PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE WHICH PLASMA TO GET!!!!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=45367

rome138.Freebie

05-09-2006 21:20:13

ok so i bought the Panasonic TH50PX600U[=http//www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&itemId=97563&modelNo=TH-50PX600U&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702&surfModel=TH-50PX600U&catGroupId=24973&surfCategory=Plasma%20TVs&displayTab=S]Panasonic TH50PX600U but haven't picked it up yet. I keep thinking about the new SamsungHP-S5073[=http//www.samsung.com/Products/TV/PlasmaTV/HPS5073XXAA.asp]SamsungHP-S5073 and don't know really which one is better.

The sales rep keep saying the colors and image quality are better on this samsung but i can't really see it. I can def tell the panny is brighter!

On samsung page they claim "13-bit Processing - This method produces 549 billion lifelike colors and aids in video signal processing of analog sources to ensure a more natural and vivid picture."

How do i find out what the Panasonic has? It says on the website it displays 29 Billion colors so is it 29Bil vs 549Bil or are these specs different and u can't compare the two? and [ba51dd2b2f6]how important is this spec to image quality?[/ba51dd2b2f6]

I was told by a tweeter rep that the [ba51dd2b2f6]Shades of Gradation[/ba51dd2b2f6] is the [ba51dd2b2f6]most important spec for image quality [/ba51dd2b2f6] and that the panasonic has 3,072 while the samsung has a little over 2,000. Is this true about this being the most important spec for image quality and that the samsung has a little over 2,000. Can anyone confirm this or add to it?

Basically i'm [ba51dd2b2f6]trying to figure out which set has the better technology that is producing the better picture[/ba51dd2b2f6]

should i stick with the panny or go with the samsung for like ~$180 more...

I've been beating my head about this constantly for a few days now and I want to come to a decision by thursday and pick the set up... (

PLEASE PLEASE help me...especially from people with experience with these sets/companies/plasmas and just people who are tech savvy in this area!!!

thanks

J4320

05-09-2006 21:27:51

[quote854f0fa7ca="rome138.Freebie"]ok so i bought the Panasonic TH50PX600U[=http//www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&itemId=97563&modelNo=TH-50PX600U&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702&surfModel=TH-50PX600U&catGroupId=24973&surfCategory=Plasma%20TVs&displayTab=S]Panasonic TH50PX600U but haven't picked it up yet. I keep thinking about the new SamsungHP-S5073[=http//www.samsung.com/Products/TV/PlasmaTV/HPS5073XXAA.asp]SamsungHP-S5073 and don't know really which one is better.

The sales rep keep saying the colors and image quality are better on this samsung but i can't really see it. I can def tell the panny is brighter!

On samsung page they claim "13-bit Processing - This method produces 549 billion lifelike colors and aids in video signal processing of analog sources to ensure a more natural and vivid picture."

How do i find out what the Panasonic has? It says on the website it displays 29 Billion colors so is it 29Bil vs 549Bil or are these specs different and u can't compare the two? and [b854f0fa7ca]how important is this spec to image quality?[/b854f0fa7ca]

I was told by a tweeter rep that the [b854f0fa7ca]Shades of Gradation[/b854f0fa7ca] is the [b854f0fa7ca]most important spec for image quality [/b854f0fa7ca] and that the panasonic has 3,072 while the samsung has a little over 2,000. Is this true about this being the most important spec for image quality and that the samsung has a little over 2,000. Can anyone confirm this or add to it?

Basically i'm [b854f0fa7ca]trying to figure out which set has the better technology that is producing the better picture[/b854f0fa7ca]

should i stick with the panny or go with the samsung for like ~$180 more...

[b854f0fa7ca]I've been beating my head about this constantly for a few days[/size854f0fa7ca][/b854f0fa7ca]now and I want to come to a decision by thursday and pick the set up... (

PLEASE PLEASE help me...especially from people with experience with these sets/companies/plasmas and just people who are tech savvy in this area!!!

thanks[/quote854f0fa7ca]

Does masturbating help to clear your thought process?

lol

Okay in all serioussness I think you should go for the Samsung. The Panasonic probably seems brighter to you because it doesn't have the anti-glare.

