help putting in contact lenses

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=44874

Dave82

26-08-2006 18:39:56

my gf is having trouble getting in her contacts. everytime i or she tries to put them in, she blinks. I have 20/20 vision so i dont have experience with this.

Any one have any suggestions?

Is this normal? My cousin is 8 years old and the eye doctor gave her contacts and she gets them in fine every morning in 5 mins without the help of my aunt or uncle.

BD2006BD

26-08-2006 18:41:47

try going in from the side? put them in quickly? I don't know.. I put them in real quick because I do it everyday.

Dave82

26-08-2006 18:44:57

do you put the lenses straight in or tilt them in from an angle?

Also do you pry your eye open (by making a "V" with your fingers) or pull your eyelashes up?

She never wears her glasses (she needs them to see far - the board for example) and her eye doc said she needs to wear something or her perscription will keep going up.

Do you bring the lenses really close to the eye and they get "sucked" in or do you actually touch the eye?

burritopunk

26-08-2006 18:57:54

They touch the eye. Once its on your eye, it will center itself if you slowly blink.

I put mine on straight. just hold the bottom of your eye open so you can;t blink. it doesnt hurt.

KeithA

26-08-2006 18:59:13

Make sure her hands are very clean. Then make sure that the lense are moist with lens solution. Also, make sure that the lens is not inside-out; I don't know whether this applies to all types of lenses, but I was told that the curvature of the lens should resemble a rounded bowl. When my lenses are inside-out, their curvature is more angular.

I hold my eye firmly open with my fingers in a "v," as you said. I look as far upward as possible and then gently touch the lens to my eye. You don't have to press hard.

It took me a few weeks to get used to it. Wearing contacts is one of those totally singular experiences unlike anything else.

FilosopherStoner

26-08-2006 18:59:33

touch the eye. tell her to man up and just shove it in. I know its tough at first, but its easy to get used to. I usually just open my eyes wide, and put my finder on my cheak and let the bottom of the contact touch first the push it in.

Dave82

26-08-2006 19:05:10

She cant open her eye wide.

I was surprised actually how big they really are.

is this normal?? it seems like most people just tip them right in.

Buster389

26-08-2006 19:12:07

it takes awhile to get used to but once you wear them for awhile you get a rhythem and your own technique when putting them in.

I would suggest putting the contact on her right index finger without the edge touching the finger. have her puller her bottom eye lid down with her right middle finger and her top lid with her left middle finger. Then get the contact very close to the eye and then look up, push the contact strait onto the eye and then slowly look strait still holding the lids open. If she can see clearly through the contact then it is in correctly but if she can't what i do is use my right middle finger and move my bottom eyelid up and adjust the contact.

Like i said before it will take a few tries and sum time to get used to but she should get it.

tml09

26-08-2006 19:21:53

[quote7f7027a868]try going in from the side? put them in quickly? I don't know.. I put them in real quick because I do it everyday.
[/quote7f7027a868]

out of context, this is hilarious

Aurelius

26-08-2006 19:23:24

i got my contacts a couple months ago and for the first week or so i would blink right before the contact settled and it would pop up. i found that if i looked down right before i closed my eye, it wouldnt' pop out most of the time. the key is to take it slow so the contact will just pop onto the eye or else the contact will flip inside out on your finger. don't worry, after she gets the hang of it it'll be quick and easy

Killer722

26-08-2006 19:27:46

Yeah basically the solution is man up as mentioned.

toiletpaper55

26-08-2006 22:32:27

make sure she has both eyes open, like youll naturally close the other eye when trying to avoid the contact so make sure its wide open and place in the middle and close

when i first got contacts it took me a good like 15-20 minutes to ge them in

Dave82

27-08-2006 00:45:15

she just closes them everytime the lense gets really close to her eye.

these are all really great suggestions. I'll pass them along.

Psyc

27-08-2006 06:04:17

Just tell her to pry her eye open with one hand and put the contact on the tip of her index on the other. Then just lead the finger to her eye and rest it on her eyeball until the lense just sticks (like a suction cup) to her eye.

egyptianruin

27-08-2006 07:36:27

I used to not be able to put them in, but now I just hold down my lower lid and put it in. It takes some getting used to, putting in and leaving them in and even taking them out. Ive had the contact roll up in my eye and I had to flush my eye out to get it out, lol. It's all trial and error.

Dave82

27-08-2006 19:13:47

yeah... brings me to the next thing...

HOW DO YOU GET THEM OUT?

I've seen my friends "pinch" them out... if that makes sense. If see cant get close to her eye to let it suck in, then how is she gonna actually touch her eye to "pinch" it out?

jadem

28-08-2006 04:47:23

She'll have to touch her eye to pull them out.

Honestly, I'm really surprised that the eye doc let her go with the contacts, without having her put them in and take them out at the office. That's really not good on his/her part.

First time I got contacts, I spent 45 minutes in the office trying to put them in. But you know what? It really saved me time at home, and frustration.

Oh, also, if she's the type of gal to get acrylic nails, have her wait until she's been putting in the contacts and taking them out for a while before getting her nails done.