Domain status update question (registrar-lock)

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=44797

bruman

25-08-2006 09:24:18

I back-ordered a domain that is set to expire this october, and godaddy sends me alerts whenever the status of the domain changes. The most recent (and only) change was this

[bedb93f1ff3]The domain status has been changed[/bedb93f1ff3]
OLD REGISTRAR-LOCK
clientDeleteProhibited
clientUpdateProhibited
clientTransferProhibited

NEW REGISTRAR-LOCK
clientTransferProhibited

I'm not sure what this means. But I really want the domain. Is this good news or bad news? I'm unsure if they're going to renew the domain or going to let it die. It's set to expire in the beginning of october, and I backordered like 2-3 months ago.

dmorris68

25-08-2006 09:48:24

Domain lock is a hijack-proofing feature that prevents 3rd parties from taking over your domain. You have to use your registrar's control panel to modify the domain, or transfer it yourself, or whatever. Due to recent ICANN policy changes, any unscrupulous registrar can attempt to transfer your domain, and you only have 5 days to deny it. If you don't check e-mail, have a bad e-mail account in your WHOIS contact info, or for whatever reason can't respond in 5 days, your registrar MUST allow the transfer. The lock prevents that, because the domain can't be transferred until you unlock it. It has nothing to do with expiration -- if the domain expires, so does the lock. So you really can't tell from the current status whether somebody intends to renew it.

Most people are expected to renew their domains, so there's really no reason to think they won't renew unless you have some inside info to the contrary. So I wouldn't be banking on the expiration if I were you. If I'm not mistaken, there is a grace period after expiration that prevents squatters from grabbing a domain just because the original owner let the registration lapse for a few days. Not sure how long that is.