, but couldn't find any useful tutorials.

How to I reinstall XP, reformat hard drive? I don't care about the data, I just want to see if this computer can be saved.

TFOAF

07-09-2006 13:17:46

The computer can be saved. Talk to me on AIM, I can lead you through the installing/formatting process. It's a good feeling once it's all clean. D

emoneymaker2006

07-09-2006 13:18:21

just insert the XP cd in the drive and click on new installation when the option comes up.

It should indicate that you might lose data, programs etc - but just click on ok and continue.

You might need to input the Cd again and then the whole re-installation process will start.

Since you want to reformat the drive - just don't select the "repair Drive" option.

I hope my memory serves me right on this one.

TFOAF

07-09-2006 13:35:12

I'd recommend doing a manual format though, in the System Recovery Console, and then re-installing Windows.

Just make sure you have the installation CD and the Serial Number that came with your Windows product. You'll need to reactivate it as well, once it's been re-installed.

[ba65d445856]format C /fsNTFS[/ba65d445856] - that would be the command used in the System Recovery Console. The SRC can be accessed by inserting your Windows installation CD during BOOTUP (when you turn your computer on), and selecting System Recovery Console, or something of that matter. Then a DOS like screen would come up. You enter any administrator password if it asks you for it, and then you select your C Drive. Then you can type in that command [ba65d445856]format C /fsNTFS[/ba65d445856]

It will then ask for your confirmation to go about formatting your hard drive.

Make note that doing that wipes out your entire system. All files, folders, documents, software, etc. will be completely wiped out, as well as your Windows installation.

After the computer is formatted, you can reboot with the Windows CD in the CD drive, boot from it, and begin your installation.

Once Windows is re-installed, you will need to install any other 3rd party drivers, such as for your sound card, video card, etc. So if your screen looks a little messed up, it's because you need to install the video card driver, from the manufacturer's website.

After that, your computer should be good as new. )