I'm going to get something like this soon once/if I get my check from I-Deal. I'm going to wait until Black Friday though because I here they have killer TV deals during that time.

rome138.Freebie

06-09-2006 11:59:58

any other opinions??? i seriously can't decide!!!

Wolfeman

06-09-2006 12:16:03

I perfer Panny to Samsung.

Kidd

06-09-2006 14:57:05

no plasma is the best plasma

lcd's or dlps

J4320

06-09-2006 15:13:23

[quote83ccbe4f77="Kidd"]no plasma is the best plasma

lcd's or dlps[/quote83ccbe4f77]

Yeah that's also how I think. I've heard how DLP's are good but what are they? I suppose I could just google it and find out but if anyone could give me a simple answer that would be great.

dmorris68

06-09-2006 17:34:40

If you want a plasma, Panasonic makes the best plasmas.

If you want a DLP, Samsung is your top choice.

Personally, I only like a plasma to hang on the wall. They look way better than LCD's at sizes greater than 37". I don't like LCD's larger than that, they look pretty bad compared to the other technologies.

If hanging on the wall is not a requirement, and you want 42" or larger, go with DLP (if you're on a budget), or LCoS/SXRD (if you can spend a bit more).

The Sony SXRD is the best looking large-format display I've ever laid eyes on. Cheaper than plasma, looks better than plasma, none of the drawbacks of plasma. Except you can't hang it on the wall. ;)

rome138.Freebie

08-09-2006 22:25:05

[quote1d46e0118d="dmorris68"]If you want a plasma, Panasonic makes the best plasmas.

If you want a DLP, Samsung is your top choice.

Personally, I only like a plasma to hang on the wall. They look way better than LCD's at sizes greater than 37". I don't like LCD's larger than that, they look pretty bad compared to the other technologies.

If hanging on the wall is not a requirement, and you want 42" or larger, go with DLP (if you're on a budget), or LCoS/SXRD (if you can spend a bit more).

The Sony SXRD is the best looking large-format display I've ever laid eyes on. Cheaper than plasma, looks better than plasma, none of the drawbacks of plasma. Except you can't hang it on the wall. ;)[/quote1d46e0118d]

Panasonic does not make the best plamas....Pioneer and Fujitsu do...

I agress with the sony sxrd....if i didn't want to hang my tv on a wall and wanted a nice big tv...i'd get the 60" or 70" sony sxrd...best for gaming and everything...

but the sony 46 LCD Bravia XBR is the best LCD you can get by far...LCDs do come larger now...samsung has some 60+ inch out there and just a few weeks ago they announced they have made a 70inch model...though i saw the 60+ one in best buy and it didn't look good...soo i'd wait a couple years on large LCD screens until they can get it right...

But i chose the samsung plasma 'cuz the detail on it was a lot better than the panasonic...the panasonic couldn't handle fast movement well and it would become to pixallated...i wasn't going to pay that price for pixallation

Wolfeman

08-09-2006 22:28:55

I perfer my Mitsubishi Diamond 62" rear projection DLP.
http//www.mitsubishi-tv.com/j/i/18326/TelevisionDetails.html?cid=29

dmorris68

09-09-2006 07:59:27

[quoteb29d265059="rome138.Freebie"]Panasonic does not make the best plamas....Pioneer and Fujitsu do...[/quoteb29d265059]
According to who? I would take a Panny over a Pioneer any day. Panasonic has long been considered the top choice in consumer level plasmas -- I'm not talking $10K-$20K pro-line stuff, although Panasonic also has a presence in that market as well. Pioneer Elite components are pretty good, and I've seen their plasmas get favorable reviews, but I've seen Panasonic win nearly every head-to-head with other plasmas. And Fujitsu? I didn't even consider them because they're pro-line. Hard to find (nobody around here sells them) and MSRP runs beyond $20K. The best price I found online from an unauth dealer on a 42" EDTV (not even HDTV) was $6K. I did find a $4K 50" HD model, that was the cheapest Fujitsu I could find -- everything else was $6K-$9K [ib29d265059]online[/ib29d265059]. Not something I'd recommend when people ask me for "the best plasma." If you can afford a Fujitsu, you'd probably assume the most expensive was the best and just walk in and buy one (if you could find one). ;) If you have $5K to spend on a TV, unless wall hanging is critically important to you, SXRD is a much better investment.

[quoteb29d265059="rome138.Freebie"]but the sony 46 LCD Bravia XBR is the best LCD you can get by far...LCDs do come larger now...samsung has some 60+ inch out there and just a few weeks ago they announced they have made a 70inch model...though i saw the 60+ one in best buy and it didn't look good...soo i'd wait a couple years on large LCD screens until they can get it right...[/quoteb29d265059]
I agree Sony makes the best 3LCD sets, but they still look like crap in large screen format. LCD does not work well at greater than 37", even the XBR Bravia line. For what that TV costs, I'd be pissed at the image quality. DLP looks better for less money. And SXRD beats it senseless for just a little more.

[quoteb29d265059="rome138.Freebie"]But i chose the samsung plasma 'cuz the detail on it was a lot better than the panasonic...the panasonic couldn't handle fast movement well and it would become to pixallated...i wasn't going to pay that price for pixallation[/quoteb29d265059]
Really? I've not seen a Panny plasma (or any plasma that I can think of) that produces artifacts. Even the cheap EDTV models. Were both displaying the same video source? If the source was poor quality, any high-quality TV will emphasise the poor quality. The worst plasmas I've seen have poor color reproduction and contrast ratios (which is normally something plasma's excel at).

rome138.Freebie

10-09-2006 23:45:16

everyone i've talked to at magnolia BB, tweeter, circuit city, or anyone whos knowledgable in this area all say pioneer...when comparing the two....not even the elite but the PDP series ...they look better. more money of course but in the long run worth it...

i'm just not investing much more in it 'cuz i got a great deal on the samsung and in a few years i'll just probably buy an elite anyways

and comparing the samsung 5073 to the panny 600U...everytime i do it...i just have to side with the samsung...just too pixallated and its not the video feed (they're all getting the same feed and the samsung is clean)

dmorris68

11-09-2006 05:46:57

[quote575ebe5beb="rome138.Freebie"]everyone i've talked to at magnolia BB, tweeter, circuit city, or anyone whos knowledgable in this area all say pioneer...[/quote575ebe5beb]
That's where you have to be careful -- I have yet to run into a truly knowledgeable person at any B&M store, even the more upscale ones like Tweeter. They are for the largest part, quite clueless about the technical details of what they sell. I cringe every time I walk through the aisles and hear them selling to someone. If you want to hear from real experts, check out places like AVSForum.com.

Also, the Pioneers I've looked at are not really any more expensive than Panny's. If fact I recalled them running a bit cheaper, but I haven't looked at plasma pricing in awhile, aside from the Fujitsu pricing I mentioned above.

But image quality is one of those highly subjective things. If you prefer the Samsung, then that's what you should go with. Samsung is a great brand and I like a lot of their stuff, I just prefer Panny's for plasmas. If you were going DLP, there would be no question IMO that Samsung is the best.

rome138.Freebie

12-09-2006 00:38:47

yea i've already posted and researched on avsforum...people that were deciding btwn the panny 600U and the sam5073 chose the sam5073...

and yes it is true how a good number of people selling at these stores dont know a lot at all about the technology...but i'm good at figuring out who knows what and how much and have been able to find the knowledgable ones....very few but they're there somewhere, heh...

iono the subpixel processing on the panny just drove me to buy the samsung5073...

burritopunk

12-09-2006 11:17:10

Working at a Circuit City, I can tell you it's hit or miss. Our store has some really knowledable, honest guys. In another store at our district, they are awful. Same with computers. I'd always just research online. $0.02.

Being a computer guy, I can't really be of much help to your question. What I do know however, is Samsung makes a great product, as does panasonic. I think Samsung's warranty might be longer though...